Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thinking about getting "good" tires.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Thinking about getting "good" tires.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-18, 02:30 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Give a pair of Panaracer Gravelking Slicks (not the SKs) a spin. Fun, fast tires. Low rolling resistance, supple, flat protection, light(er), inexpensive, great selection of sizes...

Bikesmiths (Murray Ave, Milwaukee) on ebay(the_bikesmiths) or their own website has great prices. I have a half-dozen pairs of various type from them.

I use those on my gravel bike, while they roll fast for a gravel tire, they are not in the same league as a gp4000s or the like
Old 07-17-18, 02:31 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
When you guys are ready to upgrade your GPsomethings then give a pair of Vittoria Rubino G+ Speed a try.

-Tim-
Scuttlebutt from Dan Empfield and Damon Rinard is those are as fast as the GP4Ks. I want to see how people feel about them after a season or three of use.
Old 07-17-18, 02:36 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
s-works turbos are very similar in RR and feel to the GP4000s with similar flat protection
Indeed, but I have the turbo pros. Does this mean the turbo pros are going to feel/have similar flat resistance compared to the GP4K, SWorks and Pirellis? If so, that would help a lot with my decision.
Old 07-17-18, 03:03 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by smashndash
Indeed, but I have the turbo pros. Does this mean the turbo pros are going to feel/have similar flat resistance compared to the GP4K, SWorks and Pirellis? If so, that would help a lot with my decision.
ah, didn't realize they made a different version, only ever seen the s-works version sold in stores etc
Old 07-17-18, 03:12 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by igosolo
...Schwalbe One tires (not the Pro version) on my new bike and after reading great things about them decided to keep them on there for a while I am blown away by the performance
+1 on the Schwalbe ones. I switched to them after blowing hundreds of dollars on GP4000II's and ending up throwing a number of them away with sidewall cuts, strings at the bead, blow-outs, etc. rendering them unusable. The Schalbe One have been less expensive, far more durable and offered just as much performance.

To the OP: Yes, put the turbos on immediately and you'll notice the performance difference on your next ride. Once you wear those out, get the Schwalbe Ones for your next set and don't look back.
Old 07-17-18, 03:32 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
This is exactly why I wanted to try the Pirellis. They seem to be the first tire that cares about things like road feel and handling, which are pretty important to me. I was hoping someone here would have an opinion as to how well they live up to those promises. But I'm definitely convinced that I should at least try a better tire while it still matters.
Probably aren't going to find a great deal of first-hand experience on the Pirellis yet because they're basically brand new. Pirelli just recently re-entered the bicycle tire market after being absent for years? decades? I forget.

FWIW I wasn't crazy about the Pirellis I had on my car, they were loud and they didn't last long and they had terrible traction after a minor amount of wear. But that's really a useless data point because it tells us nothing about their bike tires.
Old 07-17-18, 03:40 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by goenrdoug
+1 on the Schwalbe ones. I switched to them after blowing hundreds of dollars on GP4000II's and ending up throwing a number of them away with sidewall cuts, strings at the bead, blow-outs, etc. rendering them unusable. The Schalbe One have been less expensive, far more durable and offered just as much performance.

To the OP: Yes, put the turbos on immediately and you'll notice the performance difference on your next ride. Once you wear those out, get the Schwalbe Ones for your next set and don't look back.
The first set of GP 4000's I bought around 2011-2012 had a very bad problem with the loose strings getting wrapped around axles and snagged on brake pads. And then, once the thread was finished unwrapping, I was never sure if the sidewall strength might be compromised by the loss of 4-5 feet of thread. I would imagine it would ...

I have bought 3-4 more pairs since then without having that problem, I think it was a production defect they eventually corrected.
Old 07-17-18, 03:41 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by goenrdoug
You may have just gotten lucky so far, the Schwalbes have even thinner sidewalls than the gp4000s and less sidewall puncture resistance
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...-clincher-2014
Old 07-17-18, 04:01 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I really like Michelin endurance tires, nice ride and some decent puncture protection.
Old 07-17-18, 04:12 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
2011-2012 had a very bad problem with the loose strings getting wrapped around axles and snagged on brake pads. , I think it was a production defect they eventually corrected.
I encountered these problems around the same time (and/or with tires that believably had been on the shelf for long enough to have been from those batches. Given that I spent as much as $65/ea for the damned things, I gave up on them after having been burned enough times in a row.

You may have just gotten lucky so far, the Schwalbes have even thinner sidewalls than the gp4000s and less sidewall puncture resistance
Maybe so, but as @Colnago Mixte said, I wonder if the unraveling threads at the bead reduced the sidewalls' puncture resistance (maybe the hot brake track/rim edge touching the sidewalls without the bit of overlapping thread from the bead resulted in problems? I dunno...)

Interesting tool. It does seem to compare The GP2K with the Schwalbe Ones VERY closely -- even giving the Ones the edge in rolling resistance at 100 PSI and better rating for tread puncture resistance. Overall, however, it looks like it ranks the two tires (at least the 2014 versions) neck-and-neck.
Old 07-17-18, 06:40 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
I use those(Panaracer GKs) on my gravel bike, while they roll fast for a gravel tire, they are not in the same league as a gp4000s or the like
..with the gp4000s running about twice the price of the GKs,,presumably (hopefully) there's some value offered in the increased price. The GKs are certainly a step up from gatorskins at around the same price.
Old 07-17-18, 07:49 PM
redlude97

..with the gp4000s running about twice the price of the GKs,,presumably (hopefully) there's some value offered in the increased price. The GKs are certainly a step up from gatorskins at around the same price.
The gravel kings and GP4000s can both be had for around $30-35
Old 07-17-18, 08:13 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

If you have a link for the gp4000s at $30-$35 please post as I'd like to try them.
Old 07-17-18, 08:16 PM
redlude97

If you have a link for the gp4000s at $30-$35 please post as I'd like to try them.
https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=64447

even cheaper if you order from one of the UK sites
Old 07-17-18, 08:58 PM
Keiffith

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Give a pair of Panaracer Gravelking Slicks (not the SKs) a spin. Fun, fast tires. Low rolling resistance, supple, flat protection, light(er), inexpensive, great selection of sizes...

