Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Canyon?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Thoughts on Canyon?

Old 08-13-18, 11:27 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Thoughts on Canyon?

I am looking for a bike to keep in my office and ride during lunch breaks and doing errands during the day. I found this Canyon and thought it looked to be a great value. All Ultegra with disk brakes and a threaded bottom bracket. Any thoughts on this bike? I am between it and a Trek Domane ALR 5. I know this represents a pretty good investment for a part time bike but, I need a second to back up my main bike and want it to be decent.
​​​​​​
https://www.canyon.com/en-it/road/en...-disc-8-0.html
Old 08-13-18, 11:34 AM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Bike looks great and has excellent specs.
Old 08-13-18, 11:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
only by visiting Koblenz, Germany can you see if they are a manufacturer,
or an importing distribuitor, of a bike, made as other brands do,
by OEM powerhouse factories out of Taipei..

the rest is component picks by product manager..

Domane feature the 'decoupler' seat mast damping,
won't be on another companies frames, of course..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-13-18 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-13-18, 11:55 AM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I'm not a fan of the appearance of the welds on Canyon aluminum bikes.
Old 08-13-18, 11:59 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Originally Posted by memebag
I'm not a fan of the appearance of the welds on Canyon aluminum bikes.
Is it the weld quality that you don't like or the fact that you can see them? I know Trek does a good job of smoothing theirs out.
Old 08-13-18, 12:02 PM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by yarbrough462
Is it the weld quality that you don't like or the fact that you can see them? I know Trek does a good job of smoothing theirs out.
It's the appearance. I'm not a metallurgist, although some of my urges are totally metal. Cannondale also makes pretty welds.
Old 08-13-18, 12:46 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Canyon makes great bikes, with great specs. In the end, you have to choose for yourself under your own terms even if internet strangers disagree. With all else being equal, pick the one that you find aesthetically pleasing. You will not be wrong.
Old 08-13-18, 01:29 PM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I think the price is right for the components it has. Since I have not ridden an aluminum Canyon, I don't know what the ride quality is. Having extensive experience riding Cannondale aluminum, I would rather go with a Cannondale frame. If at all possible, ride before you buy.
Cheers
Old 08-13-18, 01:56 PM
ddub

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I love that bike. Canyon is a true value IMO. I'm waiting for the carbon Endurace SLX in red to come available. Hopefully soon.
Old 08-13-18, 05:57 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I have this very bike. I bought it in February this year and have almost 4,800 miles on it. I love it. The only things is the flat paint requires extra cleaning to get grease off and the disc brake dust. I would recommend it.
Old 08-14-18, 10:48 AM
eriku16

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by onyerleft
Canyon rocks, the haters are ignorant and resentful of their business model.
Just another frame Made in China by the same factory that Treks are made...

Last edited by eriku16; 08-14-18 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-14-18, 11:17 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
One of my friends has a Canyon tri bike. I don't like their looks, but I've handled the bike up close and it's well-built and crazy fast.
Old 08-14-18, 01:47 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Originally Posted by eriku16
Pretty much all frames are outsourced these days...who cares? As long as the company buying them maintains quality control, it doesn't matter where they are made. Care to share your source on Canyon and Trek being made in the same place?
Old 08-14-18, 02:09 PM
eriku16

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pretty much all frames are outsourced these days...who cares? As long as the company buying them maintains quality control, it doesn't matter where they are made. Care to share your source on Canyon and Trek being made in the same place?
It does not bother me where there are made. Other than design differences between brands, they are pretty much generic, mass produce frames.... Quest Composties designs (from input) and manufacturers them.
Old 08-14-18, 02:12 PM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Here you go.
https://www.questcomposite.com/

I know that Giant was making Canyon, at least they were. Maybe Quest is owned by Giant.
Old 08-15-18, 12:11 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

The bike I am looking at is Aluminum and Quest makes composites. I am sure it is made in Taiwan or China too but no telling what company is doing the work. Again though, that is not important to me as long as the quality control is there...

Last edited by Pizzaiolo Americano; 08-15-18 at 06:19 AM.
Old 08-15-18, 05:47 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I keep finding myself on their website checking and comparing specs on the Ultimate. I certainly like the prices. The CF SLX 9.0 has mechanical Dura Ace and is less expensive than a comparable Emonda. I am not loving the subdued paint however, but it's no worse than the stock paint from the big brands.
Old 08-15-18, 07:34 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Almost nothing is made by the company on the outside of the box. Cars, phones (do you really think Apple makes anything?), tires, bikes...

I currently ride a Cannondale, a Klein, two Scotts and my newest, a Canyon. That bike is great. It's great primarily because it's a lot like a Cannondale, Scott, etc. but cost a **** ton less.
Old 08-15-18, 08:23 AM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Canyon seems to invest in hyping their bikes up on you tube but is reality they suck . domane all day , or emonda , or allez , or crux , .

But if you just need a city bike grab an old 80s road bike put some nice tires on it call it a day 300 bucks .

You couldnt pay me to ride a crayon . their bikes look like bootleg tt frames with boring shimano groupsets .
Old 08-15-18, 08:48 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle
Canyon seems to invest in hyping their bikes up on you tube but is reality they suck . domane all day , or emonda , or allez , or crux , .

But if you just need a city bike grab an old 80s road bike put some nice tires on it call it a day 300 bucks .

You couldnt pay me to ride a crayon . their bikes look like bootleg tt frames with boring shimano groupsets .
Any actual experience with Canyon?
Old 08-15-18, 09:02 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts

I wouldn't ride a Crayon either. Man... imagine it in the summer!

You know your beloved Domane/Emonda framesets are made by the same company who makes the Canyon... right? Do you think they press the "Make it Suck" button when it's time to make Canyon framesets? On to the next topic: Take a minute or two and tell us all how SRAM excites you... 'cause yeah - that Shimano stuff really is boring. I mean, it just does the same thing every single time I use it. I mean, without fail: I move the shifter lever, it shifts. I pull the brake lever, it stops. Just so damn boring.

Last edited by Zaskar; 08-15-18 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-15-18, 09:23 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts

With that attitude, I doubt there is any danger of anyone paying you to ride anything.

Old 08-15-18, 09:29 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by eriku16
So, you agree then that Canyon is of similar build quality to Trek, and also is being produced in one of the most technologically advanced production centers of the world?
Old 08-15-18, 10:02 AM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
I currently ride a Cannondale, a Klein, two Scotts and my newest, a Canyon. That bike is great. It's great primarily because it's a lot like a Cannondale, Scott, etc. but cost a **** ton less.
Every time I price a Canyon it seems to cost just as much as any of the major brands.
Old 08-15-18, 11:00 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Originally Posted by memebag
Every time I price a Canyon it seems to cost just as much as any of the major brands.
I was looking at the US site today from my work computer and noticed that some of the better deals aren’t listed. For example, the bike I am looking at is not being sold in the US. It is a exceptional deal for the specs but I guess they don't think it will sell there?

Last edited by Pizzaiolo Americano; 08-15-18 at 11:05 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.