Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Old newb

Old 07-12-18, 09:27 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,072 Posts
Old newb

My regular cycling gig these days is randonneuring, which is about as far from track as you can get. Long slow distance, avoid going in the red, carry tons of crap, sleep little. But the rando season is over, and the local track has Wednesday night beginner training for newbies. On top of that, they built the Major Taylor velodrome in my hometown in my 20s, and I've always kicked myself for not giving track a go back then. So at 57 I'm going to show up for a newb training session. My ego was left wimpering in a ditch long ago, so I'll be fine.

What I'm wondering is, will track time have a positive effect on stupidly long distance performance? Next year is Paris Brest Paris, and I'd like to help, not hinder, my results. As well as have fun with something new.
Old 07-13-18, 11:45 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Hi, @downtube42! Welcome to the sport!

To answer your question, I have no idea. I focus on events lasting around 1 minute or less

Maybe some of the other folks can chime in.

Track racing has events from as short as sub-20 seconds all the way to The Hour. I'm sure there is something in there that will suit you and keep you on your program. Local racing usually focuses on short, punchy efforts with races lasting around 5 to 20 minutes. Sort of like high intensity interval training.
Old 07-13-18, 11:46 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Also, there are people that enjoy the sport and simply use the track and their track bikes for training and don't care to race at all. It’s a break from fighting traffic and the car, your gear, and the bathrooms are always just a few meters away

Last edited by carleton; 07-13-18 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-18-18, 09:38 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
What they said!

to answer your question, yes. Track gets me into great shape. For some reason, its easy to ride near my threshold heart rate on the track, but I don't often do that on the road. For our training nights, there is a lot of interval and high intensity training. That is what is required to be a good racer, but that type of HIIT training will make anyone a stronger biker.

We have a new indoor 'dome this year, and boy was I strong when I hit the roads this spring.
Nothing beats time in the saddle for endurance, and of course my endurance heart rate is much lower than what I do at the track. But track makes me a stronger rider.