Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What is your sleeping setup?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What is your sleeping setup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-18, 09:45 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
I put the tent poles (& stakes) in my backpack, and the tent itself in a pannier. Sleeping bag(s) on the back rack's platform. 🙂
I have always had problems wrapping my head around why people carry tents like this. I just don't see the logic. Pannier space is too valuable to waste on tents. If you carry panniers, we can assume that you have a rack and that is the perfect place to carry tent and sleeping bag.

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Great, timely topic for the folks that are getting into touring. I have been exploring tents online. How are all of you transporting your sleeping gear? Are you leaving the tent, bag and pad in their own packaging or are you making it into one larger roll?
I would suggest against packing the tent and sleeping bag together. I've had to pack wet tents in the past either because I can't wait for the sun to burn off morning dew or because it was raining, had rained and/or was threatening to rain some more. When I've packed the tent wet, it gets wet throughout. The last thing I want is to try to sleep in a wet sleeping bag. I pack my pad and bag in their own bags...the pad goes in the bag and the sleeping bag gets stuffed around it... and the tent in it's own bag. I put them together on the rack. Here's what the packed road set up looks like

2015-05-03 11.38.54 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

And here's what it looks like for off-road

DSCN1255 by Stuart Black, on Flickr
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-19-18, 01:20 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I have always had problems wrapping my head around why people carry tents like this. I just don't see the logic. Pannier space is too valuable to waste on tents. If you carry panniers, we can assume that you have a rack and that is the perfect place to carry tent and sleeping bag.
​​​
Why would you care? If people have the pannier space to put a tent in one, and that's how they prefer to pack, how does that negatively impact you?
Old 08-19-18, 03:18 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts

I would suggest against packing the tent and sleeping bag together. I've had to pack wet tents in the past either because I can't wait for the sun to burn off morning dew or because it was raining, had rained and/or was threatening to rain some more. When I've packed the tent wet, it gets wet throughout. The last thing I want is to try to sleep in a wet sleeping bag. I pack my pad and bag in their own bags...the pad goes in the bag and the sleeping bag gets stuffed around it... and the tent in it's own bag. I put them together on the rack. Here's what the packed road set up looks like
That makes perfect sense!
Old 08-20-18, 07:11 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville
Firewood and bourbon and I'm in.
I'm not picking up bourbon at the end of the day like food, beer or wood, it's always in the 500 ml nalgene in the frame bag. Bourbon, rye yup, usually George Dickel for the trips though.
Old 08-21-18, 07:41 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
REI Half Dome plus 2 tent. 30d down bags. Thermarest pads. Wife and I use our stuff sacks filled with clothes for pillows each night. Tent, fly, stove, fuel, french press, food, mugs go into 2 panniers on one bike. Those stay hung outside or sometimes in our tent vestibule. Other bike carries one waterproof pannier of clothes & battery packs for each of us. Those come inside the tent or vestibule depending on how muddy. Sleeping bags and camp clothes get compressed into WP bags on the front rack of each bike. Thermarests roll up and ride on rear racks with tent poles. Under 25lbs of gear per bike.
Old 08-21-18, 08:52 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by revcp
Why would you care? If people have the pannier space to put a tent in one, and that's how they prefer to pack, how does that negatively impact you?
Who said anything about it negatively impacting me? I said I don't see the logic in doing it. I didn't say that it hurts me somehow.

That said, this is a FORUM where we meet and discuss things for either our own edification or to provide advice to others, especially newbies. I would advise a newbie not to pack their tent in a pannier for many reasons. First and foremost is putting wet objects of any kind in a sealed pannier is a recipe for building a pretty good mold colony.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-21-18, 09:06 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Who said anything about it negatively impacting me? I said I don't see the logic in doing it. I didn't say that it hurts me somehow.

