Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Head over handlebars

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Head over handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-12, 05:56 AM
Orsoncart

Bikes: 2 Dawes - Galaxy Tour and Milk Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Head over handlebars

I went for a 10 mile ride yesterday, after 25 miles the previous day, which should have been easy as I am quite fit and just 66. I remember going past the nine mile point and then waking up on the verge with two passers by and a paramedic in attendance. I have a memory from about 10 seconds before the impact: of a a decision to drop my hands and head down on the handlebars to cope with the headwind and then no memories of the impact at all. I ended up with a cracked helmet and torn shoulder and bruised hip. I had had a couple of swigs of water and no meal for about 4 hour after a substantial breakfast. I had no sensation of losing energy and being in need of refuelling. Weather was benign - about 18 degrees and cloudy. I was feeling good at the time of the crash and was pushing hard but not too hard for a good time. Bike is undamaged and was returned by passers by.

I was sent in an ambulance to A and E. No problems there - brain and heart scans fine - with a recommendation for a 24 hr scan from my GP [ TO BE ARRANGED TOMORROW]. Currently have shoulder in a sling and a need for a new helmet [ which did a good job as skull bruising is minimal.]

Question is 'why faint' - possibilities are I just crashed and have no memory of impact [ unlikely I think as in previous similar crash I have 3-4 slow motion snapshots of it happening before being knocked out. ] Has anyone had any similar fainting attacks after a mild dehydration. I had no sensation of being near any over exertion barrier and heat was not more than mild.Ideas will be welcome and evidence of similar incidents likewise. My daughter in law, who is an A & E nurse, tells me these incidents are common in A & E referrals. Clearly prevention will may be helpful as cycling is my main retirement hobby and my wife is now sceptical!
Old 07-15-12, 06:25 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
Doubt that you fainted.

Common for Head Crashes to wipe out memory of the time right before the crash.

Old 07-15-12, 07:22 AM
Orsoncart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not impossible I agree but I have a clear memory just a few seconds before incident but no sense if it happening, which occurred on a road I know well - not trying to sound complacent but I feel that I lost it before the impact with the verge? Thanks for your idea anyway.
Old 07-15-12, 07:24 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
Originally Posted by Orsoncart
Not impossible I agree but I have a clear memory just a few seconds before incident but no sense if it happening, which occurred on a road I know well - not trying to sound complacent but I feel that I lost it before the impact with the verge? Thanks for your idea anyway.
I have been with three riders when they crashed, hit there head. They don't remember it. They did not faint.

Old 07-15-12, 07:43 AM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
I'm glad you're relatively OK, Orsoncart. I haven't experienced anything like you describe, or any head injuries at all for that matter. Just the thought of 'losing time' sounds scary as hell.

...and welcome to bikeforums. Hope you stick around.
Old 07-15-12, 09:03 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
I'm wondering if you "bonked". https://www.hammernutrition.com/problem-solver/bonking/ It seems you had a loooong gap without eating anything. It's very important that you keep putting something into your body as you ride, even if it's an energy bar or gu of some sort. You dont realize it but an immense amount of water and energy is expelled when you ride. Always keep some kind of high energy snack with you that you can munch on while pedaling. And lots of water. Make sure you have more than you think you do.

Take care and be careful.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 07-15-12, 10:24 AM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That sounds like a crash to me too. Unless you bonked and when you fell off your bike, hit your head hard enough that it did the same to your memory as a crash. I've bonked and fallen off my bike before, but as I didn't smack my head, can remember what happened pretty well.

Welcome to the forums! Now you just have to convince your wife that the health benefits you get from cycling outweigh the possibility of a crash!
Old 07-15-12, 01:27 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
I too have crashed like that, I can remember everything right up to the crash and I was feeling good, then I have spotty memories of the emergency room and doctors office here and there for the next week. I still haven't the foggiest idea why I crashed, it's been over 6 years... I agree that it was probably the crash that caused the memory loss not because of fainting...
Old 07-15-12, 04:28 PM
Rhinelander
Coppista

Bikes: Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to read this... and what a way for an introduction... hope you'll be alright. I'm just over 60 and feel I might take chances pushing myself when I ride alone. I've started to choose times (when possible) when there's much activity round our lil lakeside course and hang at one of the various parking lots to gang up with other riders somewhat in my age group... (can still beat some o the guys in their late 40s and 50s... lol)
Old 07-15-12, 04:50 PM
TacomaSailor

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix road bike, Stumpjumper Comp hardtail, Trance X2 FS mountainbike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am about the same age as you and have been riding all my life - I'd like to make several observations

1 - yesterday I was riding along nice and easy on smooth street - had my left hand on the handlebar near the stem - right hand reached down to grab water bottle - front wheel hit a groove or crack in the road - bike went into severe wobble and almost threw me off. Fortunately I reacted with the correct instinct (probably 'cause I've ridden 30 years of single track stuff on my mountain bike?) and relaxed my grip on the handle bar and used my hips to control the bike. I could easily have gone over the bars since I was leaning forward and down.

2 - I've seen several riders go over the handlebars on the street and get up with no recollection of the seconds to minutes before their crash

3 - my wife was riding in front of me on the street and slowly approaching a railroad crossing - mis-judged the tracks - dropped a wheel in and landed on her head - she got up wondering where she was and what she was doing (not uncommon - the confusion - she is a beautiful blonde!)

4 - I went over the bars the other day on my mountain bike and landed on my face with a stunning blow to my neck. No loss of consciousness but can't remember anything about the crash

I suspect something made you fall - you hit your head - and now have no memory of it
Old 07-18-12, 01:40 PM
Orsoncart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many thanks to all who replied. Recovery is well under way, new helmet is in the post, bruises are displaying well and I think I will remount on Thursday. My missing few minutes remains a mystery. I respect the majority opinions of those who think a simple concussion is the most likely answer and to a large extent I agree. In the place it happened however I think there would have been time to react, and therefore remember something.... The verge was fairly gentle and it would have taken a little time to tumble with some pre-warning? I feel drawn to thinking it was some sort of brief blackout which eliminated this warning period, and potential memory. I am currently looking at carotid sinus syndrome[more info on this welcome] and awaiting my appointment for a 24hr monitor. I'll ride my mountain bike, with its upright posture for a few weeks, rather than the road bike it happened on.

Thanks and best wishes

Bill
Old 07-18-12, 02:17 PM
Keith99

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Orsoncart
What landmarks do you remember? Exactly were where you at your last memory and where were you when you came to? It is going to seem like you remember right up to the point, but that may not be the case.
Old 07-26-12, 12:31 PM
SlowNeasy

Bikes: new Trek3700,Experianced Raleigh500RT.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Orsoncart.
FWIW I had a slightly similer "fainting" about 20 yrs ago. I had been working out running/biking pretty hard along with dieting. I had trimed down and was in good shape no excess weight . I was sitting in the dining room and bent over . Woke up on the terazzo floor with a aching head (from the floor) and unable to remember falling. I broke out into a cold sweat,I mean big drops pouring out. I was afraid of a concussion (there was) so I went to the doctor.
Before I could finish telling him what happened he ask me If I had lost weight and had I had a heavy workout? He had a long medical term,and said it wasn't that uncommon. It was the weight loss , fatigue, and bending and constricting the diaphram.
Anyway just info.
Take Care
Dave.