Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-18, 06:41 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Yesterday morning I took the clip on fender equipped Roubaix out for a wet and sandy 63 miles through Weston, Lincoln, Sudbury, stow, Maynard, Wayland, Concord, Carlisle, and Bedford. I could have weighed the dustpan full of sand I wiped off the bike that afternoon. It was still a good ride. Today I cut a few streets off of the same route and ended up with 55 spirited on my R3. Before today's sunny gorgeous afternoon ride I put 8 miles on the 520 while filling the panniers and handlebar basket with produce and similar items from Russo's. Before that I dragged my stuffed Nomad trailer 1.5 miles with my Montare hybrid also with full panniers to and from my local grocery store or as I refer to it as my LGS.
Old 08-20-18, 11:52 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
From Saturday:

The Grant Street bridge project in Lexington ran a bit ahead of schedule, so dismount free zone:

And of course the forbidden LBS across the street:

-mr. bill
Old 08-20-18, 12:42 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
thanks for taking the time to share all that! we were tempted to use a bike share while visiting DC last fall. lots of walking in that town! decided against it at that time but will keep an open mind to all the growing options. ever try those white Zagster bikes in Lexington?

I saw 2 people riding them on the Minuteman this weekend!

Thanks to the post above by @mr_bill I decided to try a LimeBike (I also had an opportunity whether due to circumstances I was faced with either a 40-minute walk or Liming... not that I have anything against walking on a beautiful day). I got one of those moneybag bikes, which I don't think has been ridden before me and took it for a quick jaunt on the bikeway. It was convenient to have this service. It's fine for errands and leisure rides, but I discovered a frustrating lack of gears between #2 and #3 ; nevertheless I was able to keep up downhill with some of the more leisurely roadies. However, my desire to climb Park Ave on one has diminished. Left it near the bike trail next to another LimeBike and both were gone by the late afternoon.

Then, rode to Bedford Depot with wife, and took the kiddo on the back. She had way more fun than usual, and on the way back kept yelling 'on your left' at everyone and everything, it was rather cute... until she started shrieking it at absolutely nothing. Oh well, still a nice ride - very many people out, including some who seemed like 'irregular users' of the trail.
Old 08-20-18, 06:20 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Rode the East Bay bike path on Sunday with hubby. Lots of people out since the weather was so nice. If you haven't been on this path lately, you should check it out. I always found it very bumpy with lots of tree roots. The entire path has been repaved and there isn't a bump on the whole thing.

End of the line.

Last edited by NomarsGirl; 08-21-18 at 05:43 AM.
Old 08-20-18, 08:28 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
they're popping up everywhere. Greenride bike share in Burly VT

Old 08-20-18, 10:21 PM
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on

Bikes: Pinarello F8, Bianchi ∞, Colnago SS, Niner MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back from climbing Mt. Washington. That was fun ...
It's nice to be only a few hours away from such epic mountains.
Old 08-21-18, 04:25 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Panza
Back from climbing Mt. Washington. That was fun ...
It's nice to be only a few hours away from such epic mountains.

How was the weather?

Yesterday was good for biking. I did my usual commute, this time on the Masi.
Old 08-21-18, 08:05 AM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,741 Times in 890 Posts
Resolved Monday's "where shall I ride today?" question with a 35-mile exploratory trip to Deer Island, via Arlington, Medford, Malden, Revere, Winthrop, and Boston (which is to say, Deer Island itself). That choice was, like much else, inspired by a ride SBP (@sherbornpeddler) reported here a couple of years ago. Rode East, of course, so made my customary pilgrimage to the stupa at the Kurukulla Center. I have a naive theory that since the spiritual technology of a prayer flag holds that the prayer is repeated each time the flag waves (or, perhaps, each time it is perceived as having waved), an animated image of the flag waving should also do the trick with each iteration. Unfalsifiable but satisfying, like any good spiritual technology...

Rolled through Medford and Malden and picked up the Northern Strand Community Trail. The community gardens and lending library were in full bloom.

Made my way to Revere Beach, said to be the oldest public beach in America. 50-odd years ago, when I was a car-less undergraduate, I used to ride the Blue Line (you should have seen those fine old antique rail cars, with benches like church pews) out here to take a dip and groove on the townie beach scene.

Rush hour in Winthrop.

Pedal long enough and things change. Long sight lines emphasize that.

A little more pedaling, and Deer Island is under my wheels (the "pictures or it didn't happen" picture).

Big, low-flying planes add their roar to the ocean's in this neighborhood.

The other week, I was out among the harbor islands in a friend's sailboat, and here I am again. I like this better, the bike only leans over when I tell it to...

A Platonic wind turbine (with digesters)

Never far from beauty or chaos here, engineering marvels notwithstanding.