That said, this is a FORUM where we meet and discuss things for either our own edification or to provide advice to others, especially newbies. I would advise a newbie not to pack their tent in a pannier for many reasons. First and foremost is putting wet objects of any kind in a sealed pannier is a recipe for building a pretty good mold colony.
Yep, it's a FORUM. (Sorry, caps key got stuck.) I get that, but sometimes I weary of the declarative statements like, "Pannier space is too valuable to waste on tents. If you carry panniers, we can assume that you have a rack and that is the perfect place to carry tent and sleeping bag." In a pannier is also a perfect place to carry a tent and sleeping bag. Also, carrying your sleeping bag on the rack, is it in an unsealed, water permeable bag? Your tent? The only thing I carry on the top of my rack is my tent poles. Everything else goes in dry bags in the panniers. I've carried things in dry bags while bike touring, backpacking and canoeing. I've never had a problem with mold, even on six week canoe trips in Canada with several consecutive days of rain. My method works fine for me, but I understand that others choose to do things differently.
Old 08-21-18, 09:17 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Great, timely topic for the folks that are getting into touring. I have been exploring tents online. How are all of you transporting your sleeping gear? Are you leaving the tent, bag and pad in their own packaging or are you making it into one larger roll?
Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 tent in its bag goes on the rear rack. Sea to Summit sleeping pad in its bag in the left, front pannier. REI 39 down bag compressed in its stuff sack in the right, rear pannier. If I think it might be really cold I will take my Sierra Designs synthetic 20 degree bag instead, but it's larger and heavier.
Old 08-21-18, 10:06 AM
DIY masochist

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, 1977 Motobecane Super Mirage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I would suggest against packing the tent and sleeping bag together. I've had to pack wet tents in the past either because I can't wait for the sun to burn off morning dew or because it was raining, had rained and/or was threatening to rain some more. When I've packed the tent wet, it gets wet throughout. The last thing I want is to try to sleep in a wet sleeping bag. I pack my pad and bag in their own bags...the pad goes in the bag and the sleeping bag gets stuffed around it... and the tent in it's own bag. I put them together on the rack.
I've carried my sleeping bag, tent, and camping pad strapped perpendicularly across the back rack, and I found it to be extremely annoying to undo everything if I needed to access something in one of my rear panniers. I recently got a down sleeping bag with a compression sack in the hopes of getting the tent and sleeping bag into the back panniers. Then the plan would be to have my sleeping pad and tent poles going lengthwise down my (narrow) rear rack so I can still unroll the panniers. You have a point about not wanting to pack a wet tent inside a pannier though. I guess in that scenario I'd probably end up putting it in a trash bag and strapping it to the top of the rack until I found a place to dry it out. I usually like to wait until lunch time and find a big empty parking lot with hot asphalt, and lay the tent out to dry while I eat or read a little bit. Grass doesn't dry out as fast.

As far as my setup, I have an REI Quarter Dome 2 that is enough for me and all my gear. I just switched from a 20F synthetic bag to an REI Flash bag that's down and rated for 32F. I was way too hot in the old bag all summer on tour, and it was way too bulky, so I'm hoping this one will be better. I haven't taken it fall camping yet, though, so we'll see how warm it actually keeps me. Then I have the short Thermarest Z lite pad. I'm 6'2" but all I really need is padding underneath my shoulders and hips. My legs just sit on the floor of the tent in the sleeping bag off the end of the pad. I had an army duffel bag that I rolled up as a pillow, but it really sucked, so I'm thinking about trying to get an inflatable pillow. Does anyone have any recommendations? I would like to get an inflatable neck pillow for air travel too, anything that could be used for both?
Old 08-21-18, 02:37 PM
RustyGates

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went overboard with camping trips/ gear the last few years. I still only aspire to take my first bike tour, but I've already refined my sleep setup thoroughly.

After trying all sorts of tarps and tarptents, I now use a two person freestanding dome tent (BSI Chinook) with a mesh inner, two big doors for thorough ventilation, and a fly that almost touches the ground. I don't like relying on stakes...I'm tired when it's time to set up and it can be rocky here in the midwest. I can set up a dome tent in any flat spot, then worry about the stakes/anchors while it airs out and my sleeping bag fluffs up. Or I can crawl in and sleep without staking in calm weather.

I've had a top of the line 10° sleeping bag and all seasons inflatable mattress that were light enough to use year round, but expensive. I switched them out for a foam/ cheaper inflatable combo and a pair of homesewn quilts, one down one synthetic. The switch netted me ~$300 and in moderate temperatures I have a more comfortable setup. In winter I'm stuck with bulkier gear and it's heavier by a pound and a half...but the modularity allows me to take half my sleep gear (ridgerest and down inner quilt) and use it to sit around camp in comfort. Without that stuff I'd be lying prone for a couple hours in the evening and I hated it.
Old 08-21-18, 04:17 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
In case anyone cares, I won't put a wet tent in my panniers, I promise. 😉
But that doesn't mean I'm not dumb enough to put CANS of iced tea in a pannier, and puncture one. 😋😁
But I definitely agree, we don't want moisture in our panniers. Or most places, on our bikes. 😉
Old 08-21-18, 05:34 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

Motel and a bottle of wine when we tour on our tandem!
Old 08-21-18, 07:19 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I agree, even if it is everyone's personal decision. I know I am probably on the rare side with the blue foam sleeping pad over an inflatable dealie, but I roll the tent up in its bag inside the sleeping pad, and strap it on top my rack. The sleeping roll is quick to wipe down if it gets wet (the bit that is exposed to the weather, or just put that side down), and more or less protects the tent from the rain. Didn't let the tent really dry, but wadded up fabric in a bag won't anyhow.

