Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Disc Rotor Sometimes Centered, Sometimes Not

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-24-20, 06:48 PM
RowdyTI

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Do you know why sometimes when I do up my rear thru axle the disc sometimes is perfectly centered and sometimes is more to one side? I can't seem to figure out what I need to do to get it centered again. I only touched the thru axle bolts.
Old 07-24-20, 06:52 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I thought through-axles would help eliminate this kind of thing. I have conventional quick-releases, and this is a frequent occurrence. There seems to be quite a bit of potential slop when using drop-outs. The only suggestion I have is to use a torque-wrench and make sure you get the same (preferably recommended) torque setting each time you put the wheel on.

If it really bugs you, push the pistons all the way back into the calipers before mounting a wheel, and let them reset to the rotor after a few squeezes. If you make sure the slot of the caliper itself is centered on the rotor, I find it makes it more reproducible.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 07-24-20, 11:57 PM
RowdyTI

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yes, after some trial and error I found that most times it's perfect, sometimes not. I'm not sure what exactly happens in the case where it's sometimes out of whack and what is causing that. I'm now using a hex key like this: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1000_.jpg

I go as tight as it will go without getting aggressive. This is getting me a good result. I have a maxle thru axle with a low max torque specification, so basically if I can't undo it with a mini tool then it's over-torqued.
Old 07-25-20, 07:48 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Why do you need a hex wrench to tighten a Maxle thru axle? I'm not seeing it in my mind.
Old 07-25-20, 08:21 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by trailangel
Why do you need a hex wrench to tighten a Maxle thru axle? I'm not seeing it in my mind.

Your mind's eye needs glasses.
Old 07-25-20, 08:24 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by RowdyTI
Yes, after some trial and error I found that most times it's perfect, sometimes not. I'm not sure what exactly happens in the case where it's sometimes out of whack and what is causing that. I'm now using a hex key like this: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1000_.jpg

I go as tight as it will go without getting aggressive. This is getting me a good result. I have a maxle thru axle with a low max torque specification, so basically if I can't undo it with a mini tool then it's over-torqued.
If yours is the axle pictured, I would use a torque wrench and tighten it to 13.5 Nxm every time (which is a fairly substantial torque, probably more than I could deliver reproducibly with a multi-tool, or possibly even those hex-keys -- I have the same ones).
Old 07-25-20, 09:29 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
My bet is that you're flipping your bicycle upside down to install your front wheel. When you do that, sometimes you don't get the axle bottomed on both sides.
Old 07-25-20, 09:44 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
My bet is that you're flipping your bicycle upside down to install your front wheel. When you do that, sometimes you don't get the axle bottomed on both sides.
It's a through-axle.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 07-25-20, 09:50 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
It's a through-axle.
So you're ASSUMING that it's seated and I'm GUESSING that it's not. Neither one of us can see what's really going on. The bottom line is that the OP isn't satisfied with how it's working right now.
Old 07-25-20, 10:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Getting the disc centered on what? The pads? How much off?

Don't the pads float and center themselves to where the disc is once you actuate the levers a few times?
Old 07-25-20, 02:03 PM
RowdyTI

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
It's the rear wheel. Why would the bike being upside down make it more difficult to install the wheel correctly?
Likes For RowdyTI:
Old 07-25-20, 02:08 PM
trailangel

There is slop in the fitment of the thru axle thru the hub. That's why.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 07-25-20, 02:09 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

It's the rear wheel. Why would the bike being upside down make it more difficult to install the wheel correctly?
Some people are horrified if you turn a bike upside down. Don't know why. There were a few early hydraulic brake systems that it maybe played heck with air bubbles getting in the lines, but only one or two early ones.

Otherwise, I think it was some people trying to sell bike stands that started the rumor.<grin>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-25-20, 02:17 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by Iride01
Some people are horrified if you turn a bike upside down. Don't know why. There were a few early hydraulic brake systems that it maybe played heck with air bubbles getting in the lines, but only one or two early ones.

Otherwise, I think it was some people trying to sell bike stands that started the rumor.<grin>
If it is a (non-thru-axle) drop-out, Retro Grouch would be right, in my experience. The only way to reproducibly get a conventional quick-release absolutely positioned reproducibly every time is to weight the bike on the wheel. (The same issue can happen if you do it on a stand -- it isn't the upside-won part per se). With thru-axles, the round hole is symmetric, so it shouldn't matter at all. The only variable (unless you cross-thread it) is the torque.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 07-25-20, 02:33 PM
RowdyTI

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Taking it in to a shop to see what they say. To the one who said the brake pads would adjust anyway, but then the gearing will be slightly out of whack if the wheel is mounted slightly different, and anyway I don't want to ride the bike if the wheel isn't perfectly mounted.
Old 07-25-20, 03:20 PM
RowdyTI

