Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

NBD! Giant Anyroad Advanced 1 - show me your Anyroad

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-18, 05:37 PM
Rotten

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1986 Schwinn Passage, 1987 Shogun Katana, 2018 Giant Anyroad Advanced, 2013 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 93 Posts

Own an Anyroad either alloy or carbon? Then feel free to post yours, it would be great to have a thread dedicated to all the Anyroads and any mods, tips, or other info.

So I'll start with mine. I picked it up on July 5th on a visit to Colorado to see my grandson. The Anyroad was a gift to myself for reaching a major weight loss goal. I wanted something with a more upright riding positiion without the need to use riser adapter or radical stems with crazy angles. Happy to report that the Anyroad fits that bill perfectly. It has mounting points for fenders and racks including fork rack mounts for lowrider racks.

A selling point for me was the fact that Giant rates the weight limit for the Anyroad at 300 pounds and although I don't forsee any major touring in my future it's good to know that I can add racks easily and do some short light loaded tours I have planned in the future. Most all of the other bikes I had considered had weight limits of either 250 or 275 pounds, even though I am below 250 lbs now it is nice to have that extra weight bearing capacity cushion.

It comes with TRP Sprye mechanical disc brakes, another selling point for me as I prefer mechanical over hydraulic and have TRP Spyke brakes on another bike and am familiar with the adjustment and maintenance needed for them. The one thing that I was not able to discover by searching before seeing the bike in person was the tire clearance, my calipers show 54mm front and 44mm rear, this would leave plenty of clearance for the newer 40mm tires if you are willing to run with minimal (in my opinion) room in the rear.

As this will be my everything bike I have decided to replace the current tubeless tires with Panaracer Pasela PT's, as 90%+ of my riding is done on chip sealed roads and the Paselas I have on another bike are amazing at dampening the rough of the chip seal and that's even though they are only 32mm. I already have the tires and am only waiting on the tubes to be delivered before I do the swap. According to the interwebs the current tubeless tires come in at 640g each so even with a switch to tubed I will lose a few grams of weight.

Speaking of weight this is not the lightest carbon bike in the world but thats fine by me because even loaded with two water bottles, lights, and a loaded seat bag it wtill comes in 5+ lbs lighter than any other of my bikes. I did not get a weight prior to pedals and light mounting but even with those it comes in at just over 25 lbs, considering that I use heavy spd touring pedals and that the wheelset is north of 2500g, I think thats a pretty good number.

Anyway enough of my ramblings it's time for a pic.

I also am waiting for my Giant Neos computer to be delivered. Future upgrades will be minimal as I really love the bike the only one under serious consideration right now is getting a Wolftooth Roadlink and a 11-36 or possibly an 11-40 casette to ease climbing, but I am going ride it as is for a while before making the change.

Be glad to answer any questions about the bike or take closeup pics of anything if your considering an Anyroad.

Please, if you have any Anyroad post pics.
Old 07-15-18, 07:10 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Looks like it has awesome stand over height. Congratulations!
Old 07-15-18, 10:19 PM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
This is a timely thread, as I am waiting for a nice almost-new 2017 Anyroad Comax that I just bought to arrive in the mail. How did you weigh the bike? It's been really difficult for me to find many reviews, but the few that I have seen state that the Anywhere Comax weighs about 22 lbs, even with those heavy wheels. Do you think you have 3 lbs of extra gear on your bike? Did you actually weigh the wheels? My online research comes up with the same ~2500g, and the wheels will be the very first thing I replace....with a new tubeless-ready set from Hunt Bikes @ 1635g. I plan to have them wear Schwalbe G-One All Arounds, either the 35's or the 38's.

Edit. I just noticed that you said you weighed your bike with the water bottles and a loaded seatbag! My goal is to get my bike under 20lbs, stripped weight....just for bragging rights of course. : ) The new wheels will get it close, but probably not all the way.