Originally Posted by zonatandem

Motel and a bottle of wine when we tour on our tandem!
Not gonna lie, I like having the wife around to force me into that situation. I'm too cheap to do it solo
Old 08-21-18, 09:45 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts

Blue compression sack (CS) is the tent. It is either a REI half dome or a Sierra Designs Lightning, depending on the weather.
Gray small stuff sack is compressible pilow.
Greenish yellow CS is a 25 F synthetic sleeping bag. It could be a Mountain Smith 45F bag for shorter tours with better weather predictions; it packs down to half the size.
Small sil-nylon stuff sack is the sil-nylon ground cloth/tarp.
Orange bag is a Thermarest Pro4 pad.
The yellow bag is an Ortlieb Rack Pack.
This gear, including everything in the picture plus the tent poles, weighs 10 lbs or less.

Last edited by Doug64; 08-21-18 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-22-18, 04:32 PM
cyccommute 

Yep, it's a FORUM. (Sorry, caps key got stuck.) I get that, but sometimes I weary of the declarative statements like, "Pannier space is too valuable to waste on tents. If you carry panniers, we can assume that you have a rack and that is the perfect place to carry tent and sleeping bag."
Panniers are usually used to carry things that need protection from the elements. Clothes, food, delicate equipment, etc. Tents don’t need that kind of protection and, if properly protected, neither does a sleeping bag.

In a pannier is also a perfect place to carry a tent and sleeping bag.
Why? A sleeping bag takes up a lot of room even when compressed in a stuff sack. Even a light weight bag will take up most of a large pannier.

Also, carrying your sleeping bag on the rack, is it in an unsealed, water permeable bag? Your tent? The only thing I carry on the top of my rack is my tent poles. Everything else goes in dry bags in the panniers. I've carried things in dry bags while bike touring, backpacking and canoeing. I've never had a problem with mold, even on six week canoe trips in Canada with several consecutive days of rain. My method works fine for me, but I understand that others choose to do things differently.
Let’s not assume that I’m stupid. I’ve never used anything but a waterproof bag. In the old days, that meant a urethane coated bag but now it’s more high tech and much lighter and much better sealed.

Tent poles of just about any kind will not fit in any pannier. I don’t know about other people but my tent wraps around my tent poles just fine and fits into a neat little bag provided by the manufacturer. It makes for a tidy small package that fits on the rack just about the same as the poles. Why pack them separately?

Old 08-22-18, 04:47 PM
revcp 

Man.

Panniers are usually used to carry things that need protection from the elements. Clothes, food, delicate equipment, etc. Tents don’t need that kind of protection and, if properly protected, neither does a sleeping bag.

Why? A sleeping bag takes up a lot of room even when compressed in a stuff sack. Even a light weight bag will take up most of a large pannier.

Let’s not assume that I’m stupid. I’ve never used anything but a waterproof bag. In the old days, that meant a urethane coated bag but now it’s more high tech and much lighter and much better sealed.

Tent poles of just about any kind will not fit in any pannier. I don’t know about other people but my tent wraps around my tent poles just fine and fits into a neat little bag provided by the manufacturer. It makes for a tidy small package that fits on the rack just about the same as the poles. Why pack them separately?
I guess you're right. Your way is the only way. Sleeping bags (or quilts) don't exist that won't pack down smaller than a large pannier. Tent poles cannot, without breaking some law, be packed separately from the tent fly or inner. Dry bags with wet tents in them and lashed to a rack miraculously don't mold, but a wet tents in a pannier certainly will. Man.

This is my bike, fully packed, with the offending items in the panniers. Not even close to filled.

Last edited by revcp; 08-22-18 at 04:54 PM. Reason: To include a pic
Old 08-22-18, 05:00 PM
revcp 

I'm really not just wanting to be oppositional.

I just believe that for people seeking advice, especially newbies, it's not well to tell them there is only one acceptable way of doing things. Alternatives are good, especially if they work equally well.

I'm not saying the way you carry things is wrong. I'm saying you're wrong to claim it's the only sensible/effective way.

