Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Wing nut axle bolts. Yay or nay?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 01-11-20, 12:37 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts

It seems that wing nut axle bolts used to be a thing, but any nutted wheel today comes with a plain hex nut. Is this just cost savings? Did the wing nuts not work well? Rips your leg open in a crash?
Old 01-11-20, 12:42 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts

Can one get them tight enough for horizontal rear dropouts?

They are probably OK in the front, or with vertical dropouts.
Old 01-11-20, 03:12 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Wing nuts were used so that riders could take off and reinstall wheels on the road without needing to carry tools. Quick release rendered them obsolete because it does that job better. Track bikes don't use them because wrench nuts do the job better and track riders use tools at the track. Fixed gear road riders use them because they are the current standard. You can probably still find wing nuts from some specialty retailers if you really want some.
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 01-12-20, 05:21 AM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Wing nuts are cool looking. Look better than they function though.

Independence Co,. Ltd , Bikedomeworks, Bicycle
These guys make a modern version. They have (or had in the past) some listed on fleabay as well.
Old 01-12-20, 06:27 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
VO used to sell them. I don't know why they couldn't be used with chain tugs.

https://velo-orange.blogspot.com/2011/04/nuts.html
Old 01-12-20, 11:52 AM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Link to fleabay BDW wing nuts I previously mentioned:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F232716877791

Originally Posted by Lazyass
VO used to sell them. I don't know why they couldn't be used with chain tugs.

https://velo-orange.blogspot.com/2011/04/nuts.html
Those VO wing nuts look great awesome. I would love to use a set on a modern lugged frame build.

​​​
Old 01-12-20, 01:40 PM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
One of the advantages of ordinary hex nuts is the reduced risk of opportunistic/nuisance theft. Not all potential thieves carry a spanner/wrench.

One of the disadvantages of wing nuts is that, because they are visibly different, they might attract the attention of the sort of idiot who loosens something or steals it just because he can.
Old 01-12-20, 03:28 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
It seems that wing nut axle bolts used to be a thing, but any nutted wheel today comes with a plain hex nut. Is this just cost savings? Did the wing nuts not work well? Rips your leg open in a crash?
Probably the main reason you don't seem wingnuts on track hubs is that most velodrome do not allow wingnuts or quick releases in competition. If you really want a tool-free means to remove your wheels, install hollow axles and use quick releases, N.B. not the currently fashionable external-cam design, but the old-school enclosed cam design still available from Shimano and elsewhere. Neither wingnuts nor external cam quick releases can reliably secure a rear wheel in a horizontal track dropout. External cam quick releases are fine on road bikes with vertical dropouts where the wheel can't slip from pedaling forces.
Old 01-16-20, 10:55 PM
tashi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
I used the stock wing-nuts on my Jeunet city bike, set up SS, and never had any slippage. Stamped dropouts and all, never a slip. I kept the steel-rimmed wheels mostly because of the wingnuts. For a vintagy bike, particularly with some other very french design flourishes, they're a nice addition.

On road bikes with horizontal dropouts, I regularly pull the wheel out pulling away from a stop or cranking a small gear up a steep hill if I don't use enclosed cam QR's. Leads me to believe that the wing nuts get tight enough, at least for city bike use.

YMMV.
Old 01-17-20, 12:16 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by tashi
I used the stock wing-nuts on my Jeunet city bike, set up SS, and never had any slippage. Stamped dropouts and all, never a slip. I kept the steel-rimmed wheels mostly because of the wingnuts. For a vintagy bike, particularly with some other very french design flourishes, they're a nice addition.

On road bikes with horizontal dropouts, I regularly pull the wheel out pulling away from a stop or cranking a small gear up a steep hill if I don't use enclosed cam QR's. Leads me to believe that the wing nuts get tight enough, at least for city bike use.

YMMV.
This has been my experience as well. I have never had any wheel slippage issues with alloy wingnuts on stamped steel dropouts. Unlike you, I use a derailleur gear bike. It's not geared terribly low. YMMV.