Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Lady shaver best?

Old 07-12-20, 09:20 PM
Chad991

Bikes: Lynsky Helix Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by krecik
Men shaving their legs is something that never ever crossed my mind even in the realm of possibility. I absolutely hate shaving and I only ever do it before job interviews. I couldn't do it, I'd feel really emasculated if I did. I can't seem to think of it as any other way than as a punishment but I'm pretty ignorant.

Kret.
gotta agree Kret, i would never shave if I didn't have to for work..I've seen guys do it. (Bicyclists and some body builders)But I say to them same thing I say here, unless you are a pro racer and there is a real need to save time, which I dont really think leg and arm hair would matter.maybe cause I'm not a hairy guy anyway....its kinda feminine...just my humble opinion, everyone one has them...I'm also the guy who wears mtb shorts on a road bike,lol....so what do I know.
Old 07-13-20, 12:22 AM
masonv45

Bikes: 2005 Giant OCRc2, 2016 GT Aggressor Expert

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts
If you think shaving your legs makes you faster - then it does.

I first shaved mine few years ago and found an added benefit - shaved legs helped keep me cooler on my runs (triathlete).

A big benefit living in the south...
6:00 AM - 75° /100% humidity
3:00 PM - 94° /60% humidity

I use a new fresh disposable razor every summer.
Old 07-13-20, 05:33 AM
cabledawg

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Frankly, I was tired of always looking like I had the mange. My legs looked splotchy, random places on my arms, shoulders and back would get hair while others didn't. Then I recently started mountain biking and got a decent cut on my leg where I had to dig through the briar patch to get it cleaned out. Enough was enough. I bought a woman's epilator and along with my clippers, I've pretty eliminated body hair everywhere except my nether region (still trimmed though) and my face/head. Holy crap! First of all, in just the two weeks after doing all this, my skin has cleared up which may be due to the moisturizing lotion I have to use after epilating. And I thought about the "masculinity" of removing all the hair and in the end, I just didn't give a ****. So now I'm silky smooth and kinda wonder why I didn't do this earlier
Likes For cabledawg:
Old 07-13-20, 07:12 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
I use women's razors to shave my arms and legs every time I try a men's version I cut myself.
Old 07-13-20, 07:27 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,914 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by cabledawg
Frankly, I was tired of always looking like I had the mange. My legs looked splotchy, random places on my arms, shoulders and back would get hair while others didn't. Then I recently started mountain biking and got a decent cut on my leg where I had to dig through the briar patch to get it cleaned out. Enough was enough. I bought a woman's epilator and along with my clippers, I've pretty eliminated body hair everywhere except my nether region (still trimmed though) and my face/head. Holy crap! First of all, in just the two weeks after doing all this, my skin has cleared up which may be due to the moisturizing lotion I have to use after epilating. And I thought about the "masculinity" of removing all the hair and in the end, I just didn't give a ****. So now I'm silky smooth and kinda wonder why I didn't do this earlier
How often do you need to do that? I've thought about that, but the pain scares me. Does it all come back at once and get stubbly or do different hairs come back at different rates?
Old 07-13-20, 08:12 AM
cabledawg

Originally Posted by himespau
How often do you need to do that? I've thought about that, but the pain scares me. Does it all come back at once and get stubbly or do different hairs come back at different rates?
I only just started myself but my ex-wife used to epilate her legs all the time. After about the first two times, it only needed a touch up once a month and it wasn't the thick regular hairs coming back, just small baby hairs. Epilating is literally ripping the hairs out, roots and all, so what does grow back is new hair growth. Yeah, it's a little painful. Warm bath beforehand helps. I like the punishment (no I just have high pain tolerance) so I just went at it. Did my arms one weekend, most of my torso the next (belly skin is sensitive so I'm still working on that), my lower legs one weekend and now I'm working on my upper legs and whatever I missed the first time. And as i mentioned before, put lotion (preferably with aloe) on afterwards to help calm the skin. You're going to get bumps over the epilated skin at first. Don't freak out, they go away after a day.

