Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sram Force or Ultegra?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Sram Force or Ultegra?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-18, 10:49 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Sram Force or Ultegra?

I am looking at getting a new group with rim brakes. I was set on ultegra 8000. It’s pretty cheap at $650 for the group. Should I consider SRAM force? It is lighter from what I’ve read in reviews and apparently their system does not require the Trim function to avoid derailleur rub which is nice. Force is apparently lighter as well. Are there disadvantages to SRAM force I don’t know about that someone would care to comment on.
Old 08-19-18, 11:06 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
I like Sram road groups but they feel and work differently than Shimano. I'd honestly at least go test ride some before committing. Given the opportunity I'd choose to put Force on my current road bike, although my next bike (a wide tire road bike) is either getting Potenza hydraulic of 12 speed Record hydraulic.
Old 08-20-18, 09:36 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Choose cheap or light. Can't go wrong with Shimano or SRAM. Some people have trouble with a SRAM front derailleur and really hate them for its apparent difficulty in adjustment. I have had 0 trouble with SRAM.
Old 08-20-18, 10:18 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Ultegra, no question.
Old 08-20-18, 10:25 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Shimano Ultegra. It's more refined, less noisy, more reliable, and it shifts with precision. SRAM is noted for issues with its front derailleurs . . . but they're not all bad. (Of course, if you go 1x, the SRAM fd is never an issue!) SRAM is a little lighter but it can seem a little cheaply made. But for the weight difference you get the refinement and near silence that Shimano provides.
Old 08-20-18, 10:46 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Choose cheap or light. Can't go wrong with Shimano or SRAM. Some people have trouble with a SRAM front derailleur and really hate them for its apparent difficulty in adjustment. I have had 0 trouble with SRAM.
I've had issues with SRAM FDs. And Shimano FDs. And had my left Rival shifter collapse into a pile of parts (fortunately on the trainer). But, Shimano has cranksets snapping and shift cables fraying and cassettes asploding. So just pick whichever you like.
Old 08-20-18, 10:47 AM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
I like Sram road groups but they feel and work differently than Shimano. I'd honestly at least go test ride some before committing. Given the opportunity I'd choose to put Force on my current road bike, although my next bike (a wide tire road bike) is either getting Potenza hydraulic of 12 speed Record hydraulic.
I have the same question - Ultegra vs. Force. But where do you go test ride a bike with Force?
Old 08-20-18, 10:50 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I have a Force set up & think highly of it. Shorter throw to downshift I think.

Have had Ultegra 3x9- also fine.

If you're a weight weenie then SRAM is preferable, otherwise

it's a lot about the shape of the brake hoods IMO.

Edit: Yes, shift cable lasts longer on SRAM & less of a problem.

Last edited by woodcraft; 08-20-18 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-20-18, 10:52 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Shimano has cranksets snapping and shift cables fraying and cassettes asploding. So just pick whichever you like.
I have yet to actually see one, but I know it was a problem with DA 9000 cassettes.
Old 08-20-18, 11:11 AM
Capo72

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc SRAM eTap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those two choices are going to feel completely different in your hand; hood, levers, reach. I would attempt to try both before making a decision between the two. It's not easy to find SRAM to test ride. I think you can be happy with either choice. My considerations would be in this order:
1. feel in my hands
2. shift quality
3. weight
4. price
Old 08-20-18, 11:19 AM
Pactin

Bikes: Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Debating performance or failure rates is always a can of worms on the internet. Here are the differences as objectively as I can describe:

Shifting - Ultegra has the "lighter" shift action for the rear derailleur, going to harder gears (ie: 12T > 11T). The paddle requires force comparable to pressing the key on a laptop, whereas Sram's paddle needs noticeably more. Also, Sram's shifting indexing mechanism is louder - a CLACK sound as opposed to Shimano's click.

Lever adjustment- Due to the STI mechanism, Ultegra's levers cannot be adjusted individually. If you want the shift paddle moved in, the brake lever must come in also. Force has an indexed adjustment for the shift lever (3 positions iirc), and "infinite" brake lever adjustment via a grub screw.

Brake Lever - Shimano's big lever is responsible for both shifting and braking, and Sram's is a dedicated braking lever. It is possible for the Ultegra lever to swing laterally while pulling the lever for braking.

