Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Is there such a thing as too good of a bike?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Is there such a thing as too good of a bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-18, 11:32 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by jbert240
I'm currently retired (65) and looking for a comfortable road bike and would like to get some recommendations as far as frame material and group set. I'm not new to cycling and have owned several bikes, but the last bike I bought was in 1995 which is a Bridgestone XO3 which I still ride. The sheer number of options today is really overwhelming, but I know I want a road bike. I live on the southern coast of Delaware which is virtually flat, and the only obstacle is the occasional stiff winds off the ocean. My ride is usually 20-25 miles every other day weather permitting and end up only using about 4 of my 21 gears. The LBS and some buddies are advising me to get a carbon frame and no lower than the Shimano 105 group set (22 speed) which seems like over kill to me. I rode a Giant Contend 1 yesterday which has aluminum frame and Shimano Sora group set which seems really comfortable and shifted quite well. I will test drive some more bikes this week, but all of this makes me wonder if anybody ever regretted getting to good of a bike that they really didn't need.

OK 1, you are asking about Road bikes, they are being current race bike style trends driven.. Your buddies are going with those , not resisting, as you may be..

... end up only using about 4 of my 21 gears.
Which 4 are those? A Math Answer; count teeth, express as a ratio a:b..

If you want something other than what the marketing/product managers choose for you ,
and get a factory to produce in volume, to lower cost per unit,

Then you are seeking a custom assembly.. combining various manufactured parts..
from many sources..

An option is to combine a bike built around having a Internal gear hub,
so having a smaller speeds count, over a useful range ..

and, perhaps, getting it set up with Drop Bars, the signature feature of Road Bikes, for many people..
This can be done.. Perhaps starting with a good used C&V bike frame,
of the ideal size for (unseen) you..

a 70 year old guy, who rarely leaves any bike I buy, the same
as it came out of the carton.. for 50+ years..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-09-18 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-12-18, 11:31 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I like riding nice bikes, but for me, there is such a thing as 'too good' whenever I want to do anything else, except just ride. Stop to run errands; pass a nice restaurant/shop/museum/swimming hole; self-supported bike touring; load the bike on the car for a week's vacation; even lousy road surfaces, etc. Then the nicer the bike is, the more I'm concerned about theft and weather (my good folder excluded as I can take it nearly everywhere).

Last edited by reppans; 08-12-18 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-12-18, 12:01 PM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Define "better."
There are lighter, smoother, more responsive, more durable and the sky is the limit price wise.
But if are looking for one or two of the qualities, more reasonably priced purchases can be made..
For me, I'm happier with my $300 craigslist specials than I am with the $700 mid-level hybrid I bought after cardiac rehab in 2012.

The hybrid is big, heavy, slow, and MEAN to ride.. whereas I can check pressures in the suspension and tires on one of my Super V's and take off blazin' and not get the snot pounded outta my backside (yeah, I know.. jokes)..
Old 08-12-18, 12:04 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by reppans
I like riding nice bikes, but for me, there is such a thing as 'too good' whenever I want to do anything else, except just ride. Stop to run errands; pass a nice restaurant/shop/museum/swimming hole; self-supported bike touring; load the bike on the car for a week's vacation; even lousy road surfaces, etc. Then the nicer the bike is, the more I'm concerned about theft and weather (my good folder excluded as I can take it nearly everywhere).
You want one machine to do everything .... won't work.

For instance, on a self-supported tour, the cost of the bike is irrelevant to me .... the bike has to be bulletproof. I am not worried about the bike being stolen because it will have everything I need to live, strapped to it ... so i am worried about everything being stolen. It's not like someone wouldn't steal the bike if it had Sora, not 105 .... More likely, the person trying to steal the bike wouldn't know the balance and would drop it and leave it anyway.

