Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Time for a new bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Time for a new bike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-11, 11:53 PM
McStuff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time for a new bike?

For some background information, I currently ride a Trek Elance 400T and a 2006 Giant Bowery. I've had plenty of fun with the whole SS/FG thing and it's given me an appreciation for multigeared bikes. Likewise, I've enjoyed the Trek for what's it's worth. But what I'd like is a modern roadbike. I just got a new job (part time at Vons, so nothing much, but still better than where I was), so my budget should be increasing in the near future. I want to sell my bikes in favor of a new roadbike, but I'm not sure what bikes I should be looking at. I don't want to spend more than 500ish+what I could get from my current bikes.

My rides lately have been about 20-25 miles, and I'd like to build on that. I usually ride in areas with a fair amount of traffic at times and the roads aren't always the smoothest. What would you guys recommend?
Old 04-16-11, 01:14 AM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
the first on here is for road bikes under $700, the second one is under $1000. these are old so start at the end and work backwards checking the dates as you do. if nothing else it will give you a good base to start from when you cruise ebay or craigslist.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=700+road+bike

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=700+road+bike
Old 04-16-11, 01:41 AM
McStuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems like Fuji keeps coming up in the first thread, and performance has the 2010 Fuji Roubaix 3.0 for 650. I'm guessing that would make a nice starter bike? Another one performance has is the GT GTR Series 4 for 500. How would these compare?
Old 04-16-11, 08:24 AM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I used to have a GT mtb and it was pretty nice, but I cant compare that full suspension rig to either of those. I havent ridden fuji or gt road bikes. fwiw I like the GTR but the sora shifters are a major detractor according to most people here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
10071-1.jpg (44.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 04-16-11, 01:55 PM
Addison

Bikes: Madone 4.6,Salsa Casserole

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not really on topic but I was wondering what you paid for your Elance 400T. I bought one in 1986 for around $600. I had it untill 2 years ago and really liked it, just that my ageing back and neck needed something with shorter top tube. I kind of wish I kept it instead of ditching it for $200. Its odd that you're looking for something cheaper than the original cost of the bike, inflation aside. Does it have the oval crank? I liked that. Just seems to me as though you might be better served by tuning up that 400T and waiting untill you can afford a bit more. $500 doesn't buy a lot of bike in comparison. Just curious.

good luck either way.
Old 04-16-11, 02:24 PM
RoboCheme

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2011 Scott CR1 Elite, 2014 Volagi Liscio

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most folks will probably recommend that you find a used bike on Craig's List. But if you want to buy new, than Performance Bike always has good sales and you get 10% back in credit if you join their club.
Old 04-16-11, 03:01 PM
dmcdam

Bikes: Opus Vivace F1

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"Always" is the only right answer to OP's question. "Which one?" is like debating evolution vs creation - but with way more viewpoints and conflict.
Old 04-16-11, 03:41 PM
McStuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Addison: I got it from a friend's dad for either 200 or 250, can't remember. Came with clipless pedals as well. Not sure if it has the oval crank though. I mean, I've liked it so far, but I feel like I'm just better off with a newer bike. I mean, it's got downtube shifters and a freewheel instead of brifters and a cassette. I was hoping to get 300, maybe 4 from both bikes, so it'd put my total budget around 8-900.

RoboCheme: True, but I think I'd like to go new this time around. I've got a performance quite close, so maybe it's time to start scouting out

Dmc: Haha, "always" isn't always the right answer when you only make minimum wage As to the second part, I was hoping there was some sort of agreement on a nicer beginner bike, but I suppose not.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 04-16-11, 11:36 PM
McStuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, after a bit of browsing, I think I might go used. There are some nice deals on CL right now like a 2009 Trek 1.5 going for 600.
Old 04-17-11, 02:32 PM
McStuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update: I went into Performance today and talked a bit with an employee. They seem to have a lot of last year's Fujis on clearance. I ended up taking a Fuji Roubaix ACR 2.0 for a test ride, and I loved it! Completely different from what I'm used to. It's on clearance for $900 and the employee said that it's most likely 20% back, which would mean 180 bucks for gear. I was concerned at first when the first bike he grabbed for me to check out was a GT GTR Series 1 going for 1400 (yikes!), but it seems like a lot of nice Fujis are more in my budget. So what do you guys thinkg of the Roubaix ACR 2.0?
Old 04-17-11, 02:52 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Congrats on the new bike!