IMO, the systems' only significant differences are in weight and shift mechanism. That said, the only disadvantage I've found with Sram (Force) is shifting to an easier gear in the rear when I needed it going uphill. The shift takes a bit longer because the lever has to move inboard farther (to initiate the downshift). Had I been on a Shimano system, the downshift would have occurred as quickly as I could push the brake lever in.
Old 08-20-18, 11:45 AM
Reeses

Bikes: Scott CR1 Pro, Eimei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SRAM front derailleurs are fine when you avoid the competitive cyclist shill install method. That being said, my recent experience with ultegra has been pleasant. However seeing that Force is essentially a heavier red, id say Force is nothing to look over as well.

how to install you ask?
cable detached:
1. Align height, 1-2 mm from top of teeth of big chainring
2. Finger tighten screw
3. Manually pull out derailleur
4. Align 2 lines on front and back of cage parallel to that big chainring
5. Fully tighten screw at that rotational adjustment
note: you’ll find that tightening rotates the derailleur a smidge outboard, compensate accordingly.

shimano shifters are a little more ergonomic
sram is a lot lighter which makes a difference on the front
sram takes just a bit more effort to shift but the feel is also there for sram
And of course with sram you get one lever for both up and down shifts instead of two which for me is simpler and faster
Old 08-20-18, 12:23 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Ultegra, no question.
I vote the same!

I don't think either though are a bad choice.
Old 08-20-18, 02:39 PM
cpach

Originally Posted by Robert A
I have the same question - Ultegra vs. Force. But where do you go test ride a bike with Force?
Most shops should have something with Sram road shifters of some kind. Really just get a sense if you like the way doubletap works and the hoods feel. A lot of brands are Shimano across the board except for their 1x hydraulic drop bar bikes, but that'd give you a decent sense for how the shifting works at least. All the Sram road groups work pretty similarly--the biggest jump is from Apex to RIval because Rival gets zeroloss on both shifters--which basically means that the shift lever begins engaging a shift almost immediately as soon as you start moving it.

It is a little annoying how uncommon Sram road is on 2x road bikes. It's good stuff! I also think Shimanoand Campagnolo are good stuff--but they all feel/work different enough for people to have legitimate preferences.
Old 08-20-18, 02:50 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by cpach

It is a little annoying how uncommon Sram road is on 2x road bikes. It's good stuff! I also think Shimanoand Campagnolo are good stuff--but they all feel/work different enough for people to have legitimate preferences.
Shops carry the products that sell.

SRAM sold well at first, but it had some problems, and most shops don’t want to deal with it anymore.
Old 08-20-18, 03:10 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I have Red on one bike and Ultegra on another and I assure you they both function perfectly well. I will never notice the weight difference between the two groupsets though.

Most SRAM FD horror stories are from the old titanium red FD prior to 2012. The newer yaw FD work great.
Old 08-20-18, 03:22 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
IMost SRAM FD horror stories are from the old titanium red FD prior to 2012. The newer yaw FD work great.
+1

SRAM has a history of problems. Their hydraulic brakes, and eTap problems haven’t helped to build consumer confidence.

eTap had so much promise, but they screwed that up
Old 08-20-18, 06:18 PM
bleui

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
the dedicated brake lever and the ergo hood shape is what made me go all SRAM. I never had any major problems with either Rival, Force or Red.
Old 08-20-18, 06:19 PM
ddub

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
+1

SRAM has a history of problems. Their hydraulic brakes, and eTap problems haven’t helped to build consumer confidence.

eTap had so much promise, but they screwed that up
Are you speaking from experience? Do you own SRAM hydro brakes or eTap groupset?
Old 08-20-18, 10:28 PM
cpach

Yeah, I like Sram road because the feel of the shift lever is more distinct. I think in particular 5800/6800 feels a little vague; r8000 and r9100 feel better to me in this regard. I also like the hood shape of Sram road a lot, although, again, R8000/R9100 is an minor but noticeable improvement for Shimano. Sram road shifters are actually serviceable for whatever it's worth.

Sram/Avid's reputation for brakes is in my opinion deserved but also doesn't reflect on all of their products. Elixirs were sensitive to bleed quality and had an unacceptably short service interval for master cylinder service. When one of these comes in and has a weirdly short lever throw and has a slightly squishy sound to the lever, SOP is to replace with cheap Shimano hydros. I personally have a bike out of operation right now for this reason--it's going to get some Deores when I next do an order from Shimano. There was a notable batch of Guide levers that were machined out of spec and would stick badly that caused a ton of warranties. The first generation of Sram road hydro levers had to be recalled. I think their current brake products work well though they're not my personal preference. A lot of people gripe about having to deal with corrosive, toxic?, DOT fluid.

I don't have much experience with eTap.
Old 08-20-18, 11:32 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by ddub
Are you speaking from experience? Do you own SRAM hydro brakes or eTap groupset?
I'm speaking from experience of working on bikes that we have sold. SRAM/Avid hydraulic disc brakes have a long history of sucking, and eTap has a known problem of sleeping derailleurs.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...-sleeping.html