If I went to a lake to swim ... again, if the bike were easily stealable, the level of components wouldn't matter ... in that situation you would be looking at opportunistic thieves. Quality of the bike wouldn't matter.

if you cannot tell when I bike is not suited to a riding surface .... I have 23s on a couple bikes ... guess what? They suck on gravel.

Just plain bad pavement? Any bike can handle that unless it isn't safe to ride anyway. If you think your bike cannot ride over bumps ... you should park it.

If you go for a ride and stop at a nice restaurant ... what do you wear while riding? I cannot think of many nice restaurants which would be thrilled to have me clacking in in my cleated shoes, spandex shorts, and sweaty jersey.

And yes ... most people have a bike for bad weather since silt slurry (fine dust in water) will get inside every mechanical part and erode it from within. I have discs on my rain bike too ... makes sense since i will be riding in rain, right?

Basically, I NEVER lock up a bike which would be worth stealing, which a thief would risk arrest to steal, cutting through a lock or chain with a cutting wheel (very loud, attracts attention.) No serious thief is going to bother with anything much less than that .... and any serious lock and chain will defeat any casual thief.

In Fact … there is No bike so cheap that no one would bother stealing it. You could ride a $100 Walmart bike and if you don’t lock it securely, someone would steal it just because they could.

I don't mind riding a good but not great bike on errands or to do anything else.

However -------

Did you read the OP’s post? The OP specified Exactly what kind of riding he was going to do.

Last edited by Maelochs; 08-18-18 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-12-18, 12:23 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
In the Shimano lineup, there is 105 or better, and there is less than 105.

Shimano 105 is where you get the "ride it for thousands of miles" level of quality. Up from 105, you add refinement and weight savings.

Below 105 is the casual rider level. Tiagra is ok and will last a casual rider for a good long time -- possibly the life of their bike since they probably aren't riding that much. Claris isn't great.

CF versus Aluminum in a lower-end bike? Meh... I have an aluminum Cannondale Synapse with 105 groupset. I don't find it lacking anything I really need to be able to ride it all day. And I typically ride it four to five days a week.
Old 08-13-18, 04:56 PM
fitlerbend

Bikes: TREK Stache 5, 2013 Cannonade Carbon 1, DaVinci In2Ition tandem, RANS Screamer, Giant Expressway 1, 1975 Crescent Mark XX, Tern Link 7, Montague Paratrooper, Raleigh Talus 29, Trek LIFT, Novara Randonee, Specialized Fatboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
I over bought a carbon framed bike with an array of goodies. It is a primo bike, I just can't make it go like it is meant to be ridden.

My go-to bike is a steel frame touring bike that has a wide range of gears, a smooth and comfortable ride, and it just fits.

I am 69.
Old 08-13-18, 05:19 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Unless there's a reason to hold back beyond "wasting" the bike, I say don't hold back. Why really care if it's "too good", if you've got the wherewithal?

To answer your open question no I haven't regretted getting too good of a bike, but I haven't actually tried that yet. I won't be second-guessing myself if I eventually do.
Old 08-18-18, 02:18 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by fitlerbend
I over bought a carbon framed bike with an array of goodies. It is a primo bike, I just can't make it go like it is meant to be ridden.
Either you're going to hold the bike back or the bike's going to hold you back. Which would you prefer?
Old 08-18-18, 03:29 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

if you think there is such thing as "too good a bike,' don't buy one that is too good. Not a tough problem to solve.
Old 08-18-18, 07:25 PM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Some buy "aspirational" bikes that they aspire to ride once they've "trained up enough" till then that fancy ride just stays parked in the loungeroom.

I see no problem with that I like eyecandy for home display. (The wife would probably object, but that's her problem if she's got different Interior Decoration ideas )
Old 08-19-18, 10:44 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
If you're locking up the bike outside while at school, commuting to work, etc.,

Then a $$$$ bike is too good and will cause suffering.
Old 08-20-18, 11:29 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
If you like your Bridgestone, you might want to upgrade to a Rivendell Sam Hillborne it's designed by the same guy. I use mine for all kinds of things beside recreation.

