Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 06-30-20, 11:52 AM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
The Robin Hood was a bit of a mess, indicator chain broken off in the axle, and its an AW, no coaster brake, so there are no brakes on the bike.
Old 06-30-20, 12:24 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
The Robin Hood was a bit of a mess, indicator chain broken off in the axle, and its an AW, no coaster brake, so there are no brakes on the bike.
Did you buy it? I think I have a pair of steel Raleigh calipers around here that are yours for shipping.
Old 06-30-20, 01:08 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by dweenk
Did you buy it? I think I have a pair of steel Raleigh calipers around here that are yours for shipping.
I didn't, thanks for the offer!
Old 06-30-20, 07:03 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Nice! And cheap! Looks like a 23" frame. Rare silver/blue color. Seller didn't really try to find tires.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...09030779183718

Old 06-30-20, 07:07 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Could this be a Lenton? Hard to tell through the grime.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...77729846761634

Old 07-01-20, 10:01 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Could this be a Lenton? Hard to tell through the grime.
Lentons had a different crank, pedals and wheels (the lack of an alloy hub in the front is a bit of a giveaway). This looks like a 60's Sports with Dynohub, dropped bars and a Brooks B17. Of course if it were a Lenton it would say so. The last of the Lentons is the 'Lenton Marque Three' which looks a bit more colorful than what you see on the downtube.
Old 07-03-20, 05:05 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 287 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterLYoung
I was given this bike by a gentleman in his eighties who told me he bought it new in 1948. He no longer can ride it and as I restored bikes he offered it to me for free. After taking a look at it I made him take a payment for it, a token payment really but fair as it was going to cost a lot to restore.

The Humber Beeston Clubman is the rarest of the trio of Clubman bikes made by Raleigh, the other two are the Lenton Clubman and the Rudge Aero Clubman.
It had a Sturmey Archer AM Medium Ratio 3 Speed but he said it had failed at some point and the bike shop swopped the innards for an AW Wide Ratio unit.
The bike had been adapted as he got older and the dropped bars changed for Straight Bars and the brakes changed for later Raleigh design as the originals had the fixed length with nipples both ends and the cables were obsolete. Also the rat-trap pedals were replaced with rubber tread ones. The 26” x 1-1/4”. Dunlop Special Lightweight rims were shot having been dented and rusted.

So really I only had a frame, crank set and hubs (SA Casing for rear). From which to restore his bike to original condition.

The frame had been over-sprayed, covering the transfers in a thin film of blue paint. Fortunately there was enough present to photograph and dimension all the transfers to get new ones made. Lloyds made me a new set so I can get the frame refinished and transfers replaced.
The original bars and stem had been long discarded and the stem being the clamp type I had little hope of finding one, luckily and guy in Canada had a correct bars and stem and was happy to sell and ship to UK, fortunately they are in nice condition
The brakes were also tricky as for the Humber Fork Crown they have a special ferrule to fit between the crown plates, I bought several old sets from e-bay and between them I managed to make up a decent correct set. I have also managed to obtain some correct NOS cables.
The 3 Speed trigger on the bike was a mid-fifties type, not correct for 1948 . After much searching I obtained a NOS Model GC2 Trigger which was only made between 1948 & 1949, very rare as NOS.
I found a Sturmey Archer AM 3 Speed hub on e-bay but when I stripped it one of the planet gears and the axle sun gear were stripped, Colwood Wheelworks who happen to be close by supplied the damaged parts so I could rebuild it. In this 3 Speed the planet wheels have to be set using timing marks when re-assembling and this probably was the cause of the damage. I now also have a spare AM 3 Speed hub for spares if needed.
The wheels were 26” x 1-1/4” 40 spoke rear and 32 front. I really wanted to fit the correct Dunlop Special Lightweight rims but these are rare as hens teeth. I attended Bike Jumbles and everyone I spoke to was also wanting them and having no luck. After about a year of looking a front 32 hole stainless one turned up on e-bay and I paid a large sum to get it, it arrived with its original factory wrapping paper still on it.
A few weeks later a rear chrome 40 hole one also NOS showed up and I grabbed that too and that was also still in its original wrapping. At a glance they look identical though stainless has a slightly different colour to the expert eye. The wheels are away being built and I am so pleased to have the correct rims. The chrome parts on the bike do have some corrosion on the visible surfaces but it is not too bad and white vinegar is eliminating the rust, with an oil coating they will be acceptable for re use. All the bearing surfaces are good and will be fine with new balls.
The Bottom Bracket is fine and I also have a NOS replacement set of Cups and Axle if needed.
I found a correct set of rat trap pedals also on e-bay.
Current state of play is the frame has to go to the re-finisher but with the Covid-19 situation I am not able to take it to them. This may change after July 4th when new rules come into play.

