Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Changing over to street shoes

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Changing over to street shoes

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-18, 06:55 AM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
I have a pair of C’dale MTB shoes that I use with the spd pedal equipped bikes...touring, MTB and/or road.
I just bought some toe only thingies for my regular pedal equipped bikes.
They capture just the first quarter of whatever shoes I am wearing.
I can pull up on the pedals on the road/touring bikes and not be concerned that I’m not going to able to unclick out of my pedals...the shoes are getting a little lose and it takes a bit more swing to unclip.
Old 07-29-18, 06:57 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Using stiffer sole inserts like Superfeet can help when cycling with lightweight hiking shoes on some pedals.

Sometime in the late 1900s I switched from my old platform pedals to clipless. About ten years later I switched back. After trying both, I found that walking shoes and toe clips fit my travel style better. And for some reason, I got bothered having different pairs of shoes for what are simple activities.
Old 07-29-18, 07:25 AM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Toe thingies...

These.
Old 08-03-18, 11:01 AM
AngeloDolce

Bikes: Many English 3 Speeds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
For the past 6 months I have been riding my touring bike on day trips using platforms and street shoes, and have grown to like the combo. Thinking of moving away from clipless set up in favor of this. Back in the day on long tours we used platforms with street shoes. Any long distance riders have experience with this? If so, are there any serious drawbacks?
I just finished a tour from Portland OR to Los Angeles using platforms and street shoes, no problems.

I've pretty much always ridden in street shoes, used to use toe clips 20 years ago but have been riding other bike with platform pedals since then.
Old 08-03-18, 01:51 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
I hate the idea of having to carry a whole extra pair of shoes and then needing to change them for just walking around, so I would never use clipless pedals on a tour (I don't consider spd shoes to be suitable for any type of extended walking around). I do however prefer to ride with toeclips and straps (with the straps loose) rather than platforms just for keeping my feet mildly retained in the right spot on the pedal. This is especially useful on bumpy gravel/dirt roads where your foot can easily slip off simple platform pedals if you're not careful.

Pulling up on the pedals is not something that I ever do or would want to do.
Old 08-03-18, 02:23 PM
redbagsrambler

Bikes: Trek 520, Bianchi Volpe and too many more to name

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I gave up clipless years ago and went back to toe clips and straps. No regrets. I like having stiff soles when I pedal so I still wear bike specific SPD type shoes, but without installing the cleats. This makes walking around a little easier when off the bike during breaks, etc. I also carry a pair of very lightweight, compressible and comfortable Ecco shoes for when the day's riding is over.
But as others have said, this is all pretty much a personal preference sort of thing.
Old 08-03-18, 02:24 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Platforms and new balance for me!
Old 08-03-18, 05:26 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by manapua_man
I have a pair of Shimano PD-T8000 pedals that I'm pretty happy with on my do-everything CX bike
+1, love mine. Ive used the 324 and 530 as well, like the platform side of these much more.

FWIW, I spent most of France clipped in on the left and riding flats on the right. Occasionally I swapped feet, and I was unclipped on both FAR more than clipped in on both. I've come to realize it simply doesn't matter to me, a stiff sole matters far more than foot retention.

If I were going pure platforms, I really like the Race Face Chesters I have on my fatty.

Originally Posted by davester
I hate the idea of having to carry a whole extra pair of shoes and then needing to change them for just walking around, so I would never use clipless pedals on a tour
SPD negates a lot of that, at least during the day, but I get you. It was a pain carrying a second pair, and even if no one else knew, I still felt my cleats on marble floors....
Old 08-03-18, 07:22 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
are there any serious drawbacks?
Nope. I've done my last couple of tours using flat pedals...no issues.
Old 08-05-18, 03:23 PM
khutch
Sumerian Street Rider

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Fuji Absolute 1.0

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I switched to pinned platforms and five ten shoes two riding seasons, two centuries, two RAGBRAI's ago and I am perfectly happy with them for any distance I can ride in one day or on consecutive days. It's a wonderful way to power a bicycle as long as you're not trying to win the Tour.
Old 08-07-18, 09:03 AM
DIY masochist

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, 1977 Motobecane Super Mirage

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I put BMX pedals with velcro straps on my touring bike and I'm a total convert. They're wide enough for size 13 street shoes, way easier to adjust than clip/straps, and you can still pull up on them when you want to. You can also ride them upside down until you get up to speed and flip in.
Old 08-13-18, 09:53 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
BMX pedals with pins from Nashbar and whatever shoes I feel like wearing. I like the freedom of moving my foot around as well as just being able to take my foot off the pedal when I stop. Stopped using clipless years ago, but still have some toe clip and pedals in the garage, though I don't use them anymore.
Old 08-13-18, 10:39 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I did forget one big drawback: you'll have loads of people on trails and rrst areas the country over telling you you should really get a set of clipless, for reasons X, Y, and Z

Originally Posted by jackb
BMX pedals with pins from Nashbar
I thought BMX bikes used a bit different pedal threading size (1/2"), is this not actually the case?
Old 08-13-18, 11:29 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
a 3 piece crank & BB is offered , on many BMX bikes these days,
not all are one piece.
Old 08-13-18, 11:40 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by khutch
I switched to pinned platforms and five ten shoes two riding seasons, two centuries, two RAGBRAI's ago and I am perfectly happy with them for any distance I can ride in one day or on consecutive days. It's a wonderful way to power a bicycle as long as you're not trying to win the Tour.
+1. I've successfully toured with this combination on my Surly Troll and Shimano Saint pedals. Also, I just acquire a new (to me) touring bike with original pedals. I thought I would try them out, especially as they were outfitted with MKS Half Cages. I also switched to Freerider Pros, which have a stiffer sole than the regular Freeriders I had used. Fabulous combination.