I'd like to thank the MWRA for insuring that a million Eastern Massachusetts toilets don't back up. Life is good.

This ride is, in some sense, a fulfillment of the original Bike to the Sea vision, using the Northern Strand Trail for its intended purpose.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 08-22-18 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-21-18, 08:32 AM
rholland1951

By way of a postscript to the previous report: anybody dubious about the utility of bike lanes should give Revere Street, Revere, a try during rush hour. You and your bike will absolutely be the fastest things on the road.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 08-22-18 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-21-18, 10:09 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Yesterday morning I took the Roubaix out for 25 miles. Today I added a few more by covering side roads in Carlisle paralleling Lowell st adding another 35 on the same bike.
Old 08-21-18, 07:22 PM
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on

Bikes: Pinarello F8, Bianchi ∞, Colnago SS, Niner MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller

How was the weather?

Yesterday was good for biking. I did my usual commute, this time on the Masi.
First time in history the race was delayed. Delayed by 2 hours due to rain. Very wet before and after. A pocket opened up where it wasn't raining and we went for it. Very windy as usual, and cloudy for the majority of the ride. Even the summit was a cloud.

I don't know why I do these mountain climbs when I'm not suited for them. A sprinter clyde at 200lbs.
Old 08-21-18, 10:23 PM
rholland1951

Went for a 19-mile urban ride with my grown daughter, across Arlington, Somerville, Cambridge, the Locks, the North End, the Rose Kennedy Greenway, Cambridge Street, the Esplanade and the South bank of the Charles as far as Harvard, then home via Garden Street, Sherman Street, Rindge Avenue, and the Minuteman. Along the way, we rectified some equipment deficits that had become apparent during last month's NH tour, including stops at Wheelworks for gloves and a new headlight, and at Bicycle Belle for a Terry Liberator saddle. The Carousel on the Greenway was the major goal, and a jolly time was had by all.

We were both impressed by the progress in bicycle infrastructure that has been made in the cities we rode through, something that made this urban ride much more pleasant and approachable.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 08-22-18 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-22-18, 08:35 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by rholland1951
Went for a 19-mile urban ride with my grown daughter, across Arlington, Somerville, Cambridge, the Locks, the North End, the Rose Kennedy Greenway, Cambridge Street, the Esplanade and the South bank of the Charles as far as Harvard, then home via Garden Street, Sherman Street, Rindge Avenue, and the Minuteman. Along the way, we rectified some equipment deficits that had become apparent during last month's NH tour, including stops at Wheelworks for gloves and a new headlight, and at Bicycle Belle for a Terry Liberator saddle. The Carousel on the Greenway was the major goal, and a jolly time was had by all.

We were both impressed by the progress in bicycle infrastructure that has been made in the cities we rode through, something that made this urban ride much more pleasant and approachable.

rod
What a wonderful ride.

Also a wonderful mural at Advance Tire.

-mr. bill
Old 08-22-18, 08:38 AM
rholland1951

Originally Posted by mr_bill
What a wonderful ride.

Also a wonderful mural at Advance Tire.

-mr. bill
Agreed, that mural is a real civic ornament.

rod
Old 08-22-18, 11:03 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

r

ran out for 20 on the BFRT (abridged, round trip Acton to Chelmsford) after work last night

Rod, love the Duck boat pic! Fun!
Old 08-22-18, 11:47 AM
rholland1951

r

ran out for 20 on the BFRT (abridged, round trip Acton to Chelmsford) after work last night

Rod, love the Duck boat pic! Fun!
Night riding season is creeping up on us, for sure...

rod
Old 08-22-18, 12:28 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by rholland1951
Night riding season is creeping up on us, for sure...
yup ditched the kiddie lights for the real thing. used low last night & was sure to tilt it down even tho I still have my wide angle lens & top hood. these riders out here aren't all freaked out by someone using a light like they are on the MM. I even saw a cpl front strobes! I could only chuckle to myself
Old 08-22-18, 02:34 PM
Ghazmh

next door was a cool new kind of bike shop. if you're in the area I’d like to give some attention to Ride Headquarters
11 S Main St, Sherborn, MA 01770 (route 27 where it splits from route 16 aka Washington St)
(route 27 where it splits from route 16 aka Washington St)

hand signals required. not for the faint of heart or inexperienced. having a mirror was very helpful but some situations also benefited from a head turn

it had some very nice high end (45 North) rain shoes? & winter boots. Tempting but I’m sure they were $200 even tho they weren’t marked
shop has very good a/c, drinks & ice cream
bought a pouch type bag for my bike, yikes, expensive, but Hannah was helpful & informative & it looked like they could use some business. interesting name. Check out their organized rides page if you like that sort of thing. the shop is focused as being a start / end point for rides & organizing them providing towels, restroom, repairs, couches, coffee, music & a TV/videos

i popped in there yesterday, Ive been seeking out a shop for my next bike build and considering Seven among a few brands.
Old 08-22-18, 05:44 PM
mr_bill

Way to go Arlington DPW!

