Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Aero bikes for “average” rider - any real advantage?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Aero bikes for “average” rider - any real advantage?

Old 08-14-18, 06:58 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
All this back and forth on whether aero bikes are slightly faster is missing the forest for the trees that fall in it: is there an advantage to a non-competitive cyclist finishing a training ride a minute or two sooner?
Old 08-14-18, 06:59 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
All this back and forth on whether aero bikes are slightly faster is missing the forest for the trees that fall in it: is there an advantage to a non-competitive cyclist finishing a training ride a minute or two sooner?
Do you really believe there's one single answer to that question? Everyone has to answer for themselves.
Old 08-14-18, 07:11 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by asgelle
Do you really believe there's one single answer to that question? Everyone has to answer for themselves.
I'd love to hear a concrete reason why it's important to anyone to save that sort of time on a training ride, so yes, I do believe there's a single answer. Even you've failed to say you care about shaving a minute off your training ride; you hang your entire argument on "there is a difference" not "yes I want to be a little bit faster on non-competitive rides".

And if you want to take the waffling "everyone has to answer that themselves" approach, you've wasted a lot of time and effort attempting to convince everyone else that your "single answer" is correct. Further, you deliver it with a massive dose of self-righteous passive-aggressiveness, which is what I've seen from you in the other threads you've partaken in lately.
Old 08-14-18, 07:17 AM
asgelle

I'd love to hear a concrete reason why it's important to anyone to save that sort of time on a training ride, so yes, I do believe there's a single answer. Even you've failed to say you care about shaving a minute off your training ride; you hang your entire argument on "there is a difference" not "yes I want to be a little bit faster on non-competitive rides".
My "argument," as you call it, is that everyone has to decide for themselves, and all we can do is present what difference particular choices make so the decision is an informed one. My choice in equipment, how I balance my own unique priorities, is no more relevant to anyone else than my shoe size.
Old 08-14-18, 07:40 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I'd love to hear a concrete reason why it's important to anyone to save that sort of time on a training ride, so yes, I do believe there's a single answer. ...
He may have his own reasons, but for my part I can tell you that it's not about saving a minute, nor any amount of time. Going fast is fun; going faster is more fun. That's the long and short of it.
Old 08-14-18, 07:58 AM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 84 Posts
johngwheeler to the white courtesy phone...johngwheeler...white courtesy phone...
Old 08-14-18, 08:06 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts

And if you want to take the waffling "everyone has to answer that themselves" approach, you've wasted a lot of time and effort attempting to convince everyone else that your "single answer" is correct. Further, you deliver it with a massive dose of self-righteous passive-aggressiveness, which is what I've seen from you in the other threads you've partaken in lately.
Originally Posted by wphamilton
He may have his own reasons, but for my part I can tell you that it's not about saving a minute, nor any amount of time. Going fast is fun; going faster is more fun. That's the long and short of it.
Asked and answered. It's sort of like asking why everyone doest just buy a $300 cruiser bike. Aero is faster. Faster is better. With few exceptions, for road cyclists, regardless of how serious they are, most tend to place speed as the #1 factor governing equipment choices.
Old 08-14-18, 08:09 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Not everyone. Speak for yourself.

Not everyone. Speak for yourself.

But what you write is simply not true. For people who have read the explanation of virtual elevation and taken time to digest it, Robert has been very willing to enter into discussions. Just look at post 119.
Post 119 contributed nothing to the discussion, and further, did nearly nothing to describe the methods/goals/conclusions of the giant research article that has been referenced and linked.

I'd seriously like to see someone dispute that...
Old 08-14-18, 08:13 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Asked and answered. It's sort of like asking why everyone doest just buy a $300 cruiser bike. Aero is faster. Faster is better. With few exceptions, for road cyclists, regardless of how serious they are, most tend to place speed as the #1 factor governing equipment choices.
The difference between a cruiser and any road bike is much greater than the difference between a good normal road bike and an aero road bike. Do you really have more fun going a small fraction of an mph faster? Really? Could you even tell it if you didn't have a GPS record at the end? I don't believe you could. Not even if you swear you could.
Old 08-14-18, 08:15 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

My "argument," as you call it, is that everyone has to decide for themselves, and all we can do is present what difference particular choices make so the decision is an informed one. My choice in equipment, how I balance my own unique priorities, is no more relevant to anyone else than my shoe size.
As I call it? If you're not arguing, you're spending a whole lot of effort not arguing. However, even I think this thread has gone too long, so have fun arguing that skinsuits give real advantages to angels dancing on the head of a pin.
Old 08-14-18, 08:20 AM
Abe_Froman

The difference between a cruiser and any road bike is much greater than the difference between a good normal road bike and an aero road bike. Do you really have more fun going a small fraction of an mph faster? Really? Could you even tell it if you didn't have a GPS record at the end? I don't believe you could. Not even if you swear you could.
What you say is of course true. And no, obviously if I just got on an aero bike without any additional data, I couldnt gauge the speed difference. Nobody could. But it's sort of irrelevant. The same argument applies to dozens of equipment choices/upgrades.

Lower rolling resistance tires. Deep section aero or just lightweight climbing wheels. Aero handlebars. Lower rolling resistance tires. Tight fitting race jersey. Lower weight groupsets.

