Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Battaglin Los Angeles 1984..what is it?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Battaglin Los Angeles 1984..what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-20, 01:52 PM
dunrobin

Bikes: colnago titanio oval master, pinarello treviso es, centurion prestige, tomac ti 26er, lemond buenos aires, mbk 753, vitus 992 and zx1, rocky mountain hammer disc,bd century titanium, specialized venge expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Despite the apparent anomalies this could have been a rush build of some sort or the like.

The aero fork, if that's what it is may have been the crash replacement but doesn't make sense to me.

The BB could have been a leftover that finally got used but again doesn't make sense to me.

I looked at several of the commemorative ones on the web and few of them are the same, even seems like they could have been customer specced.

This one seems kind of specific to me with the BB, minimalist cable holes and aero fork.

Again, if the S/N is there, reaching out to Battaglin is likely to shed some light.
The only number I could find, which was on the bottom bracket, was the number 60
Old 08-27-20, 02:24 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,389 Times in 3,674 Posts
Huh, well 60 should be the size but I don't think this is that, maybe a shell from the 60 size run.

I would still fire off some pics of the thing to them, you never know what backstory is lurking.
Likes For merziac:
Old 08-27-20, 03:54 PM
dunrobin

Bikes: colnago titanio oval master, pinarello treviso es, centurion prestige, tomac ti 26er, lemond buenos aires, mbk 753, vitus 992 and zx1, rocky mountain hammer disc,bd century titanium, specialized venge expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
I'm resonably sure the frame started out as a giro.. Had some damage done to it, and was 'fixed' by some hack at High park cycles in Toronto with whatever steel tubes they had lurking in their crap corner. There's some nice touches and then there's the crap repairs. Regardless, Im going to build it up and give it a whirl. At 1880 grams for a 52 x 54 it's Columbus sl light. The fork aero pinching does concern me a bit but it's symmetrical and even on both blades so maybe someone new what they were doing... If not I have a replacement.
Old 12-06-20, 11:22 PM
ChrisAZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How can I get the history on this bike?

I’m new to the forums so it won’t let me post photos... but I have an all-original (minus the tires) Battaglin 1984 Los Angeles Olympics Special Edition. I got it over 30 years ago. I was told it was a bike that was ridden in the Olympics in 1984, but I obviously have no way tofu verifying this. Any thoughts on how I can learn more about the history of this bike?
Likes For ChrisAZ:
Old 12-07-20, 06:02 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisAZ
I’m new to the forums so it won’t let me post photos... but I have an all-original (minus the tires) Battaglin 1984 Los Angeles Olympics Special Edition. I got it over 30 years ago. I was told it was a bike that was ridden in the Olympics in 1984, but I obviously have no way tofu verifying this. Any thoughts on how I can learn more about the history of this bike?
Welcome to the forum. here is a link to yout photos, so that other memebrs can see your bicycle: https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/530800

This bicycle differs significantly from the other LA 84 model posted. Yours has standard, side mount shift lever bosses and top tube cable tunnels, as opposed to top mount, aero, shift lever bosses and internal rear brake cable routing. Yours also has a number peg. These differences suggest at least two different models, which increases the possibility of a commemorative model, as opposed to one actually ridden in the Olympic games. Finally, your bicycle has the full, mid-range, Shimano New 600EX component group. While it is era correct, it is doubtful that an Olympic calibre cyclist would have competed on this group, as it was 3rd in Shimano's hierarchy during 1984. More likely, the previous owner purchased this as a frameset and it was built up with this group as a cost concession to meet a target budget.