Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Demanding much, or a reasonable deal?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-15, 09:52 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So, I'm an "experienced Cat 5" racer, but have been asked to join a development team.
In return for $300, ($500 up front, $200 returned after completion of 6 races) receive 2 complete kits (jerseys, bibs, caps and socks - which, from what I've seen, is quality stuff), plus a helmet and 4 bottles, and (perhaps unusually) entry and front start in a major event ride.
Also required, but not included in dues are annual USAC license and CRCA season race pass (CRCA is the organizer of the Central Park club races, as well as a handful of open races). There is a Manager and a Coach, but very limited team training planned. Nonetheless, members are obliged to wear team kit on ANY and ALL rides - even solo.
I'm not opposed to any of this, but the demand that we wear the kit all the time was unexpected and slightly annoying; only having 2 sets would mean doing the wash more often, plus, I really like my cold-weather gear and don't want to have to wear those stupid leg warmers, or a sweater under my jersey. Maybe I could buy more spares, and maybe they have team jackets and tights, but it's probably expensive. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being the most accommodating and generous a racing team might be, 10 being the most demanding and a rip-off, where would you say this arrangement falls?

Last edited by kbarch; 12-13-15 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-13-15, 10:11 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
So, I'm an "experienced Cat 5" racer, but have been asked to join a development team.
In return for $300, ($500 up front, $200 returned after completion of 6 races) receive 2 complete kits (jerseys, bibs, caps and socks - which, from what I've seen, is quality stuff), plus a helmet and 4 bottles, and (perhaps unusually) entry and front start in a major event ride.
Also required, but not included in dues are annual USAC license and CRCA season race pass (CRCA is the organizer of the Central Park club races, as well as a handful of open races). There is a Manager and a Coach, but very limited team training planned. Nonetheless, members are obliged to wear team kit on ANY and ALL rides - even solo.
I'm not opposed to any of this, but the demand that we wear the kit all the time was unexpected and slightly annoying; only having 2 sets would mean doing the wash more often, plus, I really like my cold-weather gear and don't want to have to wear those stupid leg warmers, or a sweater under my jersey. Maybe I could buy more spares, and maybe they have team jackets and tights, but it's probably expensive. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being the most accommodating and generous a racing team might be, 10 being the most demanding and a rip-off, where would you say this arrangement falls?
I'm going to say a 2 or so.

Seems pretty legit to me, especially for a Cat 5. With absolutely no disrespect meant for the new racers to the sport, Cat 5 is essentially a throwaway category - no prizes worth anything allowed, expectation is to get experience and upgrade to Cat 4s. To be offered something like that (with the entry to a big event being significant?) sounds good to me.

The big thing is that it requires a commitment to the team by virtue of the high ante. You get more than what you paid for but you are committing to more than a minimum amount of stuff. I think you'll find yourself surrounded by riders who are committed to the team or have way too much money to spend on stuff. The latter should lose interest quickly and you're left with a cadre of like-minded racers.

Our club/team expects us to wear our kit every time we ride outside, even solo, and we have to buy our kits, plus pay a minor membership fee, and we pay for our entries for everything. We can buy extra kits, which I typically do at the beginning of joining a team (I joined them in 2009 for the 2010 season). I think I have 6? complete jersey/short sets plus LS jersey, LS thermal skinsuit, arm warmer, jacket, vest x2, cap, a bazillion socks, etc. I paid for all but 2 jerseys which were given to all members, 1 one year, 1 another year. I'm pretty sure I'm about $1000-1200 into my current kit. For some orders we didn't get a discount off of MSRP so it was pricey. Others we got a typical discount, but still, kits aren't cheap.

We did get bottles for free.

I will say that for winter the team relaxes requirements. Black tights, black jackets, they seem to be fine (I don't have team tights, not that I train outside much but whatever). I also race frequently in the spring using knickers, and we have no team knickers, so I use manufacturer branded knickers (that made the team kit for a bit, and also they sponsored my race series, so it's sort of a dual thing for me).

Also fluorescent colors. Trend on my team seems to be the (non-team) hi-vis yellow wind jackets, gloves, and shoe covers. Not "official" but it wouldn't do good to anyone to get hit by a car.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 12-13-15, 10:13 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
The kit thing sounds sparse. For that requirement they need to give you a lot more stuff. Do they pay your race fees?
A big factor here is how old you are.
Old 12-13-15, 10:54 PM
kbarch

Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I'm going to say a 2 or so.

