Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Rowan

Old 04-13-18, 09:58 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
This ward has very strict visiting hours because they feel their patients benefit from periods of quiet and rest ... which I can understand. I benefit from periods of quiet and rest too.

Each ward is different.
That may well be a good idea, although I've observed that most visitors aren't that rambunctious and go by the patient's needs, and are also cognisant of others around them. Single or double rooms?

The biggest issue is the intrusiveness of patient monitors. Taking vitals, and checking in on the patients (which is why they're in the hospital). Fortunately many of the basic vitals can be monitored remotely.
Old 04-13-18, 01:46 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Glad to hear he's been moved from ICU! That place is needed of course, but the sooner you get out of it, the better.
Old 04-13-18, 02:41 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
yeah ... i expected good news but it is still a relief when it arrives.
Old 04-13-18, 08:15 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,729 Times in 2,756 Posts
Thank you for keeping us updated, Machka. Positive and healing thoughts to you and Rowan.
Old 04-13-18, 08:40 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
BTW - Rowan's medical staff were quite pleased with his progress regarding breathing on his own.

The first day they had him breathing on his own for an hour, but he was very tired by the end of that. They've explained to me that breathing actually does take some effort.

By the next day he did 8 hours on his own, and then the following day, he started breathing on his own and has just continued.

I've chatted with them about it, and we think that Rowan's fitness level (all the cycling!) helped.
Old 04-13-18, 08:47 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8809 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,715 Posts
BTW - Rowan's medical staff were quite pleased with his progress regarding breathing on his own.

The first day they had him breathing on his own for an hour, but he was very tired by the end of that. They've explained to me that breathing actually does take some effort.

By the next day he did 8 hours on his own, and then the following day, he started breathing on his own and has just continued.

I've chatted with them about it, and we think that Rowan's fitness level (all the cycling!) helped.
Old 04-14-18, 09:27 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts

Outstanding!
Old 04-14-18, 11:02 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Our prayers for both of you. May He hold both of you Dear!
Old 04-14-18, 01:13 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
Great news!
Old 04-14-18, 02:02 PM
CliffordK

It is pretty early now, but keep the bike forums community in mind if you need help finding trikes, tandems, or have other accessibility needs.

Of course, shipping big stuff down-under could be an issue.

Hopefully you're at least able to get in some bike commuting. Don't forget to take care of yourself.
Old 04-14-18, 02:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Tracheotomy, does mean he has a breathing tube opening in his neck, into the trachea.

so as i see other survivors , have to cover it to direct air past the vocal chords to talk .

but might be able to ride the bike after a bit of Physical therapy , just a little slower..

Best wishes from Astoria...

Old 04-14-18, 02:57 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Tracheotomy
Usually a Tracheotomy/Tracheostomy following trauma is a temporary procedure, and is less invasive than intubation for awake/alert patients. It likely will be closed before Rowan is released from the hospital.
Old 04-14-18, 04:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
we shall see.. at least he wasn't smoking, sometimes those folks are bypassing permanent tissue damage ..

I'm Not in the medical field, My mother was a Surgery RN, I'm certainly getting my 'frequent flier' miles in,
between the coast and Portland VA in the shuttle van, provided for Vets..
I see folks from Eugene using the one from there , in the entry lobby..

Old 04-14-18, 05:07 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,674 Times in 827 Posts

Machka, I have been following your thread about Rowan's fall and recovery so far. I don't know what words would help, but I wanted to let you know I was wishing for both of you the best outcome possible, which I am hoping is a full recovery.
Old 04-14-18, 06:36 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts

Seriously, keep the spirits up!
Milo
Old 04-14-18, 07:24 PM
Midland

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
God speed on your family's journey to recovery.
Old 04-14-18, 07:32 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Usually a Tracheotomy/Tracheostomy following trauma is a temporary procedure, and is less invasive than intubation for awake/alert patients. It likely will be closed before Rowan is released from the hospital.
Yes ... that's it.

I think they're actually hoping to have it out in the next 2-3 weeks but there will be several steps to accomplish before that point.

Theoretically, I think they could attach something so that Rowan could talk with it in, but he isn't at that level yet. He hasn't shown any interest in trying to communicate.

