Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Helmet recommendations?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Helmet recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-20, 08:08 AM
wc1472

Bikes: 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmet recommendations?

I was just wondering if anyone had recommendations for helmets that are really low profile and lightweight, I currently own a bontrager starvos (not 100% about the model) and i find feeling very bulky on my head. I also am a very large guy (6'5") with a large head.
I was looking at maybe a lazer or giro from some googling? Hard to tell without seeing in person.

I live in a very tiny college town with a very short commute and I find I really really miss the feeling of riding without a helmet...I don't really feel safe doing this anymore and so have resorted to walking or driving and miss my bike a lot!
Old 02-21-20, 10:57 AM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I have about a 62cm head and finding a helmet that fits is hit or miss for me. Since I live in a smaller town finding very many to try on locally isn't going to happen. So last year I researched and ordered XL Bell Falcon and Giro Syntax MITS helmets from bikeshoes.com. They both fit my big head pretty well but looked utterly ginormous perched on my head. Then I noticed that the Giro even at its smallest adjustment was a little loose on my head so I had them send me a Large. The Large fit perfectly when adjusted out and was a much more reasonable size. I was amazed how much physically bigger the XL helmets were compared the regular sizes. Point being, since you are in a small town try to find somebody that that has free returns and will send you the helmets to try on at home. I did this with my shoes also and it worked out great.
Old 02-22-20, 02:34 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Judging from what I've seen friends wearing, the least bulbous helmets are Lazer (notably the Z1), Kask, Catlike, some Giro and some Bell models. My Bell Formula MIPS isn't too bulbous and the Z20 has a similar low profile.

Part of it is cosmetic. Some color schemes and graphics can affect the apparent size of a helmet, when you compare identical helmets in various colors and designs.

Others look sleek from the front, like most MET helmets, but a bit gawky from the side and rear due to the upward flare or huge vents.

But after witnessing a pretty horrific crash last year with multiple head knocks on the pavement and curb, I decided not to worry about looks and go for fit, comfort and safety. While multiple head hits may be statistically unusual, I saw it happen -- side and top both crushed.

POC are definitely the mushroom heads. I have one, an Omne Air Spin for my hybrid and casual rides. It's not quite as mushroom-head looking as some POC models but they're all bulbous. But probably the safest if we crash. That EPS foam is much thicker than most, the POCs cover a bit lower on the noggin, and most are really well ventilated. POC seems to be going for the fashionably dorky look and play it up with neon colors for some models. Even their aero helmet is bulbous and among the least efficient in wind tunnel tests, although still a little better than some conventionally shaped and vented road helmets. Somewhere online is a review by a guy who seemed to choose a size too small to minimize the profile, but it obviously looks too small and uncomfortable.
Old 02-22-20, 05:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I don't have any particular suggestions other than to cross check ones you're thinking about with this list:

VA Tech Helmet Ratings

Some of the ones other posters have recommended rate quite well for safety, even without MIPs.
Old 02-22-20, 06:28 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
You probably won't like the aethetics, but I have been very happy with my poc.
Old 02-22-20, 11:25 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Step one: Go to LBS.
Step two: try on all of the helmets in your size. Don't look at the brands, don't look at the prices.
Step three: buy the one that feels the best.

If you're lucky, you're walking out with like a $70 helmet. I'm one of the unlucky ones, but I just remind myself-- how much is my brain worth?

I don't think I would ever feel comfortable recommending a particular helmet to anyone. I've had good luck with helmets in the past, but I've gotten there by buying the one that fits the best.

You can save some money by shipping online, but I genuinely encourage buying helmets and shoes in person, hands on.

Last edited by cb400bill; 02-23-20 at 09:34 AM. Reason: clean up
Likes For DrIsotope:
Old 02-22-20, 04:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I really like my Lazer Z1 that I have had for a while. It is nice and light and very comfortable and has plenty of space for hats and other winter wear (typically I wear a cycling cap in summer and balaclava in winter). The new one the G1 looks really promising but I haven't ridden it yet (just a short try on with the rep) but will probably be the next one in a couple years. I had a Giro Synthe previously and really liked it but I wish I had the larger size as I went with a medium and was on the outer range of it and a large would have worked better and is generally what I wear in helmets. I will say if I had to choose between the two I would go Lazer without hesitation I kind of like the top mounted retention dial better and the colors worked well with my shoes and one of my bikes.
Old 02-22-20, 06:18 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I really like my Kask Mojito. I bought the helmet on sale last year and rode with the helmet for season. No complaints.
Old 02-23-20, 09:36 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
All of the off topic posts have been deleted or edited. The OP was asking for helmet recommendations. Feel free to post your helmet use opinions in our A&S helmet thread. Not here.