Seems pretty legit to me, especially for a Cat 5. With absolutely no disrespect meant for the new racers to the sport, Cat 5 is essentially a throwaway category - no prizes worth anything allowed, expectation is to get experience and upgrade to Cat 4s. To be offered something like that (with the entry to a big event being significant?) sounds good to me.

The big thing is that it requires a commitment to the team by virtue of the high ante. You get more than what you paid for but you are committing to more than a minimum amount of stuff. I think you'll find yourself surrounded by riders who are committed to the team or have way too much money to spend on stuff. The latter should lose interest quickly and you're left with a cadre of like-minded racers.

Our club/team expects us to wear our kit every time we ride outside, even solo, and we have to buy our kits, plus pay a minor membership fee, and we pay for our entries for everything. We can buy extra kits, which I typically do at the beginning of joining a team (I joined them in 2009 for the 2010 season). I think I have 6? complete jersey/short sets plus LS jersey, LS thermal skinsuit, arm warmer, jacket, vest x2, cap, a bazillion socks, etc. I paid for all but 2 jerseys which were given to all members, 1 one year, 1 another year. I'm pretty sure I'm about $1000-1200 into my current kit. For some orders we didn't get a discount off of MSRP so it was pricey. Others we got a typical discount, but still, kits aren't cheap.

We did get bottles for free.

I will say that for winter the team relaxes requirements. Black tights, black jackets, they seem to be fine (I don't have team tights, not that I train outside much but whatever). I also race frequently in the spring using knickers, and we have no team knickers, so I use manufacturer branded knickers (that made the team kit for a bit, and also they sponsored my race series, so it's sort of a dual thing for me).

Also fluorescent colors. Trend on my team seems to be the (non-team) hi-vis yellow wind jackets, gloves, and shoe covers. Not "official" but it wouldn't do good to anyone to get hit by a car.
Thanks. Even if you had pegged the arrangement I'd described as a 6 or 7, your story was reassuring. The mere absence of anything to compare it to was sort of unsettling - not knowing what I was getting into and all....
Old 12-14-15, 05:38 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't think I could purchase quality (2) kits, socks, helmet etc for under 300.

Back when I was on a team I probably could. The sponsors paid to be on the kit, and part of that deal is they expect you to wear it whenever you ride.

This deal sounds "OK" to me, maybe 5 on your scale. The dollar amount seems a bit high, but I live in Binghamton. Back when I lived in metro NYC, it would not have seemed high, and that was in the 90s.
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
$300 for 2 kits, helmet, bottles, and a fondo or whatever it is, is fine. Retail for all that stuff is probably more than $300. The "requirement" to wear the kit all the time is standard. You should certainly not expect any sort of deal that provides meaningful positive financial value to you.
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
For most any team in the NY area you're going to be asked to wear the kit whenever you're riding. Depending on where you're riding or if you're solo will determine how strictly you need to adhere to each individual garment.. I've got loads of old clothes from the several iterations of my own team's kit that I wear depending on circumstances. My coldest weather jacket is from an older sponsor and I'd still wear it, but it's the kind of thing I use so rarely I'm not going to replace it.

Full disclosure the coach and manager of the team I think you're talking about are a couple of my best friends. The thing with this stuff is it's very hard to come up with sponsorship dollars, and people wearing the kit is one of the small perks for a sponsor. We lost our sponsor this off season, and are cobbling together a budget (and keeping the same kits). For a 5 who is going to race, to get 2 kits and a helmet for $300 isn't excessive at all.

Last edited by gsteinb; 12-14-15 at 05:44 AM.
Old 12-14-15, 05:52 AM
Stas87

Bikes: road and track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
CRCA isn't a terrible deal for the price. Keep in mind there are other teams in the area that are not a part of the CRCA that have more or less stringent requirements.
Old 12-14-15, 06:03 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
sounds like a good deal until you hit the "always have to wear the kit" requirement which to me just seems silly for cat 5s, but then again...I don't live in nyc.

