Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Double-flats... old CO2 didn't work for me!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-18, 05:45 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts

No flats in years and I always 'knocked on wood' about that but... it finally happened. Dbl-snake bites due to major road imperfection so unusual circumstances.

Fortunately, I had two spare tubes so everything worked out pretty well but not so the CO2s I've been carrying around for years and never had an occasion to use. The two oldest cartridges went into a barrel and all the gas escaped just screwing on the valve assembly. I had a bigger cartridge that screwed directly onto the head but there apparently was no gas in it.

Now I'm not sure if it's even worthwhile carrying CO2s if I carry spare tubes and hand pump (which worked pretty well considering it too is old too and made for a big mtb tires not high-pressure road tires).

Old 08-20-18, 05:48 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Good on you for carrying two spare tubes. I personally carry a frame pump that can reach 85psi in less than 5 minutes. Good enough for me. I hear too many stories of co2 cartridges getting wasted because of a fumble or being empty. Not much point in having both for me, so I'll stick with the pump.
Old 08-20-18, 05:53 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22597 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
My solution is to use CO2 on group rides (saves a couple minutes and if I screw up someone else has some) but bring mini pump on solo rides.

i also carry a few stick on patches in case of multiple flats.
Old 08-20-18, 09:37 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Topeak Hybrid Rocket pump
https://www.topeak.com/global/de/pro...ybridrocket-hp

If you run out of CO2 you can still pump normally (assuming you brought enough inner tubes and/or patches).
Old 08-20-18, 09:47 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
No flats in years and I always 'knocked on wood' about that but... it finally happened. Dbl-snake bites due to major road imperfection so unusual circumstances.

Fortunately, I had two spare tubes so everything worked out pretty well but not so the CO2s I've been carrying around for years and never had an occasion to use. The two oldest cartridges went into a barrel and all the gas escaped just screwing on the valve assembly. I had a bigger cartridge that screwed directly onto the head but there apparently was no gas in it.

Now I'm not sure if it's even worthwhile carrying CO2s if I carry spare tubes and hand pump (which worked pretty well considering it too is old too and made for a big mtb tires not high-pressure road tires).
Not with good tires like yours. Same thing happened to me after about two years riding my Gaterhardshells. Now I have another pair older than that. I'd sure like to know what the expiration date is for them?
Old 08-20-18, 10:08 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I had two flats Saturday, had to DNF. Wife had to come get me a few miles from home.

Two more on Sunday!. Sunday the bike had the good sense to flat in front of REI, and the second flat half a block from the coffeeshop/bike shop.

I paid to have the second flat changed... I was just SICK OF CHANGING TUBES. Anyway it was split seam, not a puncture or a pinchflat, the second one of the day. Second flat Saturday was a torn stem that at first I thought was my fault, but all 3 tubes were from the same batch of 4 tubes, and the torn stem was right on a seam too.

4th one went in the trash, unused.
Old 08-20-18, 11:36 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by atwl77
Topeak Hybrid Rocket pump
https://www.topeak.com/global/de/pro...ybridrocket-hp

If you run out of CO2 you can still pump normally (assuming you brought enough inner tubes and/or patches).
No one can buy my old pump anymore but I did see the spec is still on the web and looked better than I remembered (push/pull pump is a good feature I'd suggest to anyone shopping for a mini).
Blackburn AS-1 AirStik

This product has been deactivated

Description

Max Pressure: 160 psi/11bar
Barrel Material: Aluminum
Weight:162g.
Old 08-21-18, 12:45 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
An old dyed-in-the-wool type here. I will always have a real frame pump on every bike I own, two tubes and a patch kit. (I rode for decades, often very long rides, alone with no cell phone or SO to bail me out.) On group rides it has been more common for me to be using my pump to bail out others than me delaying everyone while I pump up.

Plus. I nearly always patch my tubes. Makes finding the cause a no-brainer (almost always) since the issue is going to be exactly where the patch is or the same distance on the other side of the valve hole (assuming you haven't moved the tire relative to the rim - label always at the valve).

Ben
Old 08-21-18, 04:49 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Hey. I have an Airstick. It is tiny but a really good pump ... not sure if we have the same one.

I applaud you for bringing a pump. When I read the title, my first thought was that if we rode together I'd rent you mine ... at a nominal per-stroke fee.

I too have heard a few CO2 horror stories ... i suspect there are more than get reported, because CO2 users don't want to hear from the smug pump-carriers so much.