And to answer the original question:
"It's ALWAYS time for a new bike!"
At least for me!
Old 04-17-11, 03:35 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
At that budget, I'd stick with the Trek.
Old 04-17-11, 03:51 PM
McStuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2ndgen: You're mistaken, I merely took it for a test ride today. Don't quite have the money right now

halfspeed: Would the Fuji not be a worthy upgrade? Sure seemed like a nice bike to me.
Old 04-17-11, 04:38 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by McStuff
2ndgen: You're mistaken, I merely took it for a test ride today. Don't quite have the money right now

halfspeed: Would the Fuji not be a worthy upgrade? Sure seemed like a nice bike to me.
Actually, that's great news!

That means there's time for you to save up for and test ride a CAAD10!

Old 04-17-11, 06:18 PM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

It's a nice bike, but so is the Trek. The Fuji is probably a bit stiffer but you likely won't save much weight and you may find it beats you up a bit more on long rides. If the Trek's in good condition and it were my decision, I'd keep the Trek and save until I could afford a bigger upgrade.
Old 04-18-11, 08:32 AM
McStuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2ndGen: Oh boy, an MSRP of 1500 for the 105 CAAD10. How much do they usually retail for? And how would it compare to the Roubaix ACR 2.0?

halfspeed: What would you consider a bigger upgrade? I guess one thing that would keep me from upgrading in general is the fact that I'll be going to UCLA next year. I don't want something that costs 1k+ locked up out in the open.
Old 04-18-11, 08:40 AM
j-law

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had good experiences with my Fuji Newest 1.0.

Not a super fast bike, but fun for centuries. I did upgrade the wheels to a hand built set.
Old 04-18-11, 03:06 PM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
2ndGen: Oh boy, an MSRP of 1500 for the 105 CAAD10. How much do they usually retail for? And how would it compare to the Roubaix ACR 2.0?

halfspeed: What would you consider a bigger upgrade? I guess one thing that would keep me from upgrading in general is the fact that I'll be going to UCLA next year. I don't want something that costs 1k+ locked up out in the open.
If you're going to lock it up outside on a college campus, the only thing I'd suggest you buy is four different awful colors of rattle can paint for fuglification purposes. College campuses are notorious places for rampant bike theft.
Old 04-18-11, 04:07 PM
Addison

Bikes: Madone 4.6,Salsa Casserole

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 400t that I had came with a triple ( thats what the t stands for), i think it was 32,42,52 and with a 10 apeed cassette. Sounds like yours is now a single speed? Do you have an lbs that could put it back to where it was for a few hundred, or better yet do it yourself? Again, thats a nice bike, but i understand the need for a new one.

best of luck
Old 04-18-11, 04:12 PM
ilovecycling

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, I wouldn't keep it outside on a college campus. You are just asking for it if you do this. I can't tell you how many bikes were stolen or had parts stripped off during the four years I spent at Purdue University. Like halfspeed mentioned already, college campuses are hot spots for bike thieves.
Old 04-18-11, 04:48 PM
McStuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What would you guys recommend for bike storage? I would rather not make it hideous considering I love the look.

Addison: No, it's not a single speed. It's mostly stock, except for the Shimano SPD pedals and a new freewheel. I still have the stock freewheel, and I'll probably swap it back because I haven't been able to nail the shifting perfectly with the new freewheel. My 2006 Giant Bowery is my single speed bike. I bought it for 250 and it's in pretty good condition, so what do you think I could get out of it?
Old 04-20-11, 06:34 PM
McStuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got 300 for the bowery, so I'm rather pleased. The trek is up on craig's list right now, so I suppose this is actually happening

EDIT: Turns out the Roubaix ACR 2.0 was 999, not 899 At least it's 20% back for accessories at performance. And unless I step up to ultegra, I don't see how much more of an upgrade I could get.

Last edited by McStuff; 04-20-11 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-23-11, 08:19 PM
McStuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would a bike from BD be a good idea? Seems like I can get nicer components for the same price as what I'd pay through a LBS.
Old 04-24-11, 08:08 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts

Definitely UCLA is the place to have two bikes: the beater bike for going from dorms or apartment to campus and then the real bike for rides with their bike club or tri club. My daughter got her bike stolen there.
Old 04-24-11, 03:47 PM
McStuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Definitely UCLA is the place to have two bikes: the beater bike for going from dorms or apartment to campus and then the real bike for rides with their bike club or tri club. My daughter got her bike stolen there.
Where do you keep the nice bike?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.