Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you carry a chain tool on your rides?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you carry a chain tool on your rides?

Old 06-16-21, 08:48 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
It's part of my multitool (Topeak Mini 20 Pro) so... I guess that's a yes.
Old 06-16-21, 08:49 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 91 Posts
I didn't but fortunately one of my riding buddies had one when my chain link separated after I installed a new chain. I honestly don't remember if I had driven the pin out and re-installed the pin improperly or if the new chain separated due to defect. Regardless, I needed a chain tool and my buddy had one. Now I carry a Park tool in my saddle bags for my vintage bikes and I have a Specialized Top Cap Chain Tool for my modern bike. The Top Cap Chain Tool replaces the steerer top cap and only weighs 25g. Carrying the tool gives me peace of mind when I'm out riding solo.

This replaces the top cap on modern bikes.
Likes For momoman:
Old 06-16-21, 09:20 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Another Topeak carrier here with one built-in, except mine is the Hexus II. Never had to use it on the road (although I could have once: I encountered a guy walking his e-bike in the middle of a multi-mile long bridge trail because of a busted chain, but I forgot to pack any quick links that day so couldn't bail him out) but have used the multitool plenty of times.
Old 06-16-21, 10:26 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
The one time I used one, I did not have one. Borrowed from a cross-country cyclist who happened to pass us on the North Cascades highway. At the end of the process it looked as if I had on elbow length black opera gloves - what a mess.
???
Old 06-16-21, 10:29 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
My multitool has one. It's no extra effort to have it. I've used it 3 times (I think) for me and other riders.
Old 06-16-21, 10:39 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
In the last 5 years I've used it twice. I don't care to disturb mom/wife/friend for a ride when I can repair it on the spot.
MTB, I end up in spots where a car pick up could be a very long walk away
I have the Topeak mini 20 pro
Old 06-17-21, 04:45 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,711 Times in 2,911 Posts
My mini multi-tool has one, but only ever used it at home to shorten new chains.

Never had a chain fail during a ride, but I’ve seen it happen a couple of times when riding with groups - usually someone with an ancient badly maintained drivetrain.

But I do carry a spare reusable quick-link just in case.
Old 06-17-21, 06:32 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
I carry a "Chain Pup" along, but I can only remember having used it once. But it's small and light and better than walking home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
chain-pup.jpg (189.2 KB, 294 views)
Old 06-17-21, 08:02 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
yes & I try not to carry 3 of them, as I once discovered! eek! (dunno the brands, sorry)

but the irony is clear for me, when I have a chain problem, like breaking an old chain, I replace it, take better care of it & start carrying a chain tool, but then, never need it. but maybe there will come a time when the tool is useful for a reason other than breakage?

the only time I had a chain break was stupidly riding an old bike with an old (rusty) chain & at the end of a ride w/ my kids, I was showing off, trying to climb a stupid hill, w/ too much stress on the old links & pop! told them no worries I have a chain tool! was so excited to show them how they work, but then realized I did not have it with me! we walked back the 50 ft to the hotel we were staying at near the trail ...
Old 06-17-21, 08:24 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I carried a small one in my commute bag. Used it on the road twice in 28 years.
Old 06-17-21, 08:26 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
While mountain biking or on an extended tour, yes, I carry a chain breaker plus quick link.

For everyday road riding, no, I do not.

The mountain bike has the highest likelihood that some foreign object will smash a derailleur or snap a chain. For a tourer, it's best to be able to crutch together some solution that gets you to the next town.
Old 06-17-21, 08:32 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Welshboy
If so, what one? I'm interested in something small enough to fit in a jersey pocket that will work on 10-speed and 11-speed chains (both with a master link). I have workshop quality chain tools at home but would like a quality chain tool for day rides and general riding. Thanks in advance.
I do on my gravel bike, where the likelihood of breaking a chain and being 50 miles from my house in the middle of nowhere with dubious cell phone coverage is a little higher. There are several multi-tools that include chain breakers; I've used ones made by Lezyne and Serfas that do the job. I think Crank Brothers also makes a popular one but I haven't used it. Wolf Tooth makes a nifty little set of compact chain pliers that have been on my "I should buy that" list for a while which would be nice when you don't need to break the chain but you can't unlink the quicklink on the road. https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...ts/pack-pliers

These all work fine for 8, 9, 10, 11 speed on the road.
Old 06-17-21, 09:55 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
I do but, honestly, I’ve only used it a couple of times for other people’s problems. My daughter lost a jockey wheel bolt and we had to single speed the bike. That was many years ago, however. I’m sure as soon as I get rid of it, I’ll need it

Mine’s a Fix-It-Sticks model.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-17-21, 09:59 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I carry one & have used it to shorten chain to single-speed after catastrophic RD events.

Once on road in remote area, once 5+ miles out on fire road.