While it is great if folks have a wife who can drop everything and save them, some of us have wives who cannot ... or don't even have wives, or even have husbands who will lecture them the whole way home on how to do things right. ( ) I applaud everyone who brings a tube or two, a pump or CO2, and really, how much can three or five glueless patches weigh? But ... some folks like to live on the edge.
Old 08-21-18, 05:05 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Oof I had double flats last year doing a century, the flats occurred while I was going thru town over a section of road I didn't think anything of. Then psst!! front and rear flat! I was a few blocks from the bike shop and just walked down and had them throw two new tubes in.

I've been thinking of CO2 but that would save me maybe 4 minutes out of the 15 minutes total. I carry a topeak roadmorph with a gauge, I like to know where I'm at. I can check a tire by feel but it's reassuring knowing my exact pressure if I flat halfway through a metric or imperial century.
Old 08-21-18, 05:29 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rgconner
I had two flats Saturday, had to DNF. Wife had to come get me a few miles from home.

Two more on Sunday!. Sunday the bike had the good sense to flat in front of REI, and the second flat half a block from the coffeeshop/bike shop.

I paid to have the second flat changed... I was just SICK OF CHANGING TUBES. Anyway it was split seam, not a puncture or a pinchflat, the second one of the day. Second flat Saturday was a torn stem that at first I thought was my fault, but all 3 tubes were from the same batch of 4 tubes, and the torn stem was right on a seam too.

4th one went in the trash, unused.
I have had similar experiences with several inner tubes recently that are just plain defective, but was informed by some armchair expert here that "modern inner tubes don't even have seams".

I've had to throw away so many bad tubes in the past year, AT LEAST a half dozen, which is bad enough, but when people try to blame the victim, it gets to be a bit much. These Chinese inner tube makers seem to have perfected defective inner tube, causing sales to skyrocket, since when your inner tube explodes you have to buy a new one, there is simply no way around that.

My bad inner tunes have had areas where the rubber is super-thin, but since the defect is internal, there's no way of seeing it. These thin areas eventually rupture, often in several adjacent spots where you'll have a whole row of herniated bumps where the rubber is extremely thin, and when you see the damage it's obvious it can't be patched, so into the trash it goes. It's a scam. I will save the next inner tube this happens with and post pics to satisfy the legions of BF unbelievers.
Old 08-21-18, 05:45 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

^^ Another reason to patch old tubes. Properly patched tubes have passed QC and are not going to break at the seam or valve stem etc.
Old 08-21-18, 06:26 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
True, I just find it sad that we have to do our own quality control these days, and pay for out of our own pockets it too. In addition to the time and frustration spent by the side of the road changing these tubes out, often swapping one bad tube for another one that's in even worse shape, continuing the whole cycle of misery.

I have a few older inner tubes and it's obvious that they were made much better, I just wish they had longer valve stems.
Old 08-21-18, 06:37 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
True, I just find it sad that we have to do our own quality control these days, and pay for out of our own pockets it too. In addition to the time and frustration spent by the side of the road changing these tubes out, often swapping one bad tube for another one that's in even worse shape, continuing the whole cycle of misery.

I have a few older inner tubes and it's obvious that they were made much better, I just wish they had longer valve stems.
Agree about valve stems. I actually have a valve extender I keep in my bag with spare tube/patches/etc., it has saved more than one of my friends' ass when he had a flat and the only extra tube around had a short stem. The thing is small and weighs like 1g. Worthy of consideration.
Old 08-21-18, 07:10 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
On group rides, when a rider with a flat pulls out their unthreaded CO2 inflator (the kind that has a shell around the cartridge), I often hear "I hope it works this time".

Instead, the tiny threaded inflators, like this AirChuck, are quite simple and reliable. I did blow out it's valve o-ring once, by trying to just squirt a tiny bit to inflate the tube enough to install it. I probably didn't seat it on the tube valve very well.

