Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

New Travoy

Old 11-23-17, 11:09 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
New Travoy

Well, I got my Travoy. $117 out the door using a 20% REI coupon and their free $100 gift card for signing up for the REI master card. I purchased the little wheel guards as well - putting them on was a pain in the butt! The grey fabric on the bottom extension covers the area where the lowest bracket has to go, so you have to fold it back under while you put on that screw. And then the dimensions to the other two anchor brackets are not sized correctly so the wheel guard is too tight on one position and loose on the other. After stretching it and fighting with it a while, I got them on and they look like they will serve their purpose.

First test ride tomorrow - off to restock the larder after we ate everything in the house for Turkey day. I've got an insulated Timbuk2 bag that I am attaching to the top for frozen foodstuffs. Everything else will go in the tote for now.
I noticed the valves on the tires are curved so I'm guessing they are not easily sourced; hope Burley has good parts supplies.

For now, it is going on my Bike Friday New World Tourist which is a 20" folding bike. I've a 16" BF pakiT coming in about 3 weeks and I will move the hitch over to the new bike. My plan - will see if it works - is to ride to the store and fold the bike and hang it on the back side of the Travoy (bike weighs less than 19 lbs) and roll into the store with shopping bags on the front side. Obviously I will keep one hand on it at all times lest it tip over. If that doesn't work out the way I want, then I'll just carry the bike with my shoulder strap but it will be a bit less convenient.

I'm excited to try this out - been wanting one for a long time but not willing to pay nearly $300 for one.
Old 11-27-17, 05:42 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I won't tell you about the one I got for less than $50 new in the box...

Let us know how the Travoy works out for you, pictures would be nice too. I have toyed with the idea of a Brompton and a Travoy to see the world.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 11-27-17, 12:25 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by wahoonc
I won't tell you about the one I got for less than $50 new in the box...

Let us know how the Travoy works out for you, pictures would be nice too. I have toyed with the idea of a Brompton and a Travoy to see the world.

Aaron
Took it out for the first trip to get groceries. LOVED how easy it is to just unclip and roll into the store, and it's narrower than shopping carts so easier to get around in crowds. No more detaching multiple bags, etc. I was amazed at how well it tracks! When I get my bike friday pakiT, I will be strapping it to the travoy and rolling in stores with the bike as well - would work also for a brommie. One of the best things I've gotten in a long time. Kudos on getting one for $50...there are not used ones available I could find so that tells me they are good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0094 (1).jpg (27.7 KB, 97 views)
Old 11-27-17, 12:52 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Took it out for the first trip to get groceries. LOVED how easy it is to just unclip and roll into the store, and it's narrower than shopping carts so easier to get around in crowds. No more detaching multiple bags, etc. I was amazed at how well it tracks! When I get my bike friday pakiT, I will be strapping it to the travoy and rolling in stores with the bike as well - would work also for a brommie. One of the best things I've gotten in a long time. Kudos on getting one for $50...there are not used ones available I could find so that tells me they are good.
Burley is good stuff, they have been around for a long time.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 12-10-17, 11:00 AM
linberl

One problem I noticed when shopping was the lower bag, the tote, is blocked a bit by the upper bag and also hard to get stuff out of for checkout. I bought a 20" x16" thin insulated cooler bag for $12 and use it as a removable liner now. Pop everything in there, pull the liner bag out and set on the checkout shelf, then drop it back inside the tote once rung up. The top bag is easier for the checker to deal with. Added benefit, is I have tripled my cold/frozen food capacity so I can buy pizzas, lol.
Old 12-12-17, 01:06 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
I have been using mine for a few years now. When getting groceries I use an IKEA trash can inside the base bag. And when commuting to work I have a small carry-on suitcase which fits right inside the bag.
I have not decided if I should get any of their other bags. I like the transit bags but these are really expensive.
Unless the new Burley comes with these I also recommend the wheel guards. Otherwise the wheels might be rubbing holes in the bag if that one does not straight. I had to learn it the hard way.
https://burley.com/product/travoy-wheel-guards/
As for the angled valves: You can easily get aftermarket inner tubes with these valves online as these type of wheels are also used on some strollers.

Last edited by Harhir; 12-12-17 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-13-17, 12:05 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by Harhir
I have been using mine for a few years now. When getting groceries I use an IKEA trash can inside the base bag. And when commuting to work I have a small carry-on suitcase which fits right inside the bag.
I have not decided if I should get any of their other bags. I like the transit bags but these are really expensive.
Unless the new Burley comes with these I also recommend the wheel guards. Otherwise the wheels might be rubbing holes in the bag if that one does not straight. I had to learn it the hard way.
https://burley.com/product/travoy-wheel-guards/
As for the angled valves: You can easily get aftermarket inner tubes with these valves online as these type of wheels are also used on some strollers.
Yeah I got the wheel guards because I read about this issue online. I also got the universal accessory straps and use my pannier bags on top; works well. I can't see buying their dedicated bags - overpriced. Appreciate the tip on the stroller tubes; I was wondering about that.