Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Weight Weenie Wheelset Strong Enough_

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage Weight Weenie Wheelset Strong Enough_

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-20, 12:30 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Maybe you could consider these as a "front and a spare" and build the rear with something a little beefier?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-18-20, 06:46 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
I say ride them on rides that are not mission-critical. I commuted on an underbuilt wheel. I said I'll ride it until it breaks. And I did. Now I replaced it with something better.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-18-20, 07:19 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
It would be the rims that I'd watch out for mostly.
anything below 300 grams would most likely be not strong enough to "daily ride".
36 spokes, cross 3 lacing should be strong enough.
Old 02-19-20, 09:25 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by NHmtb
Thanks for all the input and advice! I think these rims weigh about 270g (if memory serves). I will build them up and take it from there, but it does sound like they might end up being more of a cause for concern than I would like. The rest of this build is definitely race-weight, so this wheelset fits with the theme. But the wheelset is the only part that actually gives me pause. If after building and riding I'm still worried, I guess I'll have to find some Campy hubs and a stronger tubular rim for a more robust wheelset.
I would say take the rims to a bike shop that has a small food scale, and weigh them. My experience is good durability with rims in the upper 300's, and my bud has had good results in the low 300's. 270 g is very light, possibly a track-only design, but I don't really know what their intended use was. My Masi has 32/32 rims with 1.8 mm straight-gauge spokes (!), and my Mondonico has 32/32 with Sapim CX-rays. The Masi has Wolber Alpines and the Mondonico has Mavic GP4, a 420 or so training rim, meant for daily long training rides on open roads. My GP4 survived a 16 mph head-on collision with a wall of river boulders (as did my helmeted head, but not the frame!!). A bud here in Ann Arbor got a set of Mavic GEL280 (about 310 if I recall Weight Weenie) rims in 32/32, and built them up for road use. I think he used DT 14/16 spokes, his weight around 175 (my height, less fat, much more muscle). Due to good building practices he had no problems with the GEL280s. I can't explain the odd spokes on my Masi - they are most likely original!

With all of these essential to follow excellent practices in lacing, stress-relieving, and tensioning/truing.
Old 02-19-20, 09:28 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Hubs: The most likely hubs are Campagnolo Record with Campy QR skewers. They could have been low flange or high flange. One nice thing is they are cup and ball, so you can always adjust to optimize the play with the QR closed.
Old 02-19-20, 11:36 AM
NHmtb

Bikes: '01 Klein Quantum, '91 GT Zaskar, '70s Di Lorenzo, '74 Gitane Champion du Monde, '50s Steyr Klunker, Cannondale Singlespeed

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Maybe you could consider these as a "front and a spare" and build the rear with something a little beefier?
Makes sense to me. Anyone got a heavier Super Champion 36h tubular rim they'd like to part ways with?

Originally Posted by Road Fan
I would say take the rims to a bike shop that has a small food scale, and weigh them.

I have a food scale - these weigh 280g per rim.
Old 02-19-20, 11:49 AM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
I had similar experience with Arc en Ciels in the same era, similar weight and usage. Another vintage rim that performed literally well above it's weight were the 310 and 280 gram Martanos--they built much better and lasted longer than comparable Super Champions in mine and others' experience at the time. Maybe the best rims of their era--maybe that's why there are NOS Super Champions moldering on hooks but all the Martanos got bought, built, and ridden to death. Great rims!
Old 02-19-20, 12:17 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Makes sense to me. Anyone got a heavier Super Champion 36h tubular rim they'd like to part ways with?

I have a food scale - these weigh 280g per rim.
I have two pairs of Super Champion Competitions that are in very nice shape. One is 32h - 40h, and the other is matching 36h front and rear. Part of my long-term plan is to be rid of both of these. The challenge I have though, is that both of these are laced to hubs that I very much want to keep, and on bikes that deserve nice wheelsets - but with clinchers, rather than tubulars. I do respond to PMs.
Old 02-19-20, 12:27 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
Mavic 280SELs with 32/36 spokes have been great for this 195pound rider.
Rear has needed truing more than a similarly laced Mavic 330.

I would say ride it without worry if you are on decent pavement. I would not ride it on potholed or cracked pavement high-speed descents. i would also run a lightweight 25mm tire @ 100psi, not 20/22/23. Weight weenie at the tire is for lightweight riders, usually easier on most all components.

Being a @NHmtb = no off-roading on this wheelset, no curb jumping, no wheelies, etc. Also, not the best sprinter wheels - if you mash be regular with truing and rim inspection.

What nipples? or did i miss that??