Last edited by Wattsup; 07-15-18 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-23-18, 03:46 PM
Wattsup

Just got my 2017 Anyroad Comax and weighed it. Fully stock, size large, no pedals, it's 10.1 kg.
Old 08-01-18, 11:42 AM
bo31210

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got a 2018 Anyroad 2 One of the funnest bikes i have ever owned
Old 08-01-18, 05:39 PM
Wattsup

So I finally got my new Hunt wheels, and they're wearing tubeless Hutchinson 700-38 Overides. The bike as you see it (size large) weighs exactly 21.3 lbs, sans pedals. The photo kind of sucks...kind of washed out.

edit: You don't see it. This forum won't let me post a photo unless I've have at least 10 posts under my belt.

Last edited by Wattsup; 08-01-18 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-10-18, 04:46 PM
Wattsup

Ok, so it looks like the forum will let me post photos, so here's my new-to-me, size large, 2017 Anyroad Comax. I replaced the stock seat, wheels and tires with a Brookes Cambrium, Hunt wheels, and Hutchinson Overide 38mm tubeless. I last weighed it before I replaced the seat, and it weighed 21.3 lbs with the stock seat. I'm in the process of optimizing the fit, trying different stems. The bike came with a 109mm stem, about 7 degrees I think. The stem you see there is 90mm, 35 degrees. I really need to go somewhere to get an expert fit. According to the Giant sizing chart, I'm right on the dividing line between large and medium for my height. I also have the bars rotated backwards a little.

Last edited by Wattsup; 08-10-18 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-12-18, 12:36 PM
Rotten

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1986 Schwinn Passage, 1987 Shogun Katana, 2018 Giant Anyroad Advanced, 2013 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Wattsup
Ok, so it looks like the forum will let me post photos, so here's my new-to-me, size large, 2017 Anyroad Comax. I replaced the stock seat, wheels and tires with a Brookes Cambrium, Hunt wheels, and Hutchinson Overide 38mm tubeless. I last weighed it before I replaced the seat, and it weighed 21.3 lbs with the stock seat. I'm in the process of optimizing the fit, trying different stems. The bike came with a 109mm stem, about 7 degrees I think. The stem you see there is 90mm, 35 degrees. I really need to go somewhere to get an expert fit. According to the Giant sizing chart, I'm right on the dividing line between large and medium for my height. I also have the bars rotated backwards a little.
Very nice! The dealer spent the time to 'fit' me on mine but I'm definitely going to invest in a more thorough fit when I can find the nearest experienced fitter.
On my 2018 I replaced the tires with Pasela Protites 35mm rear and 38mm front, They really help deaden the vibration of the chipseal. Also picked up one of the new 11-34 11 speed Shimano cassettes, the spacing on the high end is more what I'm used to and the extra 2 teeth on the low end help me up the hills.
On my second saddle looking for the right one which is part of the reason I want a thorough fit.
Old 08-17-18, 08:54 AM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by Rotten
Very nice! The dealer spent the time to 'fit' me on mine but I'm definitely going to invest in a more thorough fit when I can find the nearest experienced fitter.
On my 2018 I replaced the tires with Pasela Protites 35mm rear and 38mm front, They really help deaden the vibration of the chipseal. Also picked up one of the new 11-34 11 speed Shimano cassettes, the spacing on the high end is more what I'm used to and the extra 2 teeth on the low end help me up the hills.
On my second saddle looking for the right one which is part of the reason I want a thorough fit.
You didn't think the 38mm tire would fit in back? I too was thinking about replacing the cassette with the new 11-34, but as it turns out the 32 teeth on the stock cassette is sufficient for the hills in my area. I didn't get a fit from the dealer because I bought the bike on Ebay....no dealer fit included. : )

One main reason I selected this model is the high stack, but the stock bike still wasn't comfortable enough for me, so I started experimenting with stems. I'm about to throw a Salsa Woodchipper bar into the mix. The bar has about 40mm less reach than the stock bars, so I'm hopeful that with the new bar I can stay with a stem length close to the stock 110mm. I tried a couple of shorter stems, but I think I made the bike a little twitchy as a result. In another thread I talk about my recent experience with mud on pavement...the bike spit me over the handlebars...I'm sure it was my fault but I suspect that the shorter stem contributed to the "fun" that day.