Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacement pinned ramped 110 bcd chainrings for triple

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-18, 10:42 AM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts

Would like to purchase some replacement 110bcd chainrings (outer and middle) with pins and ramps for my Sugino XD2 triple crank. Would like to buy Sugino branded ones but finding it rather difficult to find the pinned and ramped Sugino chainrings in anything other than a set of all three. For the prices I'm seeing for the set, it's probably more cost effective just to purchase a new crankset just for the rings. Just seems wasteful to buy a whole crankset to replace two chainrings.

Anyone got any suggestions on cost-effective replacment pinned and ramped (Yes, I want pinned and ramped) 110bcd chainrings? They don't have to be Sugino, but that would be nice. Not feeling like spending $100 or more for two chainrings from T-A or Stronglight but will if that's the only way to get good product.
Old 08-20-18, 11:06 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Lots.. 7075-T6 aluminum must be machined .. that is the harder alloy used by companies making chainrings...

CNC machining makes production fast.. lots of brands.. check with LBS?

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...hp?category=50

one of the sellers for those lacking local service..
Old 08-20-18, 11:16 AM
KenCarlson

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I wore out a middle ring once from a Sugino triple. I encountered the same thing you are finding, that pinned/ramped replacement rings were not available. I just assumed that Sugino did that on purpose, so they didn't have to worry about maintaining stock with the right pins and ramps in case there were different versions of pinning and ramping that would be incompatible. From their point of view, just having one type of ring without any pins/ramps available would make their inventory control much simpler. I just went ahead and got an unpinned/unramped replacement and in my case it worked fine.

-Ken
Old 08-20-18, 12:32 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
What ring sizes?

Unfortunately getting replacement triple chainrings has gotten a lot more challenging over the last few years and can be a real challenge.

Given the cost of that crank I might just buy another one and keep the old one for a great looking singlespeed/1x bike.

Last edited by cpach; 08-20-18 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-20-18, 12:57 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I used to go with RaceFace, but they stopped making 110. It is FSA now. Origin 8 are 6061 alloy.
Old 08-20-18, 01:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
And, because Bike Factories buy whole cranksets by the million,
sometimes the crank with chainrings is less that retail for 3 chainrings.

The Basic Sugino chain ring is die cut, so softer aluminum allows all the teeth
to be cut on a punch press at the same blow.

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-20-18 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-20-18, 01:40 PM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
USAMade chainrings: https://usamade.myshopify.com/collec...th-pro-110-bcd

They have all sorts of ramped and pinned rings as well as narrow-wide for single speed conversions.

I have a 44T and 48T wide-narrow on a 1x9 and 1x8 respectively; they are great rings. They are a little noisy for the first couple hundred miles, then became silent. I use KMC X9.93 and X8.93 chains.
Old 08-20-18, 05:07 PM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Some good suggestions, thank you all.

I'd buy from a good LBS, but none near me. At least none I'm willing to spend my money at. As a matter of fact, I couldn't find a 36 tooth or 38 tooth 110 bcd chainring at 5 different LBS. All were willing to order but I can do that myself so I'm not paying a premium for that service. I ended up moving one from a different bike to save a weekend ride on our tandem. My quest now is to put all right back in the universe.

I can't blame the LBS for not having a suitable chainring because having inventory that rarely sells in an area with expensive real estate is just a money-losing strategy.
Old 08-20-18, 08:59 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by honcho
Some good suggestions, thank you all.

I'd buy from a good LBS, but none near me. At least none I'm willing to spend my money at. As a matter of fact, I couldn't find a 36 tooth or 38 tooth 110 bcd chainring at 5 different LBS. All were willing to order but I can do that myself so I'm not paying a premium for that service. I ended up moving one from a different bike to save a weekend ride on our tandem. My quest now is to put all right back in the universe.

I can't blame the LBS for not having a suitable chainring because having inventory that rarely sells in an area with expensive real estate is just a money-losing strategy.
Chainrings suck for bike shops. It's basically not worth it to try to stock them to sell to customers except maybe 1x rings in common sizes for common bolt patterns/dm interfaces. If they're needed for a repair, then usually the shop is booked out enough to be able to order one before the repair date. A lot of cranks have spiders shaped so they don't even really fit chainrings of the correct bcd from different brands or even of different models/years of the same brand.
Old 08-20-18, 09:17 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by honcho
For the prices I'm seeing for the set, it's probably more cost effective just to purchase a new crankset just for the rings. Just seems wasteful to buy a whole crankset to replace two chainrings..
It seems even more wasteful to pay more for fewer parts, too.