Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rack user error -- got SO lucky

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 09-20-19, 10:45 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 2,510 Posts

mcours2006 just had a close call, I had my own last night. I leave my car at work as much as possible, where it can get free shade in the parking deck. I leave a bike rack on the back (saris bones). Last night I needed to use the car, so I drove down to the bike parking area, and tossed my bike on.

When I got on the freeway and started to pick up speed, at about 60 I see in the mirror my bike fly off!!! I'm such an idiot I put the bike in the cradles and forgot to close the buckle straps! (got distracted by bungeeing the front wheel in place so it wouldn't flop)

In the mirror while I'm slowing down (or probably mostly before I have time to react) I saw the bike take a bunch of tumbles.

FORTUNATELY (I'm so relieved and grateful)
  • Nobody was directly behind me
  • The bike stayed in the right side of the right lane
  • In that section of freeway, the vast majority of traffic is in the left lanes
I put my hazards on and reversed on the shoulder (I'm the worlds worst backwards driver, and this stressful situation didn't help). Hopefully traffic seeing this crazy person weaving backwards on the shoulder with his hazards on helped alert them that something was up and notice the bike in the road if they didn't already.

I made it to the bike and grabbed it out of the road as quick as I could (felt like a car made a rudely close pass towards my head!), got the bike back up on the rack, WITH THE STRAPS BUCKLED, and went on my way.

All things considered, the bike is in great shape, I haven't had time for a full, close inspection yet.
  • The frame (CrossCheck) is I'm sure totally fine. I guess there's a possibility the fork could be bent, but it looks ok
  • The carbon seatpost seems fine, with a good bit of force I twisted it back mostly straight, so it seemed solid.
  • The Selle Anatomica Titanico X sustained deep scrapes on the nose and the rear. Doesn't seem anything like about to tear apart. Not sure if I should soak with sno.seal, or apply wax, or what, to try to protect the exposed raw leather, or just ride it.
  • The tires (new Schwalbe Hurricane, 700x50 in the back, 700x42 in the front) are fine and the tubes didn't pop.
  • The rear wheel (32-spoke Velocity Dyad) is definitely bent, but not completely taco'd. I might be able to curb-stomp it back to where I can make it good enough with a spoke wrench.
  • The front wheel looks straight, but I can't spin it yet because the handlbars and brake levers all shifted around which caused the canti brakes to lock.
  • The shift cable housing coming out of the Retroshift (Gevenalle) levers got sheared open, but the shifters and brake levers are fine (no need to take advantage of Gevenalle's $18 repair/rebuild/replace for any reason policy)
  • The cygolite hotshot is broken. I got it for free because my wife found it, and I have said many times if I ever lost it I would pay to replace it, so I will definitely do that. The headlight (flashlight hoseclamped to the handlebars) is loose but seems ok. Didn't actually test turning it on.
  • The flimsy plastic water bottle cage is intact, and I recovered my beloved Sriracha water bottle on the side of the road.
All things considered, the consequences of my stupidity and inattentiveness are extremely small.

Everybody feel free to berate me in the comments, and I'll give updates about getting it fixed back up.

Stay safe out there everybody, double-check your racks!
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 09-20-19, 11:22 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Glad nothing bad happened and your bike was okay. Sometimes you do dumb things and get away with it. 👍
Old 09-20-19, 11:42 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I was paranoid about driving with the bike even with the straps buckled after that, and I probably will be for life! (which is a good thing)
Old 09-20-19, 01:02 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
oh man! glad you didn't perish on the highway! yikes!

one time I did something similar, mine didn't fly off the rack but it was lifting in the wind & sliding to the rear. I was able to pull over & correct my mistake
Old 09-20-19, 03:10 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

A friend told me once his entire rack slid off his roof with a bike. Before he got to it he heard 'thumpthump', and the bike was totaled. Although I guess whoever drove over it was ok
Old 09-23-19, 12:24 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Did that once with a kayak.

Nothing quite compares, at least in my experience, to seeing a 13ft kayak slide off the roof and over the hood into the intersection. Never struck a thing. Just skittered across, into the yard on the other side. Embarrassing.

But, other than a few scratches on the underside, no problems. Had failed to tighten the straps. Never did that again.

Old 09-23-19, 05:41 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
A friend of mine forgot he had his expensive carbon bike on the roof of his car and went through one of these parking garages with a maximum clearance. Needless to say he didn't clear.
Old 09-23-19, 07:24 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I had a trailer hitch bike rack on my Mustang in the 80s & 90s. I had a trunk-muont rack on my Subaru in the 2000s and early 2010s. I now have a Nissan Rogue and lay the bike in the back (drive side up).

No more rack anxiety. No more worrying about leaving the bike locked on the rack.

With the use of old blankets and pillows I can even put both my bike an my wife's bike in the back together.

When it was time to get a new car I specifically looked at an SUV/Wagon for this reason.
Old 09-23-19, 11:10 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Oh man.

