Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding (actual) road bikes on dirt/gravel

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Riding (actual) road bikes on dirt/gravel

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-18, 06:59 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
True, especially when riding a fixed gear off-road. Don't ask how I learned this.

I just now recalled the logging roads in Oregon I used to ride 20 years ago, were made of this really loose gravel called "Madacam", which was difficult or nearly impossible to ride through if your tires were not wide enough, and even then, it wasn't that fun to ride in because it slowed your down so much when you sunk down into it almost an inch while riding a long. Man, I hated that stuff. Practical for logging trucks, but pretty much hell for bicycles, especially when it had just recently been poured.

So when I talk about riding in gravel, I often forget about that stuff. You absolutely need wide tires to make it through that crap, but for me, I find that 28's are fine for almost everything else short of deep mud, deep sand, singletrack, or that cursed Madacam.
Old 08-18-18, 07:13 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cthenn
It just seems to me people are going out of their way to take pure road machines off road.
Not exactly, I don't think. People with road bikes are just willing to take them off road if the opportunity arises. Sure, some may appreciate the perverse nature of taking a road racing bike on a dirt trail (it's instagrammable) but I don't think there's a trend of going out of ones way to do so. Well, maybe there IS a trend to go out of ones way to do instagrammable things....
Old 08-18-18, 09:20 AM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by NameTaken
... I take pics, I share them with friends. I could care less about showing how cool I am or being hip. I'm 38 years old, I earned my street cred a long time ago.
I think it's so cute that you think "street cred" is a thing. And it's great that you are riding, regardless of the surface you ride. If it's fun, you're doing it right. "Street Cred". Hmmmm.
Old 08-18-18, 10:28 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
The point being ...?

I agree with the "if it's fun" part. The best part is not dealing with cars, I'll deal with goatheads, debris, and fist-sized rocks gladly, if it means there's no impatient cars behind me.
Old 08-19-18, 12:41 PM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
I like the idea of having a bike that can do both. My new Synapse Disc Di2 came with Mavic Aksium wheels which I have swapped out for Campy Bora 35 tubulars, leaving me with the Aksiums with 28’s. I can put 32’s on and get a 11-34 cassette which will get me anywhere. The question is how much abuse I want to subject my new bike to! There are sone outstanding rosds on Spruce Knob in WVA which would be sublime....
Old 08-19-18, 12:54 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Forget about road bikes and 28's. Go full gravel.

Just do it. You won't regret it.

-Tim-