Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ditching Strava

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Ditching Strava

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-18, 08:36 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Finally, this thread is beginning to realize its potential.
Old 08-19-18, 09:29 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I remember, because he was saying it to me
Hahaha. That's one of my all time favorite quotes on this website. Every time I see his name I get excited, wondering what new amazing nugget of absurdity I'll get to read this time.
Old 08-19-18, 09:33 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by Maelochs

I won't pretend to have a huge amount of experience ... but in my limited experience, riding a steady pace line takes a good deal of practice. One cannot simply maintain a cadence ... when that wind hits, the lead rider has to increase power to match it. and knowing how much to increase so as to not slow the line or stretch it is not natural or easy. .
Uh, yeah, you can. Keep pedaling at the same cadence. Not that difficult. Yes, you typically have to increase power. But yes, you actually do simply maintain a cadence. And if you want to increase speed without changing gears, you increase cadence.

How is that hard to understand? That's as elementary as it gets on a bicycle.
Old 08-19-18, 09:42 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Every time I see his name I get excited, wondering what new amazing nugget of absurdity I'll get to read this time.
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Yes, you typically have to increase power. But yes, you actually do simply maintain a cadence.
And every time you post i get distressed that i will have to read another lump of absurdity.

If you have to do TWO things then you are not SIMPLY doing ONE thing.

​​​​​​​I know the math gets pretty complex there ......
Old 08-19-18, 09:44 AM
rubiksoval

And every time you post i get distressed that i will have to read another lump of absurdity.

If you have to do TWO things then you are not SIMPLY doing ONE thing.

I know the math gets pretty complex there ......
You're doing a whole lot of things. What you're not doing is changing two things, because maintaining cadence is not changing cadence.

Want to try another math lesson?

And I was referring to Campag4life's quote.

Want to try a reading lesson, too?
Old 08-19-18, 10:22 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I won't pretend to have a huge amount of experience ...
But you never let that stop you from pissing matches w/r/t serious cycling.
Old 08-19-18, 11:12 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Not a paceliner here...

Do pacelines even go the same speed all the time no matter what? I would assume no, and that they go slower up hills or into the wind, for example. Why would slavishly nailing the same exact speed all the time be desirable?
Old 08-19-18, 11:28 AM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti

I'll admit with this year all the Facebook crap they're adding...I'm done paying for it.
when they start doing that I stop following.. "yeah talking about you ZWIFT" dropped their club because of the constant posting.
Old 08-19-18, 01:49 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Not a paceliner here...

Do pacelines even go the same speed all the time no matter what? I would assume no, and that they go slower up hills or into the wind, for example. Why would slavishly nailing the same exact speed all the time be desirable?
Right. They ebb and flow with conditions, hills, wind, turns, people letting gaps go, etc. The bigger the group, the more dynamic/chaotic the paceline.

It's a fluid, constantly evolving situation and the entire premise this paceline tangent is based upon seems to come from two people that don't actually do them. A common theme in this forum.
Old 08-19-18, 08:27 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Finally, this thread is beginning to realize its potential.
You're welcome.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 08-22-18, 09:15 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Is there anyone else besides me who has never had an ounce of interest in Strava?
Yup. Me. I track all of my rides in Garmin Express. I don't really have any interest in what others are doing or competing with them.
Old 08-22-18, 09:47 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I think y'all should get together to really see who cares the least about Strava. Find the one most true, and crown them the one and only "Stravapathetic."

Though now that I think about it, that does sound suspiciously like competition. Perhaps disinterest in Strava is like The Game. Once you think about Strava, Strava has won.

And I mean, going out of your way to post on the internet about how you don't care about Strava... ironic? Just a smidgin?
Old 08-23-18, 03:52 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
I love everything about Strava. If you don’t want to compete with yourself or strangers you aren’t forced to. It’s still useful for tracking your efforts
Old 08-23-18, 07:43 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I think y'all should get together to really see who cares the least about Strava. Find the one most true, and crown them the one and only "Stravapathetic."

Though now that I think about it, that does sound suspiciously like competition. Perhaps disinterest in Strava is like The Game. Once you think about Strava, Strava has won.

