Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Trike?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-17, 08:42 AM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Trike?

Anyone else use a trike?
I like the load capacity, and they can be a blast to ride.
Old 11-09-17, 06:24 PM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
+1

I rigged mine to pull a kiddie trailer modified to a flat bed with a cedar plank deck. I use it for groceries or hauling a kayak.

They can be picked up used, far cheaper, and more common than the crop of utility bikes sold by dealers. The down side is that the common ones are not as durable as I would like. Cheap wheels and bearings. But for occasional use, I am a big fan. Another downside is storage, ya gotta have a place to keep it. The first year it lived in the garage, but due to priorities it now lives under a tarp out back, not good.
Old 11-18-17, 01:40 PM
LadyGypsyRose

Bikes: Custom built Bianchi M.U.S.S. SS, Merlin Ti Road Bike, Merlin Fat Ti XL MTB, Vintage '90's Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Langster Pro Fixie custom built

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think a trike would be darn handy to have, providing one has the extra space to store it. That said, never had one myself.
Let us know if you get one - would love to see pics.

Cheers!
Old 11-19-17, 08:56 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Originally Posted by LadyGypsyRose
I think a trike would be darn handy to have, providing one has the extra space to store it. That said, never had one myself.

Cheers!
I bought a new Miami Sun Traditional trike with the 7 speed option earlier this month.
"Upgrades" include flared/ducktail fenders front and rear, and a Wald 157 front basket. (Same size as the rear basket.) a set of good lights, a couple vintage style round mirrors, and a wireless cycle computer. The "tractor seat" they come with was swapped out for a regular "beach cruiser" seat before it left the LBS.
I'll be adding a simple hitch next month, so I can pull a 4 wheel garden/nursery cart with it.
Old 11-28-17, 10:13 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by LadyGypsyRose

Cheers!

that's me. I have a trike (more of a cruiser project then utility project. it does have a basket though), but it takes up so much space I eventually put it in the loft over my garage and getting it conveniently back down or up again is too hard. next to impossible.
Old 11-29-17, 08:45 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've played around with a couple of used trikes, but they were heavy and single-speed. Just picked up a 3-speed Torker that is a lot lighter; hoping it will work out well as a utility bike.
I hate to post a picture before I'm done with it - right now, it has an ugly threadless adapter and stem on it so I could raise the bars high enough for comfort. Ape hangers will be going on this weekend though. Also need to build a box; the basket was trash and I've tried a couple of crates I had on hand but didn't like them.
Plan is a wooden 3-sided platform/box on the back, small rack on the front.
Old 12-06-17, 04:30 PM
khyricat

Bikes: hopefully a Sun Traditional Trike

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am looking at the same bike... haven't decided on the fenders/front basket/seat stuff yet- I rented a single speed version on vacation in the beginning of Nov and loved it, but here I need a multi speed so planning the 7 speed version- possibly for a 6 mile each way commute 2 days a week (the other 3 I drive 42 miles each way), and definitely for pleasure riding and grocery shopping when I am not getting a LOT... I am going to wait till spring unless it goes on sale with a pre-order since I don't want the one in stock (yellow single speed) at the LBS, and I can't ride until the snow starts- I might ride in the winter in the future, but I haven't ridden a bike regularly in 5 years... so this will help a lot- no fear of falling off!

Let me know what you think!
Old 12-08-17, 02:56 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Originally Posted by khyricat
I am looking at the same bike... haven't decided on the fenders/front basket/seat stuff yet- I rented a single speed version on vacation in the beginning of Nov and loved it, but here I need a multi speed so planning the 7 speed version- possibly for a 6 mile each way commute 2 days a week (the other 3 I drive 42 miles each way), and definitely for pleasure riding and grocery shopping when I am not getting a LOT... I am going to wait till spring unless it goes on sale with a pre-order since I don't want the one in stock (yellow single speed) at the LBS, and I can't ride until the snow starts- I might ride in the winter in the future, but I haven't ridden a bike regularly in 5 years... so this will help a lot- no fear of falling off!

Let me know what you think!
I swapped out the standard "tractor seat" for a "beach cruiser" seat/saddle before leaving the LBS. My first Miami Sun Trike (a single speed) I bought used, in Florida. Fortunately, there was a Walmart on the way home, about a mile from the pawnshop I found the trike at. I doubt I could have ridden that daRn tractor seat another 7 feet. It has to be the most uncomfortable bike seat (and causes SO much pain hitting the inner thighs) I have ever experienced. The beach cruiser seat also increased my speed from 4 or 5 mph to at least 10 mph, according to an accurate cycle computer.
I also set up the first one to pull a 4 wheel 1,000 pound capacity garden/nursery cart. (Yes, it was overloaded a few times. Paving stones/bricks and marble floor tiles are heavy.)

