Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Everyday Carry

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-18, 03:04 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
People are free to carry or not carry whatever they feel is right. I don't think a basic multi tool is extraneous at all.
-Tim-
Which is why I stated "YMMV." But yeah, I know that feeling myself - the one time you decide to leave the tools at home it bites you in the ass.

However, please forgive me for pointing that for the problem you described you didn't need any multi-tool. A 5mm hex key takes up close no room, and since you brought up weight - weighs practically nothing...and costs about 50¢ at a neighborhood hardware store. Plus they come in long lengths too (if it will fit in your bag) for anyone worried about getting enough leverage...

Yes, carry and use whatever makes you happy - I just posted what has been working for me...
Old 10-31-18, 03:37 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
¢
Nice keyboarding skills.

My keyboard doesn't have that key. Is that a MAC thing or did you use old school extended ASCII?

Just looked it up. ALT+189
Old 10-31-18, 03:46 PM
IAmSam

I use ALT with 0162
Old 10-31-18, 03:48 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
When your bike also has 3mm, 4mm, 6mm, and 8mm bolts, there are a lot of problems a 5mm won't solve. My mutlitool also has flat/philips screwdrivers and spoke wrench, all of which I've used on the road at one point or another.
Old 10-31-18, 04:00 PM
IAmSam

Yes, carry and use whatever makes you happy - I just posted what has been working for me...
Having said that - if you take proper care of your sw8 phiksie, you shouldn't ever need to re-tighten any of those bolts while on the road
Old 11-01-18, 04:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked 4,055 Times in 2,704 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
When your bike also has 3mm, 4mm, 6mm, and 8mm bolts, there are a lot of problems a 5mm won't solve. My mutlitool also has flat/philips screwdrivers and spoke wrench, all of which I've used on the road at one point or another.
Swap all of your bolts to 5mm, use trip spoke wheels and buy ScRAM derailleurs (and then replace the bolts with 5mm). Problem solved if it were possible to swap all bolts with 5mm compatible stuff and trispokes and ScRAM didn't generally kind of stink to a point.
Old 11-01-18, 05:28 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Swap all of your bolts to 5mm, use trip spoke wheels and buy ScRAM derailleurs (and then replace the bolts with 5mm). Problem solved if it were possible to swap all bolts with 5mm compatible stuff and trispokes and ScRAM didn't generally kind of stink to a point.
this is a good point, and it’s exactly the argument I make when people tell me they ‘need’ an overpriced multi tool. You can literally replace the bolts. I did that on my fender mounting bolts. I get that it may not be possible in every case, but you can certainly replace some, with a quick trip to a hardware store. I promise you’ll spend less money on a few replacement bolts than a multi tool. I mean, to each their own, but if you really want to carry as little as possible AND make any roadside repairs or adjustments as quick and easy as possible, putting some forethought into this and only carrying a few quality tools is a good way to go. I have no problem with needing a few more sizes than just 4,5,6mm, but if you have phillips or flathead fasteners on your bike, just replace them. You’ll save yourself time on the side of the road, you’ll save yourself frustration and you’ll save yourself money. It’s your bike, you should WANT to set it up to be as simple and easy to adjust/repair as possible. Forethought and a few quality purpose tools are better than a multi tool, any day of the week.
Old 11-01-18, 05:38 PM
seau grateau

Taking joke posts seriously ftw. The mental backflips you guys have to do to argue against carrying a multitool must be exhausting.
Old 11-01-18, 05:43 PM
seau grateau

If you think bikes shouldn't have philips screws, I guess you've never seen a derailleur.
Old 11-01-18, 05:49 PM
Butthash
Gold Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I did have a camelbak that I kept my 15 mm wrench, tire levers and Presta to Schrader adapter but I see lm to uave misplaced ky Camelbak
Old 11-02-18, 01:22 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

If you think bikes shouldn't have philips screws, I guess you've never seen a derailleur.
I’m not technically arguing against anything, as I said, to each their own. I was simply adding my opinion. Makes no difference to me what an internet stranger carries. As far as a derailleur, are you serious? Maybe it’s the mechanic in me coming out but, you should never be adjusting your high and low settings on the side of the road. That’s the type of maintenance that should be done at home before setting off, because all those screws do is set how far inboard and outboard the derailleur can swing. Failure to do that before riding is just laziness, not a good case for a multi tool. Hell, a keychain Swiss Army knife could handle that. Nearly anything could work to adjust those two screws. Besides that, once they are set the first time, they should never need adjusting again anyway. Also, we’re in the ss/fixed gear section aren’t we? So aren’t we under the assumption that the OP doesn’t have a derailleur on their bike? Or am I wrong?
Old 11-02-18, 06:57 AM
nightfly

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
4,5,6 Y hex wrench meets all my needs is light and ergonomic to use, unlike those multi-tools.

I don't know what half the things on that Fabric 16 do. It's like 13 more things than I need.

But replacing all your bolts just so you can carry one hex key seems borderline insane as well.

It takes all kinds.

