Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Group Riding.......No Fun Anymore

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-18, 07:32 AM
slorollin

Bikes: '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

At 63 with the various orthopedic issues that accompany this advanced state I've decided to no longer participate in ANY group rides. Every fall I've taken in the last few years has been caused by a less experienced rider taking me out with the exception of one dog bite. An injury can linger for months and months. From now on, if I'm going down it will be due to my own ineptitude.
Old 08-12-18, 09:36 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I understand how you feel. I'm careful of other riders on club rides or solo rides on the bike path, of geese, squirrels, feral cats, though chipmunks don't worry me. From my own experience I know it does not take much to but a bike down. Riding in close proximity to other people is all by itself an increase in risk. To my mind, the answer is to allow enough space to provide reaction time.
Old 08-12-18, 02:47 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
Maybe you're riding with the wrong group. My solution has been to form my own group.
Old 08-12-18, 03:09 PM
slorollin

Bikes: '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
No, no more groups for me. I've become a curmudgeon with little patience and fragile parts that never heal. The aggravation outweighs the reward. So, rather than being annoyed and annoying others with my poor attitude ........

I ride alone
Yeaaaah all by myself
You know when I ride alone
I prefer to be by myself
Old 08-12-18, 03:32 PM
chelvel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slorollin
I ride alone
Me too. 2 - my maximum.
Old 08-12-18, 05:39 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Groups are great but at a certain point I need a break from all the social interaction. Melancholics don't do well in social situations.

After two or three group rides I'm ready for some long solo rides in the middle of nowhere, the further away the better.

A friend said that his bike is a "Two wheeled cloister."

-Tim-
Old 08-12-18, 06:06 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Riding alone is a valid choice, although another is to not ride in close proximity to inexperienced cyclists.That's the basis of the pacelining rule to never ride in a strange group or let strange riders into your group.
Old 08-12-18, 06:12 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
Maybe you're riding with the wrong group. My solution has been to form my own group.
This.

I stopped riding years ago with the local club when some of the rides had 15 or more and it became a fuster cluck of skills and stupidity. Nice people, many good friends and good riders but frequently some unknowns as well.

Biggest group for me know is at most 5 close friends who all share the same speed and skills and after 15+ years together know each other’s moves. Still, I had 2 near misses today with only one other rider as we separately thought we were turning, one going straight, one almost did, etc... nobody went down. All about communication, which is tough in big groups.

Old 08-12-18, 08:26 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8273 Post(s)
Liked 9,028 Times in 4,469 Posts
I'm having trouble keeping up with the group these days, this after doing 100 group rides per year for many years. Sucks getting old.

I will say that groups of 50 are too big but 25 of the right riders is a hoot.
Old 08-12-18, 08:30 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Meh, I've fired whole groups of people mid-ride, telling them off, making it extremely clear exactly why they are dangerous idiots. No biggie. Find another group and move on. In my experience, the most dangerous riders are men and women 30-50, in "B" groups, who think they actually know what they're doing. "C" and below know better and the people in "A" groups and above are mostly totally predictable.
Old 08-12-18, 08:46 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,524 Times in 3,026 Posts
I ride solo because no one around here rides bikes. Getting away from everything for a few hours and zoning out with an endorphin buzz is a great thing.
Old 08-12-18, 08:49 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I got a little radio...
Old 08-12-18, 11:54 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I enjoy energetic group rides but it's hard to find just the right riding partners. The smaller the group, as few as just a couple of people, the easier it is to find compatible folks and ride safely.

The only real problems I've seen in groups are large group events with a mix of inexperienced riders, casual but safe cyclists and faster but reckless riders who dart between slower riders rather than going around the outside.

I can keep up with the local fast club's B-group now, but only with maximum effort. That's dangerous. I prefer to have plenty of margin for reserve so my awareness and reflexes are there to react to anything unexpected. Hard to do when I'm gasping for breath and legs are burning from effort. I hang at the back so I'm not the weak link. But then I'm constantly sprinting to close gaps to a reasonable distance to stay more or less in the draft. Not worth the risk, especially on one of their regular routes that uses a narrow, twisty, heavily traveled part of the MUP. They have a safer but longer weekend route. Hard to keep up for their 50-60 mile distance. If they stuck with the posted 15 mph limit, no problem. I can sustain that on my own or in a group over distance. But it usually pushes to 17-18 mph, just enough to be maximum possible effort for me. It's just not the right group for me.

Most of my cycling friends are casual riders, a much slower and easier pace. That's fine for casual group rides. But occasionally I'd enjoy a little more spirited pace that everyone can stay together with, safely.

I know a couple of great guys who'd be fun to ride with, and they wouldn't complain about my speed, but I know from checking Strava their usual average is 20 mph or so. I don't want to put a crimp on their style. They have jobs, families and limited riding time, and having to loaf along at my 15-16 mph pace probably wouldn't be much fun for them.

I do have a few friends who ride at a pace I like and are safe, experienced riders. But they prefer city routes while I prefer the more lightly trafficked semi-rural routes on my end of town.

One compromise I can make is to change clipless systems. I use old school Look pedals and cleats. Great for uninterrupted high effort rides. But they're not great for stop and go, lots of unclipping and re-clipping in traffic. The exposed cleats and slick soles are like ice skates. I have to be extremely careful and conscious of every move. Everyone I know suggests switching to SPD and mountain bike type shoes that I can walk in or put a foot down with confidence on traffic stops.

