Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Wheels Mfg 8 speed Camp SH-8 shift kit question

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Wheels Mfg 8 speed Camp SH-8 shift kit question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-20, 05:55 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 409 Posts
No, but can say I had good shifting with a JTek Shiftmate #1 with Campagnolo 8 shifters and RD and Shimano 8 cassette and then later with Campagnolo 10 shifters and RD and Shimano 10 cassette. Also have a Shiftmate #3 running Campagnolo 10 shifters with Shimano 10 RD and Cassette.

Think these were ~$40.
Old 01-02-20, 04:57 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
No, but can say I had good shifting with a JTek Shiftmate #1 with Campagnolo 8 shifters and RD and Shimano 8 cassette and then later with Campagnolo 10 shifters and RD and Shimano 10 cassette. Also have a Shiftmate #3 running Campagnolo 10 shifters with Shimano 10 RD and Cassette.

Think these were ~$40.
I'm running a J-Tek now on my Colnago, 10-sp Centaur on a 10-sp Shimano cassette, with black FSA wheels, unique in that the rim is wider than the brake track. Go figure. Even the J-Tek (purple) matches the Colnago's purple..... BUT....I was visited in my sleep by the Campy version of the ghost of cycling future, and she told me to go all Campy or she'd turn off my lights. So, I picked up some Scirocco wheels and will swap them in, at Brazen dropouts, between the hordes of C&V enthusiasts with wads of cash.
Old 01-02-20, 04:59 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug

Think these were ~$40.
I'm running a J-Tek now on my Colnago, 10-sp Centaur on a 10-sp Shimano cassette, with black FSA wheels, unique in that the rim is wider than the brake track. Go figure. Even the J-Tek (purple) matches the Colnago's purple..... BUT....I was visited in my sleep by the Campy version of the ghost of cycling future, and she told me to go all Campy or she'd turn off my lights. So, I picked up some Scirocco wheels and will swap them in, at Brazen dropouts, between the hordes of C&V enthusiasts with wads of cash.

I did buy the suggested Wheels Mfg spacers, though. I had them years ago and they worked great. I have one set of 8-sp Campy wheels (Records laced to Torelli rims), but I'd love to drop the decals from some Rolfs, toss on a Shimano 8-sp cassette, and climb like a banshee on a 35-year old Cinelli.
Old 01-02-20, 10:57 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Probably Ernesto's and Tuillio's she devils who I know. My Master is Chorus/Record and we are at pease. Being a multi-generational tinkerer I tear apart anything I can't repair (never Dura-Ace, up to Ultegra, only one Record caliper) and am struck by the Italian engineering, their consideration of fools like me who appreciated the thought given to those who in the future imprudently appreciate returning vintage things to the original functionality and elegance .
Old 06-18-21, 12:55 PM
vespajg

Bikes: 1991 Lemond Team Z, 1993 Harry Havnoonian Professional, 2001 Steelman Eurocross, 2008 Cervelo Team, 2009 Raleigh SSCXWC, 2011 Vanilla, 2012 Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
Took it apart. DA block.
Although the lock ring worked, it was only able to grab about one thread. I didn't feel comfortable with that so bought one that was a little deeper, getting more than three threads of engagement.
Wondering where you got the "deeper" lock ring? About to embark on a DA 8 speed/campy experiment...
Old 06-18-21, 08:23 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
I looked on line in Amazon. There are several choices. I was able to use the stock one with only one revolution but didn't feel comfortable with it and ordered one from Amazon that had more engagement.

Good luck! Mine shifts great!
Old 06-18-21, 09:05 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Wheels MFG also made a shift 8 kit that allowed you to space individual Veloce 9-speed cogs for use with Campagnolo 8-speed. The beauty of that implementation is that you didn’t have to drill rivets out to separate cogs. Works perfectly. Little known is the fact that Campagnolo themselves offered a kit for some time.

I was also able to obtain the shift 8 kit you speak of for Shimano cogs. Funny thing is, I use that as well to space individual Campy 9-speed cogs and again it works perfectly in my Campagnolo 8-speed drivetrain.
Old 06-19-21, 08:07 AM
Dean51 

Bikes: '8? Ciocc Mockba 80, '82 Ron Cooper, '84 Allez, '86 Tommasini Racing, '86? Klein Quantum, '87 Ciocc Designer 84, '95 Trek 5500, '98 Litespeed Classic, '98 S-Works Mtb

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by vespajg
Wondering where you got the "deeper" lock ring? About to embark on a DA 8 speed/campy experiment...
Check out eBay for lock rings made by Takara. The threaded section is deeper than most others and I get a full three threads of engagement. AND, they come in an anodized red color that looks great alongside the red spacers of the Wheels kit. I'm running three bikes with this set up....Shimano HG cogs and Campagnolo 8 speed ergos.....and they work great. Oooops, did I just commit a sin by mentioning Ergo 8's in this forum.....HA!

Dean