Last edited by revcp; 08-22-18 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-22-18, 08:24 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
From my last trip

Tent in the handlebar bag, inflatable mattress on the aerobars and sleeping bag (and clothes) in the saddebag:

Old 08-22-18, 11:52 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
. . . . . . .Why? A sleeping bag takes up a lot of room even when compressed in a stuff sack. Even a light weight bag will take up most of a large pannier. . . . . . . . .
I can put my whole sleeping system including tent in an Ortlieb Backroller Classic. That is exactly what I plan to do on a short tour next month.
Old 08-23-18, 12:07 AM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Pad - Neoair Xtherm long/wide and Exped pump bag with the valve modified to fit the Neoair. It also serves as waterproof liner. I'd still buy the same today, or maybe a XLite
Pillow - Trekology. Cheap pillow from Amazon.
Sleeping bag - MEC bag (today's equivalent is the Talon -3°C down bag) or Windhard quilt from Aliexpress (Enlightened Equipment clone). If I were buying today, I'd go with a 20°F down quilt from a small manufacturer like Enlightened Equipment, Zpacks, Hammock Gear, etc.
Tent - Tarptent Rainbow or a REI Quarter Dome UL 3. I bought those tents for solo and duo backpacking, otherwise I'd probably still use a Sierra Design Clip Flashlight. There's a slew of good tents for touring.

Sleeping bag, pillow and pad goes into a pannier with clothes. Depending on how many panniers I use (2 or 4), the tent goes on the rear rack or loose in a pannier with poles, rain gear, wet clothes and anything with an odd shape or food I don't want crushed, like a loaf of bread.
Old 08-23-18, 07:23 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
The Tent has proven great in both Norwegian cold and Texas heat and depending on how light we want to travel can be anywhere between 1.9kg for a singlepole setup to ~3kg for the double pole + tarp version. I kind of want to get the half size innertent to bring the singleperson weight down to 1.6kg. Fits into a single Ortlieb Backroller but for weight balance purposes I usually spread it over two bags.

Last edited by JaccoW; 08-23-18 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-23-18, 07:51 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
If I go solo:
Big Agnes Fly Creek 1 or My Hammock Setup (Warbonet Blackbird with Hammockgear Winter Palace Tarp
Nemo 25" mattress + sleeping bag for appropriate temperature range

If I go with my wife:
Hyperlite Mountain Gear Mid 4 or double hammock from Dutchware with Hammockgear Winter Palace Tarp
Two 20" Nemo mattresses in a double sleeping bag (either Nemo 40 degree or Big Agnes 15 degree double)

P.S. We used to have a Big Agnes Copper Spur 4 but we left it behind at my inlaws (overseas) for future trips there

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 08-23-18 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-23-18, 08:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
For tenting:
Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2
Sea To Summit ComfortPlus (I believe it is the dual sided red one and for the life of me I cannot remember which one I got)

For Hammocking:
ENO DoubleDelux or Single Nest
ENO Atlas straps
ENO Guardian Bug Net
ENO Pro Rain Fly

General sleeping set up:
Mountain Hardwear UltraLamina 45˚
Sea To Summit CoolMax Adaptor (either with or without Insect Shield)
Sea To Summit Aeros Ultralight Pillow (or a ENO Pro Pillow)

Hopefully one day I will get more time to do touring and bike packing and general camping and I will take down the weight of some of my stuff but it is certainly pretty light as is while still being comfortable. The three biggest standouts would be all the Sea To Summit stuff, their sleeping pads are excellent and probably the most comfortable and easiest to inflate I have used (I might get a lighter single sided version at some point), the pillow takes up little space but is certainly a super comfortable camp pillow but also fine for other trips where space is premium or you just don't want to schelp a full sized pillow and the Adaptors are perfect for a lot of things and I use mine pretty frequently especially since i sleep hot.
Old 08-24-18, 06:42 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I use a Coleman Houligan 2 tent which I chose because it's 4' tall, tall enough that I can just walk right into it and sit down. I have a Thermarest x large mattress and pillow. Typically I use a fleece sleeping bag liner for a sleeping bag, but most of my camping is done during the warmer months. If I take an early spring trip I will switch to a regular mummy bag.
Here's a link to my blog posts about bike packing:Simply Cycle: Bike packing 101

Marc

Last edited by irwin7638; 08-24-18 at 06:46 AM.
Old 08-24-18, 11:40 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
REI Quarterdome 2, Thermarest inflatable pad, REI sleeping bag (combo of down on top, synthetic fill on bottom), Exped inflatable pillow, and silk liner for colder weather.

Earplugs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.