Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I must look better from behind

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I must look better from behind

Old 08-09-18, 06:25 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Tape2012
To be treated like a piece of meat. If you didn't want that kind of attention you would dress more conservatively.
The dress is appropriate for the activity.
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Had a group of kids honk and wave at me yesterday.

Coming from in front, so in theory they could have seen me first , although I presume the closing speed was too high to get a good look at me.

One never really knows what is in their minds.
I have an armed forces jersey that's pretty vivid. Get comment on it every time I wear it.
Old 08-09-18, 10:19 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
After today’s ride no one paid a bit of attention to me it was like there goes that old d guy again
Old 08-10-18, 01:24 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
After today’s ride no one paid a bit of attention to me it was like there goes that old d guy again
Speaking of old guys I used to get passed by this silver haired cyclist, must have been in his late 50s early 60s, that could really lay down the hammer.

On this one day I noticed him about 5 miles further down the road and he was moving just as fast. It was quite remarkable to see someone his age moving at that rate but he was in phenomenal shape.
Old 08-10-18, 02:18 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Speaking of old guys I used to get passed by this silver haired cyclist, must have been in his late 50s early 60s, that could really lay down the hammer.

On this one day I noticed him about 5 miles further down the road and he was moving just as fast. It was quite remarkable to see someone his age moving at that rate but he was in phenomenal shape.
I plan to get stronger and faster the older I get
Old 08-10-18, 03:00 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by TGT1
I met a guy once that was a law professor and would flame forums so his buddy in the sociology dept. could study the reactions.
If you were in on the joke it was really amusing to watch especially since his handle gave it away, "Dr, Kodos" (star trek reference)
Argghhh ... this confirms my worst fears ... that our lives are just being manipulated as part of some grand social experiment. No free will, no true reality ... oh well, could be worse
Old 08-10-18, 12:13 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

Slow twitch rules.
Old 08-10-18, 01:39 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts

In 1999 I rode across the country self contained with a group of 12 others. The strongest rider was 60 Y.O. Because of spine problems resulting from 30 years riding a motorcycle as a CHiP, he was riding a full suspension MTB pulling a B.O.B. trailer. The trailer/dry bag combo empty was at least 18 lbs. in and of itself. His wife had been a seamstress and had made him a large tent we called "the condo." It was old and the zippers finally crapped out. He ditched it in MN and bought himself an 8.5 lb. tent, which was still heavy, even for the time. The way he could fly around with all the weight he was carrying was amazing. I was often his wingman and would sit in his draft many days. I was 34 at the time. I vividly remember he and I and our leader racing up the west slope on Kangamangus in New Hampshire. I came in third. In my defense, I was carrying some heavy B&W camera equipment, including a medium format camera with 3 lenses.
Old 08-12-18, 09:16 AM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Where is this happening? I have a lot of unused vacation time.
For a start anywhere people drunkenly fling beaded necklaces from parade floats while other drunken people nearly kill themselves to catch one, but pretty much any drunk fest in US.
Old 08-13-18, 12:39 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I know the original post was intended to be much more light-hearted than the conversation it has generated, but I'm going to add my two cents anyway.

I recently had a conversation with a female co-worker of mine about this very topic, and I was being a little more candid than I usually am with female acquaintances. She is a cyclist, too, and we are both over 50, so I was telling her how my ambition to tour was waning because, when I pull into a town on my bike and walk into a public place, people don't fawn all over me like they did when I was touring in my 30's, or even early 40's. I commented that now, instead of inviting me to join them for a drink or asking me all about cycling, they look at me like I'm a freak because I have a full head of salt-and-pepper hair and I'm riding a bicycle. I wasn't even talking about women approaching me - and I do not go out on tour looking to be unfaithful to my wife - but she immediately took my comment to mean that women don't come on to me when I am out on the road alone.

"Well, try being a WOMAN over 50!" she replied. "You might as well just be invisible!"

