Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hydroformed steel

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hydroformed steel

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-14, 05:56 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Hydroformed steel

After putting over 5000 miles on a hydroformed aluminum frame I am completely sold on the process. The ride quality and stiffness are better than any bike I've owned, and I've owned a lot. I do not see any advantages carbon has, except for a slightly lighter weight, and yes I've owned one. I'm not here to debate that, but I am curious as to why there are no hydroformed steel bikes. I love steel, it's what I started out on and I'll always have a steel bike. But the thought of a hydroformed one gives me a thrill up my leg (as an unwise man once said). I know steel has been hydroformed in other applications, but what's up with bikes? Would it cost more to do than aluminum? Any guesses?
Old 12-13-14, 06:04 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
I don't think the process works on steel. Alloy is much softer. This is only speculation, however.

Old 12-13-14, 07:40 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
After putting over 5000 miles on a hydroformed aluminum frame I am completely sold on the process. The ride quality and stiffness are better than any bike I've owned, and I've owned a lot. I do not see any advantages carbon has, except for a slightly lighter weight, and yes I've owned one. I'm not here to debate that, but I am curious as to why there are no hydroformed steel bikes. I love steel, it's what I started out on and I'll always have a steel bike. But the thought of a hydroformed one gives me a thrill up my leg (as an unwise man once said). I know steel has been hydroformed in other applications, but what's up with bikes? Would it cost more to do than aluminum? Any guesses?
First, your thesis of a hydroformed Al bike riding as well as a carbon bike is flawed. One of the best engineered Al bikes on the planet is the Spesh Allez Smartweld with very asymmetric hydroformed sections throughout that closely emulate a carbon tube frame shape in fact. First time you look at a Allez it looks like a carbon bike. The Tarmac rides noticeably better.
Will some be OK with a hydoformed Al bike? Absolutely. The CAAD10 also rides decently with less hydroforming. Al bikes have come a long way but lets be clear. The Tarmac for those know, rides noticeably better. I know this first hand being around racers that ride each.

As to hydroforming Steel. Hydroforming is based upon pressure and plastic deformation without fracture. Al has much lower yield strength and much lower modulus of elasticity compared to steel. This can be worked around somewhat...but not without the weight aka material density getting in the way. So far, I haven't seen any hydroformed steel bikes...hydroforming creating a differential section modulus which divorces lateral from vertical bending....providing ride compliancy but stiffness when applying a big load to the pedals.
Old 12-13-14, 07:52 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
First, your thesis of a hydroformed Al bike riding as well as a carbon bike is flawed. . . .
So just to be clear. The OP has a subjective opinion as to the ride quality of a hydroformed AL bike and that subjective opinion is flawed. That's good to know.
Old 12-13-14, 07:55 AM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Breezer has a hydroformed steel road bike.

Old 12-13-14, 07:59 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
First, your thesis of a hydroformed Al bike riding as well as a carbon bike is flawed. One of the best engineered Al bikes on the planet is the Spesh Allez Smartweld with very asymmetric hydroformed sections throughout that closely emulate a carbon tube frame shape in fact. First time you look at a Allez it looks like a carbon bike. The Tarmac rides noticeably better.
Will some be OK with a hydoformed Al bike? Absolutely. The CAAD10 also rides decently with less hydroforming. Al bikes have come a long way but lets be clear. The Tarmac for those know, rides noticeably better. I know this first hand being around racers that ride each.

As to hydroforming Steel. Hydroforming is based upon pressure and plastic deformation without fracture. Al has much lower yield strength and much lower modulus of elasticity compared to steel. This can be worked around somewhat...but not without the weight aka material density getting in the way. So far, I haven't seen any hydroformed steel bikes...hydroforming creating a differential section modulus which divorces lateral from vertical bending....providing ride compliancy but stiffness when applying a big load to the pedals.
This is the definitive answer. @Campag4life has not (as at times in the past) mentioned the lack of ability to lay up metals with regard to directionally differential stiffness and strength characteristics as another reason that Al cannot truly match well designed and executed carbon fiber, and that is even more reason for the differences.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 12-13-14, 08:01 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by RNAV
Nominally yes, but just looking at the photo, I don't see much shaping of the tubes. That leads me to believe the hydroforming is very minimal.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 12-13-14, 08:30 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Any metal can be hydroformed but the pressures necessary are quite high for steel and Ti.

