Notices
Southern California Southern California

Solvang Century 2020

Old 02-09-20, 10:32 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 318 Posts
Solvang Century 2020

Anybody heading up to the Solvang Century next month? Looking for some fellow B-F people to meet up with for the 100 miler.
Old 02-11-20, 08:31 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 100 Posts
My wife & I will be there but not for 100 miler either hilly 55 or 70 we haven't decided yet.
West
Old 02-19-20, 03:16 PM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
I think I saw they added a clothing/gear drop service or something like that? I heard the ride is very cold at the start then can get warm so you need to shed layers. This would be great instead of having to carry it on you.
Old 02-20-20, 08:51 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeme
I think I saw they added a clothing/gear drop service or something like that? I heard the ride is very cold at the start then can get warm so you need to shed layers. This would be great instead of having to carry it on you.
Yes on their website on the "Information" page several SAGS will have clothing drops available. I can vouch for the temp change last year started out in the mid-40s ended up mid-70s. Layering is key!
West
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 02-20-20, 05:45 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
I did the 100 miler about 25-30 years ago. I did not bring anything even close to sufficient to keep me warm. I only remember 3 things about that ride and the first one was that I was freezing for about the first hour. I would switch back and forth sitting on my hands trying to keep them from freezing.
Old 02-22-20, 07:39 PM
JimmyNH
Dilligaf

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I found something really amusing on their website - a "Wall of shame". WTF! Looks like if you happen to ride your bike on these roads during their crappy event, you'll end up on their website, labeled as "bandit, freeloader, thief". What am I supposed to do? Obtain somehow their route slip and stay away from these roads? Or do they post signs "road closed to bicycles"? How about they close the road to cars? Then I might try to talk myself into doing that ride.
Likes For JimmyNH:
Old 02-22-20, 08:20 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
^^^^^ Takes all kinds I suppose. I once happened upon a charity ride on Hwy 39 one morning. They had a water/snack and portable toilet stop near San Gabriel Reservoir. No biggie, just cycled my way up the highway among numerous riders. I did not try to drink their water or nibble on their snacks. No one confronted me. The organizers of the Solvang Century may have issues with riders essentially stealing drinks and snacks acting as if they are registered for the ride. Unforgivable if they are taking photographs for just using a public road. This looks like libel/slander if no fraud is involved.
Old 02-22-20, 08:35 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If I were the sort to go out of my way to travel to these rides and pay for them, I would avoid the Solvang Century purely because of the Bandit Riders website they went ahead and set up.

Taking SAG that you didn't pay for is in poor taste, just like the website. Show me some people without bands eating at the SAG stops or taking advantage of other amenities. I just see people riding bicycles.
Old 02-23-20, 09:22 AM
TakingMyTime

The year that I rode (paid participant) I did not have a helmet. I remember about every 10 minutes someone rode by me making a point of telling me I didn't have a helmet. I'm pretty sure that a helmet was required but I never saw that in the memo and no one at the starting line asked to see my helmet.
Old 02-23-20, 08:18 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
The year that I rode (paid participant) I did not have a helmet. I remember about every 10 minutes someone rode by me making a point of telling me I didn't have a helmet. I'm pretty sure that a helmet was required but I never saw that in the memo and no one at the starting line asked to see my helmet.
I did my first Solvang Century in 1989, helmets were starting to come into fashion, and with them the new "Helmet Police". I never wore a helmet during training sessions but they were mandatory through the USCF events and most organized rides. Im glad I wore one as I dont do well with people telling me what to do when Im on a bike, especially if Helmets were Not Mandatory.
Old 02-23-20, 08:22 PM
Manny66 

Originally Posted by JimmyNH
I found something really amusing on their website - a "Wall of shame". WTF! Looks like if you happen to ride your bike on these roads during their crappy event, you'll end up on their website, labeled as "bandit, freeloader, thief". What am I supposed to do? Obtain somehow their route slip and stay away from these roads? Or do they post signs "road closed to bicycles"? How about they close the road to cars? Then I might try to talk myself into doing that ride.
Organizing a huge Bike Event is alot more then just water and bananas being handed out.

Insurance cost, Cost of hiring Police Personnel to marshall the roads, and City Permit Expenses for all the Cities your Event goes thru all come into play . To go out and ride a cycling Event without paying (regardless if its on Public streets) is a slap in the face to All involved.

Solvang is a Fantastic well organized Century Ride and far from "crappy".
Likes For Manny66:
Old 02-24-20, 11:50 AM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
The site says limited to 3000 riders, does it ever actually sell out?
Old 02-25-20, 12:53 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Wow, that is incredibly tacky from the organizers. I have no idea on what road those pictures were taken from, but the whole area has tons of cyclists. There is bound to be a few cyclists on the road on any given day.

