Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

What gives more comfort in the rear?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-18, 03:34 AM
sweetspot

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

It seems that bike makers have mainly two options:
Thin and long seat stays mounted on the level of top tube (like salsa warbird) or short seat stays mounted way below top tube (like new specialized diverge). In your opinion and from your experience what is a better solution in terms of rear end comfort? What are pros and cons of each solution? Or as makers of True grit have told nothing beats 40c tire clearance?
Old 07-27-18, 09:03 AM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
There is very little vertical flex in the back end of the common double triangle frame. I suppose a frame with thin and small diameter stays, mounted as high up the seat tube as possible, would hold some small advantage but I wouldn't expect much in the world of real world difference.
Old 07-27-18, 03:06 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
40mm tire definitely has more effect on comfort. If you had a bike with significant flex in the seat stays in combination with rim brakes, you wouldn't like it. Even curvy Hetchins style stays don't flex very much.
Old 07-28-18, 07:54 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
there is the kirk terraplane stay Terraplane Seat Stays | Kirk Frameworks

Old 07-28-18, 08:32 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Ah yes, the bike industry is cyclic, rehashing previous designs.

The amount of tire compression/deflection when riding over bumps is so much greater an amount then the seat stay compression that , IMO, comparing the two is questionable. Andy
Old 07-28-18, 09:12 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Ah yes, the bike industry is cyclic, rehashing previous designs.

The amount of tire compression/deflection when riding over bumps is so much greater an amount then the seat stay compression that , IMO, comparing the two is questionable. Andy
yeap. This point was made by Sheldon many moons ago, and it still mskes sense today. Tire deflection Will be orders of magnitud greater than the frame. This is probably true for discrete bumps which can be modeled as impulses (damped, under-damped and over-damped). A separate issue is constant micro-bumps or road chatter which can be modeled as a high frequency signal. Here the material properties will trump geometry (if we ignore resonance). Geometry is primarily about handling, comfort and secondly about dampening.
Old 07-29-18, 08:49 AM
sweetspot

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
A separate issue is constant micro-bumps or road chatter which can be modeled as a high frequency signal. Here the material properties will trump geometry (if we ignore resonance). Geometry is primarily about handling, comfort and secondly about dampening.
and what Will be better in terms of dealing with Micro bumps: Steel or carbon with additional compounds like look or lapierre are making?
Old 07-29-18, 01:00 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
putting a suspension seat post on is quite effective..

an elastomer 'rubber' block under compression within a mono seat stay design
has been utilized ..

Trek made some frames for Paris Roubaix Race , like that .. chainstay flexes ..

Old 07-29-18, 01:04 PM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Longer chain stays. To exaggerate my point, try captaining a tandem. On a tandem the captain is on a really long truss, the rear wheel is so far back that it makes for a smooth ride for the captain when you hit bumps here and there.
Even a single bike with somewhat longer chain stays, and the rear wheel further back will give a slightly softer ride.
Old 07-29-18, 01:19 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I say that's just confirmation bias at play
Old 07-29-18, 01:29 PM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Let me clarify: If you run over a 3/4" bot dot on a bike with a single bike with 16.5"/ 42cm chain stays The bottom racket will go up about 1/2" with you above it. Compared a tandem, you hit a bot dot and now your rear wheel is about 30" farther back, the length of the lever is greatly longer and I would be surprised if the captains bottom bracket would go up more than a 1/4". longer chain stays = smoother ride.
Old 07-29-18, 10:07 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by sweetspot
and what Will be better in terms of dealing with Micro bumps: Steel or carbon with additional compounds like look or lapierre are making?
I don't know, but it is something that a materials lab can test, and quantify.
Old 07-30-18, 06:17 AM
David Tollefson

Bikes: Many... Up to 9 in the stable now

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
This works pretty well...

Old 07-30-18, 06:13 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
I have tested tire width/profile and pressures on my touring bike and confirm that tire pressure and tire width/profile make very noticeable differences. Not sure chain stay length or curls make any difference at all to the rider. I am sure someone has quantified it in a lab, but out on the road it is all about the tires.
Old 07-30-18, 07:23 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
+100. This is one reason why I never have followed the trend to having the least long chain stays. I like a smooth chain run with less chain/tooth meshing noise and find that really short stays are worse in this.

The single biggest difference one change can make is with the tires. This was common knowledge back in the 1970s (and likely long before that) and only seems to be understood again recently. My cynical side wonders if the industry fashion is more the push or will the next 10 years see a push back to skinny tires (I can see the ads now "less weight" "stiffer side walls" "more aero") Andy
Old 07-31-18, 09:39 AM
mikeread

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
I recently owned an alloy framed bike for a very short time, it was far too harsh and I sold it after a few months. It completely took the fun out of riding.

Even with wider tyres at significantly lower pressures than I usually run (20psi or more lower) it was still uncomfortable,compared to other bikes I ride (steel and titanium)

So in my opinion the frame does make quite a significant difference, the seatpost too.

At the front end I am convinced that the fork and in particular, the bars together make about as much difference as the tyres. You only have to push down on a pair of lightweight bars to see how much give there is and straight bladed forks, beefed up for disk brakes are so unforgiving the might as well be made from scaffold poles.
Old 07-31-18, 11:51 AM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Yeah, frame flexibility can affect comfort, but most of the useful flex occurs in the front triangle, not the rear. And aluminum frames are typically quite stiff.

In order of importance to ride quality...tires (size/pressure), fork stiffness, frame (front triangle). Bar tape and seat cushion can also help. Rear triangle stiffness (vertical) offers minimal opportunity.