Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Which bike should I mod for a charity century on a budget?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-12, 12:51 PM
Mr_Slippery

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Brand new forum member here. I'm ready to start riding again after a multi-year layoff following ACL surgery. The immediate motivation is a charity century ride I'm planning to do in June, so I want to start training this week. I've got two bikes in the garage that are each differently unsuited for long-distance street riding: a well-cared for late 90s Motiv Sonora mtb; or a like new 2007 Jamis Commuter 2.0. I figure the former would need tires and bar ends; the latter would need a front derailleur, triple ring crankset, and a straight bar (I hate the bend-back bar it came with). In either case I guess I will need clipless pedals and shoes. I already ordered a new seat.

I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but figure I will probably need a shop to do any of these mods except the pedals. So option 3 is try to sell either or both and offset the cost of buying a ready-to-ride vintage roadbike for $200-$250. Your thoughts?
Old 03-11-12, 11:58 AM
Lasse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the mtb fits well, it should be just fine. With or without clipless pedals (you really don't need them). Bar ends and slick tires would make the ride more comfortable, I agree on adding those.
Bar ends and tire installation/replacement are both very easy to do on your own, no need to go to a bike shop. To install the bar ends, just move all controls and grips inward a bit (simply loosening, moving, tightening), slide the bar ends on in whatever angle you like and tighten the screws. The tires are also easy and anyone who owns a bike should learn how to replace them, whenever you have a flat you'll have to do this anyway.

I've done 150km rides on my mountainbike without any problems, so there's no need for a roadbike. Unless you're racing.
Old 03-11-12, 12:16 PM
Mr_Slippery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lasse
If the mtb fits well, it should be just fine. With or without clipless pedals (you really don't need them). Bar ends and slick tires would make the ride more comfortable, I agree on adding those.
Bar ends and tire installation/replacement are both very easy to do on your own, no need to go to a bike shop. To install the bar ends, just move all controls and grips inward a bit (simply loosening, moving, tightening), slide the bar ends on in whatever angle you like and tighten the screws. The tires are also easy and anyone who owns a bike should learn how to replace them, whenever you have a flat you'll have to do this anyway.

I've done 150km rides on my mountainbike without any problems, so there's no need for a roadbike. Unless you're racing.
Thanks very much for the advice. I had the shop install semi-slick tires (knobbed only on the edges -- it's what they had in stock) and bar ends onto the mtb last night and did the first 15 mile training ride at Bethpage State Park this morning. Felt great, and I'm going to stick with this set-up for at least a few more rides before I think about changing anything else. You're right about being able to do it myself -- I watched the kid do both and realized I could have done the job easily. I'm planning on going to a couple of volunteer nights at Recycle-A-Bicycle in the next few weeks just to work on my skills while doing some good for the world.
Old 03-11-12, 12:26 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr_Slippery
Brand new forum member here. I'm ready to start riding again after a multi-year layoff following ACL surgery. The immediate motivation is a charity century ride I'm planning to do in June, so I want to start training this week. I've got two bikes in the garage that are each differently unsuited for long-distance street riding: a well-cared for late 90s Motiv Sonora mtb; or a like new 2007 Jamis Commuter 2.0. I figure the former would need tires and bar ends; the latter would need a front derailleur, triple ring crankset, and a straight bar (I hate the bend-back bar it came with). In either case I guess I will need clipless pedals and shoes. I already ordered a new seat.

I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but figure I will probably need a shop to do any of these mods except the pedals. So option 3 is try to sell either or both and offset the cost of buying a ready-to-ride vintage roadbike for $200-$250. Your thoughts?
I rode 150 miles in two days on a Specialized Rockhopper, then after a rest day rode 110 miles back in one day. The journey down was on a combination of roads and gravel towpaths, the journey back was almost entirely roads.

Bar ends help a lot, when I'm on the MTB I probably spend about 80-90% of the time holding the ends. Road-friendly tyres will also help a lot, simply by reducing rolling resistance. I've been very pleased with Schwalbe Marathon tyres - my front tyre is a Plus ATB (I think it's a discontinued product now) which has a slick zigzag pattern down the middle and a few knobbly bits down the sides, and the back tyre is an Extreme. Both are 26x2.0". The Extreme makes a nice humming noise when you get up to speed

I've never used clipless pedals, I rode in regular training shoes (I think they're called sneakers in the US) and with the standard flat pedals that came with the bike.

This kind of setup isn't the best possible arrangement to cover long distances but it worked for me. You could potentially turn your MTB into something suitable for the sake of a couple of new tyres and bar ends.
Old 03-11-12, 01:35 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the 700c wheel will take a HigherPSI tire so roll easier,, I find Ergon's Grips offer a decent
broad surface for your hands on a Straight 22.2 diameter bar..

If you want to start turning a higher cadence, then Spud shoe/pedal may help..
If a JRA cadence is fine, then a stiffer sole shoe will be fine..
if the insole is upgraded to something comfortable, in either case.

a non spongy sole shoe will put the effort into going forward ,
rather than compressing the foam.
Old 03-11-12, 01:57 PM
Lasse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr_Slippery
I'm planning on going to a couple of volunteer nights at Recycle-A-Bicycle in the next few weeks just to work on my skills while doing some good for the world.
Sounds like a great plan, have fun learning!
Old 03-11-12, 05:56 PM
Mr_Slippery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
the 700c wheel will take a HigherPSI tire so roll easier,, I find Ergon's Grips offer a decent
broad surface for your hands on a Straight 22.2 diameter bar..

If you want to start turning a higher cadence, then Spud shoe/pedal may help..
If a JRA cadence is fine, then a stiffer sole shoe will be fine..
if the insole is upgraded to something comfortable, in either case.

a non spongy sole shoe will put the effort into going forward ,
rather than compressing the foam.
Thanks very much. I really didn't like the stock grips today, so I'll keep the Ergons in mind. I'm going to hold off on the clipless pedals and 700c wheels for now, but certainly will keep them in mind for the near future.
Old 03-11-12, 06:54 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mr_S, When it comes time for the pedals, the non drive side pedal is reverse threaded and the pedals maybe marked L and R for reference.

Before I built my tourer I used my mountain bike with a similar dual pattern tire as yours. Be careful blitzing a turn using alot of lean angle as the knobs don't stick well to pavement.

While I think I've seen most every style (and condition) of bike used for a century, of your two choices I'd have opted for the mountain bike also. The angle of the bar ends will be a major comfort factor. I have mine set at my most natural feeling/grabbing angle. I've see riders with them pointed straight upwards so there's alot of variance there.

Brad

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Trek bar ends.jpg (85.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-11-12, 09:44 PM
Mr_Slippery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before I built my tourer I used my mountain bike with a similar dual pattern tire as yours. Be careful blitzing a turn using alot of lean angle as the knobs don't stick well to pavement.
I will definitely keep that in mind, thanks!