Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Anyone regret buying that 2nd bike?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-17, 09:26 PM
JerseyShore

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Now that I'm back in the game - I see 3-4 bikes I'd like to have besides my Verve 3..
I like the Trek Marlin & Giant Talon specifically...
Just not sure I can justify another 4-600 bucks with risk of neglecting one ...

Thoughts?
Old 06-19-17, 09:34 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, for me I just added another bike to my garage this month to bring the count back to 3. Since I knew what I wanted, I set up a "future bike" jar and added a few bucks to it when I had a extra buck or two. About a year or so later, I had the money to buy bike #3, and there was no buyer remorse, or worry if I should've spent the money elsewhere. I justified my new purchase on the thought that I saved money I would've spent elsewhere, (like going out to lunch everyday). Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Scooty Puff Jr; 06-19-17 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-19-17, 10:01 PM
JerseyShore

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooty Puff Jr
Well, for me I just added another bike to my garage this month to bring the count back to 3. Since I knew what I wanted, I set up a "future bike" jar and added a few bucks to it when I had a extra buck or two. About a year or so later, I had the money to buy bike #3, and there was no buyer remorse, or worry if I should've spent the money elsewhere. I justified my new purchase on the thought that I saved money I would've spent elsewhere, (like going out to lunch everyday). Just my 2 cents.
What bikes do you have? Do you get use of at lest two ?

A guy my height 6 ' 5 ' 230 any mountain bikes I should look at?
Old 06-19-17, 10:11 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I really don't know a lot about MTB, it's pretty flat where I live, so they aren't very popular around here. I'm sure you could get a better answer in the MTB section.

My oldest bike is a 30 year old MTB with a CroMo frame, I keep that mostly for a "guest bike". The other two (Fuji, Trek) are flatbar road bikes, the Fuji gets ridden on weekend long rides (100 miles or more when the temperature drops in the fall because its so hot here in the summer) because it has the racks and is just suited well for that type rides. My new Trek FXS6 is my daily fitness rider, it's well suited for long rides but its not set up for racks, and I try to keep the weight low on it as well.

Then my GF has two of her bikes here too, so I got a garage full of them lol.
Old 06-19-17, 10:16 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Regret on the 2nd bike, no, as they each have purpose (Mountain & Gravel/Road/Commuter).

The hybrid (3rd) bike, somewhat as I ride it the least, but I bought it used for cheap so their really is no depreciation. It mostly gets used by my father when he stays with me.

There are a lot of entry level mountain bikes on craigslist like the Marlin, maybe you will have less regret if you find a good deal.
Old 06-19-17, 10:23 PM
Cigarguy

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No regret with any of my 3 bikes. Mountain, hybrid and road, each serves a different purpose and I love riding each of them. Less excuse for me to not ride with such variety. Never an excuse not to ride because my bike is broken. I try not to break all 3 at once. Compared to my cars, bikes lasts me a long time as I do take care of my gear. After about a decade or 2, if I'm inclined to part with a bike, I'd give it to someone who would continue to appreciate it.
Old 06-19-17, 11:12 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I sort of regret the second and the forth but all the rest are ok.
Old 06-20-17, 12:01 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
I thought this was one of those internet memes... "Anyone regret buying that 2nd bike? Said no one, ever!"
Old 06-20-17, 12:32 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
I regret not buying a 2nd bike, as I want to get more adventurous with doing my own maintenance and having only one bike makes me reluctant to try certain things in case I stuff something up.

A 2nd bike will be coming my way in a few months, to remedy the above situation.
Old 06-20-17, 05:14 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
JS, you're funny guy!
Old 06-20-17, 05:28 AM
FM1178

Bikes: Specialized Roll & Trek Fuel Ex 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Definitely not. I have 3. A hybrid, a cruiser for when my wife and I ride together and a FS mountain bike. Going to be adding another mountain bike in the next few months, just waiting for the 2018 Treks to hit my LBS.
Old 06-20-17, 06:50 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I have three bikes that I ride regularly (plus the other family bikes). Each fills a specific use for me.

2015 Trek Verve 3: this is an upright hybrid that I use for casual rides with the family. I like sitting upright in this case so I can turn around and look at/talk to other family members on the ride. Our average speed is something like 6-8 mph on rides like this. We ride to the park and the kids go play on the playground. We ride some of the MUPs and around the neighborhood. I like to be upright and speed matters not.

1997 Trek 750: I bought this a couple of months ago to supplement my Verve. The 750 is a longer bike with more reach and a lower stem. It's about equivalent to a modern day Trek FX. It's a high quality chromoly steel bike that's pretty light (much lighter than the Verve!) and nimble. It's the bike I use when I ride alone or with my older daughter and we're out to make some distance.

(Seller photo)

1995 Motiv Stonegrinder: I bought this a few weeks ago on impulse. I already have a 1995 Motiv Stonegrinder which I have owned since new. Over the years, I've banged it up (owned it as a kid), spray-bombed it (which actually looks pretty good), and added newer components. My daughter's taken a liking to my original and rides it as her mountain bike. I never thought I'd see another one like it, but one popped up on Craigslist the other week for $40, in the original purple-fade to black-fade back to purple paint scheme. I offered the guy 20 bucks and he took it, and now it's mine. It has the original 2.10" knobbies and I'm keeping them on it. It rides like an absolute tank, and is a real workout, but it's fun to bang through absolutely anything on a singletrack trail and it just soaks it up. I wouldn't ride either of my Treks on those trails -- they're just not designed for it.