One other thing I noticed (and someone else mentioned it) is that my body feels cooler. I can really feel it on my legs riding in the morning to work. But overall, once I start to sweat I instantly cool down, likely because the evaporation process is unhindered by body hair.
Old 07-13-20, 08:55 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I would think it's dependant on how hirsute you are and how fast your hair grows. For me, after the initial razor shave I can get away with once/week maintenance. I do it while showering. Adds maybe 5 min. max to the shower. A buddy who I used to ride with has legs like a gorilla. If he ever decided to shave (His wife forbids it) I would bet he'd have to do it more often.
Old 07-13-20, 10:26 AM
krecik

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts

Last edited by krecik; 09-18-23 at 01:14 AM.
Old 07-13-20, 10:47 AM
cabledawg

Nah, I only shave before the interview, once I got the job, I let the forest grow.

Feminine is the word I was looking for, I didn't want to use it though because I didn't want anyone to feel insulted, especially since we seem to be outnumbered.

Kret.
I know I take no personal offense to being called feminine. Takes a lot more than that to offend me
Likes For cabledawg:
Old 07-13-20, 11:01 AM
Chad991

Bikes: Lynsky Helix Pro

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts
I know I take no personal offense to being called feminine. Takes a lot more than that to offend me
and I promise you it was never offered as an offense, I'm just old and set in my way like a cranky junk yard dog..my opinions are not popular these days and miles away from politically correct
Likes For Chad991:
Old 07-13-20, 11:46 AM
krecik

Likes For krecik:
Old 07-13-20, 12:38 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
or at least that I'd feel less masculine if I did so
Why? Previously you wrote that you don't measure your mail identity my the amount of hair after you wrote that the act of shaving would be emasculating, which is the loss of male identity.
Old 07-13-20, 01:09 PM
krecik

Old 07-13-20, 01:29 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I just use the same one I use for my face. I will put in a fresh cartridge, of course.
Old 07-13-20, 01:41 PM
krecik

Last edited by krecik; 09-18-23 at 01:13 AM.
Likes For krecik:
Old 07-13-20, 01:53 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
I can't imagine how frail your male identity must be that body hair is the only thing making you a man.

Pretty sure I've met drag queens with a better sense of their gender than y'all.
Old 07-13-20, 02:02 PM
krecik

Old 07-13-20, 10:37 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
// hears 'drag queen,' perks up //
Old 07-14-20, 04:09 AM
cabledawg

Come on folks, let's stay civil.

Yes there are men who shave more than just their face/head. The reasons can be professional (Olympic swimmers) or personal (I didn't like my mangy hair growth). But no matter the reason, the definition of masculinity is subject to the individual and no one is here to judge. The OP simply wanted to know a product that men can use for shaving the body. Maybe we should get back to that...…..
Likes For cabledawg:
Old 07-14-20, 05:43 AM
krecik

Old 08-20-20, 03:45 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 278 Posts
So, really, epilators... do they work? They'd be worth the pain if they did, but I wouldn't want to buy one, torture myself, and find it was useless...

(Also, what do you do with it once you've damaged the follicles enough that the hairs are finer? No way I'm going to keep up with the torture once I have the effect I want... I just want it to be not as painfully-obvious if I've forgotten to shave or don't have time to do so.)
Old 08-20-20, 06:30 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,317 Times in 2,702 Posts
Ha, had forgotten about this one. OP has moved on from obsessing about body hair, has 12 threads in Mechanics about his rear wheel. Yep.
Old 08-20-20, 07:38 PM
Kat12

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Ha, had forgotten about this one. OP has moved on from obsessing about body hair, has 12 threads in Mechanics about his rear wheel. Yep.
But does he shave it??
Likes For Kat12:
Old 08-21-20, 07:20 AM
cabledawg

I bought a more expensive model and I love it. I'm down to about once a month (the hairs need to get long enough to grab) and even when they do grow out a little, it's such fine hair that it's barely noticeable. And now that all the big hairs are gone, there's literally no pain when I do epilate. Of course, you wont get every last hair every time, but I think it's still way better than shaving.
Old 08-21-20, 04:00 PM
Kat12

I bought a more expensive model and I love it. I'm down to about once a month (the hairs need to get long enough to grab) and even when they do grow out a little, it's such fine hair that it's barely noticeable. And now that all the big hairs are gone, there's literally no pain when I do epilate. Of course, you wont get every last hair every time, but I think it's still way better than shaving.
How long (in length) do you figure? I kept reading about "you don't have to wait for the hair to get to a specific length" which doesn't make sense to me, but those are the claims... but if it's something where I have to wait so long I can't stand it and have to grab the shaver anyway, that's not going to do me any good!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.