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-19-20 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-20-20, 11:07 AM
NHmtb

Bikes: '01 Klein Quantum, '91 GT Zaskar, '70s Di Lorenzo, '74 Gitane Champion du Monde, '50s Steyr Klunker, Cannondale Singlespeed

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood

Being a @NHmtb = no off-roading on this wheelset, no curb jumping, no wheelies, etc. Also, not the best sprinter wheels - if you mash be regular with truing and rim inspection.
Guess I shouldn't put these on my cross bike?

Originally Posted by Wildwood
What nipples? or did i miss that??
Didn't mention it, but 12mm brass, DT Swiss.
Old 02-20-20, 12:39 PM
Steelzreal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get some alloy rims

I really can not understand how so few people ever give heavy wheels a chance. Or if they did it was on something that was rusty and had additional resistance. A lot of guys seem to fall into the trap that rotational mass is best place to save weight. Consider why that is. It takes extra effort to spin them but also equally extra effort to slow them. The feeling of some nice good condition steel 27 inch wheels is unmatched.

What draws you to a road bike over other bikes. For me it's coasting and gliding that feels like you have almost no rolling resistance. I have had some very light weight good condition vintage wheels that were obviously faster on hills but I did break one and never could ride as confidentially on light rims after that as my heavy rims. And I can say for sure with experiments that you coast much further in total distance on the heavy rims. It's quite a significant difference. About twice as far in my circumstance. Not only that. But it was the lack of feeling I so loved on my heavy rims that gave me the idea to experiment.

I've heard people say some things on here about a bike is always battling road resistance and wind so you are always accelerating if maintaining speed. I agree with that part. They go on to conclude that light weight wheels are then better at holding speed. This is just against all common sense. My experiment which I encourage all to try proves heavy wheels which have more momentum are less affected by wind and resistance of the road. It's hard for people to accept this when they spent so much on wheels. In an all out climb or Sprint of coarse light wins. But at the cost of a lot of money sacrificed safety in many cases and what feels like an increase in rolling resistance when coasting.

I came up with a simple thought experiment to help people understand what I'm talking about when I say" feel "in a way they can know exactly what I mean. Imagine 2 bikes equally weighted one with much heavier wheels put under a predetermined wattage of power for a set time then coast to a stop. Because both weight the same the 2 bikes would stop at the same spot for total distance. Though in the first half of track the lighter wheels bike would pull ahead only to slowly lose its lead till they inevitably tie. Now let's say I am on the light wheel bike and would like to know what the other bike felt like to ride same distance. It would feel as if you were on a very slight incline while under power as compared to before but the second half would feel as if you were on a slight decline. Or first half feels like head wind second half tail wind. This makes coasting on the flat far more enjoyable and longer lasting rest are able to be had while still keeping up with others. All this to say I'm against carrying any dead weight but i consider the stronger wheels not dead weight as it can aid in the enjoyability of a ride and provides me more confidence to maintain speed and put full power to pedals after having destroyed some lightweight wheels. Also I've always been a weight lifter so more of a power athlete than endurance for sure so higher rest time and high power spurts are the way for me.

Maybe an easier way to think of it is the wheels can store some of you power. Some may not find this helpful if braking a lot. While maintaining speed you are indeed accelerating to some extent but you have to consider how much slower your deceleration happens with those spinning weights on your bike. The one hour record for a track bike was set with weighted wheels. Goes to show when brakes are not givin the chance to rob that stored power in the wheels it can even be faster than light wheels in some circumstances. Overall don't go and add dead weight to a bike to coast further but if you do you will indeed coast further especially if weights near the rim.

Not really looking to start argument just wanted to give my opinion and my experience as I have gone both routes and I think steel alloy is a good medium for me. Now consider tho that adding a few pounds to your bike will increase total energy needed to get that bike any given distance. I just prefer to cut that weight elsewhere for ride quality , money saving and safety reasons
Old 02-20-20, 12:42 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Steelzreal
<snip>
Welcome to the forums, but the OP isn't contemplating steel rims. They're just polished aluminum.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-20-20, 01:12 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 520 Times in 281 Posts
Guess I shouldn't put these on my cross bike?
Funny - I bought at a swap meet a pair of wheels with 36h (w/tied/soldered spokes) Mavic Record du Monde de l'Heure rims, that has some fat, dirty CX tires glued to them. They were straight and true, and had no spoke-hole pulling at all. They are currently serving well on my '73 Colnago Super road bike. (And I'm 190 lbs dry.)
Old 02-20-20, 01:35 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Weyless hubs were widely regarded as light but not very reliable BITD. Medaille d'Or rims were of soft aluminum. No, you will not crack them but you will dent or bend them very easily. My second year of racing I ran one in front (a far stronger Fiamme Ergal in back). Rode a criterium that opened a 3 event, 2-day stage race. I was a poor crit rider so I knew it wold take everything I had to get the magic "st" posted beside my name. (Same time.) There was a pair of concrete slabs that mismatched by an inch on the inside of one corner. By riding over it I cold move up a bunch of places every lap. Got my "st" Before the time trial that afternoon, I had to sit down and true that wheel, It was near hitting the brake blocks both sides. Basket case. Rear wheel was fine. Later that summer, I bottomed out on railroad tracks and put a "V" in the rim, looking from the side. The bends of the "v" being at three spoke holes. Pulled it back to round withe a rim puller and rode the rest of the season on it.