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If yours is the axle pictured, I would use a torque wrench and tighten it to 13.5 Nxm every time (which is a fairly substantial torque, probably more than I could deliver reproducibly with a multi-tool, or possibly even those hex-keys -- I have the same ones).
No my max nm is only 11, and that's probably with dry threads. That means about 7 nm with lubricated threads should be ideal.
Old 07-25-20, 09:07 PM
RowdyTI

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
So how come just undoing the thru axle and re-tightening it to proper torque, I'm getting rub sometimes?
Old 07-25-20, 09:31 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

I think the problem might be your pads, not the wheel, assuming you are replacing the wheel and torqueing the thru axle the same each time. If the caliper isn't centered about the disc, then the pads will retract asymmetrically, and less reproducibly.

To fix this, take the wheel off, pull out the brake pads, push the pistons all the way back into the caliper, put the wheel back on, tighten to exactly 11 Nxm with a torque wrench, then center the slot of the caliper, front and back, over the disc. Only then replace the pads, then pump the brakes to reset them.

When you next take the wheel off, just put it back in and torque it to 11. I think you will find the pads don't rub.
Old 07-25-20, 09:33 PM
RowdyTI

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
There is slop in the fitment of the thru axle thru the hub. That's why.
So what do you suggest?
Old 07-25-20, 09:34 PM
RowdyTI

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I think the problem might be your pads, not the wheel, assuming you are replacing the wheel and torqueing the thru axle the same each time. If the caliper isn't centered about the disc, then the pads will retract asymmetrically, and less reproducibly.

Take the wheel off, pull out the brake pads, push the pistons all the way back into the caliper, put the wheel back on, tighten to exactly 11 Nxm with a torque wrench, then center the slot of the caliper, front and back, over the disc. Only then replace the pads, then pump the brakes to reset them.

When you next take the wheel off, just put it back in and torque it to 11. I think you will find the pads don't rub.
OK. Another question: am I going to have to have the shifting cables and deraileur adjusted after doing that? It seems there's going to be different alignment. What symptoms will I notice if I need to have those adjusted? Noisy chain, or just poor shifting?

And you don't think the axle should be torqued less if the threads are well-lubricated?

Guys working on their cars had tissue with over torque after using anti-seize. The anti-seize they were using gave them 40% more torque at the same torque value.

Last edited by RowdyTI; 07-25-20 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-26-20, 05:48 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3635 Post(s)
Liked 5,311 Times in 2,699 Posts
Taking it in to a shop to see what they say.
This is the best plan. You seem to have had a multitude of issues with this part of your bike. Let the shop check it out. If all is well, ask them to demonstrate wheel removal/replacement and follow their lead in the future.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-26-20, 09:28 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Guys working on their cars had tissue with over torque after using anti-seize. The anti-seize they were using gave them 40% more torque at the same torque value.
Sometimes the manufacturer in their installation instructions or other maintenance doc's will state whether to grease, not grease or even use anti-sieze (which is another form of grease for non-moving parts)
Old 07-26-20, 09:40 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Wipe off the excess grease and torque it to the torque spec. if a greased thread were likely an issue, how probable is it that you are the first person to discover this potential problem, and that your irreproducibility has nothing to do with your decision to deliberately under-torque the thru-axle. You don't tighten it to spec, and the wheel positioning is problematic. The paralysis is striking.

But I agree, maybe you should take it to a bike shop.
Old 08-06-20, 01:18 AM
RowdyTI

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
What I found is that the disc is too far to one side of the frame when I don't push on the part of the frame at the drive train side. Every time I do up the thru axle without pushing the frame in on that side, it's not centered. It's centered every time, however, when I make sure to push on that part of the frame when I am doing it up. Since the bike was initially set up by a good shop, I'm guessing I should do up the thru axle that way versus adjusting the brake calipers to be centered when doing it up without pushing in that part of the frame.

Have you heard of anything like this?

I've also read:
I always put the wheel on the ground and compress the fork straight down loading the axle as I finish tightening it. This insures that the normal direction of force has already been applied and the wheel is completely seated. I've had the best luck with this method getting the wheel back exactly into its normal location.
If I do that without pushing in the part of the frame at my drive side, I'll not get a centered disc, same as if I do it up like that with the bike upside down. In my case the key point is pushing in the frame at the drive side.

Just wondering if this is normal or if I should adjust the disc rotor to be centered without this manoeuvre. Could this be the reason why I get some disc rub when I am cornering when going down hills?

Last edited by RowdyTI; 08-06-20 at 01:32 AM.
Old 08-06-20, 03:45 AM
trailangel

I actually have no idea WTF you are talking about.
Likes For trailangel:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.