And I mean, going out of your way to post on the internet about how you don't care about Strava... ironic? Just a smidgin?
Around here it's the "cool" people that ditched Strava. Anything that is too popular is to be shunned. Anything related to "road" bikes is to be shunned. Anything that doesn't project that ramblin' carefree life is to be shunned. It's really hipster and pretentious. I love Strava
Old 08-23-18, 07:50 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Don't forget the true, hardcore Luddites, who believe any shifting not done with friction may as well be the work of the devil himself. To them, Strava is simply a sign of the impending apocalypse. Also, stay off of their lawn.
Old 08-23-18, 03:21 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope

I'm the least competitive person here, and I challenge anyone to be less competitive than me!

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 08-23-18, 03:43 PM
Maelochs

"Are you cool enough Not to Strava?"

I picture a rope line like outside Studio 54 back in the day, with some snotty doorman saying, "No, sorry, you need to Strava. Your girlfriend can quit it, though."
Old 08-23-18, 04:32 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
There is a certain line going up a twisty hill, that, while possibly the greatest in distance, also is the lowest in rate of ascent. I prefer to take these lines, when possible, in order to conserve as much momentum as possible. Sometimes the line is really hard to see, and you blow it, and lose momentum, and have to find the line again, in order to gain the momentum you lost while doing the least work. If you can somehow get that momentum back, you don't look like some greasy noob.

Liking or not liking Strava is the same way, in that...

in that, um...

okay, I was just trying to kill time waiting for my Strava to upload, and reminiscing about the ride. Carry on. Strava rules.

EDIT: I actually was going to correlate liking or not liking Strava, and the line, but I failed. It just would't have worked, and that would have been weird, and then I would have seemed weird.

EDIT2: I've actually edited this thing, like, 50 times already it feels like. I'm sorry.

Last edited by growlerdinky; 08-23-18 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-23-18, 07:25 PM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
"EDIT: I actually was going to correlate liking or not liking Strava, and the line, but I failed. It just would't have worked, and that would have been weird, and then I would have seemed weird.

EDIT2: I've actually edited this thing, like, 50 times already it feels like. I'm sorry."

There ya have it, folks>>>>*Stravapathetic*!
Old 08-23-18, 07:35 PM
Maelochs

I'm weird but in a good way .....
Old 08-23-18, 08:53 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by chainwhip
"EDIT: I actually was going to correlate liking or not liking Strava, and the line, but I failed. It just would't have worked, and that would have been weird, and then I would have seemed weird.

EDIT2: I've actually edited this thing, like, 50 times already it feels like. I'm sorry."

There ya have it, folks>>>>*Stravapathetic*!

I did it!
EDIT: Did I do it?
Old 08-24-18, 03:08 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
My issue with strava is how do I know if some of these riders are not using ebikes? So I just race against myself and try to improve on my own time which is not needed with strava. Maybe when I get a power meter I'll start using strava.
Old 08-29-18, 03:01 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
How is that? Strava is why I've gotten rid of everything but a light (when needed) on my handlebars. Just hit record and throw the phone in a jersey pocket. It doesn't come out until I stop and hit finish.

Strava has brought a joy back to cycling for me. No more speedo on the handlebars always taunting me with average speed or cadence or anything like that. I just ride, enjoy the trip and then later see how I compare to the same segment from last ride or last year. it's great.
It's just a tool, and the way it impacts a user tells more about that user than it does the tool itself. I'm right there with you - it's my lazy man's log book. And yippee, I don't need to buy or fret over another piece of gear.

Best of all, as an older person who can use all the positive reinforcement possible, me and my IRL friends use it to give each other 'kudos,' which is a nice pat on the back from an old friend who isn't going to otherwise phone me up to compliment me for riding 30 miles on a MUP.

In fact, Strava really simplified a lot of things for me.
Old 08-29-18, 03:30 PM
logical
______

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Anyone experiencing Stravas underhanded tactics to get people to pay more?

I was a premium member before all of this summit stuff happened this past month and I was paying 6 dollars a month for everything that all their new packages offer. I was paying monthly just cause I had premium one month and just let it ride cause I didnt care for paying yearly. But now that this month is over my credit card is suddenly expired(it is not) and I have to resubscribe under one of their new packages. I can no longer pay 6 bucks a month for everything like I did before... instead its 7 dollars a month. But if you want that 6 dollar payment you have to buy in for a whole year. You may be saying "yeah but why not pay the yearly fee if youre going to use it anyway", but I may and I may not. I dont like being forced into a a higher price for the same features I was paying for before. Any monthly people notice this as well?
Old 08-29-18, 03:35 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
I'm the least competitive person here, and I challenge anyone to be less competitive than me!
You are killing it with the one-liners!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.