This one is good and compact, 'tho it weighs 76g.

https://www.amazon.com/Pedros-Six-Pa...s%2C240&sr=8-8
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 06-17-21, 10:40 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
The multi tool I carry has one. Never used it for a chain. I ride vintage bikes and use hex head crank bolts instead of traditional crank bolts. I've used the multi tool a few times to tighten up crank bolts on the road. That's why I use the hex head bolts.
Old 06-17-21, 10:41 AM
EviLDORK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Canondale Synapse, Canondale Touring 1, Salsa Mukluk, Masi Uno, Trek 850

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Those of us who carry chain tools seem to be the same people who maintain their chains enough not to need them.
Likes For EviLDORK:
Old 06-17-21, 10:45 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Welshboy
Not really - three times in the last 30 years but one of those was because I'd incorrectly re-joined a Campag chain. I'm often out riding when my wife is at work so I can't call her to pick me up if the worst should happen. I'd just like to be self-sufficient and not relying on a multi-tool based chain tool. I carry an old 9-speed chain tool (stored in one of those bottle cage storage cases) on my commuter bike but would like something to tuck into a jersey pocket when out on my roadbike.
I get it. I'm able to call my wife or two of my sons who will come get me. I'm adverse to carrying a bunch of stuff on the bike anyway. I use Shimano chains and have never had one break, (knocks on wood). I just have a tube, tire lever, CO2 and inflator, and a pump that fit nicely in my back pocket.

I live near a State Park and ride the vast majority of my commute to and from work through that park. I've spotted Moose on at least 7-10 occasions...If I were to be prepared for "anything" I'd probably get some Bear Spray to carry with me. Pretty soon being prepared for ALL eventualities and I need a bike bag or bike bang or whatever the new cool thing to carry on your handlebars is. But my bike doesn't smoke weed so I don't need to carry half my house on every ride thankfully.

Park Tools will have what you need.
Old 06-17-21, 11:36 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I have a chain tool on my multitool.. Easily fits in a seat bag.

But if I needed to fit everything I carry into my pockets, I don’t think a chain tool would make the cut.
Old 06-17-21, 11:46 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,597 Times in 5,944 Posts
I used to carry one 25 years ago. I needed it one time. I mean, REALLY needed it! Rear derailleur cable broke, leaving me in the 12 tooth cog. This was before cell phones were something you carried along on rides. I was 8 miles from home, and any route I took to get home included at least one 5 minute, 6%+ climb, which I am pretty sure I'd have had a hell of a time doing in 39x12. Broke the chain, rewrapped it somewhere mid-cassette, skipping the derailleur, and rode home.

Lesson learned - replace your cables before you think you need to, because they're cheap and it's easier than having them break on a ride.

These days, I carry a cell phone instead of a ton of tools. I have a tube, levers, patches, and a multi-tool, but no chain breaker anymore.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-17-21, 12:56 PM
MNebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
I've carried a small compact chain tool for 35+ years, but never used it except at home in my garage.

About 40 years ago my car broke down in the middle of nowhere at about 1 AM - a problem I could have fixed with just a Phillips screwdriver. Ever since I carry a basic tool kit in every car, and enough tools in my seat bag to insure that I won't have to walk home (And a phone and a $20 bill if all else fails.) The funny part is that I have never had a car or bike breakdown since - but the tools are still there.
Old 06-17-21, 02:20 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,597 Times in 5,944 Posts
Originally Posted by MNebiker
I've carried a small compact chain tool for 35+ years, but never used it except at home in my garage.

About 40 years ago my car broke down in the middle of nowhere at about 1 AM - a problem I could have fixed with just a Phillips screwdriver. Ever since I carry a basic tool kit in every car, and enough tools in my seat bag to insure that I won't have to walk home (And a phone and a $20 bill if all else fails.) The funny part is that I have never had a car or bike breakdown since - but the tools are still there.
The presence of tools could be preventing breakdowns. You can test this hypothesis by leaving them at home some time and seeing if your car or bike breaks down.....

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-17-21, 03:11 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
My Topeak Ninja 16+ weighs in at only 92grams and has a chain tool on it.
I also have a spare quicklink and a pair of Latex Gloves.

I'd like to claim I keep my chain clean and don't need the gloves... but you understand!

Barry

And remember... AAA will come get a broken bicycle and rider. Yep, really!

Last edited by Barry2; 06-17-21 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-17-21, 07:39 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by MNebiker

Whats the $20 for?
Old 06-17-21, 07:57 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
Whats the $20 for?
Tire Boot

A man of means!

Barry
Old 06-17-21, 08:41 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I used to carry one 25 years ago. I needed it one time. I mean, REALLY needed it! Rear derailleur cable broke, leaving me in the 12 tooth cog. This was before cell phones were something you carried along on rides. I was 8 miles from home, and any route I took to get home included at least one 5 minute, 6%+ climb, which I am pretty sure I'd have had a hell of a time doing in 39x12. Broke the chain, rewrapped it somewhere mid-cassette, skipping the derailleur, and rode home.

Lesson learned - replace your cables before you think you need to, because they're cheap and it's easier than having them break on a ride.

These days, I carry a cell phone instead of a ton of tools. I have a tube, levers, patches, and a multi-tool, but no chain breaker anymore.

In that instance, you didn't need a chain tool, just a roll of tape (or a zip tie or tie off the cable, etc.).

Tape- very handy for lots of fixes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.