Marc
Old 08-21-18, 11:18 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
If the Bridgestone fits, keep it; some XO-3s were lugged double butted cro-mo. Tires can make a big difference, there are some nice tires from Compass that are fast and comfortable. Sure carbon is lighter, but since there are no hills, the weight difference isn't that important.
Old 08-21-18, 03:02 PM
Maelochs

If I had an old Bridgestone, i would respace the rear, and slap on some modern drive train or another .... But if you like D/T friction shifting, all you need to do is clean it up, lube it up, and ride it around.

But then ... I already have an Al and a CF endurance frame with 105.

Is your Bridgestone really comfortable for the entire ride? If so ... what would you be hoping for from a new bike?

As to whether you can get too good a bike ... as has been stated, unless you are planing to park it in high-crime areas, ....No.

But really ... All the stuff works. The thing that matters is getting the right frame size and adjusting all the contact points to suit your body.

I find it more relaxing to ride an endurance frame for longer distances or when I am tired ... but that will change as my fitness level rises or falls. Still, having a tiny bit more weight back is easier on my upper body when i am tired.

The Fuji Gran Fondo or the Giant Defy (CF version of the Contend) might interest you. The Contend, you know you like ... but I sill say, get all the bike you can afford.

You might not use a bike to its limits---I doubt more then a few percent of us do--but you can still appreciate the quality.
Old 08-26-18, 07:00 PM
OldFartCyclist

Location: Pasco, Washington - the brown side of the Pacific NW

Bikes: 2020 SWorks Tarmac SL6 w/ Shimano DA 9100; 2016 Lynskey R240 w/ DA 9100, 2014 SWorks Roubaix w/ DA 9100

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
You will only regret your purchase if it is not good enough. 105 group at a minimum and If you dont have to lift it onto the roof rack, get nice steel or aluminum.
New bikes are fun.
I don't know about nice steel (my old 531 went into the back of my pickup for transport) but my Lynskey is as easy to lift onto my roof rack as my SWorks Roubaix. After Lynskey Ti for 2 years, 531 steel for 40+, and Klein aluminum for 6, with the prices Lynskey has on their website now, why go aluminum or steel?

In response to the thread question - both of my bikes are higher quality than I am. But it gives me something to aspire to!
Old 08-26-18, 07:16 PM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Buy the bike that fits and is most comfortable for your style of riding. And buy from a shop that you like. Everything else is just details.
Agreed. Make sure the bike fits and do not skimp on the lock. The high end stuff will lighten your wallet, and maybe enhance your ego and "bragging rights", but it won't do much else in a realistic manner.

No matter what, get out and ride. Forget about becoming a Tour de France racer and just enjoy the bike and the ride..
Old 08-27-18, 01:17 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I think that it's definitely possible.

Over 100 years ago, before my grandparents married, my grandmother hand made the most beautiful lace tablecloth that I've ever seen. It was too good for everyday use so she saved it for some special occasion like if the pope happened to stop by for dinner. Well, the pope never came so the beautiful table cloth that she worked so hard to hand sew never got used.

Many of us have multiple bikes. If you were to have a special high end bike that you avoid riding because you are afraid of getting it scratched or you are afraid of it being stolen or you just want to save it for a special occasion, that would be too good of a bike.
Old 08-27-18, 03:12 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
If you were to have a special high end bike that you avoid riding because you are afraid of getting it scratched or you are afraid of it being stolen or you just want to save it for a special occasion, that would be too good of a bike.
But if the Pope ever drops in and wants to go for a ride ....
Old 08-27-18, 11:36 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
I would not say that there is too good of a bike but I would say....
....there is too good of a bike to leave in front of a restaurant or store with a cheap lock
....there is too good of a bike to be appreciated by the average rider
....there is too good of a bike to be enjoyed for fear of impacting it's value
....people should not buy bikes that cost more than they can comfortably afford
....buying a really expensive bike is not going to make you an appreciably faster or stronger rider

Having said all that, if you can afford it and you're actually going to use it, get what you want.
Old 08-27-18, 12:10 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
But if the Pope ever drops in and wants to go for a ride ....
Papa Frank has his own bike.