A well made, triple hydroformed aluminum frame or a budget level carbon frame; which would you choose if you had a $2500 budget?

It's unfair to compare the Allez to the Tarmac without taking cost into consideration. ($975 versus $3000)
Old 12-13-14, 08:56 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
So just to be clear. The OP has a subjective opinion as to the ride quality of a hydroformed AL bike and that subjective opinion is flawed. That's good to know.
It's all subjective / hearsay. There is no one definition of "ride quality" and nothing that would pass muster as meaningful data that backs up anybody's assertions about it. The space of possibilities is infinite, making this a "how many angels can fit on the head of a pin" exercise.

The much higher tooling and processing costs associated with hydroforming steel bike frames relative to market demand would seem to make it financially too risky - why it isn't happening.

Last edited by sced; 12-13-14 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-13-14, 09:56 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18370 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
The notes I'm seeing indicate that hydroforming is used in the auto industry with steel, although there are apparently two different processes, tube hydroforming, and sheet hydroforming. Perhaps the sheet hydroforming is the common process with steel in cars. Nonetheless, either process should work with steel. (CroMo?)

Colnago and other manufactures had experimented with unique steel tube shapes in the 80's and 90's.

I think the biggest limitation is that no cutting edge research is being done with steel frames now. It is all Aluminum and CF.
Old 12-13-14, 12:52 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3132 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Nominally yes, but just looking at the photo, I don't see much shaping of the tubes. That leads me to believe the hydroforming is very minimal.
WTF does that mean??? Nominally? It has hydroformed tubes.

It is an expensive process to apply to steel, particularly for the machine costs. Two years ago, there were only two factories able to produce hydroformed steel tubes in the world, both in-- surprise, surprise-- Taiwan. Breezer claime in '12 theirs was the "first and only" hydroformed steel road frame in existence. I don't know if that has changed.

So, it can be done, and it can produce a light, rigid steel frame; I have one of the Venturis and can attest to that first hand.

The questions, then, revolve around why it isn't more common, and I think the answer is simply that it's new tech being applied to out-of-vogue material, and the relative costs to gains are too high for most to indulge when they're already elbow deep in carbon that's also highly fashionable. HF steel just doesn't make sense in purely practical terms, but for a company wanting to make a philosophical statement and with the means, well, that explains the Breezer, anyway.
Old 12-13-14, 12:53 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by sced
It's all subjective / hearsay. There is no one definition of "ride quality" and nothing that would pass muster as meaningful data that backs up anybody's assertions about it. The space of possibilities is infinite, making this a "how many angels can fit on the head of a pin" exercise.

The much higher tooling and processing costs associated with hydroforming steel bike frames relative to market demand would seem to make it financially too risky - why it isn't happening.
Exactly.
Old 12-13-14, 01:17 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by chaadster
WTF does that mean??? Nominally? It has hydroformed tubes.

It is an expensive process to apply to steel, particularly for the machine costs. Two years ago, there were only two factories able to produce hydroformed steel tubes in the world, both in-- surprise, surprise-- Taiwan. Breezer claime in '12 theirs was the "first and only" hydroformed steel road frame in existence. I don't know if that has changed.

So, it can be done, and it can produce a light, rigid steel frame; I have one of the Venturis and can attest to that first hand.

The questions, then, revolve around why it isn't more common, and I think the answer is simply that it's new tech being applied to out-of-vogue material, and the relative costs to gains are too high for most to indulge when they're already elbow deep in carbon that's also highly fashionable. HF steel just doesn't make sense in purely practical terms, but for a company wanting to make a philosophical statement and with the means, well, that explains the Breezer, anyway.
I don't disagree with anything you said. My comment was simply an observation coupled with surprise. Hydroforming isn't a prima facia quality booster. It is done for a purpose, i.e. to impart shapes and cross sectional profile details to bicycle tubes that cannot be accomplished with traditional extrusion-over-a-mandrel techniques. It only has value relative to its cost if it produces such effects. Okay, so what I was saying was, where are those shapes on the Breezer tubes? I don't see them. Hence my use of the term nominally. Maybe a bad choice of words, but I meant the process was named hydroforming, but the result doesn't look like hydroforming was used. Why was this exotic process employed if there is no evidence of the effect? Well, perhaps there are details on the inside of the tubes that needed hydroforming to be produced. I don't know. Can you shed some light on this? Another explanation is that the limits of steel hydroforming only allow minimal shape, etc. effects to be realized. That is what I was really suggesting. Just guessing of course.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 12-13-14, 01:39 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