To each his/her/their own.
Old 11-02-18, 07:10 AM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
I just tack-weld all my bolts in place and throw all my wrenches away! Nyah!
Old 11-02-18, 07:15 AM
seau grateau

Still looking forward to hot takes about how the chain breaker and spoke wrench on my multitool are superfluous.
Old 11-02-18, 07:18 AM
seau grateau

Originally Posted by nightfly
But replacing all your bolts just so you can carry one hex key seems borderline insane as well.
Yeah but not as insane as carrying one tool.
Old 11-02-18, 07:20 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
While it may change in the future-- as I've used more than my fair share of tool solutions, from multi-tools to a bundle of hex-keys rubberbanded together, and this is my current favorite, because it can contain exactly what tools I need. Every other multi-tool has had 2-3 things on there I just don't need.

Old 11-02-18, 07:27 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Originally Posted by nightfly
wouldnt be possible, for several reasons, if we’re talking about buying new bolts. But if it were, or I were a skilled machinist, I’d probably do it. Why not? Short of a basic Swiss Army knife, I’ve never come across a single multitool that was actually useful or properly useable when needed and I’m willing to bet, most people agree.but like I said, it makes no difference to me what anyone buys. To the op: Just remember I told ya so, when you’re cursing that multitool on the side of the road because it makes the job harder than necessary and you just wish you’d bought proper tools. 😅 cheers.
Old 11-02-18, 07:40 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Still looking forward to hot takes about how the chain breaker and spoke wrench on my multitool are superfluous.
they aren’t. And if you ride a 1/8 riveted chain, it’s pretty essential to have a chain breaker. I use a master link though, and always carry a spare one. My pedros micro leavers technically count as a multitool I suppose? I would only carry a spoke wrench if I were going on a tour, but that’s just me. Anyway, you clearly wanted someone to disagree with you, because only you brought it up. You enjoy having ruffled feathers over people disagreeing with you?
Old 11-02-18, 08:33 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked 4,055 Times in 2,704 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis

this is a good point, and it’s exactly the argument I make when people tell me they ‘need’ an overpriced multi tool. You can literally replace the bolts. I did that on my fender mounting bolts. I get that it may not be possible in every case, but you can certainly replace some, with a quick trip to a hardware store. I promise you’ll spend less money on a few replacement bolts than a multi tool. I mean, to each their own, but if you really want to carry as little as possible AND make any roadside repairs or adjustments as quick and easy as possible, putting some forethought into this and only carrying a few quality tools is a good way to go. I have no problem with needing a few more sizes than just 4,5,6mm, but if you have phillips or flathead fasteners on your bike, just replace them. You’ll save yourself time on the side of the road, you’ll save yourself frustration and you’ll save yourself money. It’s your bike, you should WANT to set it up to be as simple and easy to adjust/repair as possible. Forethought and a few quality purpose tools are better than a multi tool, any day of the week.
I was actually more making a joke. Yes some bolts are worth replacing for ease of use but I am happy with my multi tool, Crank Bros M10. It has nice long tools on it and gets pretty much everything done. I do wish I could redesign it slightly mainly to swap the Phillips head with a JIS head and maybe have a 8mm bit for the 6mm tool for a little bit of extra leverage but that is it. (well ok maybe custom colors.

Individual tools are awesome and I do love them and certainly can be easier for some tasks but I don't want to have to swap bolts and if I did I would probably go T25 as a lot of higher end components are going that way and lessing the chance of stripping something in the field is a good thing. Not that I tend to strip bolts but when you are frustrated and maybe weather isn't great or you are in a rush the chance is greater.
Old 11-02-18, 12:52 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2677 Post(s)
Liked 3,205 Times in 1,687 Posts
How often do you need a tool on the road anyway? I ride a **** ton more than the avg SS/FG subforum user and I hardly ever do anything besides repair flats. Can't even remember the last time, really.
Old 11-02-18, 01:51 PM
IAmSam

^^^ This man knows what he is talking about...
Old 11-02-18, 01:59 PM
seau grateau

I don't get flats on 99% of my rides, but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop carrying the means to fix one. Off the top of my head, in recent memory I've used a multitool while out to --
-make fit adjustments
-tighten bolts that come loose
-quickly true a wheel after busting a spoke
-fix a broken chain
-swap parts when commuting to/from track
-dig glass and debris out of tires
-lend to other people who needed it for mechanicals
-realign cockpit after crashing
Old 11-02-18, 05:48 PM
Butthash
Gold Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can never have too much water(unless the weight is too much for your back qnd shoulders) (even then it's still good to have)
Old 11-02-18, 08:19 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
^^^ This man knows what he is talking about...
Until his bike breaks.

Luck is a suitable substitute up to the moment it runs out.

-Tim-
Old 11-02-18, 08:38 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If I wasn't already familiar with the typical posts on here, I might be surprised by the number of people who purportedly ride bikes, but have never needed to adjust a handlebar, raise or lower a seatpost, or even tighten a cleat on a shoe-- ever, even once, while riding.

On the other hand, I've done all of those things in the past 30 days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.