Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Beargrease X5 for $1k - great deal?

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-18, 06:46 PM
f1sherman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just got a call from my LBS. I had told them I'd be interested in buying one of their rental fatbikes when they are ready to sell them. They just decided to sell a bunch of them. They are all Salsa Beargrease X5, they have all sizes available, and they are all between 2 months and 2 seasons old. None of them have much use, and they offered to do any tweaking or tune-ups necessary on any purchase. Sale price is $1k.

Does this seem like a great deal? I'm really just looking for something entry-level that I can use to find out if I'm dedicated enough to ride through the winter. I live in MN so we get real winters here. Seems like $1k is the minimum I would need to spend. Other options would be to try to find something new in that price range or check out the used market for a deal this Spring, or just wait it out another season or two.

Here are the specs:
https://salsacycles.com/bikes/archiv..._beargrease_x5
Old 03-05-18, 08:47 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
you have to look at the specific equipment and what it cost new.
for $1,100 you can get the Sturgis NX that has way better specs and uses modern rear spacing and is tubeless.

Rental could mean they rode through water streams for all you know and you need new hubs soon, or not.
Old 03-06-18, 09:24 AM
SHOFINE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 15 Posts
Show them the bluebook and offer them maybe $700 on an excellent condition one.
https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Sear...50&model=85814
Old 03-11-18, 06:34 PM
f1sherman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the info! I appreciate the comparison to the Sturgis NX but I really value my relationship with my LBS and the service they've given me so far so I'd like to purchase from them. Great idea to bring up the blue book value, think I'm going to go in there this week and give one a test ride.
Old 03-13-18, 09:04 PM
HerrKaLeun

I noticed Cl shows more fatbikes now than where available used in fall (when I bought mine). After winter i assume some people realized they barely rode and sell it.
If the LBS asks $1K for that bike, they basically ask for about what they paid for. so for them it was a free bike they rented out for a year.

Not sure what you relationship with your LBs is, but to me it is the same as car dealership, department store or other store. It is a business relationship. If they value the relationship as much as you do, they make you a good offer.
Old 03-14-18, 06:48 AM
f1sherman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info on the price.

My LBS has done quite a bit of work for me at no charge, and have given me advice that has led to me spending less with them than I would have otherwise. Not to mention that the proximity to my house makes it really easy for me to pop over for service and/or advice.

It's definitely a business relationship at the end of the day and if this is not a great deal I'm going to pass, but I've been really happy with my LBS and would rather go there than anywhere else so I'm happy to buy from them even if it costs me a bit more.
Old 03-14-18, 06:39 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by f1sherman
Thanks for the info on the price.

My LBS has done quite a bit of work for me at no charge, and have given me advice that has led to me spending less with them than I would have otherwise. Not to mention that the proximity to my house makes it really easy for me to pop over for service and/or advice.

It's definitely a business relationship at the end of the day and if this is not a great deal I'm going to pass, but I've been really happy with my LBS and would rather go there than anywhere else so I'm happy to buy from them even if it costs me a bit more.
Glad you found a good LBS. Good ones are few and far in between. Mine (I just all it mine since I bought a bike there) is really unwelcoming and not helpful when it comes to finding something I need (like matching cones to an old hub, which i had to find myself and tell them the exact number to order). Needless to say it motivated me to do my own research and order online
Old 03-23-18, 08:56 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
What others have stated, if you haven't already bought/dismissed. When I was buying a fat bike last fall, the shop near me was selling a brand new model year old Beargrease (presumably the same you're looking at) for $900. Right now, they have the carbons brand new for $1600 (Salsa 2018 Beargrease Carbon NX1 27.5 Fat Bike in Tree Fort Bikes Complete Fat Bikes). $1000 would be a bit high for an up to two year old demo bike.
Old 03-26-18, 08:25 PM
f1sherman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all of the feedback! I’ve decided to pass for now, but might check back in later this Spring to see if they’ll drop the price a bit. I took the bike for a spin and really enjoyed it.
Old 03-29-18, 05:24 AM
f1sherman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was just at the LBS yesterday and they have a 2018 Beargrease Carbon NX1 on sale for $1,600, the same deal jefnvk mentioned above. $1,600 is more than I'd like to spend, but OTOH it would be nice to start with a carbon frame that I can upgrade. Seems like a better deal in any case, thoughts welcome!
Old 03-29-18, 02:22 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by f1sherman
I was just at the LBS yesterday and they have a 2018 Beargrease Carbon NX1 on sale for $1,600, the same deal jefnvk mentioned above. $1,600 is more than I'd like to spend, but OTOH it would be nice to start with a carbon frame that I can upgrade. Seems like a better deal in any case, thoughts welcome!
Nothing wrong with going nicer. I rode both back to back, the old one was already sporty and lively, the carbon felt awesome. It was at $2k back then, so a much easier dismissal on my part. If it was a $1600 carbon Salsa v my $1200 Al Scott, dunno I'd have made the same choice.

Ask them how badly they want (apparently multiple) two year old aluminum demo bikes sitting on the floor when they are selling brand new carbons with nicer drive trains for not much more. They aren't going to become more valuable as time marches on, especially with the 170 back ends sitting next to 190s. Fair or not, people walking into bike shops generally aren't looking for two year old rentals to buy, and the purpose of demo bikes are to push new stock while only beating up one piece of inventory.

At least, that's my opinion. Don't know what your cost-benefit value is on new v old, but personally I'd call one of the nicer demos down in the $700 range a win.
Old 03-29-18, 03:19 PM
f1sherman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
I'd call one of the nicer demos down in the $700 range a win
Definitely. I've asked them if they would be willing to negotiate on the price and they said they'd rather keep them and rent them out next year. I'm going to check back in a month or so to see if they still feel that way, you're right that the price is only going to go down from here, especially given the deal on the Carbon.