Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Studs on ... in October?!

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-23, 07:52 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts

No, no no no no!

Winnipeg just received an early taste of winter over the last few days with temperatures about 10 degrees lower than normal. The jet stream brought in arctic air and then snow given the moisture in the atmosphere. The streets are icy at the moment as will be the bike paths. This snow will eventually mostly melt or evaporate I estimate but riding right now on anything but studs may prove tricky. The Schwalbe Marathon 365 is usually the go to interim tire this time of year. Early snowfall always makes the winters seem much longer. On the bright side, November is forecast to be quite nice. Moral of the story, enjoy the rideable roads when you can!

Last edited by prairiepedaler; 10-28-23 at 07:55 AM.
Likes For prairiepedaler:
Old 10-28-23, 08:21 AM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
Yup. Same here in 'berta. I haven't hung up the skinny tires yet, but the studs are on the winter bike and I've had to dig out the winter clothes.
Old 10-28-23, 05:44 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
We got 10 cm in Regina back on Monday. It was wet stuff that resulted in a lot of ice when it got cold that night. I finally got over the winter denial and put my studded tires on today. It is rare for the first snow to stick around, but the temperatures dropped and stayed below freezing. I did some winter clothing repair this week and will go out tomorrow.
Old 10-28-23, 06:15 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
The possibility of snow this weekend was in the forecast here in the Twin Cities. It is cold enough, but it stayed dry.

That's fortunate because the roads and especially the trails are still covered with leaves. Leaves and icy stuff make for a lousy riding surface.
Old 10-29-23, 03:06 PM
UWSPBiker

Bikes: Trek 2100, Trek 950 SingleTrack, Terra Trike Tourer II, Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It’s quite relaxing to take a ride, pre sunrise, of the (winter) season with the studded wheel set. No one out, nice powder and gorgeous sunrise.
Likes For UWSPBiker:
Old 10-30-23, 11:56 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
might get some flakes mixed w/ rain in 2 days, "MetroWest" Boston
Old 10-30-23, 01:36 PM
Bikewolf

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Yes, the weather often surprises and no two years are exactly the same. For you it is ice and snow, for me rain and especially heavy winds (storm).
Those first pinpricks, sometimes strike me with fear, to be honest. I remember an evening last year when quite unexpectedly a slippery, very dangerous layer of ice formed. A slight panic caught me, me silly me. I had to leave early the next morning by bike, you know. But luckily the ice was already gone by then.

Studs sure are helpful. But there are times when you do have to get off your bike for safety reasons.​​​​​​​
Old 10-31-23, 06:57 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
We got a couple of inches of that white stuff overnight and the roads are slick. I'm hoping/assuming the roads will clear off in time for my afternoon ride, as the winter bike has summer slicks on it. And I'm optimistic I won't need the studs after today for at least a while.

32 years ago, we were supposed to get 6" of snow on Halloween, a Thursday. We had that by the time I got home from work. It kept coming, through the night and all day Friday. The Twin Cities was shut down, with over two feet of snow, and temps dropping to 0F. My wife's water broke Fri evening. We made it to the hospital the next morning thanks to the help of another apartment building resident with a four wheel drive pickup, with just over an hour to spare before our daughter was born.

The two inches out there right now is a yawner in comparison.
Likes For MNBikeCommuter:
Old 10-31-23, 09:22 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
Bit the bullet today and installed a partial studded on the back and full on the front. Sigh.

I was hoping to be able to get away with the partial on the front and the 365 all-season on the back for at least a few weeks.
Old 10-31-23, 09:30 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter
We got a couple of inches of that white stuff overnight and the roads are slick. I'm hoping/assuming the roads will clear off in time for my afternoon ride, as the winter bike has summer slicks on it. And I'm optimistic I won't need the studs after today for at least a while.

32 years ago, we were supposed to get 6" of snow on Halloween, a Thursday. We had that by the time I got home from work. It kept coming, through the night and all day Friday. The Twin Cities was shut down, with over two feet of snow, and temps dropping to 0F. My wife's water broke Fri evening. We made it to the hospital the next morning thanks to the help of another apartment building resident with a four wheel drive pickup, with just over an hour to spare before our daughter was born.

