Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I need help - racing bike

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I need help - racing bike

Old 09-25-19, 07:03 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
Trying to upload some motivational photos for ya, but keep getting an alert.

I encourage you to see the Ironman build through. I built one last year as a gift to myself.

Started with a bare frame, but did not do a repaint. Classic frameset, modern 9 speed group.

The bike.
Is.
Awesome.

I've got four kids. You can do it. There is help here.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 09-25-19, 07:20 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Ironman, make it work it is exactly what you say you are looking for and to get it rideable it doesn't need a repaint or even a complete tear down. I wouldn't normally suggest it here as we are mostly a DIY group but if needs must go to your LBS for a tune up.

What I find is that on those procrastination projects, and I have had a few, if I block out time and get started they create there own momentum and if you take the make it rideable option and skip the full high zoot tear down repaint riding it will make you want to spend the time on it.

Finally its the devil you know versus what you don't I can almost guarantee any used 80s race bike you might find is going to need something. IRONMAN lol and I am not even part of the tribe....yet

Last edited by ryansu; 09-25-19 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-25-19, 07:26 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Trying to upload some motivational photos for ya, but keep getting an alert.

I encourage you to see the Ironman build through. I built one last year as a gift to myself.

Started with a bare frame, but did not do a repaint. Classic frameset, modern 9 speed group.

The bike.
Is.
Awesome.

I've got four kids. You can do it. There is help here.
I just posted a couple photos in the Centurion thread, looking for help with the chain, tires, and cassette.

I can feel how different my bikes are based on the way it rolls, even with flat tires on the Centurion. Putting it into my bike carrier is a breeze.
Likes For TriBiker19:
Old 09-26-19, 06:47 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Originally Posted by ryansu
Ironman, make it work it is exactly what you say you are looking for and to get it rideable it doesn't need a repaint or even a complete tear down. I wouldn't normally suggest it here as we are mostly a DIY group but if needs must go to your LBS for a tune up.

What I find is that on those procrastination projects, and I have had a few, if I block out time and get started they create there own momentum and if you take the make it rideable option and skip the full high zoot tear down repaint riding it will make you want to spend the time on it.

Finally its the devil you know versus what you don't I can almost guarantee any used 80s race bike you might find is going to need something. IRONMAN lol and I am not even part of the tribe....yet
Based on where I got it (coastal Massachusetts) and the condition, it looks like this bike has spent a good part of it's existence being ridden in triathlons. With ocean swims. So the salt water has dripped on it quite a bit. It needs to be repainted just because of the salt water corrosion. It's still solid, but the surface rust is taking over. I don't trust my LBS to fix it after seeing the half-a$$ job they did with my Shogun. They mentioned nothing about needing new tires on the bike and I didn't notice (and rode it in two triathlons) before I washed the tires and realized the sidewalls were coming off in chunks. The tires themselves fell to dust when I removed them. Heck, they didn't even clean the chain and cassette. I need to find a new LBS.

I needed a bike to ride for training while waiting on new tires for the Shogun, stole my husband's mountain bike and blew not one, but two tires on it within 15 miles. (Oops.) So I'm banned from using that, too. My kid is disappointed that mom won't be riding trails with him.

I just think the Ironman was a bit more of a project than I (and my husband) expected.
Old 09-26-19, 10:20 AM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19
Based on where I got it (coastal Massachusetts) and the condition, it looks like this bike has spent a good part of it's existence being ridden in triathlons. With ocean swims. So the salt water has dripped on it quite a bit. It needs to be repainted just because of the salt water corrosion. It's still solid, but the surface rust is taking over. I don't trust my LBS to fix it after seeing the half-a$$ job they did with my Shogun. They mentioned nothing about needing new tires on the bike and I didn't notice (and rode it in two triathlons) before I washed the tires and realized the sidewalls were coming off in chunks. The tires themselves fell to dust when I removed them. Heck, they didn't even clean the chain and cassette. I need to find a new LBS.

I needed a bike to ride for training while waiting on new tires for the Shogun, stole my husband's mountain bike and blew not one, but two tires on it within 15 miles. (Oops.) So I'm banned from using that, too. My kid is disappointed that mom won't be riding trails with him.

I just think the Ironman was a bit more of a project than I (and my husband) expected.
That does sound like a bit more than just faded paint and yes you do need a new LBS by the sound if it. As others have said there are lots of options out there in addition to the Ironman you have Cannondale crit bikes, Raleigh made a Scott Tinley Trilite, Peugeot made a tri bike in the late 80s and of course the Ironmans, good luck in your search and post some pics of your current bike, we love pictures. I did see a few chain shots on the sticky thread but post some full profile drive side shots to this thread its where all the Ironman cultists hang out

Oh and in my experience you have to grab those chances to ride with the kids while they're interested in riding with you, fix those flats steal hubbys bike and shred with your kid

A Tri lite I saw at a garage sale in May

Last edited by ryansu; 09-26-19 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-26-19, 11:54 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
Well, I offered. As did Bill.
Old 09-26-19, 01:29 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Originally Posted by rccardr
Well, I offered. As did Bill.
I do appreciate it! I'm looking into signing up for a 16 hour class in complete tear down and rebuilding at a shop about an hour away. I think that's one of the things that I need badly. To figure out how to do maintenance on it, take it apart with confidence that I can put it back together. At bare minimum, I'll be able to fix my kids' bikes when they break them.

Someone else in this thread mentioned another Ironman listed only a couple of hours away from me. Last night I emailed and asked for pictures. I haven't heard back.

If I come across any of the bikes listed on the website linked above, I'll jump on them, even if it's not in the best condition--who needs to park in the garage, anyway?

I agree that I just need to put time into priorities and the bike needs to be a priority for the race. I am not schlepping my current rider up 3200' of elevation over 56 miles.

