Search
Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Hydraulic disc brakes with one hand (all I've ever had!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-18, 09:45 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
This is a old thread I realize, but just in case you are still following it.
I too would love a solution for to this goal.

However, I have a different viewpoint on balance. I've used only a front brake for 45 years. It's not optimal, but it asn't ever sent me over the bars as it sees to have some here. Instead, I find it provides optimal stopping power.

Back in the 70s I had a dual tandem lever. It didn't work well as it was too easy to lock teh rear before applying enough force to the front.

Here's what I think happens: In braking ones weight is transfered forward because the bike slows but the rider doesn't (unless they pays careful attention and get rearward on the bike) This unweights the rear wheel and lets it skid. The amount of unweighting is highly variable, depending on the force of the braking as well as rider preparation. This makes it super hard to ever have one brake lever balance for all situations.

As far as locking up teh front, I've never had it happen. I don't know if it's even possible unless the road is very slick. In my (admittedly limited) when someone says they locked the front they actually didn't. Instead they decelerated so quickly that the bike slowed faster than the rider and the rider when over the bars.

Despite this, I still hope for some "smart" road bike lever some day that will let me use my rear brake. Until then, it's front only for me. At least the rear pads last forever....
Old 01-05-18, 12:42 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Closed system brakes , Magura has Rim brakes of this type you can daisy chain together,,
because there is no fluid expansion tank needed, , disc brakes a have them

the bleed screw on my 2 slave piston Magura rim brakes [HS33] has a balance hose coming out of the left hand one,
passing the fluid pressure on to the 2nd piston..

And When the master cylinder increases the fluid pressure, both pads move to the rim from opposite sides..

Old tandem double cable levers the cables were pulled side by side, neither closer to the pivot than the other..

Seen another, straight bar type , one cable is closer to the pivot than the other, so have differential cable pulls..

you will be able to use that to an advantage perhaps?

Mid cable run splitters , Like QBP offers , have been useful in a 2 wheel drum brake trailer brake set up..

My friendly LBS worked one of those out a year ago..