He's also still very dependent (he's in the high dependency section of the neurosurgical ward ... 1 nurse to 2 patients) ... so he's being tube fed etc. And while he will does move his legs and the left arm, it's random, he doesn't do it on command. So there's a long way to go yet.
Old 04-14-18, 07:32 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by BobbyG
Machka, I have been following your thread about Rowan's fall and recovery so far. I don't know what words would help, but I wanted to let you know I was wishing for both of you the best outcome possible, which I am hoping is a full recovery.
Thank you ... that's what I am hoping for too.
Old 04-14-18, 10:26 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
It is rewarding to hear that Rowan is making progress! I continue to send you and Rowan healing energy and strength.
Old 04-15-18, 12:02 AM
md11mx

Bikes: Devinci Oslo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Machka,
My prayers to my indigenes Gods are for both of youall repeatedly daily.
Cheers,
David
Way up North
Old 04-15-18, 01:08 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
Rowan has moved from ICU to the neurosurgical ward. A step in the right direction. He should be able to get better night's sleeps and they will likely start physio stuff with him to help him regain strength.

Still chest infection.
Still DVT.
Still not responding much.

But he is watching what goes on around him, frowns when he doesn't like something, and seems to raise his eyebrows when he's interested.

He's also moving both legs and his left arm.

And he's been breathing on his own (through the tracheotomy) for about 72 hours.

This ward move does, however, mean a change to visiting hours so I'll have to make some adjustments.
Good news! My first memories were something I heard in ICU (from a lifelong friend who was studying me for his Phd! No visual at all to go with it. I remember nothing else from that week, thankfully especially the room which was a glass walled empty, bare box with a back wall of floor to ceiling electronics. My next memory was in the ward and included visuals. My memories of people were 3 after hearing those words in ICU; my housemate who I barely knew, my riding partner (whose house I was riding to when I crashed) and my charge nurse. They did not include any family. (My mom was practically living at the hospital.)

Machka, don't take offense if Rowan's early recognitions and memories don't include you. There is a huge random factor after brain injuries. The analogy I use for mine is that I was running an ancient DOS computer (my brain) when my accident occurred. The accident was someone pulling the plug. At the time I was running a program I loaded from a friend's floppy disk. He had to leave, so I gave him his disc back and was still running the program in RAM. Plug pulled, that program was gone, all except a few things I happened to save to the hard drive. (For me, that morning, everything was gone but a note my housemate left for me regarding the club we went to the night before to hear music. I remember the note but nothing of the night before.) When the computer got plugged back in, there was some hardware issues that had to be fixed (I came out of the coma but not all my brain's wiring was repaired until one weekend 4 months later I visited a childhood friend. More on this later. I got home and the next morning it was obvious all the wiring was back.)

Now the other huge thing that happened is while the computer was unplugged, the DIR (directory) command disappeared. Now I had a hard drive (brain) full of a lifetime of facts, all stored in directories but no road map to either find or recall all these lost files or even the directory tree. Now, bumbling around on the keyboard, I would occasionally open a directory by accident and stumble on a file. This would start hours or days of recalling that part of my life. (Great to get the memories back, but the process was VERY draining.)

40 years later, I am still stumbling on directories. It doesn't happen often and now a lot of those directories no longer have much significance but the early years it happened a lot, often in such concentrate4de numbers that having an escape that was completely familiar was an incredible Godsend. For me, it was the bike. My first escape was at the end of my first outpatient PT. After the session I asked if I could ride the exercise bike. It was awful! So not my racing bike! And I was so weak I had to turn the resistance down to zero. But after about 5 minutes, I was spinning the pedals at race speed and forgetting about all the new stuff being thrown at me every minute of the 16 hours I was awake each day. The bicycle never stopped being that escape.

Machka, all head injuries are very different. Rowan's won't look remotely like mine. I just spelled out some of my journey so you will be a little more prepared for the crazy non-sequiturs you are going to witness. Hang in there. I'll be praying for both of you.