My initial comment was not about flirting or sex with strangers, but I instantly got that she was lamenting over the loss of her youthful appearance and how men no longer check her out when she walks by. As someone who was considered decent-looking in my earlier years, I, too, am wistful of the days when I would walk into a room and feel the eyes of several attractive women staring at me. These days, although I've heard the term "attractive older man" used by 20 and 30-something co-workers to describe me, I feel like I never get a second look - and often don't even get a first look.

My point is that both men and women of our age are constantly, though maybe subconsciously, dealing with the loss of our youth and the rarity of attention from the opposite sex. When the OP heard a woman whistle at him on his bike, he got a little aroused. That doesn't make him a creep and it doesn't mean he feels he has a license to go out cat-calling young women now. Everybody relax. It's just a "cute" story that a lot of us can relate to, whether we want to admit it or not.

Last edited by Papa Tom; 08-13-18 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-13-18, 01:40 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
Originally Posted by dennis336
Lot of interesting responses and perspectives on a very important topic.

Having said that, is no one curious as to how this situation played out? Methinks the OP had no idea what he (OP, you are a he?!?!?) had unleashed with his post.
Yes. I certainly had no idea this would still be an active topic 2 weeks later. As far as what happened is concerned, I made a wide left turn at the intersection and the car with the woman in it wasn't within 15 feet when they past. I didn't even get a good look at the passengers.

I wasn't offended at the comment, mainly because I didn't think they were serious. It never occurred to me that perhaps I should be. I know if I was a woman I might hear this kind of thing all the time and feel different, but I'm not.
Old 08-13-18, 03:04 PM
abramj

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread is great! I ride in a town with bikes everywhere, and I hear all kinds of yelling from time to time, but never got whisled at. I appreciate any compliment even if possibly misdirected a little, or not. So bring it on!

Just a week ago an older family friend told my wife "that Joe just keeps getting more handsome all the time". My wife told me as soon as we got in the car to leave, cause she knew I would love to hear that, even from a gal that's nearly 20 years older!
Old 08-13-18, 03:17 PM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Yes. I certainly had no idea this would still be an active topic 2 weeks later. As far as what happened is concerned, I made a wide left turn at the intersection and the car with the woman in it wasn't within 15 feet when they past. I didn't even get a good look at the passengers.

I wasn't offended at the comment, mainly because I didn't think they were serious. It never occurred to me that perhaps I should be. I know if I was a woman I might hear this kind of thing all the time and feel different, but I'm not.
I hear you ... I appreciate compliments when I can get them but I, too, acknowledge I might feel differently if I was a woman who heard those kinds of things all too frequently.
Old 08-13-18, 03:52 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
"Well, try being a WOMAN over 50!" she replied. "You might as well just be invisible!"

My initial comment was not about flirting or sex with strangers, but I instantly got that she was lamenting over the loss of her youthful appearance and how men no longer check her out when she walks by.
Pardon me for butting in, but no, she was probably talking about being treated like a person.
Old 08-13-18, 04:23 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Pardon me for butting in, but no, she was probably talking about being treated like a person.
No. Based on where she went with the conversation after that, she was talking about not being "noticed" by men anymore. She is a well-accomplished fixture in our department, which is run by women and takes very good care of women. It's actually the MEN in our department who are the targets of discrimination, the type that women and non-white people have to endure just about everywhere else..
Old 08-13-18, 04:47 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
No. Based on where she went with the conversation after that, she was talking about not being "noticed" by men anymore. She is a well-accomplished fixture in our department, which is run by women and takes very good care of women. It's actually the MEN in our department who are the targets of discrimination, the type that women and non-white people have to endure just about everywhere else..
Fair enough.
Old 08-14-18, 01:55 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Going a bit stir crazy as i'm supposed to be crossing snow fields in Montana right now (we couldn't get it together this year), but at 58 i'm finding much amusement here. Some comedy gold.

And now thanks to some of the lamentations on page 4 I can't seem to get that song "Hungry Eyes" outta my head. I' m trying to replace it with Springsteen's "Girls In Their Summer Clothes" but no luck yet.
​​​​​​​
Thanks for that.