Last edited by mike868y; 12-14-15 at 06:21 AM.
Old 12-14-15, 08:14 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
sounds like a good deal until you hit the "always have to wear the kit" requirement which to me just seems silly for cat 5s, but then again...I don't live in nyc.
i'd broaden that description to any team that doesn't offer much in return for what you pay. If it's an elite team that pays for apparel and entry, i say def go bite the bullet. If they pay for either/or, that's still reasonable. Where i draw the line is when one has to pony up for both entry fees and kit. It's the main reason i stayed away from a local club that seemed just a bit too enthusiastic by the description on their website.

Makes me miss collegiate cycling, where the team pays for entry to up to 20 events per year at an annual fee of $150/yr...
Old 12-14-15, 10:29 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Two kits and a helmet for $300 is a steal. I just dropped more than $500 for my three kits.

I'll add that while I do not live in the area, I think I know which team this is, and if it is the team I am thinking of, I've met one of the guys on the team who works with the development riders. He is a solid coach who is very committed to helping guys advance. That knowledge also is worth the money.
Old 12-14-15, 11:12 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How are you guys confident you know what team this is? There must be a half dozen or more CRCA development teams.
Old 12-14-15, 11:19 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I think I'm the only one who said he knows what team, and I said 'I think'….hardly a show of confidence. I based it on a few details in the post. It's hardly a big deal either way.
Old 12-14-15, 11:22 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
topflightpro said so as well. I was just curious.
Old 12-14-15, 11:29 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

he met my friend at a thing.
Old 12-14-15, 11:32 AM
misterwaterfall

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not going back to my prior team as they had a $150 team fee and outrageous kit prices. $300 for a san remo style suit so I can advertise for you? No thanks
Old 12-14-15, 11:53 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
$300 for 2 kits, helmet, bottles, and a fondo or whatever it is, is fine. Retail for all that stuff is probably more than $300. The "requirement" to wear the kit all the time is standard. You should certainly not expect any sort of deal that provides meaningful positive financial value to you.
This sounds pretty standard to me too. We also have the requirement to wear the current team kit whenever we're out on the bike, but the requirement is loosened somewhat during the winter. I buy a windvest and L/S jersey every other alternating year. No one's ever given me a hard time about it.
Old 12-14-15, 12:09 PM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Super standard.
Old 12-14-15, 02:42 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
topflightpro said so as well. I was just curious.
Originally Posted by gsteinb
he met my friend at a thing.
It's the helmet that keyed me in. When I met Gstein's friend last month at an event, he mentioned how everyone on the team had the same helmet and how they bought everyone left in stock to make sure they had enough of the right color for everyone on the team, or something to that effect. Since I know few teams that also provide helmets, I made the assumption, based in part on GS's previous comment, that it was that team.
Old 12-14-15, 07:32 PM
Doge

All I can say (and you know that) is the juniors have it very very good. Then age 19 - not so much. We have been on four clubs and there is lots of support for the kids. Seems more so for the girls based on rates of junior girls racing vs junior boys. But outside of pros, the kids have it the best.
Old 12-14-15, 07:51 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Ask not what your country can do for you, etc
Old 12-14-15, 08:13 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Ask not what your country can do for you, etc
Which is why I spent a few days (S) building others bikes. But when someone gives you stuff to use you are supposed to use it. I have unused rebuilt wheels I may not use this year, so hanging on till next year when free stuff runs out. The reality is that costs us (me and mom) more than just riding the prior year's sponsor. Last year's bike would have worked fine, as would the year's before as would the year before that. As would his prior TT bike. They hang in the garage and I should sell them. He will likely ride in Europe in the summer and need another brand bike 500EUR (cheap) or buy at 50% - but what am I going to do with another bike? And he gets a pile of kits. This is the way it is with youth "development teams".
Old 12-14-15, 08:48 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Experienced Cat5's demanding good deals. Think about that for a second.
Old 12-14-15, 11:36 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Have your agent look over the contract.
Old 12-14-15, 11:55 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by shovelhd
Experienced Cat5's demanding good deals. Think about that for a second.
As I said I was reading it wrong with "development". Add "experienced" and I took it as written. There are college cyclists that start in college (which is why I asked about age) and can be experienced, but I don;t know if they get category upgrades for that. Then there are the foreigners that didn't do paperwork right and have to start all over. But most likely as you suggest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.