Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2017 Schwinn Circuit at Target

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

2017 Schwinn Circuit at Target

Old 05-20-18, 11:15 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
I went to Target yesterday and measured it. Tire clearance is probably 60+ mm (even on chainstay). So really great for large tires. Can fit 2.15" tire easily with room to spare.
That's pretty impressive for a road-oriented frame. I wonder if some or part of the geometry is borrowed or shared with other bikes...like maybe they use the same rear triangle on some or all of their bikes and adjust the front triangle for specific use. Either way, it sounds like it could be a good option for an alternative build. Does it use post mount brakes? Or are they IS?
Old 05-20-18, 11:22 AM
Esthetic

Bikes: 2019 Felt FR2 Etap Disc*2017 Wilier Cento10Air Ramato Etap*2020 Trek Domane SL6**2018 Trek ProCaliber 8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
I just couldnt do it. There are better, solid bikes starting at $350. Even a trusty Trek 820 at $380 is a miles better investment and quality.

https://www.performancebike.com/shop...e-2016-31-5025

https://www.performancebike.com/shop...lusive-31-6852

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/bikes-frames/path-pavement-bikes/sport-hybrid-bikes/bike-db-trace-17-31-6848

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain-bikes/cross-country-mountain-bikes/820/820/p/17027/?colorCode=black

Last edited by Esthetic; 05-20-18 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-20-18, 07:42 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
solid bikes with 3x7 (exactly like that Schwinn) and a totally useless boat anchor suspension fork for $150 more?
Old 05-21-18, 05:04 AM
Esthetic

Bikes: 2019 Felt FR2 Etap Disc*2017 Wilier Cento10Air Ramato Etap*2020 Trek Domane SL6**2018 Trek ProCaliber 8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
solid bikes with 3x7 (exactly like that Schwinn) and a totally useless boat anchor suspension fork for $150 more?
$150more? Nice alternate reality maths. The Schwinn is a $300 bike RIGHT NOW, has mounds of parts with no name or manufacturer data , and the aluminum fork doesn't exactly scream quality you know.

Its a solid looking bike but its crazy what a few bucks more gets you, for instance:

The $349 GT Transeo i posted is a $500 quality bike, has:

Shimano 8-speed drivetrain offers 24 speed gearing vs 3x7
Shimano Altus 8-speed rear derailleur vs Tourney
Shimano Altus EF-51 Rapid Fire plus shifters vs bottom barrel
Brakes: Tektro Mechanical vs No Name
GT and name brand finishing kit vs the Schwinn's no name generic that will be rusting in no time
KMC chain vs No Name
75mm (WITH LOCKOUT) makes it more comfortable on trails and more versatile IMO.

You end up with a pretty hydroformed GT frame.

The Fuji comes with SRAM X3 parts which is comparable to Altus/Acera, and Oval Concepts finishing kit.

Nicer put together bikes for not a lot more money. PERIOD.

Its just an example on what you can find. Its 2018 and the internet is a wonderful place to find great deals with fully transparent specifications, no need to pay hundreds of dollars for a box store bike with mystery parts.

Last edited by Esthetic; 05-21-18 at 05:20 AM.
Old 05-21-18, 06:06 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Esthetic
$150more? Nice alternate reality maths. The Schwinn is a $300 bike RIGHT NOW, has mounds of parts with no name or manufacturer data , and the aluminum fork doesn't exactly scream quality you know.

Its a solid looking bike but its crazy what a few bucks more gets you, for instance:

The $349 GT Transeo i posted is a $500 quality bike, has:

Shimano 8-speed drivetrain offers 24 speed gearing vs 3x7
Shimano Altus 8-speed rear derailleur vs Tourney
Shimano Altus EF-51 Rapid Fire plus shifters vs bottom barrel
Brakes: Tektro Mechanical vs No Name
GT and name brand finishing kit vs the Schwinn's no name generic that will be rusting in no time
KMC chain vs No Name
75mm (WITH LOCKOUT) makes it more comfortable on trails and more versatile IMO.

You end up with a pretty hydroformed GT frame.

The Fuji comes with SRAM X3 parts which is comparable to Altus/Acera, and Oval Concepts finishing kit.

Nicer put together bikes for not a lot more money. PERIOD.

Its just an example on what you can find. Its 2018 and the internet is a wonderful place to find great deals with fully transparent specifications, no need to pay hundreds of dollars for a box store bike with mystery parts.
You realize the Schwinn was on sale for $225, not $300?
All the parts are crap, on all the low end bikes. Cable brakes still are cable brakes, a 3x drivetrain still is 3x... with the bikes you listed you get slightly better outdated crap, but sill needs to be thrown away.

