Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

'18-19 Specialized Crux BB for SRAM?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-18, 09:41 PM
Metis

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just ordered a new 2019 Crux and want to swap the stock Praxis Works crankset with my SRAM Force 1 crankset. Anyone know what bottom bracket need? Last years model had he SRAM cranksets and it should be the same frame for this year. The Praxis Zayante BB30 crankset uses an M30 bottom bracket which isn't compatible with other cranks (asymmetric spindle diameters).

When I lookup information on the 2018 Crux X1 bottom bracket I find: "For bottom bracket duties, Specialized sticks with their OSBB which is essentially a narrower version of a PF30 bottom bracket."

Hoping to get all my gear swap items ordered along with the bike. Thanks!
Old 08-15-18, 12:32 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Among my numerous grievences with Specialized is how frickin confusing their stated BB specs are. OSBB is a marketing term and has been used to refer to three separate bb shell standards.

www.kogel.cc/blogs/kbba/specialized-osbb-explained is a good explanation.

In your case it's probably effectively bb30.
Old 08-15-18, 10:09 AM
Metis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the link. Really hoping it is a regular BB30 so I can just push in the clips and bearings.

Hoping someone out there has seen the 2019 model and can confirm. Want to get out riding this thing as soon as it arrives!
Old 08-19-18, 11:43 AM
Metis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To clear this up I got a definitive answer from Specialized:

"It uses the OSBB carbon shell. I tend to favor the stuff from Wheels Manufacturing. You can use any of their PF30 options with this spacer setup: https://wheelsmfg.com/bb-cup-spacers...bon-frame.html. They recommend using grease, however, I find that using a bearing retainer like Loctite 609 yields the most longevity in the system."

The Crux OSBB carbon shell is less than the standard 68mm shell width so those spacers are necessary to fit the BB/crankset. Apparently it's the PF30 variant and not the BB30 variant with the bearings placed directly into the frame and held in place with retaining clips.

Now I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it all goes together smoothly!
Old 08-12-23, 02:07 PM
dbelin1971

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hiya Metis , old thread, but I just purchased a used 2019 Crux and would like to know what components worked out for you. The Praxis BB and crankset are extremely noisy and limited for PM option. Cheers!
Old 08-13-23, 07:02 PM
Metis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dbelin1971
Hiya Metis , old thread, but I just purchased a used 2019 Crux and would like to know what components worked out for you. The Praxis BB and crankset are extremely noisy and limited for PM option. Cheers!
Hey dbelin1971 ! Congrats on the new Crux! It's an awesome bike, and I'm still rocking mine for road/gravel/cx.

This has a regular old BB30 bottom bracket. You'll just need to buy a BB30 bottom bracket which includes bearings (size/type 6806-2RS bearings), the retaining clips, and dust covers. Here are a couple that would work:Local bike shop might have some sitting around too - plus they can probably remove that pesky Praxis BB which requires a special tool. The BB30 requires a special tool too which you can pickup on Amazon/eBay pretty cheaply and comes in handy for replacement. Just make sure you get the retaining clips and the dust covers. The third option above is way overpriced but the little circles on the retaining clips make it way easier to install. Once you have the retaining clip/dust covers you can just replace with 6806-2RS / 6806 (same thing) bearings from eBay for ~$10 a pair once they wear down.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-13-23, 07:06 PM
Metis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, and I've completely missed the question, lol. I replaced the crankset with a SRAM Force 22 (same crankset as a Force 1) paired with a Power2Max NGeco power meter. About 25k miles and still working great. The crankarms were ~$100 on eBay and the power meter was ~$400 new. I switch between a 1x and a 2x system a few times a year it works pretty well.

Last edited by Metis; 08-13-23 at 07:09 PM. Reason: syntax
Old 08-21-23, 08:05 AM
dbelin1971

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Metis .

My 2019 Crux Pro has the PF30 variant Praxis M30 BB. I've got the 2 Praxis tools, and am going to try and quiet the NDS of the Praxis BB with some Loctite 609. Otherwise I would consider replacing with a different BB and swapping out the Zayante 1x crankset.