Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

I now have my perfect one-hand bike. At last.

Old 08-28-17, 09:29 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I now have my perfect one-hand bike. At last.

I realize we're all different, but wanted to share this as I've found a solution to my one handed bike issue I've had since becoming a serious cyclist in the 70s.

I have kind-of-a left hand, but no grip. I can't brake at all. I can shift, but it's very awkward. I lean around and push the lever, but it never feels natural, even though I've done it since the advent of brake/shifters

I've solved my problem by rubbing money all over my bike. I realize this won't be feasible for everyone, but perhaps the technology will trickle down to reasonable prices some day and this will supply the ideas someone else can use.

Curtis Corlew in Bicycle Land: SRAM eTap, Praxis 48-32 cranks and the perfect bike ?a review

I hope this provides some inspiration for other problem solver cyclists.
Old 08-29-17, 06:49 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Very nice set up Curtis, I'm strongly considering a Di2 set up for my CAAD10 with what Parkinson's disease is doing to my hands and their grip. Perhaps the SRAM deserves a look also, I have plenty of experience with their derailleurs and Double Tap. Thanks for the report.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 08-31-17 at 05:22 AM.
Old 08-31-17, 05:04 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Great article, thanks for sharing with us.

I really dig what you did with the parts selection to achieve your gearing goal. I have been considering this for my might get built bike. I also like to have a 1:1 ratio on hand. I end up with a cassette worn on the top 5 or so cogs and the whole bottom half is as like new.
Old 09-08-17, 04:08 PM
esther-L

Bikes: tandem, road bike, hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I have poor strength for climbing. I have had a mountain bike cassette and long-cage derailleur installed on every road bike I have owned. I am quite fond of 11x32. I only have 9 and 10 speed cassettes - haven't wanted to go to 11.
Old 09-08-17, 07:59 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Di2 is great. It's like clicking a mouse button, and it's fast and precise. I shift all the time, for slight changes in grade, or even shift the front chainring for a tiny hill that I might have just mashed up in a too-hard gear before. I'll often shift for just a couple of pedal strokes, then shift again.

The optional secondary "sprinter" buttons can be placed anywhere, usually with the small button poking through the bar tape.

Syncro shift
Di2 now has "syncro shift" as an option in the setup. You just shift the rear cogs, and when they get to your pre-set high or low cog number, it shifts the front chainring and also shifts the rear a few cogs to compensate.

You'd never have to use the front shifter buttons.

In this example setup, in the 36 chainring (green arrows), when you shift to the 15 cog, it shifts to the 52 chainring and two rear cogs to the 19 cog.

Then, in the 52 chainring (blue arrows), shifting to the 25 cog shifts the front to the 36 and 2 cogs in the back. These shift points can be easily changed.

~~~

"semi-syncro" moves a couple of rear cogs automatically when the front is shifted.

I just use manual shifting, but I have the "long press" (1/2 second or longer) set to shift 3 rear cogs. So I can hold down the front and rear shifter buttons to shift the front and shift 3 in the rear. It's easy, and I don't have to think about it, it's the two bottom buttons at the base of the hill, and two top buttons at the crest.

Last edited by rm -rf; 09-08-17 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-08-17, 08:02 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Lower gearing

I posted in another thread about my combo 14-32 11-speed cassette. It's every cog from 14 through 20:
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 22 25 28 32

It's perfect for my faster group rides, where I want very close shifts from 17 mph to about 24 mph, but still need to climb steep hills. I spin out at about 30 mph, but that's a good tradeoff.

And I normally have to shift 4 or 5 cogs when changing chainrings, but that's easy with electric shifting.
Old 10-16-17, 03:11 AM
jacobkevin567

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats great man because not every body has the courage to do this
Old 10-30-17, 12:19 PM
oliviathesis

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very cool, and great blog
Old 12-09-17, 09:04 AM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
Curtis: sorry it took me so long to weigh in. I've been off the forum for a bit.

That is a great use of etap for one-handed shifting. It's actually pretty close to the di2 system I've been running for the last four years-remote shifters built into the hood. I converted it over to synchronized this summer, which makes it a one set of buttons only if I want (I still have a set dedicated to shifting only the front ring, cause I was used to it).

Your blog didn't mention what you're doing for brakes and I couldn't tell from the picture. I went with the SRAM hydro rim brakes (the Domane was not disc ready at the time) to reduce the pull pressure that a cable splitter requires (my only hand only has a couple of fully working fingers). SRAM was kind enough to engineer and build a hydraulic splitter. The system has been flawless for more than 25,000 miles of riding. I know SRAM would be glad to
supply you with one if you want to go that route.

I hope you're enjoying the new ride.