Now I was riding that rim on less than perfect New England roads in the '70s as a racer in races. But I was also a 145 pound rider who was light on wheels. I did lace the wheel with 15-17 ga spokes (now 1.8-1.6) and recommend staying that light to be as easy as possible on the rims.

Weyless hubs, Medaille d'Or rims at your weight? Coffee shop rides and time trials only.

Ben
Old 02-25-20, 09:33 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
The short answer is: NO! They are not strong enough.

These would have been special race day wheels only BITD, and that's for a racer with a weight more like 140-150. Special race like a TT or district championships. Absolutely not meant for everyday riding, or even every weekend racing. Medaille d'Or riims and for that matter Weyless hubs were a running joke for years.

Should you build them? Sure. It's a vintage authentic weight weenie combo. Should you actually ride it? NO. Maybe once in a while take it out for Sunday show off short ride. That's it.
+1

I built the same rims to Hi-E hubs, and have ridden the bike (Teledyne Titan) once. It was great.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 02-25-20 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-26-20, 10:26 PM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by Steelzreal
I really can not understand how so few people ever give heavy wheels a chance. Or if they did it was on something that was rusty and had additional resistance. A lot of guys seem to fall into the trap that rotational mass is best place to save weight. Consider why that is. It takes extra effort to spin them but also equally extra effort to slow them. The feeling of some nice good condition steel 27 inch wheels is unmatched.

What draws you to a road bike over other bikes. For me it's coasting and gliding that feels like you have almost no rolling resistance. I have had some very light weight good condition vintage wheels that were obviously faster on hills but I did break one and never could ride as confidentially on light rims after that as my heavy rims. And I can say for sure with experiments that you coast much further in total distance on the heavy rims. It's quite a significant difference. About twice as far in my circumstance. Not only that. But it was the lack of feeling I so loved on my heavy rims that gave me the idea to experiment.

I've heard people say some things on here about a bike is always battling road resistance and wind so you are always accelerating if maintaining speed. I agree with that part. They go on to conclude that light weight wheels are then better at holding speed. This is just against all common sense. My experiment which I encourage all to try proves heavy wheels which have more momentum are less affected by wind and resistance of the road. It's hard for people to accept this when they spent so much on wheels. In an all out climb or Sprint of coarse light wins. But at the cost of a lot of money sacrificed safety in many cases and what feels like an increase in rolling resistance when coasting.

I came up with a simple thought experiment to help people understand what I'm talking about when I say" feel "in a way they can know exactly what I mean. Imagine 2 bikes equally weighted one with much heavier wheels put under a predetermined wattage of power for a set time then coast to a stop. Because both weight the same the 2 bikes would stop at the same spot for total distance. Though in the first half of track the lighter wheels bike would pull ahead only to slowly lose its lead till they inevitably tie. Now let's say I am on the light wheel bike and would like to know what the other bike felt like to ride same distance. It would feel as if you were on a very slight incline while under power as compared to before but the second half would feel as if you were on a slight decline. Or first half feels like head wind second half tail wind. This makes coasting on the flat far more enjoyable and longer lasting rest are able to be had while still keeping up with others. All this to say I'm against carrying any dead weight but i consider the stronger wheels not dead weight as it can aid in the enjoyability of a ride and provides me more confidence to maintain speed and put full power to pedals after having destroyed some lightweight wheels. Also I've always been a weight lifter so more of a power athlete than endurance for sure so higher rest time and high power spurts are the way for me.

Maybe an easier way to think of it is the wheels can store some of you power. Some may not find this helpful if braking a lot. While maintaining speed you are indeed accelerating to some extent but you have to consider how much slower your deceleration happens with those spinning weights on your bike. The one hour record for a track bike was set with weighted wheels. Goes to show when brakes are not givin the chance to rob that stored power in the wheels it can even be faster than light wheels in some circumstances. Overall don't go and add dead weight to a bike to coast further but if you do you will indeed coast further especially if weights near the rim.

Not really looking to start argument just wanted to give my opinion and my experience as I have gone both routes and I think steel alloy is a good medium for me. Now consider tho that adding a few pounds to your bike will increase total energy needed to get that bike any given distance. I just prefer to cut that weight elsewhere for ride quality , money saving and safety reasons
One of the words you're looking for (re "storing your power") is inertia.