I was not considering the ride (primarily because I did not hear about it), but now I definitely will not.
Likes For Tycho Brahe:
Old 02-25-20, 09:10 PM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by bikeme
The site says limited to 3000 riders, does it ever actually sell out?
Every year. Back when I rode it there was only the 100 miler. They probably turn away 3000 wannabe entrants. I haven't pulled up the website so I'm not sure how current or accurate I am but... don't they have a couple or rides the weeks before i.e. training rides? I believe they also offer other options like a Metric Century and half century. Probably in order to get more people out there and paying for the day.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 02-26-20, 11:01 PM
JimmyNH
Dilligaf

Bikes: Orbea

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
You ride without a helmet??!! We'll have to get together for a ride, bro! Nobody will dare to fok around with us.

Originally Posted by Manny66
Organizing a huge Bike Event is alot more then just water and bananas being handed out.
Insurance cost, Cost of hiring Police Personnel to marshall the roads, and City Permit Expenses for all the Cities your Event goes thru all come into play . To go out and ride a cycling Event without paying (regardless if its on Public streets) is a slap in the face to All involved.
Solvang is a Fantastic well organized Century Ride and far from "crappy".
So, what do you suggest? Ask Alexa about organized rides near me, then somehow collect their route slips and put them on a map and then plot a ride that avoids all roads used by these organized rides? Naaah, I'll have to take Fridays off, can't afford that.

Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
Wow, that is incredibly tacky from the organizers. I have no idea on what road those pictures were taken from, but the whole area has tons of cyclists. There is bound to be a few cyclists on the road on any given day.
I was not considering the ride (primarily because I did not hear about it), but now I definitely will not.
That's exactly what I thought. That area is a popular cycling destination, people are not going to avoid these roads just because the Solvang Century is taking place. About 70% of my solo rides are on Santiago Canyon and most of the organized rides in OC use that road. If the organizers were as cranky (or tacky as you put it) as these SCOR guys, my picture would've been all over the internet and probably with a price on my head. I think we all agree that pirate riders suck, but just being on the road during an organized ride doesn't make you a pirate. Totally agree with you Tycho, I won't do that ride even if they pay me the $99.
Likes For JimmyNH:
Old 02-27-20, 11:26 AM
Manny66 

Originally Posted by JimmyNH
You ride without a helmet??!! We'll have to get together for a ride, bro! Nobody will dare to fok around with us.

So, what do you suggest? Ask Alexa about organized rides near me, then somehow collect their route slips and put them on a map and then plot a ride that avoids all roads used by these organized rides? Naaah, I'll have to take Fridays off, can't afford that.

That's exactly what I thought. That area is a popular cycling destination, people are not going to avoid these roads just because the Solvang Century is taking place. About 70% of my solo rides are on Santiago Canyon and most of the organized rides in OC use that road. If the organizers were as cranky (or tacky as you put it) as these SCOR guys, my picture would've been all over the internet and probably with a price on my head. I think we all agree that pirate riders suck, but just being on the road during an organized ride doesn't make you a pirate. Totally agree with you Tycho, I won't do that ride even if they pay me the $99.

Im NOT suggesting You do anything, and I dont know what Alexa is. I merely posted a valid response as to some of the issues and Money invloved with organizing a Cycling Event ,and if posting pictures of riders taking advantage of this Event offends you so be it.

BTW, 100% of the Proceeds of the Event go to Charities, so if anyone is getting cheated its the kids and the Heart recipients that benefit from Events like this.

Good to know I wont see you there.
Old 02-27-20, 01:30 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

With all the monies we all pay on state and gas taxes, I would not feel the least guilty riding on an open state road. If you live in SoCal, on any given Saturday, there are cycling events on public roads. When I run into one, I am not going to change my route. I might wait for a gap or pass but to be blunt, as long as I do not try to steal SAG, I am not doing anything unlawful. This is the crux of the argument - legality.

The group I ran into on Hwy 39 had to do with diabetes, the Tour de Cure. Had a couple of pleasant conversations sharing my story of a brother who died from diabetes. Made my day. This type of public shaming IMO, has no business in organized cycling because again there are no laws broken for using an open public road.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 02-27-20 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-27-20, 10:03 PM
Manny66 

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
With all the monies we all pay on state and gas taxes, I would not feel the least guilty riding on an open state road. If you live in SoCal, on any given Saturday, there are cycling events on public roads. When I run into one, I am not going to change my route. I might wait for a gap or pass but to be blunt, as long as I do not try to steal SAG, I am not doing anything unlawful. This is the crux of the argument - legality.

The group I ran into on Hwy 39 had to do with diabetes, the Tour de Cure. Had a couple of pleasant conversations sharing my story of a brother who died from diabetes. Made my day. This type of public shaming IMO, has no business in organized cycling because again there are no laws broken for using an open public road.

If I remember correctly, they also hold USA Cyling Events/Races on Public Roads, using Your argument about paying Taxes , feel free to Bandit into one of the Local Crit Races next time you feel the urge to express your God given Rights as a Taxpayer.