Old 09-02-18, 09:21 AM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by OldFartCyclist
- both of my bikes are higher quality than I am. But it gives me something to aspire to!

I can totally relate! I had inexpensive, recreational bikes for many years. I then pulled the trigger on a carbon Ridley built with Ultegra components and Zipp wheels. I was not worthy of this bike, but I grew into it. When I finally was able to hammer with the big boys, it was like my bike thanked me for it! IMHO, really good wheels make all the difference to any build. I've been going custom for the past 8 or so years - luckily I know a few wheel builders that really know their stuff.
Old 09-02-18, 10:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Papa Frank has his own bike.

Or is he just blessing it since it would take a miracle for someone old and stiff to bend over that far..
bike not a useful thing but for a Photo Op/ .. Neither Italian or Argentine,
(but for the flag decal )

and as John Prine sang a song on the subject, ..
"won't get you into Heaven, any more"

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-02-18 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-02-18, 11:15 AM
Maelochs

Now we know the secret of Peter Sagan's success .....
Old 09-02-18, 12:10 PM
OldFartCyclist

Location: Pasco, Washington - the brown side of the Pacific NW

Bikes: 2020 SWorks Tarmac SL6 w/ Shimano DA 9100; 2016 Lynskey R240 w/ DA 9100, 2014 SWorks Roubaix w/ DA 9100

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by IronM
I can totally relate! I had inexpensive, recreational bikes for many years. I then pulled the trigger on a carbon Ridley built with Ultegra components and Zipp wheels. I was not worthy of this bike, but I grew into it. When I finally was able to hammer with the big boys, it was like my bike thanked me for it! IMHO, really good wheels make all the difference to any build. I've been going custom for the past 8 or so years - luckily I know a few wheel builders that really know their stuff.
And I totally agree with the thought about wheelsets! I put a set of Campy Record wheels on my "73 Peugeot PX10LE (my first "good" bike) and was sold on good wheels. I had a set of Weyless sealed bearing sewup wheels on my Schwinn 531 Volare (AKA "the Japanese Paramount" but with a full Shimano DA groupset. A great bike!) Those wheels were fantastic for their time. I never rode with anyone who could stay with me on a coasting descent. Now I run Mavic Ksyrium Pro Exaliths with aftermarket ceramic bearings and HubDoctor ceramics for the freehub bearings and the notorious freehub bushings. I know there are a lot of Mavic detractors out there, but the Exaliths - properly dialed in, give me great breaking that is comparable to discs in all conditions and have never given me trouble. Mine have run straight and true for 1,000s of miles. Maybe I'm just lucky but I have thousands of miles on various Ksyrium SE, SL, and SLS wheels without problems of any kind. I put the ceramics in about 1,000 miles ago just for an experiment, not a need. The jury is still out as to whether they are a good investment or not. I'm a compulsive tinkerer and working on my bikes is a form of relaxation and recreation for me. I have nearly full-shop capability except for actually building wheels. I don't trust myself enough for that and since I have retired, I don't have the funding to make many mistakes.

The point of this rambling is that in my mind, wheelsets are the best and first upgrade to make. They will make the biggest difference in your feel on the bike. But I have stuck with factory and not custom wheels simply for the experience I've had with high end Mavic sets, maybe I have just been lucky with them. I don't want to go carbon rims due to not having disc compatibility and the poorer wet weather performance of carbon rim brakes so I am sticking with my Exalith wheelsets.
Old 09-02-18, 12:57 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
SInce I ride for fun and fitness, I use the fun formula. If bike A is twice as much as bike B, will I have twice as much fun riding it? If so, bike A is worth it. If not, I pocket the extra dough until I find something else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.