Bikesmiths (Murray Ave, Milwaukee) on ebay(the_bikesmiths) or their own website has great prices. I have a half-dozen pairs of various type from them.

I was considering these for commuter use, and you convinced me they are a good option. Just hope I can fit the size I want
Old 07-18-18, 01:19 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by San Pedro
I really like Michelin endurance tires, nice ride and some decent puncture protection.
yes but don't fall for any of the pro 3's. the pro 4's are worth the extra cashish.
Old 07-18-18, 02:16 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
The GP4000s II in 25mm size has been awesome for me. No flats but only 100 miles on them if that, and I've definitely run over some glass here and there, knock on wood.
Old 07-18-18, 04:37 AM
fishboat

Originally Posted by Keiffith
I was considering these for commuter use, and you convinced me they are a good option. Just hope I can fit the size I want
I have a gravel tour coming up and mounted a 700x35 GK SK(semi-knobby) on the rear of my gravel bike to see how it fit & felt (have a 700x28 GK slick on the front as I was using it on the bike on the road during another trip). I road to a bike shop yesterday to pick up some parts(gravel bike has a rear rack & bag) & did 60 miles with the 35 GK SK / 28 GK slick combo. I was really surprised how nicely the SK road on pavement..bike felt much better than it has with some road tires.
Old 07-18-18, 05:03 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
I finally rotated off my Gatorskin from the rear, anything will be better then Gatorskins!

I got a GP4k for the front and put my GP4s to the back, both 25mm. I've had great luck with the black chili compound on mtb. Lots of grip and plenty of wear life.
Old 07-18-18, 07:16 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Yep. I typically stock up when there's a sale. Still have a 3 sitting on my shelf from the last time they were 32 bucks... I think from Planet Cyclery? Currently they have them for $36.
Old 07-24-18, 10:09 PM
smashndash

So I'm about to pull the trigger soon enough. I'm gonna go with the Pirellis. But I have one last question for you guys. I want to stagger my tires - 25mm front for aero, weight, sharpness of handling (sidewall flex and pneumatic trail) but 28mm rear for comfort/speed gains from suspension (the roads here are beyond crappy and my aluminum frame/aero post rattle me pretty hard).

Is there any disadvantage other than VERY slight aero losses and weight gain to running a 28mm rear instead of a 25 on a 17mm internal rim? I feel this would benefit most amateurs who aren't riding at 45km/h average. Why isn't this common?
Old 07-24-18, 10:15 PM
redlude97

So I'm about to pull the trigger soon enough. I'm gonna go with the Pirellis. But I have one last question for you guys. I want to stagger my tires - 25mm front for aero, weight, sharpness of handling (sidewall flex and pneumatic trail) but 28mm rear for comfort/speed gains from suspension (the roads here are beyond crappy and my aluminum frame/aero post rattle me pretty hard).

Is there any disadvantage other than VERY slight aero losses and weight gain to running a 28mm rear instead of a 25 on a 17mm internal rim? I feel this would benefit most amateurs who aren't riding at 45km/h average. Why isn't this common?
that's fine, you see it less because a 28 won't clear most brake calipers or frames. I personally have run 23/25 for the same reasons
Old 07-24-18, 11:26 PM
smashndash

that's fine, you see it less because a 28 won't clear most brake calipers or frames. I personally have run 23/25 for the same reasons
Sounds good. A buddy of mine ran 28mms on 21mm internal rims (THICC) on the same frame so I'm not worried about clearance. I already have a bit of trouble pulling my wheels out despite the QR on the caliper but... I think I'll survive.
Old 07-25-18, 12:31 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'm partial to the original Schwalbe One V-Guards, although they're discontinued and the remaining old stock tends to be overpriced. I haven't tried the Pro One version. Great grip and low rolling resistance. They cut easily but resist punctures and even with cuts they don't develop avulsions (puckering with the inside turning out like a hemorrhoid) for weeks or months. I rode one that was cut to pieces much longer than I should have but it was fine.

If you're antsy to try something right now and have $30 burning a hole in your bike budget, buy a set of Continental Ultra Sport II now and ride 'em while you're deciding on better tires. They're really good for the money. They grip just as well as the Schwalbe One V-Guards, and seem to wear a bit better. They're more cut resistant and seem just as puncture resistant despite lacking a puncture shield.

I got a set of Ultra Sport II's earlier this year while trying to decide on replacements for the Schwalbe Ones. Still riding 'em now and can't find a good reason to replace them. If I was racing crits or TTs, sure, maybe, but I'm not and not fast enough for it to matter. Only thing I'd do differently is get them in 700x23. My rims are very narrow and the 700x25 on the front felt a bit splashy so I replaced it with a 700x23. The 700x25 on the back feels fine, cushy but not sluggish on chipseal or smooth pavement (a formerly chipsealed route was just smooth-topped so I've had a chance to compare both over the past year).

One thing -- get a tire bead jack. Some Contis are super tight. A bead jack can remove some cussing from the process. I carry a Kool Stop bead jack in my jersey. Doesn't weigh much, sure was handy twice this year on the road, especially after my shoulder was busted up and I couldn't get much brute leverage.
Old 07-25-18, 06:51 AM
RShantz

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Those treads are for people that won't buy tires without seeing treads on them.
But you have to have tread for grip in the dry - right. Just look at any motorsport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.