Let me know when you plan on doing it, I'd like to be there when that happens. Should be fun.
Old 02-27-20, 10:33 PM
CAT7RDR

If I remember correctly, they also hold USA Cyling Events/Races on Public Roads, using Your argument about paying Taxes , feel free to Bandit into one of the Local Crit Races next time you feel the urge to express your God given Rights as a Taxpayer.
Let me know when you plan on doing it, I'd like to be there when that happens. Should be fun.
You are changing the yard marker. I said open roads. In 2015 when the Tour of California was using Hwy 39 cyclists were denied access to Hwy 39 by LEO where the northern most part of the SGRT ends. I was there. Pretty neat watching the pros zoom down the canyon with helicopters above. You are also introducing racing events into the equation not charity rides.

I also stated the argument is about what one can do legally vs an unhappy organizer who feels compelled to publicly shame cyclists for legally using an open road. The term Bandit is just hyperbole without a legal definition. No one is looking to jump into a criterion race course closed to the public because it is a sanctioned event by a governing body. When the Tour of Foothill uses Foothill Blvd do they close the street? Of course not. It is open to the public. Same goes for PCH which is frequently used for charity rides.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 02-28-20 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-27-20, 10:53 PM
Manny66 

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
You are changing the yard marker. I said open roads. In 2015 when the Tour of California was using Hwy 39 cyclists were denied access to Hwy 39 by LEO where the northern most part of the SGRT ends. I was there. Pretty neat watching the pros zoom down the canyon with helicopters above. You are also introducing racing events into the equation not charity rides.

I also stated the argument is about what one can do legally vs an unhappy organizer who feels compelled to publicly shame cyclists for legally using an open road. The term Bandit is just hyperbole without a legal definition. No one is looking to jump into a criterion race course closed to the public because it is a sanctioned event by a governing body. When the Tour of Foothill uses Foothill Blvd do they close the street? Of course not. It is open to the public. Same goes for PCH which is frequently used for charity rides.
You argument doesnt hold water, Open or Closed Event is irrelevant , an Organization putting on any Event is entitled to certain Rights during their Event and plastering pictures of all these Freeloaders , is within Their Right.

Riding on a Public Road and being exempt from being photographed is Not a protected Right.

You can cry and complain all you want ,nobody cares.
Old 02-28-20, 12:41 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
so glad i do nearly all of my big rides on mondays and tuesdays so i don't hafta deal with this nonsense. i feel for those of you who do tho.
riding in santa ynez valley, over the years on a weekday, usually finds me encountering 0-10 cyclists over the course of 40+ miles.
have never ridden the area on a saturday or sunday but i'd hafta estimate normal (non-event) weekend usage to be at least 3x any non-holiday weekday.

having cycled in socal for over twenty years, have come across a few events tho while on a usual ride, a vaca ride or a longer desert, beach or mountainfest.
sometimes, the event coincided with my planned ride for a short distance of a few miles or less, 10-20 miles or 20+ miles. i rode all of these distances with
event rides without preemptively and knowingly being aware of the events. some i felt more comfortable in not deviating from my planned ride. others, i felt it was best to
make a u-turn or left or right because of the vibe. 100% agree it's totally uncool to pirate sag services, bathroom services, etc, if you haven't paid for the ride that's obviously
making those services happen. if...the event's site is posting pics of riders "caught" on roads trammelled by the event between said event's start/finish times and said caught riders
were only guilty of space and time and not guilty of using services, then 100% uncool as well and it's a bleeping badge of honor to be "caught."

the fact the site exists with the "bandit" link guarantees i will never do that ride on that day and pay for it. it also guarantees that if i ever happen to be in the area, with my bike and in shape enuff
to hit at least a few miles during said event, that i'll be looking to make a presence and waving to every photographer for their pitiful gallery of shame. i still won't be pirating their services.

Last edited by diphthong; 02-28-20 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-28-20, 12:59 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
i don't usually do events but the lighthouse and wildflower century rides have always appealed...
Old 02-28-20, 09:29 AM
TakingMyTime

I'm like @ooga-booga as to doing the majority of my long rides on a weekday. So, being restricted or rerouted by an event isn't anything I would usually have to deal with.

I would never purposefully enter an organized ride or take advantage of their rest stops unless I had paid for it. If an organized ride and I happened to cross paths while I was out riding I would have no problem blending in with the crowd as necessary. I would highly doubt that any of my weekend rides would match, turn for turn, any particular organized ride I might encounter.
Old 02-28-20, 04:12 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Good to know I wont see you there.
If I went, I would be so far ahead of you that you would not see me anyways.
Likes For Tycho Brahe:
Old 02-29-20, 03:52 PM
Manny66 

Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
If I went, I would be so far ahead of you that you would not see me anyways.
What, are you 13 years old? Grow up son.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.