-mr. bill
Old 08-22-18, 10:30 PM
rholland1951

Took the Rawland Nordavinden out for a spin on the Minuteman this afternoon, after this morning's downpour was all over except the puddles, and this afternoon's thunderstorms were nothing but probabilities. It occurred to me I was playing Shrodinger's Wet Cat (a non-lethal variant of the famous thought experiment), dry for the moment. The day was fine enough at the start, but began to get a little weird immediately when I got to Arlington Center and encountered Uncle Sam in a cage... I considered the possibility that this was the Arlington Arts Council's latest decoration of the Minuteman, but decided it wasn't their style, too tendentious, and that what I was seeing was probably some sort of restoration work.

Rolling along, I admired the sunny, blue sky decorated with fine, puffy white clouds, warm and breezy, Summer at its most benign.

Lexington Center confronted me with another aspect of this Summer's day: ominous clouds that corresponded to some nasty blotches on the pocket devil's weather radar. Breezy was becoming windy.

I found the opportunity to ride right into a Hudson River School painting to be irresistable; misconstruing the timeliness of the weather radar display probably helped. Off I went. It was a pretty, though darker, ride.

At Bedford Street, I took stock. The sky was lowering in truly Victorian form, and I was reading the weather radar a bit differently now.

I turned around and headed back. Just after transiting Revere Street, I began to notice a little drizzle. This followed an accelerated curriculum and rapidly graduated to shower and then, at the Visitors Center at Meriam Street, to downpour. MOWRRRR! said Shrodinger's Wet Cat. No frogs were actually strangled, however, and I sought shelter under the broad roof of the Lexington Depot.

The storm was fast moving and bounded, and soon enough I was rolling again. I passed the fringe of Arlington's Farmers Market (it being Wednesday), and unlike any other Wednesday, didn't just keep pedaling, but stopped to buy a couple of fresh ears of corn for dinner. I improvised a balanced way to carry the bag between the two hoods of my brake levers. This bike likes a front load anyway, and the corn proved delicious come dinnertime.

East Arlington was completely dry. Shrodinger's Wet Cat purred.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 08-22-18 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-23-18, 07:11 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by mr_bill
[left]Way to go Arlington DPW!
wow, looks like a complicated repair & a thing to keep an eye on in the future. looks like a drop off due to erosion on the outside there

engineering drainage for old railroad beds are kinda interesting to me. from what I remember about many of the unpaved rail trails I've ridden, is that on either side of the rail bed are parallel ditches to carry the water. or the bed is significantly higher than the surrounding landscape, thereby keeping it above water

wonder what problems paving them over creates for engineers. along the new sections of the BFRT they put down fairly wide shoulders of stone dust. but it's already washing away creating deep ruts which could cause a bike crash (if you were to wonder off the paved part)
Old 08-23-18, 07:37 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Ghazmh

i popped in there yesterday, Ive been seeking out a shop for my next bike build and considering Seven among a few brands.
interesting, is that something they can help with?
Old 08-23-18, 08:45 AM
mr_bill

wow, looks like a complicated repair & a thing to keep an eye on in the future. looks like a drop off due to erosion on the outside there

engineering drainage for old railroad beds are kinda interesting to me. from what I remember about many of the unpaved rail trails I've ridden, is that on either side of the rail bed are parallel ditches to carry the water. or the bed is significantly higher than the surrounding landscape, thereby keeping it above water

wonder what problems paving them over creates for engineers. along the new sections of the BFRT they put down fairly wide shoulders of stone dust. but it's already washing away creating deep ruts which could cause a bike crash (if you were to wonder off the paved part)
There is no official link from the Grove Street underpass to the Bikeway.

However, there are two desire paths, one for the Summer St approach and one for the Mass Ave approach.

The Mass Ave approach is very steep (the tree roots make a natural stairway) and you can see some aggregate uh, aggregating at the curb on the road.

So the erosion there is most likely a combination of human footsteps and the far more intense and frequent rainfall we have been getting in recent years.

(We won't talk about the non-ADA compliant "sidewalk" on one side of the underpass and the dead-end "sidewalk" on the other side of the underpass.)

-mr. bill
Old 08-23-18, 09:27 AM
rholland1951

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of informal access points to the Minuteman. The trail wouldn't be as functional without them, but each comes with its own special complexities.

rod
Old 08-23-18, 10:15 AM
rumrunn6

it's all good, even the dead ends, lol. new path, near new lot on the BFRT at Ice House Pond, Acton ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.