Thanks for the suggestions!

-Carrie
Likes For TriBiker19:
Old 09-26-19, 01:48 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,741 Times in 1,499 Posts
what is budget?

thoughts

post a WTB in the C&V sales section for your size bike for racing be open to type

scan craigslist like a hawk be open to road trip

from boston craigs list not all are steel but example

52 cm from boston
https://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/bi...969109202.html

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bi...984338659.html

https://providence.craigslist.org/bi...982407000.html

54 cm

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bi...985121755.html

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bi...972960254.html

https://newlondon.craigslist.org/bik...980622407.html

have frame powder coated not painted

consider (budget based) getting a new groupset.....and wheels save time in cleaning deals are there but going fast from uk bike shops like this tiagra 10 for 329 https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shima...uble-groupset/

or take the redo the bike a part at a time approach put the bike on the bike stand. Take 10 to 15 minutes to take off what you can. then clean and lube for 5 to 15 minutrs a day or one part or 1/2 of one part...done befoure tax season

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 09-26-19, 02:54 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Update:
Ironman Empire is on it. I'll be reaching out to them.
Not a lot is needed. It will be fast, will climb, and it be an Ironman.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-26-19, 03:06 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Update:
Ironman Empire is on it. I'll be reaching out to them.
Not a lot is needed. It will be fast, will climb, and it be an Ironman.
@RobbieTunes put his Ironman cape on

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 09-27-19, 01:58 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
I do appreciate it! I'm looking into signing up for a 16 hour class in complete tear down and rebuilding at a shop about an hour away. I think that's one of the things that I need badly. To figure out how to do maintenance on it, take it apart with confidence that I can put it back together. At bare minimum, I'll be able to fix my kids' bikes when they break them.

Someone else in this thread mentioned another Ironman listed only a couple of hours away from me. Last night I emailed and asked for pictures. I haven't heard back.

If I come across any of the bikes listed on the website linked above, I'll jump on them, even if it's not in the best condition--who needs to park in the garage, anyway?

I agree that I just need to put time into priorities and the bike needs to be a priority for the race. I am not schlepping my current rider up 3200' of elevation over 56 miles.

Thanks for the suggestions!

-Carrie
Good on you!
Old 09-27-19, 03:00 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
@RobbieTunes put his Ironman cape on
Wait, didn't he step into his Ironman armor?

Last edited by mech986; 09-27-19 at 03:05 AM.
Old 09-27-19, 03:40 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

It, uh, "chafed."
Originally Posted by mech986
Wait, didn't he step into his Ironman armor?

Old 09-27-19, 05:49 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 275 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...onmen-one.html

PM me, we can work something out. Both ready to ride.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 09-27-19, 06:15 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Originally Posted by top506

Mine would in no way qualify as "nice" by any stretch. Those bikes are gorgeous!
Old 09-27-19, 10:26 AM
squirtdad

Mine would in no way qualify as "nice" by any stretch. Those bikes are gorgeous!
Go for it this is for the win !!! just getting one will make you faster. Time is not an issue then, Definitely less hassle. Probably cost effective in the the differential between what $$ you would need to put into your bike and the cost of one of these will be less that you think. And more training time. and you can make your old bike as you have time project

This is what this forum is about helping and enabling n+1 https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...t-so-much.html

Old 09-27-19, 11:15 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 275 Posts
They've been on CL and FB most of the summer and here for a month. I'm willing to break them up.
AND I drive from Maine to Cape Cod at least once a month, usually stopping at the Hampton state liquor store......

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 09-27-19, 11:18 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Originally Posted by squirtdad
Go for it this is for the win !!! just getting one will make you faster. Time is not an issue then, Definitely less hassle. Probably cost effective in the the differential between what $$ you would need to put into your bike and the cost of one of these will be less that you think. And more training time. and you can make your old bike as you have time project

This is what this forum is about helping and enabling n+1 https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...t-so-much.html
There has been a different solution to my problem presented to me. One that has me completely dumbstruck and tremendously grateful to the members of Ironman group. (Mr. Tunes in particular.)

I'll be riding the Shogun for a little while longer, and that's okay. I need to get use out of those new tires I bought for her a month ago.
Likes For TriBiker19:
Old 09-27-19, 11:31 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

They've been on CL and FB most of the summer and here for a month. I'm willing to break them up.
AND I drive from Maine to Cape Cod at least once a month, usually stopping at the Hampton state liquor store......

I broached the topic of my husband getting a road bike to go with mine...(Because I'm set at the moment, thanks to the folks here.) I probably just should have picked one up for his birthday and not given the option for him to refuse. Easier to ask for forgiveness, I guess?
Old 09-27-19, 02:25 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 2,206 Posts

.... i need help with a racing bike........

Old 09-27-19, 02:50 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
You are in for one sweet machine, TriBiker19.

Here's mine:

Best of luck to you.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 09-27-19, 05:54 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 2,206 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood

.... i need help with a racing bike........

Where are The People?

....just kidding, I get so much assistance and motivation from this group it's.....addicting.
Three project bicycles being reworked and soon to be added to the group.

Last edited by Wildwood; 09-27-19 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-27-19, 07:53 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Told husband that I wanted the 16 hour bike rebuild class for Christmas--where you work on your own bike. (Class is in late January.) He says, "the Shogun won't need work. The Centurion will be good to go. You're going to need another bike to rebuild for the class."

OH?
Likes For TriBiker19:
Old 09-27-19, 09:47 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Reaching out to the Empire for a cassette.
Then we're good to go.
Old 09-28-19, 07:00 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Where are The People?

....just kidding, I get so much assistance and motivation from this group it's.....addicting.
Three project bicycles being reworked and soon to be added to the group.
Your reputation precedes you......

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.