On my new 7 speed, I added a Wald 157 front basket (same size as the rear basket), a pair of round flat glass mirrors, horn, bell, drink holder, wireless cycle computer, Legal headlight and tail light, and a full set of flared/duckbill fenders. Oh, and 8 ounces of Slime sealant in each tire, plus tire liners in the back. Sandburrs or goat heads are, I beleive, the "state flower" here in Idaho.
I'll be adding a hitch for another garden/nursery cart (1,400 pound capacity this time) this weekend.
The trike will be my winter ride. I'm not thrilled with the idea of riding my mountain bike when the roads are snowy or icy. I have less than no desire to go "splat" in traffic and get squished by someone in a car or truck that is following too close and/or going too fast for the road conditions.
Old 12-08-17, 05:19 PM
khyricat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't find the seat that uncomfortable, then again I was also riding in a long skirt one day and Jeans another.. (more appropriate attire the day in the middle), and it's been 5 years since I rode any bike.. I'll keep that in mind and maybe see if I can sit on some different seats.. I don't think I need the cart, but the front basket, mirrors, horn/bell (not sure if I need both), and the lights are on the agenda, I may do the fenders, and the place I am getting it from puts a drink holder on every bike unless requested NOT to. I run/walk barefoot in many of the places I bike, so the burrs aren't a concern around here (MI).. SInce I live in skirts/dresses in the summer (mosty long and full, so ok for riding), I may do the fenders from the get go to deal with that
Old 12-09-17, 02:03 AM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

I didn't find the seat that uncomfortable, then again I was also riding in a long skirt one day and Jeans another.. (more appropriate attire the day in the middle), and it's been 5 years since I rode any bike.. I'll keep that in mind and maybe see if I can sit on some different seats.. I don't think I need the cart, but the front basket, mirrors, horn/bell (not sure if I need both), and the lights are on the agenda, I may do the fenders, and the place I am getting it from puts a drink holder on every bike unless requested NOT to. I run/walk barefoot in many of the places I bike, so the burrs aren't a concern around here (MI).. SInce I live in skirts/dresses in the summer (mosty long and full, so ok for riding), I may do the fenders from the get go to deal with that
I would guess most would not need the cart. I don't own a car (they cost too much) so I need something to carry stuff that won't fit the baskets.
Old 12-09-17, 04:39 AM
khyricat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
can't avoid owning a car - one of the clinics I work in is 42 miles from home... being there by 7 3 days a week wouldn't happen with just a bike.
Old 12-09-17, 07:40 AM
zebede
Hello

can't avoid owning a car - one of the clinics I work in is 42 miles from home... being there by 7 3 days a week wouldn't happen with just a bike.
Our medium sized community has vastly expanded there handy bus fleet with federal grants. Reoccurring destinations are affordable and easy to schedule. It may not be for you but thought I would let others know by posting. I haven't used it but have become aware of it thru bus web page.

There is also a growing DYI electrification market or adding small gasoline motors to trikes. Again not applicable for a 42 mile ride before daylight but others may want to investigate. Again no first hand experience but have been speaking to a couple of local gentlemen. There advice was don't waste money on cheap import motors but the only ones worth it were the Honda and one other the name escapes me.

In other matters, I would not consider a single speed trike. You need multiple gears. I converted a used (bought at garage sale) Schwinn meridian from single to 18 speed. It was pretty low cost conversion. If you have some cheap donor bikes it can be almost free. If buying new check out Walmart.com they have multi speed trikes for around $200.

Last edited by zebede; 12-09-17 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-09-17, 09:14 AM
khyricat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jealous Zebede - I live in one city and work in another 3 days- there is no connection via public transport between them.. I could vanpool if I worked normal hours- I did when I worked in a hospital, but in Dialysis I have to see patients before I could get there that way.. so instead I drive the 3 days, and the other 2 I work at a clinic close enough that come next summer and a new trike I am hoping to bike commute to... I am looking at a 7 speed Sun trike just like the OP in this thread thought the local bike shop... I used to bike commute locally before I got sick and gave up riding one on a 10 speed, so I think the 7 will work for me... I'm looking at a quality trike for life, not something low cost right now that my non mechanical hubby or I would have to put together. I'd rather let the pros do it.. I can ride the trike home from the shop and KNOW it will work.
Old 12-10-17, 07:10 AM
zebede
Hello

Sounds like you are headed in a good direction. I beleive the Sun would be a step up in quality from the Schwinn and other low cost alternatives available on Walmart.com. For a life time trike you might look at the Worksman.

https://www.worksmancycles.com/
Old 12-10-17, 07:48 AM
khyricat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked at those, they only come up to a 3 speed, I think I need more than that for the hills around here- they aren't huge, but they exist, and there is one steeper one I might occasionally need to take. I also wanted the 24" wheel minimally, yet am short, so the Sun seems to make more sense. They make other bikes but they are more recumbent with the pedals out front and that is NOT what I'm looking at, I want an upright trike or as close to it as I can get- my ONLY back issue makes getting up and down hard, not pedalling or sitting upright.. For my needs a Sun Traditional Trike seems to make the most sense of anything I could find on the market and will be a (hopefully) long term if not lifetime bike. I have 2 friends in other states who have had theirs for awhile and swear by them for similar usage. The only thing I'm going to wish I had was an easier way to transport it, but I think I've resolved that too- with the addition of the Cargo Carrier to the tow hitch.