Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 03-01-18, 09:27 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
The big breakfast thing is great, but what if you train first thing in the morning routinely, dawn patrol style?

Have a big breakfast afterward?
Dawn is pushing it.

Wake up, caffeine pill, bowl of cereal. Wait around for heart to start pumping and blood to start flowing to the brain, and caffeine to do it's magic. Get kit ready, tires checked, watter bottles, etc. Take dump. Go ride. Come back, drink protein shake and eat more.
Old 03-01-18, 09:27 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
The big breakfast thing is great, but what if you train first thing in the morning routinely, dawn patrol style?

Have a big breakfast afterward?
The TR guys talked about this recently on their podcast. Something High glycemic index (they suggest like an english muffin with jam or honey) as you start your ride, then fuel for the efforts and get your recovery in afterwards.

Here is an article Coggan posted on the Wattage group about two weeks ago that seems relevant..
https://rdcu.be/Hcaw.
"Fuel for the Work Required: A Theoretical Framework
for Carbohydrate Periodization and the Glycogen Threshold
Hypothesis"
Old 03-01-18, 09:52 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked 3,082 Times in 1,632 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Dawn is pushing it.

Wake up, caffeine pill, bowl of cereal. Wait around for heart to start pumping and blood to start flowing to the brain, and caffeine to do it's magic. Get kit ready, tires checked, watter bottles, etc. Take dump. Go ride. Come back, drink protein shake and eat more.
Yep, except I drink coffee like a regular person .

I spend 30-45 min at home between when the alarm goes off and when I'm on the bike.
Old 03-01-18, 09:53 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
The TR guys talked about this recently on their podcast. Something High glycemic index (they suggest like an english muffin with jam or honey) as you start your ride, then fuel for the efforts and get your recovery in afterwards.

Here is an article Coggan posted on the Wattage group about two weeks ago that seems relevant..
https://rdcu.be/Hcaw.
"Fuel for the Work Required: A Theoretical Framework
for Carbohydrate Periodization and the Glycogen Threshold
Hypothesis"
Also sounds about right. I figure I have whatever glycogen stores that I'm going to have in my legs already from the night before, so I just eat something to top off the blood sugar.
Old 03-01-18, 10:08 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Yep, except I drink coffee like a regular person .

I spend 30-45 min at home between when the alarm goes off and when I'm on the bike.
Yeah coffee is better. I take the pill in hopes of getting out the door quicker, but I always seem to end up taking forever anyway.
Old 03-01-18, 10:34 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
We're a breakfast burrito household. I can cook a batch that lasts a few days so all I have to do is make coffee in the morning. My coffee game is on the next level now, I can even do those foam design thingys....well I move it around and whatever it kinda looks like thats what I tell people it is!
Old 03-01-18, 10:44 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I just can’t do a hard workout on a full stomach first thing.. I do best on a piece or two of toast or fried egg. And a big ol mug of coffee, of course.
Old 03-01-18, 10:54 PM
furiousferret

About 100km of Zwifting today in various rides, 175 tss. Just a bit under 2000 kj, had to pregame for my birthday party. Since I'm old now people celebrate my birthday because they want to be included in the will.

I got dropped while answering the phone and not paying attention, and chased for 20+ minutes. Best power total since 2015. One of the good things about trainers is I can go nonstop for hours, and that consistent wattage long term was really lacking.

Also, that wasn't close to a best effort, and my expectations right now with my CTL and time off is about 30 watts lower. Good signs.

Last edited by furiousferret; 03-01-18 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-01-18, 11:53 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Rode around after work, it was dark and cold.

Fingers still hurt when I grip the bars to sprint.. but less. So I guess it's getting better but damn this is annoying.

I miss the days of normal hands when I could try to rip the bars off!! You don't know what you've got until it's gone, as they say.

my race videos
Old 03-02-18, 07:52 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
We have a descent around here that is straight bombed out warzone status. Every year it gets slightly worse, I rode it yesterday and it has basically deteriorated into chunky dirt with larger holes quickly filled in with piles of asphalt. So I decided to rail it because what better way to prep for early season "I stayed fit on zwift" madness? I thought I made it through the worst part but hit the very last big hole before the pavement improves. Yuuuuuge noise, but no flats! It did rotate my bars forward, but after another 20 miles of riding it turns out I sorta like it?! Gonna keep em this way for a bit and see what happens.
Old 03-02-18, 09:58 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Please don't bomb that road lol. Made me nervous just reading that, glad you're ok
Old 03-02-18, 10:21 AM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
A short clip from our local Thursday night hammerfest. Last night.

Old 03-02-18, 11:37 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
my trainerroad plan had me doing 60min/39tss today, but my tsb isn't very far negative and I've got an easy week coming up so I went nuts and did 90min/70tss lol ctl is 79

i'm being very cautiously optimistic that I might be able to bump up another 5w after next week to make my target 285. I may feel differently after tomorrow's over-unders!
Old 03-02-18, 12:12 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Woke up about 7Am this morning and it was warm (about 40-42degrees) and dry. So I got out there only to be doing my recovery ride in a 20mph headwind lol. 300W to go 14mph is always fun. Bit sketch in a few places where the cross wind was trying to blow me all over the place.