Humber Beeston Clubman as obtained.

Pinch bolt type Headset.

Original SA Wheel Wingnuts are all present as also all the mudguard (fender) quick release wing nuts/bolts.

Bike with correct Bars, Stem, Brake Levers & Trigger Shifter fitted.

Bike Stripped and parts treated for re use.

Better view of bike parts showing correct Brakes and Pedals. Saddle has been well treated with Brooks Proofide and I hope to get to good enough condition for re-use.

This is the Sturmey Archer AM Hub, designed for Clubman Bikes. The Planet gears are duplex and need to be timed during re-assembly otherwise they are destroyed when the bike is ridden.

This is the GC2 Trigger Shifter only produced in 1948 & 1949.

This is the GC2 that I obtained NOS.

Humber Beeston Catalogue 1948 Model 325 Literature/Specification.
Thanks for posting this.
I like te see the ongoing progress of these projects.
Old 07-03-20, 06:03 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Not cheap, but looks very nice. And my size.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...12664746047321

Old 07-04-20, 12:44 PM
oldveloman

Bikes: 1951-2 BSA 900E Roadster, 1961 Triumph Sports, 1953 Raleigh Sports, 1981 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Twenty, 1951 Taxandria, ±1950 The Gold Lion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
BSA 3 speed hub

Bought myself a NOS BSA 3-speed hub a few days ago.
The thread on the axle of the original one in my 1954 BSA Tourer was badly damaged when I bought it many years ago, but finally failed completely last month, and nearly lost its nut.
The damage can be seen in the picture below.
So I am pretty happy I found a new one, as these things are very hard to find over here...
As an added bonus: it has a longer axle.

Peter

Old 07-04-20, 12:54 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Thought I'd share this here for you all. Neat old Hercules step through for sale.

https://lancaster.craigslist.org/bik...149254689.html
Old 07-04-20, 04:06 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by oldveloman
The thread on the axle of the original one in my 1954 BSA Tourer was badly damaged when I bought it many years ago, but finally failed completely last month, and nearly lost its nut.
So I am pretty happy I found a new one, as these things are very hard to find over here...

Peter
I would try to salvage the bad one by rethreading it to a smaller size for modern hardware, I wouldn't rule out imperial threading if metric die sizes are too big or too small, but it is likely difficult to find any imperial thread cutting equipment over there.
Old 07-04-20, 06:33 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,044 Times in 1,252 Posts

Peter
I'm surprised the axle thread failed and not the nut. Try to clean the old axle with a thread file. Axle nut's shouldn't be to hard to get
Old 07-04-20, 07:23 PM
JJScaliger

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 58 Posts
I just had an axle nut fail on me a couple of weeks ago when I switched tires. That sickening feeling of tightening but nothing happening. I was scared it was the axle, but just the nut.
Likes For JJScaliger:
Old 07-04-20, 08:07 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Just sold my Superbe, 23”...don’t miss it...gained a lot of room! I can now work on the three road bikes that have been stuck behind it!
Just two DL-1s and one Dunelt girls bike left and then no more old ass Raleighs!
I get my shop back!
By next Thursday I will have been offered and will have brought home at least two more old ass Raleighs!
Hopefully I’ll have the two of the

Handlebars have been grabbing my apron, shirt, and pants pockets for about week and a half Now...

Elbow room! Red Bridgestone is done...Grand Tourismo is next...then the Grand Rally...
three projects done before that happens...
Old 07-05-20, 03:01 AM
oldveloman

Bikes: 1951-2 BSA 900E Roadster, 1961 Triumph Sports, 1953 Raleigh Sports, 1981 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Twenty, 1951 Taxandria, ±1950 The Gold Lion Tandem

I would try to salvage the bad one by rethreading it to a smaller size for modern hardware, I wouldn't rule out imperial threading if metric die sizes are too big or too small, but it is likely difficult to find any imperial thread cutting equipment over there.
I was thinking the same, but there' s not much metal left. Axle diameter is also smaller than the Sturmey- ones.

Peter
Old 07-05-20, 03:07 AM
oldveloman

Originally Posted by clubman
I'm surprised the axle thread failed and not the nut. Try to clean the old axle with a thread file. Axle nut's shouldn't be to hard to get
The nut is in fairly good condition. Finding a spare one will be near impossible, as these hubs are pretty rare over here, so the only option will be making a new one, if this one fails...

