Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Fenders for Specialized Crosstrail Elite?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-18, 06:11 AM
LuckyRide

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail Elite 2018 & Giant OCR2 2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've recently purchased a 2018 Crosstrail Elite. I really enjoy riding it and I'd like to add some fenders to it. The salesman and the tech at the bike store both told me Specialized sometimes has trouble fitting parts to their frames. I asked about fenders at the store and they said they didn't have anything that would work and couldn't order anything, including the Specialized fenders, other than a universal guard that goes in the middle of the fork just above the tires and are affixed with zip ties or velcro; not something I am particularly interested in.

My bike has very small holes on the sides of the fork that are covered with small plastic caps, I believe that the Specialized fenders can fit into these holes with their "Plug & Play" lines. I'd like to get the Dry-Tech fenders they make. Does anyone have advise or experience with this predicament? I've tried to reach out to Specialized but they haven't gotten back to me.

For reference:
***I tried to post links but I am not allowed until 10 posts are made***

I can take pictures and upload them if needed.
Old 07-04-18, 07:41 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
wow what a disappointing bike shop. got any others nearby? what is your stock tire width? 32mm? 35mm? those plugged holes are probably the usual 5mm (M5) bike bolt. fenders come with them. often new bikes have a coat of paint in the threaded holes. a thin pocket knife can scrape a little off so you can more easily thread the bolts in. try them as-is first. does that bike have disc brakes? if the manufacturer has dedicated fenders, those would be the easiest to fit. do you live where it is summer right now? probably no rush to add fenders

just found these instructions (funny they call them plug & play) some of those holes are not for threaded bolts it seems

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...p6GuJk-DAYx9M_

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-04-18 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-04-18, 09:21 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
That LBS sounds to me as if they are having troubles with Specialized. Wouldn't be surprised if you find out that they stop selling Specialized bikes in the near future. You can Google: "Specialized Crosstrail with fenders" and get all kinds of images and ideas on what fenders you would like and would fit:

Example for the elite:

Old 07-04-18, 09:26 AM
travbikeman

I'm betting the image above is the following fenders:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/dr...=219278-130849

It shows in stock and you could just bypass the LBS if you wish. I would go with at least the 45mm since the Trigger Sport tires are 37mm and of course the smaller fenders will not fit properly.

By the way, these are plug and play for Specialized bikes. Which is why it leads me to believe your LBS is somehow about to cut ties with Specialized by telling you what they did.

There are also a heck of lot of fenders out there from other online stores if you want to go that route.

Last edited by travbikeman; 07-04-18 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-04-18, 12:45 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
The Specialized ones look really nice. And they are easy bolt on.

The Planet Bike Full Fenders work too, but take a little more strategy to mount.

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-F...SIN=B00TQ43EXG

They don't fit as perfectly as the Specialized ones (In my opinion) but they are half the price. Note, the description says that 35mm tires are the most they will hole (or 36...I can't remember) but I assure you they hold the Trigger Sport tires on the Crosstrail, with clearance space.

Old 07-05-18, 07:47 AM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by Skipjacks
The Specialized ones look really nice. And they are easy bolt on.

The Planet Bike Full Fenders work too, but take a little more strategy to mount.

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-F...SIN=B00TQ43EXG

They don't fit as perfectly as the Specialized ones (In my opinion) but they are half the price. Note, the description says that 35mm tires are the most they will hole (or 36...I can't remember) but I assure you they hold the Trigger Sport tires on the Crosstrail, with clearance space.

Hmmm, that background looks familiar! Were you on a trail north of Baltimore?
Old 07-05-18, 08:14 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
Hmmm, that background looks familiar! Were you on a trail north of Baltimore?
Yup. That waterfall about 11 miles north of the start (roughly) is one of the more picturesque spots on the NCR

Incidentally, it had been raining the few days prior to this ride. The crush stone on the trail was still damp in most places that were under tree cover and hadn't dried out in the sun. There were mud puddles in spots.

EVERYONE I passed (without fenders) had the dirty white stripe up their back. I did 40 miles that day and had a clean t shirt and pants. The Planet Bike fenders work like a charm.
Old 07-05-18, 08:18 AM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Yup. That waterfall about 11 miles north of the start (roughly) is one of the more picturesque spots on the NCR

Incidentally, it had been raining the few days prior to this ride. The crush stone on the trail was still damp in most places that were under tree cover and hadn't dried out in the sun. There were mud puddles in spots.

EVERYONE I passed (without fenders) had the dirty white stripe up their back. I did 40 miles that day and had a clean t shirt and pants. The Planet Bike fenders work like a charm.
Yea that is a very nice spot! Looking forward to riding that trail in the next few weeks. Will also admit, I am getting a bit tired of being one of those with mud up his back as well. When I have the budget maybe considering some fenders.