I believe in using the right tool at the right time. Bikes are relatively easy to store and inexpensive to buy and own, so I have more than one. I bought all of my bikes used, and I spent a total of $335 buying all three of them ($250 on the Verve 3, $65 on the 750, and $20 on the Stonegrinder). I've spent another $100-150 in upgrades and parts (some Ergon grips, a set of Conti Speed Ride tires, a pair of bar ends, a cell phone mount, etc).

You can spend a lot of money on bikes, but you don't have to.
Old 06-20-17, 07:56 AM
prj71

Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Regret? LOL. I have 4 bikes.

N + 1 is the number of bikes you should have. See rule #12.

Velominati ? The Rules
Old 06-20-17, 08:24 AM
JerseyShore

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm between a Marlin & Fat tire bike ... being big guy just not sure which one ...

I'm lucky that I can ride 3-4 times a day if i choose so I think a 2nd bike is in order.

I already have 5 with kids & wife all Trek btw.

But the Trek fat tire costs what some cars do .
Old 06-20-17, 08:45 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
JS, have you looked at the Specialized Roll? Sort of a "thin" fat tire bike. Tires are 2.3" wide, and it's on a hybrid-like frame. Interesting bike.
Old 06-20-17, 01:15 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by coominya
I sort of regret the second and the forth but all the rest are ok.

OP is asking a bunch of addicts if he/she should have "more"
Old 06-20-17, 01:16 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by JerseyShore
Now that I'm back in the game - I see 3-4 bikes I'd like to have besides my Verve 3..I like the Trek Marlin & Giant Talon specifically...Just not sure I can justify another 4-600 bucks with risk of neglecting one ...
what's the worst that can happen? you figure out which you'll ride & sell the others? that's not so bad. we used bike buyers need a steady supply of inventory
Old 06-20-17, 01:20 PM
coominya

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rumrunn6

OP is asking a bunch of addicts if he/she should have "more"
I used to have only one, rode it as much as I ride now for years and years. I had all this free time of course, I wasn't on bike forums, I wasn't working on bikes, looking at other bikes and restoring old bikes. So with all that free time I met a woman and got into a relationship and then one day I moved in with her. Big Mistake!

Now I don't have time for a girlfriend because I have so many bikes. And if it looks like I might be about to get some time, I buy another old bike

When you're 55, being single has no real downsides.

Last edited by coominya; 06-24-17 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-20-17, 01:27 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
No regrets here. I have 4 bikes, but will probably sell the more aggressive road bike at some point.
Old 06-20-17, 03:08 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
When you're 55 being, single has no real downsides.
I love your quote, I believe it will be my new mantra.

I love buying upgraded components to put on a brand new bike without having to answer questions why I think thats a good idea, (while she had no issues spending $500 on one pair of shoes when our closet looked like a shoe store warehouse).
Old 06-20-17, 09:01 PM
Piratebike

Bikes: 2010 Trek Wahoo, 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2012 Trek 520, 2016 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2017 Trek DS 4

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I regret my first one. It was all wrong. I didn't know eneough. But now I have 5. Each with a different use. I am about to turn that first one into a hunting bike.
Old 06-21-17, 12:55 AM
coominya

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Now that I'm back in the game - I see 3-4 bikes I'd like to have besides my Verve 3..
I like the Trek Marlin & Giant Talon specifically...

Thoughts?
I bought a Talon-1. Great for the bush tracks but never try to use it on road, the geometry is all wrong for that. I rode mine about 10km around to a friends here one day and ended up dropping the tire pressure and spending most of my time on grassy footpaths. lol

Honestly though if I had my money over I'd put it toward something with a dropper post. Rear suspension I can live without but a DP would be Soooo handy.
Old 06-21-17, 06:35 AM
JerseyShore

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I bought a Talon-1. Great for the bush tracks but never try to use it on road, the geometry is all wrong for that. I rode mine about 10km around to a friends here one day and ended up dropping the tire pressure and spending most of my time on grassy footpaths. lol

Honestly though if I had my money over I'd put it toward something with a dropper post. Rear suspension I can live without but a DP would be Soooo handy.
Yeah I've read that about the Talon now you confirmed it ...

I've also read the Trek Marlin can be s super stiff ride.

Trurh be told , I want a fat tire bike but I'm not paying 4 figures for a bicycle.
Old 06-21-17, 07:08 AM
prj71

Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
I want a fat tire bike but I'm not paying 4 figures for a bicycle.
If you look on Craigslist you can probably pick up a Specialized, Trek or other good brand name bike from the 2014-2015 era for 3 figures.

Hell...just last year Specialized was selling the 2016 Fatboy with Carbon fork for $1100.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/fatboy/106560
Old 06-21-17, 12:45 PM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The only thing stopping me from buying more bikes is money and bike storage space. If I had both, I would like to get a Giant Roam, then maybe a Specialized Diverge or Trek Domane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.