Ben
Old 04-15-18, 04:27 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
.......... Machka, don't take offense if Rowan's early recognitions and memories don't include you..............
My wife suffered a "closed head" TBI in our being rear-ended 2007 car crash. To this day she has no recollection of me being at her side at the hospital. Other family members, friends and co-workers......UP she recalls, ME----diddly squat. Only 45 years of marriage this June 2nd and our crash was to the minute we were saying "I DO" exactly 1 week after our anniversary in 2007.
Old 04-15-18, 04:53 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Good news! My first memories were something I heard in ICU (from a lifelong friend who was studying me for his Phd! No visual at all to go with it. I remember nothing else from that week, thankfully especially the room which was a glass walled empty, bare box with a back wall of floor to ceiling electronics. My next memory was in the ward and included visuals. My memories of people were 3 after hearing those words in ICU; my housemate who I barely knew, my riding partner (whose house I was riding to when I crashed) and my charge nurse. They did not include any family. (My mom was practically living at the hospital.)

Machka, don't take offense if Rowan's early recognitions and memories don't include you. There is a huge random factor after brain injuries. The analogy I use for mine is that I was running an ancient DOS computer (my brain) when my accident occurred. The accident was someone pulling the plug. At the time I was running a program I loaded from a friend's floppy disk. He had to leave, so I gave him his disc back and was still running the program in RAM. Plug pulled, that program was gone, all except a few things I happened to save to the hard drive. (For me, that morning, everything was gone but a note my housemate left for me regarding the club we went to the night before to hear music. I remember the note but nothing of the night before.) When the computer got plugged back in, there was some hardware issues that had to be fixed (I came out of the coma but not all my brain's wiring was repaired until one weekend 4 months later I visited a childhood friend. More on this later. I got home and the next morning it was obvious all the wiring was back.)

Now the other huge thing that happened is while the computer was unplugged, the DIR (directory) command disappeared. Now I had a hard drive (brain) full of a lifetime of facts, all stored in directories but no road map to either find or recall all these lost files or even the directory tree. Now, bumbling around on the keyboard, I would occasionally open a directory by accident and stumble on a file. This would start hours or days of recalling that part of my life. (Great to get the memories back, but the process was VERY draining.)

40 years later, I am still stumbling on directories. It doesn't happen often and now a lot of those directories no longer have much significance but the early years it happened a lot, often in such concentrate4de numbers that having an escape that was completely familiar was an incredible Godsend. For me, it was the bike. My first escape was at the end of my first outpatient PT. After the session I asked if I could ride the exercise bike. It was awful! So not my racing bike! And I was so weak I had to turn the resistance down to zero. But after about 5 minutes, I was spinning the pedals at race speed and forgetting about all the new stuff being thrown at me every minute of the 16 hours I was awake each day. The bicycle never stopped being that escape.

Machka, all head injuries are very different. Rowan's won't look remotely like mine. I just spelled out some of my journey so you will be a little more prepared for the crazy non-sequiturs you are going to witness. Hang in there. I'll be praying for both of you.

Ben
Thanks for all of that. I appreciate it and may have more questions as time goes on.

Right now we're going through one or two good days where there seems to be some progress, and one or two days where he either doesn't change or seems to take a step back.

Sleep seems to make a difference. I really do appreciate the strict visiting hours here because he was not sleeping in ICU - so many people coming and going and noise all the time, but apparently he is getting more rest in this next ward, and today for the first time in about 3 days he stayed awake for more than about 10 minutes.
Old 04-15-18, 07:22 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Thanks for the updates, still sending positive vibes your way.
Old 04-15-18, 10:53 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
....Theoretically, I think they could attach something so that Rowan could talk with it in, but he isn't at that level yet. He hasn't shown any interest in trying to communicate....
Machka,

Best wishes from New York. Stay strong.

There is a very small simple device which can be attached to the tracheostomy tube, called a Passy-Muir valve. This is essentially a one way valve which re-directs exhaled air out of the mouth and thus through the vocal cords, rather than out through the tracheostomy. It gives the patient a much improved ability to speak, before the step of actually closing the tracheostomy (decannulation). It can also improve secretion management and oxygenation, by restoring a more normal pattern of airway pressures. Of course Rowan's physician would have to concur that he is ready.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.