That compromise would probably be better for riding with those folks. So it's really up to me to compromise to suit the conditions.
Old 08-13-18, 12:40 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
BTW, I just saw some photos from a large gravel event that would make me hesitate to ride in some groups. In one photo a group of about 10 cyclists were closely spaced behind a lead rider whose arms were draped across the inner center of the top of the drop bar.

Yeah, it's more aero. Yeah, lots of pros do it. Yeah, it's probably okay on pavement with experienced riders who aren't tightly packed in a pace line.

But on gravel, with an ad hoc group of riders who only have being strong and fast in common? Nope.

I already pull well to the side of anyone I see using aero bars in group rides, even on pavement. Unless it's a time trial or solo training ride, I just can't see any sense in using aero bars in a pack. Shouldn't even be used on MUPs which are mostly just narrow sidewalks.

That would be my main pet peeve in any group ride.
Old 08-13-18, 12:43 AM
Rodas23

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ll be in the back just in case
Old 08-13-18, 02:05 AM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Not a huge fan of group rides.
The LBS rides have had a few “wrecks and injuries” from riders not paying attention or just lack of “safe” riding experience. The increased level of risk riding within a group of novice riders is just not worth an injury requiring long term recovery and an expensive bike repair. My wife and I ride together, other than that I ride solo or with a select few.

Last edited by Patriot1; 08-27-18 at 05:55 AM.
Old 08-13-18, 07:12 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I'v gotten to the point where I don't really want to do group rides. If "group" means 3 or 4 riders I trust, I'm all in. But, my club's rides can be scary. Usually the club's Saturday B ride is a dozen or more riders of varying skill and awareness. I just don't trust them and would much rather ride alone or with a couple capable riders.
Old 08-13-18, 07:18 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
As I'm out there alone 90% of the time, and the other 10% is with my wife, I sometimes think it might be nice to ride with like... other people every once in awhile.

And then I do, and the bike handling skills of strangers absolutely terrifies me, so I end up riding by myself, about 30 feet behind the group.

So much crossing over. So much half-wheeling. <shudder>
Old 08-13-18, 07:23 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
A little story....last year I was on a typical club B ride with about a dozen other riders. As we were on a flat, in a line at 20+ mph, I was leaving a bit of a gap between me and the rider in front of me. A former local racer and very skilled rider came off my wheel to fill the gap. I stayed on his wheel. After the ride I said to him, "You didn't like that gap?" He said, "Yeah." I explained, "I know that guy and I don't trust that wheel. I'm sure your skill level is higher than mine but I'm just not going to be on that wheel." BTW, the ex-racers in the club have said that my skills are solid. But, as has been stated, one bad move by an inept rider can take a lot of riders out. Just another reason I don't like recreational group riding.
Old 08-13-18, 07:59 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts

I ride alone
Yeaaaah all by myself
I prefer to be by myself
You beat me to it. That’s my well worn line.

I dont do group rides. If I do, I make a quick looksie at the bikes to see if I’m riding along. Me? I prefer a small paceline.
Old 08-13-18, 08:36 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Looks like a bunch of curmudgeons here, but I'm there also. I like group rides, every once in awhile to do something different, but I can do without the sketchiness, stops and regrouping, egos, etc etc. One of the joys of riding, for me, are the few hours of solitude.
Old 08-13-18, 08:49 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
I guess I'm the exception ... I love riding with other people.

But there is a caveat. Most of the group rides I do are in the mountains where you're either going up or down. When we're going up, the speeds are low and crashes infrequent and people space out well. When we are going down, the speeds are high and I keep my distance.

It's the group rides going 18-22 MPH on the flats that are of concern, and I don't do much of that.

Old 08-13-18, 08:50 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
No, no more groups for me. I've become a curmudgeon with little patience and fragile parts that never heal. The aggravation outweighs the reward. So, rather than being annoyed and annoying others with my poor attitude ........

I ride alone
Yeaaaah all by myself
I prefer to be by myself
Ah, lonesome George. Awesome in concert, if you ever get the chance.

Old 08-13-18, 08:55 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
Last Thursday I had 12:02:56 of pedaling alone time with me, myself and I and tunes from the iPod on my 2018 Roubaix Expert. It's very nice not worrying about wheel overlap or riding too fast/slow being dictated by others. Unlike many here, I still enjoy group rides where being physically challenged does increase the ride experience. Having to go beyond one's self imposed limits still holds some fascination for this 68yo rider. I do enjoy riding a 100 miler in under 5 hours employing drafting since solo riding requires sooo much more time on the saddle. Most likely had I been on my Propel the 201.18 miles would have gone by in far less of a time frame last Thursday, but there is something physically beneficial about riding a heavier bike and keeping one's heart rate down when temps feel like triple digits due to high humidity.

It's easily a "ride what you like and how you like" for maximum enjoyment. We've earned it.
Old 08-13-18, 11:45 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I understand about being slow to heal. These days bruises seem to stay blue for weeks or longer. Skin gets noticeably thin past a certain age. I'm getting reluctant to shave as there is usually more than one cut. I'm thinking about growing a beard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.