For a moment I thought maybe your rack on your bike had come apart and you had eaten it. Surly published a recall on their front racks this morning.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-23-19, 12:36 PM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
My Motobecane Fantom CX took a flying leap off the back of a buddy's Prius at 80+mph on the way home from a metric. The frame clamp was on a bottle and not the frame. He ran into traffic to get it. Needed a new seat (he gave me one of his spares), new rack, new handlebar. Everything was awesome. Still have the bike.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 09-25-19, 10:18 AM
smullen

Bikes: Trek 4900, Giant Anthem x 29er 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
mcours2006 just had a close call, I had my own last night. I leave my car at work as much as possible, where it can get free shade in the parking deck. I leave a bike rack on the back (saris bones). Last night I needed to use the car, so I drove down to the bike parking area, and tossed my bike on.

When I got on the freeway and started to pick up speed, at about 60 I see in the mirror my bike fly off!!! I'm such an idiot I put the bike in the cradles and forgot to close the buckle straps! (got distracted by bungeeing the front wheel in place so it wouldn't flop)

In the mirror while I'm slowing down (or probably mostly before I have time to react) I saw the bike take a bunch of tumbles.

FORTUNATELY (I'm so relieved and grateful)
  • Nobody was directly behind me
  • The bike stayed in the right side of the right lane
  • In that section of freeway, the vast majority of traffic is in the left lanes
I put my hazards on and reversed on the shoulder (I'm the worlds worst backwards driver, and this stressful situation didn't help). Hopefully traffic seeing this crazy person weaving backwards on the shoulder with his hazards on helped alert them that something was up and notice the bike in the road if they didn't already.

I made it to the bike and grabbed it out of the road as quick as I could (felt like a car made a rudely close pass towards my head!), got the bike back up on the rack, WITH THE STRAPS BUCKLED, and went on my way.

All things considered, the bike is in great shape, I haven't had time for a full, close inspection yet.
  • The frame (CrossCheck) is I'm sure totally fine. I guess there's a possibility the fork could be bent, but it looks ok
  • The carbon seatpost seems fine, with a good bit of force I twisted it back mostly straight, so it seemed solid.
  • The Selle Anatomica Titanico X sustained deep scrapes on the nose and the rear. Doesn't seem anything like about to tear apart. Not sure if I should soak with sno.seal, or apply wax, or what, to try to protect the exposed raw leather, or just ride it.
  • The tires (new Schwalbe Hurricane, 700x50 in the back, 700x42 in the front) are fine and the tubes didn't pop.
  • The rear wheel (32-spoke Velocity Dyad) is definitely bent, but not completely taco'd. I might be able to curb-stomp it back to where I can make it good enough with a spoke wrench.
  • The front wheel looks straight, but I can't spin it yet because the handlbars and brake levers all shifted around which caused the canti brakes to lock.
  • The shift cable housing coming out of the Retroshift (Gevenalle) levers got sheared open, but the shifters and brake levers are fine (no need to take advantage of Gevenalle's $18 repair/rebuild/replace for any reason policy)
  • The cygolite hotshot is broken. I got it for free because my wife found it, and I have said many times if I ever lost it I would pay to replace it, so I will definitely do that. The headlight (flashlight hoseclamped to the handlebars) is loose but seems ok. Didn't actually test turning it on.
  • The flimsy plastic water bottle cage is intact, and I recovered my beloved Sriracha water bottle on the side of the road.
All things considered, the consequences of my stupidity and inattentiveness are extremely small.

Everybody feel free to berate me in the comments, and I'll give updates about getting it fixed back up.

Stay safe out there everybody, double-check your racks!
I will admidt I have on several occasions forgot to actually secure the straps on one of my bikes. Reading this will make me double check. I like to lean from others experiences when it comes to things like this.
Old 09-25-19, 11:12 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
whoops!
Old 10-03-19, 09:02 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

So, update:

The rear rim was bent, I couldn't straighten it, so I swapped in a spare wheel I had laying around. It is laterally true but has a radial hop that has me bouncing in resonance at about 9mph. Eventually I'll buy a replacement rim and lace up the old hub and spokes.

After a little touch up with the spoke wrench, the front wheel seems fine. Fork too.

Brake levers and stem all came loose from the impact, I tightened them back up, and patched torn bar tape with a wrap of electrical.

My interlocked hose clamps for my headlight were loosened, and the body of the light ovalized. I rounded it a little better with vise grips and put it back on with new hose clamps.

Seat is scraped at the back and the nose, but leather seems not about to tear. Also the rails are bent, but they each seem to be bent the same (not slanted) and it's still holding my weight, so I'll keep riding it.