I don't disagree with anything you said. My comment was simply an observation coupled with surprise. Hydroforming isn't a prima facia quality booster. It is done for a purpose, i.e. to impart shapes and cross sectional profile details to bicycle tubes that cannot be accomplished with traditional extrusion-over-a-mandrel techniques. It only has value relative to its cost if it produces such effects. Okay, so what I was saying was, where are those shapes on the Breezer tubes? I don't see them. Hence my use of the term nominally. Maybe a bad choice of words, but I meant the process was named hydroforming, but the result doesn't look like hydroforming was used. Why was this exotic process employed if there is no evidence of the effect? Well, perhaps there are details on the inside of the tubes that needed hydroforming to be produced. I don't know. Can you shed some light on this? Another explanation is that the limits of steel hydroforming only allow minimal shape, etc. effects to be realized. That is what I was really suggesting. Just guessing of course.
It's a very strange conclusion to jump to that Breezer is saying they're HF tubes when they're not, especially when you've never seen HF steel, never seen the bike, and only reference HF alu.

I think a more critical consideration would have been to ask, "Wow, compared to the aluminum frames I've seen, the Breezer really has a lot less shaping. Is that a limitation of what can be done with steel, or a manifestation of how little shaping it really takes to make an awesome steel frame?"

Look up Breezers D'Fusion tubesets, and you'll learn the HF shaping he's designed into this tubeset is derived from his alu tubesets, which aside from being larger and easier for the indiscriminate eye to grasp, share the same D shaped tube ends to enhance stiffness of the front end. None of his bikes are radically shaped, which I'd guess is the more common conception of HF. Those shapes may work, they may even be better, or they may be just for show, I dunno, but I do know the D'Fusion shaping really seems to work in the steel while preserving an essentially classic look, which I *deeply* appreciate.
Old 12-13-14, 01:55 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
I don't think the process works on steel. Alloy is much softer. This is only speculation, however.
It does work on steel. Harley Davidson does it. I'm sure it takes much more pressure to shape the tubing than alu.

First, your thesis of a hydroformed Al bike riding as well as a carbon bike is flawed.
It's not a "thesis", it's an opinion. What you think of that opinion means nothing to me. And I stated I'm not here to debate that so start drama elsewhere.
Old 12-13-14, 03:25 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
they probably just plugged all the holes, shoved a hose up the downtube, turned on the faucet and called it good.
Old 12-13-14, 03:39 PM
rpenmanparker 

It's a very strange conclusion to jump to that Breezer is saying they're HF tubes when they're not, especially when you've never seen HF steel, never seen the bike, and only reference HF alu.

I think a more critical consideration would have been to ask, "Wow, compared to the aluminum frames I've seen, the Breezer really has a lot less shaping. Is that a limitation of what can be done with steel, or a manifestation of how little shaping it really takes to make an awesome steel frame?"

Look up Breezers D'Fusion tubesets, and you'll learn the HF shaping he's designed into this tubeset is derived from his alu tubesets, which aside from being larger and easier for the indiscriminate eye to grasp, share the same D shaped tube ends to enhance stiffness of the front end. None of his bikes are radically shaped, which I'd guess is the more common conception of HF. Those shapes may work, they may even be better, or they may be just for show, I dunno, but I do know the D'Fusion shaping really seems to work in the steel while preserving an essentially classic look, which I *deeply* appreciate.
That is a fair assessment. I asked you to explain why the hydfroforming wouldn't be more obvious, and you offered a hypothesis. Your other one about the limitations of steel is important also. In order retain a semblance of light weight and avoid tube denting, tube size has to be kept moderate and that includes the size of every part of the tube. Extreme shaping means an extreme differential in the size of a tube at different parts along its length. Steel shaping might be limited by the range of wall thicknesses and diameters which attention to weight and dent resistance allow. This would be consistent with the maximum diameter useful in a more traditional butted steel tube which provides both performance and weight advantages. As wonderful a bicycle frame material as steel is, and I am a steel guy from way back, it is generally recognized that it will always be deficient to aluminum in its ability to relatively upsize tube diameter and downsize tube gauge in order to maximize stiffness and minimize weight.