Peter
Old 07-05-20, 07:23 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 287 Posts
Raleigh Rodeo

These were re branded as Rodeo and sold through Beaver Hardware Stores here in Canada

A busy beaver with his tool box.

Last edited by gster; 07-05-20 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-05-20, 09:03 AM
jackbombay

I was thinking the same, but there' s not much metal left. Axle diameter is also smaller than the Sturmey- ones.

Peter
Put a larger nut over the axle first then put the proper nut on the axle so its tightening on axle threads that are still there? Or stack up some washers under the proper axle nut? Surely there are some useable threads further out on the axle, yea?
Old 07-05-20, 10:22 AM
oldveloman

Put a larger nut over the axle first then put the proper nut on the axle so its tightening on axle threads that are still there? Or stack up some washers under the proper axle nut? Surely there are some useable threads further out on the axle, yea?
I am afraid that won' t work. The axle is barely long enough and the thread is horribly damaged. I will use the new hub and of course save all parts from the original hub, but I think the original axle is pretty useless. Welding up and cutting new thread might be an option if I ever need it, but I think - and hope - the new one will last forever

Peter
Old 07-05-20, 07:41 PM
arty dave

Bikes: 30's Speedwell Club Racer, 40's Speedwell 'Z' racer, 50's Unknown Aussie with nice lugs, 50's Speedwell Roadster, 50's Repco Roadster, '63 Raleigh DL-1, 70's Raleigh Sprite, Puch Promenade with Nexus 8

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
Hi All, can I have some tyre advice/feedback/reviews? I'm ordering a part from Bike24 and thought I'd get some 28 x 1 1/2 tyres for a roadster project while I'm at it . I can only buy Kendas in Australia, but with the prices being comparable even with shipping, I can get something of better quality from Bike24. I was going to get some delta cruisers but they only have them in Creme and I want a black tyre. They stock the following in 28 x 1 1/2 that are in my price range:

Continental Ride Classic

Schwalbe Marathon Performance

Continental RIDE Tour
Old 07-06-20, 04:41 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by arty dave
Hi All, can I have some tyre advice/feedback/reviews? I'm ordering a part from Bike24 and thought I'd get some 28 x 1 1/2 tyres for a roadster project while I'm at it . I can only buy Kendas in Australia, but with the prices being comparable even with shipping, I can get something of better quality from Bike24. I was going to get some delta cruisers but they only have them in Creme and I want a black tyre. They stock the following in 28 x 1 1/2 that are in my price range:

Continental Ride Classic

Schwalbe Marathon Performance

Continental RIDE Tour
I have those Conti Tour Rides on my DL-1. Bought them because they claim to be puncture resistant. An important feature for these bikes! I'm happy with them.
Old 07-06-20, 05:22 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
A dumpster find that I almost forgot about...

Likes For branko_76:
Old 07-06-20, 06:23 AM
katzenfinch

Bikes: Chapman Rando, Rivendell Atlantis, Trek 2100, Bridgestone MB5, Burley Duet, Trek 614

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Barnaby

Last week a fried gave me the Rudge that he’d had since he was 12 years of age. Other than the saddle, it’s in pretty good unrestored condition (a new B66 is on order). I look forward to the next Tweed Ride.
Likes For katzenfinch:
Old 07-06-20, 08:01 AM
BigChief 

Originally Posted by branko_76
A dumpster find that I almost forgot about...

Nice! That's an early one. Possibly even pre war. What date is stamped on the hub? Amazing that it has the original handlebar grips. Or at least the correct short style these bikes came with originally. Could you please post a close up of them? So few survive today that building up reference material is difficult. Original dual quill pedals too. Another rarity. That looks to be the very first style trigger shifter with the external spring. You're lucky if it's still there. They tend to get lost. Can't see in the photo. These require a special cable end and are more trouble to get working, but well worth the effort. Very, very nice bike.
Old 07-06-20, 08:15 AM
BigChief 

Originally Posted by katzenfinch

Last week a fried gave me the Rudge that he’d had since he was 12 years of age. Other than the saddle, it’s in pretty good unrestored condition (a new B66 is on order). I look forward to the next Tweed Ride.
I like this one. Always had a soft spot for Rudges. I don't see a 20-30 sticker on the seat tube, so I'll guess it's pre 1954. I have one just like it. My old legs didn't get along with the tall 48x18 gearing. It's a 1951 with a threaded cog on the AW hub. I had to swap out the threaded driver for a splined one so I could fit a 22T cog on the hub.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.