All of those individual things would contribute a speed gain that would be undetectable by a normal person. Yet virtually all cyclists, ignoring cost constraints, go after all or some of them. Why? Speed. Each upgrade only contributes a fraction of a mph. But equipment DOES matter. One road bike can be multiple miles per hour faster than another. And everyone would rather go 20mph than 18mph. So the real argument SHOULD be where do the benefits of aero frames fall relative to other upgrades? And of course i'd argue that relative to other options, they're pretty far down the list. But of course there is the factor that it's the bike itself...a starting point. So it mike make a lot of sense for many people to go for an aero frame from the get go for a new purchase, and then move onto other upgrades later.

Last edited by Abe_Froman; 08-14-18 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-14-18, 08:29 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Honestly, without any instrumentation, I would bet that 9/10 would swear that's worth more watts than the GPS/power record would bear out - we're emotional creatures that like to get swept up. The last guy would be the hardcore curmudgeon that's just riding to confirm his long-held belief that his steel steed with DT shifters is still way better.
Old 08-14-18, 08:30 AM
asgelle

Post 119 contributed nothing to the discussion, ...
Again, missing the point. Whatever you might think of the merits of the post, it demonstrated Robert's willingness to engage in discussions of his methods. I'd like to see anyone dispute that.
Old 08-14-18, 08:33 AM
Abe_Froman

Again, missing the point. Whatever you might think of the merits of the post, it demonstrated Robert's willingness to engage in discussions of his methods. I'd like to see anyone dispute that.
I already did dispute that. And i stand by my dispute.
Old 08-14-18, 08:42 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Why are you asking him when it was my opinion?

Yes, half a mph faster is that much more fun, and absolutely I can tell in real-time. Each half mph faster on my own, even .2 mph faster, was a lot of work for me every step of the way and it's not that difficult to realize when you're going faster at the same effort as before. When it's due to the bike, better tires, better position or what have you, yes you can tell in that case also.
Old 08-14-18, 08:45 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Giant Propel 0.15 kph faster than Giant TCR. +/- 0.05 kph.
230w and 36kph.
2 water bottles. Same kit, helmet, position, wheels etc.
The test was hardly the ultimate in accuracy but was good enough to give me a fair indication.
The challenge in these type of tests is achieving the 'same position'. Because the effect you're attempting to measure is not large small differences in riding position have a significant impact on the results. I'm not disputing your tests just pointing out one of the difficulties in getting reliable accurate measurements.
Here's a test by Cervelo comparing their aero frame with some others:
Old 08-14-18, 09:08 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,130 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
The challenge in these type of tests is achieving the 'same position'.
Yup, though *depending on what you're trying to determine* sometimes it suffices to simply to know which different position or equipment is faster. For example, the stack-and-reach of my current bike is slightly different than my previous bike and even though I can get close to the same position on each bike I'd need a custom stem in order to get *exactly* the same position. In a larger sense all I can do is to measure total drag from my position on one bike vs. the other, with any differences that go with that.

OTOH, perhaps you were talking about changing position within a test. That shows up as either a change in the estimated parameters or else noise in the estimated parameters (sort of like sampling variability). An example of the former is when something transient and short-term happens, like getting passed by a car or a moment when you have to hit the brakes to avoid a hazard.
Old 08-14-18, 09:23 AM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 84 Posts
"An example of the former is when something transient and short-term happens, like getting passed by a car or a moment when you have to hit the brakes to avoid a hazard."

112 pages vs. uncontrolled testing environment.
Might as well spit ball it.
Old 08-14-18, 09:34 AM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by RChung
Asgelle pointed at my presentation, which explains what I do, and why. It's really not "efficient" to repeat the entirety here when you can already read it.
I'm thinking you should focus far less on efficiency and far more on clarity.
Old 08-14-18, 10:20 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Ah .... here is the conundrum .... what if the aero frame is ..... Somewhat Heavier?

And .... what if the aero frame is painted white .... but the other frame is painted ... Red?
Old 08-14-18, 10:48 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Hi!

What's this thread about?
Old 08-14-18, 10:55 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

I'm thinking you should focus far less on efficiency and far more on clarity.
Oh, come on. My stuff ain't for everyone, it's for those who care. People who care already think it's clear enough. If you don't think it's clear, it means you don't care (or you're incapable of understanding, which I suppose could be a possibility). If you don't care, why should I make an effort to explain it? That's nuts. IRL I'm a professor. If a student actively avoids doing the course work, I don't think my clarity is the issue.
Old 08-14-18, 10:55 AM
Cpinn3r

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
to the original OP

Just going to add my two cents. I'm no expert or competitive rider, but I to was envy of all those aero bikes I been seeing pop up. So I picked up a 2014 Felt AR and im coming from a Felt Z75.

W/O any test results I find that going with the Aero bike I find that it's a bit faster, but that probably just in my mind.

Anyways picking this bike up makes me want to ride even more than before. If your on the fence just go to your LBS and test one out.
Old 08-14-18, 10:57 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
It's about money. It's always about money. How much you want to spend to buy these real or perceived advantages that are discussed in these threads. That is what it boils down to. Aero, crabon, power meters, Di2, blah, blah, blah. It always comes down to how much you are willing to spend to have a better ride. A better ride is different for everyone. There is no right answer. So,..............................................................................

Old 08-14-18, 10:59 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Originally Posted by datlas
Hi!

Hubris, mostly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.