That Breezer is a beautiful frame. I am glad you like it.

Originally Posted by LAJ

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 12-13-14 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-13-14, 03:43 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
they probably just plugged all the holes, shoved a hose up the downtube, turned on the faucet and called it good.
There is something vaguely perverted about that proposal, but it certainly has merit.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 12-13-14, 03:48 PM
hueyhoolihan

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
First, your thesis of a hydroformed Al bike riding as well as a carbon bike is flawed.
Originally Posted by bikemig
Old 12-13-14, 03:53 PM
hueyhoolihan

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
There is something vaguely perverted about that proposal, but it certainly has merit.
that's what i was going for... vaguely perverted and meretricious.
Old 12-13-14, 03:58 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
that's what i was going for... vaguely perverted and meretricious.
That's my kind of man!

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 12-13-14, 04:14 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

That is a fair assessment. I asked you to explain why the hydfroforming wouldn't be more obvious, and you offered a hypothesis. Your other one about the limitations of steel is important also. In order to preserve a semblance of light weight, tube size has to be kept moderate and that includes the size of every part of the tube. Extreme shaping means an extreme differential in the size of a tube at different parts along its length. Steel shaping might be limited by the range of wall thicknesses and diameters which attention to weight and dent resistance allow. This would be consistent with the maximum diameter useful in a more traditional butted steel tube which provides both performance and weight advantages. As wonderful a bicycle frame material as steel is, and I am a steel guy from way back, it is generally recognized that it will always be deficient to aluminum in its ability to relatively upsize tube diameter and downsize tube gauge in order to maximize stiffness and minimize weight.

That Breezer is a beautiful frame. I am glad you like it.
Well given that every material is limited in those ways, it again goes to a lack of experience with the possibilities of hydroforming that make you think it's not "obvious" on the Breezer. I mean steel is not aluminum, so why should it look the same?

Does hydroforming look like something? No, it doesn't, it's a process to achieve a design objective, and depending on what the criteria are and the substance being formed, it's only reasonable to expect that the properties of different materials in different applications should force the results to appear different.

The Breezer obviously has shaped tubes; why they're not more extremely shaped, I don't know, but I think the reasonable and most likely answer is that they don't need to be. All the wild-assed guessing stuff I'll have to leave to you; I don't know enough about materials properties, engineering, or the HF process to hazard any rooted-in-reality insights, nor am I'm terribly interested in indulging meaningless hypotheticals.
Old 12-13-14, 04:17 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

That's my kind of man!
Given that meretricious also means having the characteristics of a prostitute, that comment is a little awkward...
Old 12-13-14, 04:53 PM
rpenmanparker 

Given that meretricious also means having the characteristics of a prostitute, that comment is a little awkward...
At least he has style.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 12-13-14, 05:01 PM
rpenmanparker 

Well given that every material is limited in those ways, it again goes to a lack of experience with the possibilities of hydroforming that make you think it's not "obvious" on the Breezer. I mean steel is not aluminum, so why should it look the same?

Does hydroforming look like something? No, it doesn't, it's a process to achieve a design objective, and depending on what the criteria are and the substance being formed, it's only reasonable to expect that the properties of different materials in different applications should force the results to appear different.

The Breezer obviously has shaped tubes; why they're not more extremely shaped, I don't know, but I think the reasonable and most likely answer is that they don't need to be. All the wild-assed guessing stuff I'll have to leave to you; I don't know enough about materials properties, engineering, or the HF process to hazard any rooted-in-reality insights, nor am I'm terribly interested in indulging meaningless hypotheticals.
Of course they need to be. The problem is they can't be. Not because hydroforming can't do it, but because either of two things would happen. Either the wall thickness will be sufficient, and the weight of the frame due to the larger diameter will be too high to meet the design goals, OR the wall thickness will be insufficient, and the tubes will be prone to denting. So the hydroforming has to be applied to smaller diameter tubes than with aluminum where the effects don't APPEAR to be as great. That is how steel suffers in comparison to aluminum. By the way, Ti is between the two in this regard. That is why aluminum has become the premier metal frame material, followed by titanium and then steel.

Originally Posted by LAJ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.