Old 08-14-18, 11:27 AM
zacharyhoyt

Bikes: 1998 Trek 520

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do my biking in the summer in sandals and in winter in boots. I have size 16 feet, so bike shoes are not an easy or affordable option and I have never worn them. My longest day was last summer in sandals, 117 miles towing a canoe. I did have a tailwind, though I also gained about 1500 feet over the day. I find sandals very comfortable for riding, they let the air and water in and out easily and they make it easy to hop into a convenient river or lake to cool off without having to worry about socks and shoes.
Zach
Old 08-14-18, 03:37 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
I used Tri-Color 600 semi-platforms for quite awhile, then scored some Deore DX platforms a couple months ago. These have the teeth for grip, and the smoothest bearings I could ask for. 😘
The only drawback, the bearing assembly and spindle body, are definitely directional. Meaning, they weigh more leaning in one direction than the other, so you have to get your feet on right. I'm probably not saying that the way I mean, lol.
Old 08-14-18, 08:04 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by zacharyhoyt
I do my biking in the summer in sandals and in winter in boots. I have size 16 feet, so bike shoes are not an easy or affordable option and I have never worn them. My longest day was last summer in sandals, 117 miles towing a canoe. I did have a tailwind, though I also gained about 1500 feet over the day. I find sandals very comfortable for riding, they let the air and water in and out easily and they make it easy to hop into a convenient river or lake to cool off without having to worry about socks and shoes.
Zach
Out of curiosity I looked up large size bike shoes--Shimano & Sidi supposedly make some 50/52 size but they seem hard to find. Customs are pricey of course. But I find that street sandals can work pretty well for cycling; with a couple pairs of wool socks they're good down to ~25° F.
Old 08-14-18, 08:30 PM
Bang0Bang00
41 calories/30 min typing

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ynot?

https://www.ynotmade.com/en/shop/pedalstrap/

Hopefully someone mentioned these already.

There are few pieces of equipment I'd trust my life to. City Commuting in traffic on a fixed in running/skateboarding shoes with these is doing just that. I've been riding them for a few years. Love them.

Great design. Great build quality. I would sell all my clipless stuff if I wasn't planning on going back to the track. They take a bit to break in or adjust, but that's because they're rock solid.

They're worth every penny.
Old 08-15-18, 07:55 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Zacharyhoyt, I commute in sandals almost exclusively, and in cold weather I use light hikers. Can't say enough good about sandals for riding. Never considered them for long distance stuff, but now that has changed.
Old 08-15-18, 08:08 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Bang0Bang00
https://www.ynotmade.com/en/shop/pedalstrap/

Hopefully someone mentioned these already.

There are few pieces of equipment I'd trust my life to. City Commuting in traffic on a fixed in running/skateboarding shoes with these is doing just that. I've been riding them for a few years. Love them.

Great design. Great build quality. I would sell all my clipless stuff if I wasn't planning on going back to the track. They take a bit to break in or adjust, but that's because they're rock solid.

They're worth every penny.
They look more substantial than the Power Grips & with 2 mounting straps (vs 1 large one) perhaps easier to fit on avg pedal.
Old 08-15-18, 08:35 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
I'm not a big tour guy like others but I ride 300-450 a month and I've done a few 5 day 400 milers. I can do either clipless or platforms on long tour style riding with no problem with either. My clipless setup is dual sided PD-T8000 and SPD sandals and my non clipless setup is platforms with some type of breathing draining water shoe like the Columbia Drainmaker. When I go clipless, the sandals are all I need and good off bike comfort and only minor clicking and have no need to carry additional shoes. I wear them riding in winter, summer, dry, wet, on and off road. Adjust or change socks based on conditions.
My thoughts on dual sided pedals... I love them when I have SPD shoes, I can clip or not. I don't like them with regular shoes, I get the clip side way too much and have to fiddle with it. Even with the T8000 that has a top notch real platform side. If I want to use my regular shoes for a day ride or trip, I spend 5 minutes and swap pedals.

Everyone has their reasons. None of which may be an other persons reasons. I don't have foot pain issues with even the softest flimsy shoes so the choice is nice.

Last edited by u235; 08-15-18 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-15-18, 09:44 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
I wear Shimano SPD trekking boots, MT-09s. no problems doing long hikes in those. Vibram soles. Until the soles really wear out the cleats are just below the surface. I carry the inserts to replace the cleats for long hikes on rough country. Our longest hike last trip was 15km return, with 1480m elevation gain. So yeah, steep and long, (and in bear country). I'll fit the cleats when we finish travelling at the start of a trip, and if we are doing something like a days hiking or returning home I put the covers back on. Basically the MT-09 has the same sole stiffness as my Scarpa SLs , which is what good hiking boots need, a stiff sole. Never had any foot problems but did get the usual screaming walking muscles from being aerobically fit from the bike, but using untrained walking muscles.... The other bonus is they are Goretex lined. If you put your rain pants over the top your feet stay dry when you are riding.
I did tour in a pair of 5Tens once, one of the soles broke in half when I was hiking, which kind of sucked, luckily it was near the end of a tour. Plus the thing that made them good with pinned pedals, the flat sticky soles meant they were as slippery as anything on mud and wet rocks.
Old 08-15-18, 09:49 PM
Bang0Bang00
41 calories/30 min typing

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
They look more substantial than the Power Grips & with 2 mounting straps (vs 1 large one) perhaps easier to fit on avg pedal.
Exactly! I took a close look at the imitation brands trying to save a few bucks and it's just not worth it. The difference in quality of the webbing is extreme.

Huge range in shoe accommodation too.

Velcro works for NASA, so Ynot?

I'm sorry. You're welcome.