The two inches out there right now is a yawner in comparison.
That Halloween storm predates our arrival in Minnesota by a few years, but it looms large in the memories of pretty much all who lived through it. I've heard many people recount the experience when the topic of autumn snow comes up. But your account is probably the most memorable, in both a good and bad way.
Old 11-02-23, 04:43 PM
gecho

We are currently stuck in a wet every day pattern as it gets warm enough to melt a little bit of the snow every day but not warm enough to clear the roads. +7C and rain on Sunday so that might at least clear the roads until colder temperatures arrive. I went down a gravel road today and it was muddy since water pools on them instead of draining.
Old 11-04-23, 02:22 PM
gecho

I looked at my front studded tire and its in pretty rough shape. Once the rubber wears down the studs start snapping off. The center row of studs on my Ice Spiker are all gone, the two inners rows are also mostly gone just leaving the outer rows. Not sure how effective that will be on ice. Once we get another snow I'll switch to the fat bike, but I should keep an eye out for another tire.
Likes For gecho:
Old 11-11-23, 08:26 PM
Alan K

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by gecho
I looked at my front studded tire and its in pretty rough shape. Once the rubber wears down the studs start snapping off. The center row of studs on my Ice Spiker are all gone, the two inners rows are also mostly gone just leaving the outer rows. Not sure how effective that will be on ice. Once we get another snow I'll switch to the fat bike, but I should keep an eye out for another tire.
When my winter tires seem at their mid-life point, I buy a set of Schwalbe studded tires at the end of winter season when some online vendors discount them. This helps me with the cost as well as keeps me riding worry free.
Old 12-07-23, 10:58 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
My winter bike now has studs on, probably the latest in many years, new on front and old front on rear. And given the 10 day forecast, that's at least 10 days earlier than needed. I haven't ridden the winter bike since a wet-roads ride in Oct when I wanted its fenders. It's usually called up for winter duty in Nov, and some years even Oct.

I don't enjoy working with the Schwalbes. My front Sun CR18 rim does not like them, and I have pinched more tubes taking that tire on and off... The rear has a Mavic A719 and that's a good combo.
Old 12-07-23, 02:11 PM
gecho

Our 4th significant snow fall of the season has just about finished melting. Rain later today, then maybe a decent dump of snow tonight. Hoping we get snow that sticks at some point as the seasonal transition has been far too long and sloppy this year.
Old 12-13-23, 07:42 PM
gecho

We didn't get that last snow. Its looking like a high chance of a brown Christmas here. Mostly bare pavement but plenty of ice on side streets, anything in all day shade isn't melting. Unusually warm with many days above freezing, but the warmth just converts more of the remaining packed snow to ice.
Old 12-18-23, 08:55 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by gecho
We didn't get that last snow. Its looking like a high chance of a brown Christmas here. Mostly bare pavement but plenty of ice on side streets, anything in all day shade isn't melting. Unusually warm with many days above freezing, but the warmth just converts more of the remaining packed snow to ice.
ditto
weatherman this morning, says our chance for a white Christmas, is now a definitive ZERO. oh - well, gotta look forward to January & February, for some silly, winter, cycling fun
Old 12-18-23, 08:57 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter
I don't enjoy working with the Schwalbes. My front Sun CR18 rim does not like them, and I have pinched more tubes taking that tire on and off...
yeah I hear ya. must easier putting them on my MTB than my hybrid
Old 12-26-23, 09:22 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
15 years ago, I'd mount the studded tires over the Thanksgiving weekend and if we hadn't had snow already, we would by the next week. The last couple of years, I haven't needed them until January. Here we are at the end of December (in Chicago) and there's no snow imminent; it rained on Christmas Day.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 01-02-24, 03:03 PM
campfire

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 77 Posts
22 degrees this morning, but the ground is still dry. I have studs ready to go, but haven't needed to install them yet.