Oh well, big winter storm coming tonight / this weekend, so I'm glad I got out.
Old 03-02-18, 02:01 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Please don't bomb that road lol. Made me nervous just reading that, glad you're ok
I've been working on my handling and confidence (when I can get outside). What I've started internalizing in the last season is that generally if you keep your momentum up you'll tend to be OK if you hit something (provided that something is not another rider on the ground). Gaining more confidence in equipment is helping, so is experiencing the occasional "oh ****" moment and not dying. Takes a lot to break modern equipment!
Old 03-02-18, 02:08 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,445 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
We have a descent around here that is straight bombed out warzone status. Every year it gets slightly worse, I rode it yesterday and it has basically deteriorated into chunky dirt with larger holes quickly filled in with piles of asphalt. So I decided to rail it because what better way to prep for early season "I stayed fit on zwift" madness? I thought I made it through the worst part but hit the very last big hole before the pavement improves. Yuuuuuge noise, but no flats! It did rotate my bars forward, but after another 20 miles of riding it turns out I sorta like it?! Gonna keep em this way for a bit and see what happens.
New definition for a field fit.

I did a road race that when we lined up that starter warned about pot holes. Yep, I was in the pack and the racer ahead swerved and I hit a hole. My water bottle shot about 10 feet in the air and my bars rotated.

Unlike your situation, the bars moved too much and made the bike somewhat okay to ride but not brake well and race. I could not move them back. I watched the peloton ride away. I finished a lap and called it a day.

Last edited by Hermes; 03-02-18 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-02-18, 02:33 PM
Yep
no cat contains

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Radish_legs
A short clip from our local Thursday night hammerfest. Last night.

https://youtu.be/W7InjhzZU3M
Does the hammerfest all take place on an interstate? At night?
Old 03-02-18, 02:49 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Yep
the rear camera view is basically just the angel of death chasing this guy with a flashlight
Old 03-02-18, 03:44 PM
furiousferret

I've been working on my handling and confidence (when I can get outside). What I've started internalizing in the last season is that generally if you keep your momentum up you'll tend to be OK if you hit something (provided that something is not another rider on the ground). Gaining more confidence in equipment is helping, so is experiencing the occasional "oh ****" moment and not dying. Takes a lot to break modern equipment!
It swings pretty fast; Early January I felt really good and did well against some 3's at mock races (who are also getting top 10's this year), and mastered some skill work which helped after puncturing my lung. Then the trifecta hit; a flu, a crash, and a death in the family. Now, I'm scared to sprint, and just an all around mess.
Old 03-02-18, 04:58 PM
Radish_legs

Originally Posted by Yep
It's a year round ride, so it's at night for several months. Starts at 6pm. It's one of those surging race-type rides. Attracts mostly cat 3 and 4 types, which the occasional cat 1 or 2 who is also on the ride. It's on city streets, some of the boulevards are going to have cars going at least 45mph. That's not so bad if we have multiple lanes and medians. I get more worried on the single lane roads. And we are a big group, everyone with lights, so we are all visible.

We have a slow rollout. 36 miles. Even with the slow rollout, we averaged over 22mph yesterday, and that includes lots of lights and stop signs.

I tell you, if you are comfortable on a race-type group ride in the dark, it makes your first crit in the daytime a relative cinch. This is the ride that allowed me to get 2nd place in my first crit.
Old 03-02-18, 05:01 PM
Radish_legs

Originally Posted by Ygduf
the rear camera view is basically just the angel of death chasing this guy with a flashlight
another cyclist's vid of the same ride.

I'm thinking we are probably one of the most videotaped group rides around, lol. Sometimes we have 4 different vids of the same ride.
Old 03-02-18, 05:15 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Yeah coffee is better. I take the pill in hopes of getting out the door quicker, but I always seem to end up taking forever anyway.
I read letting the pill dissolve underneath your tongue gets it straight into the bloodstream. That's what I typically do on the way out the door, but honestly can't tell much difference.

Tastes pretty nasty, though.
Old 03-02-18, 05:21 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Sound like Copperopolis.
Old 03-03-18, 11:30 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
90mins of 5x12min over unders, 2min at 95 and 2 at 105. Was more successful than last week lol but still tough toward the last few, oddly enough in trying to keep the cadence up during the under portions. My nutrition prob wasn’t great either, just had my coffee this morning and I’m sure that doesn’t help the later efforts. But the good part is I spent 75min at 94% IF and my CTL is over 80 for the first time ever. Woohoo

Last edited by hubcyclist; 03-03-18 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-03-18, 01:59 PM
caloso

Did one of the “Kitchen Sink” rides in the back of the Coggan and Friel book. I’m wiped out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.