I'm not recommending to buy the Schwinn to actually use as is, but also can't recommend paying $150 more and buy those low end bikes. To each their own. Obviously some people are buying at those prices.
Old 05-22-18, 11:18 AM
SouthFLSteve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwinn Phocus 1500

Anyone considering the Circuit ought to give the Schwinn Phocus 1500 a look. It's $300, has upgraded bottom bracket, handlebars and drivetrain components. Otherwise very similar. I bought one and so far very satisfied. Be prepared to do a lot of adjustments on brakes and derailleurs. Of course it's still a cheap bike but a good commuter or introductory bike imo. You can always upgrade components as they wear out or break.
Old 05-22-18, 12:38 PM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by SouthFLSteve
Anyone considering the Circuit ought to give the Schwinn Phocus 1500 a look. It's $300, has upgraded bottom bracket, handlebars and drivetrain components. Otherwise very similar. I bought one and so far very satisfied. Be prepared to do a lot of adjustments on brakes and derailleurs. Of course it's still a cheap bike but a good commuter or introductory bike imo. You can always upgrade components as they wear out or break.
Do you know if they have a version with a flat top tube? That looks like a great deal for something with an 8-speed cassette drivetrain with somewhat decent Shimano parts.
Old 05-22-18, 01:19 PM
SouthFLSteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Do you know if they have a version with a flat top tube? That looks like a great deal for something with an 8-speed cassette drivetrain with somewhat decent Shimano parts.
Not sure exactly what you mean but the top tube is not round. The top of the top tube is pretty flat. The frame on the Circuit is the same so if you pay a visit to Target you should be able to get an idea of what the Phocus would be like.
Old 05-22-18, 02:06 PM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by SouthFLSteve
Not sure exactly what you mean but the top tube is not round. The top of the top tube is pretty flat. The frame on the Circuit is the same so if you pay a visit to Target you should be able to get an idea of what the Phocus would be like.
Sorry; I don't think I was clear. I meant "flat" as in straight across. The Amazon picture showed a step-through frame (more typical of a "women's frame"). I was wondering if you knew of the Phocus came in a straight/flat tube version, more typical of a "men's frame".
Old 05-22-18, 02:20 PM
SouthFLSteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Sorry; I don't think I was clear. I meant "flat" as in straight across. The Amazon picture showed a step-through frame (more typical of a "women's frame"). I was wondering if you knew of the Phocus came in a straight/flat tube version, more typical of a "men's frame".
Oh, OK, I understand now. The Amazon picture shows a woman's frame. Look at the listings on Target's site or Dick's Sporting Goods site. Both of those show the men's version. There is only one size frame, same as the Circuit. Hope this helps.
Old 05-27-18, 08:41 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bionictony
i'm in LA and i'm fine with bikes. i'm the occasional rider, and i do look for deals. i search on CL for giant roam/escapes, trek fxs, cannondale quicks. what i do need is a good 26" mtb 7 speed wheelset for my other bike.
Check out Amazon. Front and rear 26" mountain bike wheel set (aluminum, not steel) for around $60.
Yeah, they are complete, include hubs and spokes, and are even assembled. Oh, they use a freewheel, not a cassette.
A couple of the sellers even include a 7 speed 14-28 freewheel.
Old 08-07-18, 10:54 AM
Joey1986Z

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I came upon this post (and joined the forum) after looking at this Schwinn bike at a closeout store in my area for $175.

Last week I purchased a 2009 Trek 820 in VG condition for $30 at an antique/junk store. It was surrounded by department store bikes in worse shape for $25. I thought it was worth the extra $5.
Old 08-09-18, 11:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Joey1986Z
I came upon this post (and joined the forum) after looking at this Schwinn bike at a closeout store in my area for $175.

Last week I purchased a 2009 Trek 820 in VG condition for $30 at an antique/junk store. It was surrounded by department store bikes in worse shape for $25. I thought it was worth the extra $5.

For some reason, this thread seems to die and get resurrected every three months.
Old 10-16-18, 02:16 AM
340six

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
For some reason, this thread seems to die and get resurrected every three months.
That may be because when a person sees one at Target on sale as I did they Google it. This is the 1st link of discussion at a real forum.
I just tool around on my 1987 Spalding 12 speed a few times a week and go to the Walgreens once a month to drop off and pick up. The doctors wanted me to get out and ride some so am. Just wanted a good solid bike to upgrade to.
I did learn lots from the thread! So thanks and will look around the site
Old 10-16-18, 12:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by 340six
That may be because when a person sees one at Target on sale as I did they Google it. This is the 1st link of discussion at a real forum.
I just tool around on my 1987 Spalding 12 speed a few times a week and go to the Walgreens once a month to drop off and pick up. The doctors wanted me to get out and ride some so am. Just wanted a good solid bike to upgrade to.
I did learn lots from the thread! So thanks and will look around the site

Welcome and good luck!

Now I think Target must have a pretty regular schedule they put this bike on sale. Like, about every 2-3 months, so that's when the thread revives.

Whatever bike you get, may you enjoy happy trails, no flats, and fun coffee breaks!
Old 10-23-18, 12:19 PM
340six

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now not on sale. The sticker say $299 but they have one that looks just like it for $219. So wonder what that deal is?
They scanned both and the price tags were right.