On longer solo rides, I'll bring one CO2 and my old Mini Morph pump. I once counted 200 pump strokes to get to about 70-80 psi. It's slow.

~~~~~~~~~

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
An old dyed-in-the-wool type here. I will always have a real frame pump on every bike I own, two tubes and a patch kit. (I rode for decades, often very long rides, alone with no cell phone or SO to bail me out.) On group rides it has been more common for me to be using my pump to bail out others than me delaying everyone while I pump up.

Plus. I nearly always patch my tubes. Makes finding the cause a no-brainer (almost always) since the issue is going to be exactly where the patch is or the same distance on the other side of the valve hole (assuming you haven't moved the tire relative to the rim - label always at the valve).

Ben
A few local riders carry the long frame pumps. Those things are fast!

Yes, I patch 3 or 4 punctured tubes that I've saved up. That uses up most of a tube of glue. The patched tubes are as good as new. It's faster to patch a few tubes at a time.

I use a silver sharpie to draw a direction arrow on a new tube. And the tire is mounted with the label at the valve. So after locating the puncture, I know exactly how far around the tire to look for a sharp bit stuck in the tread.

Tyvek
Rolling up the spare tube into a small oval, I wrap it with a piece of tyvek and rubber band it. That protects the tube, and the tyvek is a good boot if the tire is sliced. Pieces of overnight envelopes or event ride numbers are good.

Last edited by rm -rf; 08-21-18 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-21-18, 08:03 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf

A few local riders carry the long frame pumps. Those things are fast!
One of the local builders here offers a matching frame pump on his bikes:
Old 08-21-18, 09:20 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
. I once counted 200 pump strokes to get to about 70-80 psi. It's slow. .
not as slow as walking in cleated shoes.
Old 08-21-18, 10:25 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I actually have a valve extender I keep in my bag with spare tube/patches/etc., it has saved more than one of my friends' ass when he had a flat and the only extra tube around had a short stem.
I started carrying one, in case I needed it for my wheels, but I've only used it to help others.
Old 08-21-18, 10:42 AM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I have never relied on Co2 for tire repair. If you ride with me and don't want to wait for me to hand pump my tire, ride on!
I ALWAYS carry a small frame pump that works.
I ALWAYS carry a spare tube.
I ALWAYS carry a patch kit.
The ONLY time I carry Co2 was for road race with no support. TT, you puncture, you lose.
YMMV
Cheers
Old 08-21-18, 01:21 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
I carry a topeak roadmorph with a gauge,
The Road Morph-G is the easiest to use small pump. That tiny little foot peg makes a huge difference.

I like to let stranded strangers use my pump while I continue to hoard CO2 in my saddle bag.
Old 08-22-18, 09:17 PM
Noahma

Bikes: 2022 Orbea Orca M20Team, 2017 Orbea Avant M40, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I had a similar issue a few years ago. I had 2 flats within 10 feet of each other (damn goat heads) Fixed the problem lol I carry 3 spares, a patch kit, small frame pump, and a c02 inflator with a few cartridges lol. Overkill I know, but there are times I am in areas not easy to get to by car
Old 08-22-18, 11:06 PM
McBTC

The spare I put on the front had a slow leak so I replaced it and checked it out to see if it was worth keeping for emergencies. Turns out air was escaping in the area where the valve is bonded to the tube.

The rear was fine but I also replaced it with a new tube and kept it as a spare that I knew was good.

Threw out all my CO2 kit-- 50 easy push/pulls on a mini pump is all I needed to get back to the car. No biggy.

I once considered myself a champion fixer, able to do the job with a quarter of a patch. I don't mind carrying a patch kit and maybe using it later, back home (or, perhaps fixing a flat if I only need to pull a small amount tube out of the tire), but...

Now I'm thinking, maybe just carry 3 spares, stock a few backups and call it a day. Now seeing the sense in the Amazon's special on 5 tubes... just treat'm as disposable-- about as cheap as renting a video on Amazon.

Last edited by McBTC; 08-22-18 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-22-18, 11:12 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I don't seem to suffer from the random tube failures with continental race light tubes.

Not the cheapest, but worth it to me.
Old 08-22-18, 11:50 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
I carry a patch kit, a tube, a couple CO2 cartridges, and a mini pump. First flat gets a tube and CO2. Second one gets a patch and CO2. Third gets a patch and pump. Most I've ever has was 5. Yes, I live in goathead country. Not even Armadillo Elite nor Gatorskins can withstand them.
Old 08-23-18, 11:23 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I feel like personally if I need to use my emergency equipment, it should just work, not be additional potential problem point. That's why I just bring a pump. A road morph mini will get my tire up to 60psi without to much effort and that's good enough to finish the ride with.

I rarely actually need to fix flats nowadays with flat resistant tires. When I do, I want the repair stuff to just work without hassle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.