Search
Notices
Mountains-Plains Regional Rides and Events Colorado | Kansas | Missouri | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Triple Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-18, 05:44 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Triple Bypass

So I signed up for the Triple Bypass this July: Evergreen to Avon CO.

I think I've done all the major climbs on that route already, back in 2015 when I was vacationing in Keystone CO ...but not all in one day!

Anyone here done this event? Share your insights/observations!
Old 03-09-18, 10:31 AM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've wanted to do that ride, but the not ending in the starting location and having to rely on shuttle buses to get back to your car thing has always put me off. I prefer to ride the Copper Triangle though instead for that reason, but I do wish there was a longer option of that beyond the 80 miles it does. Something more like the length of the triple. I think at some point I'll do the double triple and ride back to my car the second day. It wont be this year though because of my schedule conflicts with the triple.

What altitude do you live at? I live in Denver so for me the altitude doesn't really cause much of an issue on the lack of oxygen side, but the altitude combined with the early morning close to freezing temperatures gives me hydration issues and I always struggle with getting my hydration right. I go from over hydrated needing to pee a lot in the early AM to cramping up from not enough hydration in the late morning because the last thing i want to do is drink more when I have to piss.
Old 07-09-18, 02:28 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by jitteringjr
What altitude do you live at?
Ha! I live at 0'

Strangely, high elevation doesn't seem to bother me too much. As I said, I'd done most of the Triple Bypass climbs when I was in Keystone already a couple years ago, and aside from noticing that there was no way in hell I'd be able to do any jump-sprints at 11,000' it felt fine riding. And in 2010 we did the Markleeville Death Ride (which is mostly around 8,000' iirc) and didn't even notice the difference from sea level cycling.

My wife otoh had a horrible time during the Death Ride. Even though she dealt with the Colorado climbs without incident she got her doctor to prescribe some sort of anti-altitude sickness medication that she plans to take before the Triple Bypass

Thanks for the reminder about the early AM temps!
Old 07-09-18, 08:11 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Have a great climb and watch out for the wife!
Old 07-12-18, 06:33 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
I'm as ready as I can get.

Night time lows in Evergreen are about 60 right now. That's no problem but assuming a 6am start, that puts an average rider on top of squaw pass at 7:45-8:30. That's fairly early for a fast high altitude descent.

I've got a very light jacket that's smaller than my vest, so I'll wear it on the descent. My knees will be cold. I'll also do the whole ride (every ride actually) in full finger non insulated gloves.

By the time we get to Loveland Pass, I expect the day will be warm enough. I'm psyched, where I live it's always too hot.