I've been riding it for about a week now, and except for that annoying hop, it seems as good as 'new'.
Old 10-07-19, 01:42 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 653 Times in 254 Posts
Left the fork mount QR unsecured, and watched in slow terror as my Bridgestone MB-2 leaned over to the horizontal plane. Stopped the car and found my bike still on my rack, but the left fork dropout bent at a 90 degree angle. Bike never came off the car thanks to a rear wheel strap holding it on. Straightened the dropout (steel rigid fork) with a large adjustable wrench and went on my way. Never had a problem with it, and ride that bike for several years afterward.
Old 01-02-20, 12:16 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Got a rim for xmas, and a buddy who has a nice truing stand and tensiometer let me build my wheel up under his supervision yesterday. Rode it into work today -- it's nice to get off my backup wheel which had a terrible hop!
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 01-09-20, 07:54 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Damn!

I think that must be most people's second biggest nightmare, right after driving into a garage with a bike on a roof rack. Ha ha.
Old 01-10-20, 07:02 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Damn!

I think that must be most people's second biggest nightmare, right after driving into a garage with a bike on a roof rack. Ha ha.
I know several people who've done that. It's why I will never have a roof rack.
Old 01-13-20, 10:21 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I've done it once (except it was a balcony and it was (excruciatingly!) low speed, and my wife will never let me put a bike on a roof rack again. (that bike was a mongoose mtb, $50 from CL, so no great loss)
Old 01-15-20, 01:01 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,179 Posts
BITD, I started with a rear rack. When I got rear-ended, it destroyed the rack, bent the bumper to the point where I couldn't add fuel, bent the seat stays and top tube, and did some damage to nearly every component of the bike. It hit the rims so hard, the tension of the spokes bent the high-flange hubs. I had ZERO option to avoid it.

So I got a roof rack. I hit the garage once. Bent the rack, dented the roof, creased the siding on my stepmother's garage, no damage to the bike. And it was my fault.

Next motor vehicle was a hatchback, I started putting all bikes inside, and never looked back. I haven't owned a car with a trunk since, in close to 40 years.

At least with a roof rack, any low-clearance damage done is done by me, and can be avoided by me. With a rear rack, I'm not driving the car behind me that can rear-end me.
Old 01-15-20, 01:15 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I have an idea in my head for a roof rack system where the bikes lean over diagonally as much as possible, with a strut coming up to grasp the top tube. The strut should be extendible/adjustable so you can lean the bike at multiple angles, depending on how many bikes and other roof cargo you're working with.

I don't have any good ideas how to DIY something like that.

(Although many years ago I did this -- that was the system holding the mongoose that I drove into a balcony. I can't even remember whether that wooden mount survived the incident, but the rectangular cross-bars were bent)
Old 01-15-20, 07:10 PM
striegel 

Bikes: 1975 Paris Sport 700, 2007 Dahon Mu P8 (folding bicycle), 1984 Miyata 210

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
Trunk is better

Originally Posted by BobbyG
I had a trailer hitch bike rack on my Mustang in the 80s & 90s. I had a trunk-muont rack on my Subaru in the 2000s and early 2010s. I now have a Nissan Rogue and lay the bike in the back (drive side up).

No more rack anxiety. No more worrying about leaving the bike locked on the rack.

With the use of old blankets and pillows I can even put both my bike an my wife's bike in the back together.

When it was time to get a new car I specifically looked at an SUV/Wagon for this reason.
One of the main criteria when I was car shopping in 2004 was that my bicycle had to fit behind the rear seat.

Bicycle in the trunk of 2004 Scion xB
Old 01-16-20, 11:25 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Years ago I was on my motorcycle and spied a guy with bikes flopping around on top of his car. I tried to chase him down - he either thought I was malicious or wanted to race, because he went faster and faster... I finally pulled alongside about 100 mph and got his attention on me and not my bike, and pointed to his roof. 100 on that particular bike was not a fun place to be, and in long hindsight I should have let him go.

My present situation is minivan / pickup truck / travel trailer so this doesn't really come up that much
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-17-20, 08:56 AM
308jerry

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
I wasn't as lucky as most OP here. My rack was on the back of the pickup, went about 15 miles. When we got to where we were going, we got out and there was no bike in the rack anymore. I drove back through the same route. Never did find it or even a trace of where it happened. Somebody somewhere may be enjoying that bike yet today.
Old 01-17-20, 12:56 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by striegel
One of the main criteria when I was car shopping in 2004 was that my bicycle had to fit behind the rear seat.

Bicycle in the trunk of 2004 Scion xB
I've been considering the same thing. Did you actually bring your bike to the test drives and did a fit check? Did the owner/dealer ever have an issue with that?
Old 01-17-20, 03:08 PM
striegel 

Bikes: 1975 Paris Sport 700, 2007 Dahon Mu P8 (folding bicycle), 1984 Miyata 210

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
Tried it and made sure

Originally Posted by Riveting
I've been considering the same thing. Did you actually bring your bike to the test drives and did a fit check? Did the owner/dealer ever have an issue with that?
Yes, I took the bike along to several car dealers for actual field checks of the fit. Most of the other candidate cars at that time failed, but the local dealers were very helpful in letting me try. When I attended the Cleveland auto show in 2004, I just brought along the measurements when I confirmed the xB would work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.