Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

What clipless pedals are best for mountain biking?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

What clipless pedals are best for mountain biking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-11, 10:28 AM
tkehler

Location: My family and I -- wife and two young children -- live in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Bikes: TST ti 'cross bike (commuter); Guru ti road bike; recumbent; Airnimal Chameleon folding racing bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have tried various kinds. I always go back to Shimano SPD pedals. Now I have them on all of my bikes, and I have their cleats on all of my cycling shoes (even a pair of cycling sandals from Keens that works great in the heat for short easy rides).

The XTR version is amazing, but pricey.

This (the m647) is my recommendation. It's the best combination of price, value and function:

https://www.mtbr.com/cat/drivetrain/p...78_135crx.aspx

And I have a ten year old precursor to it, which weighs a lot more but still works fine.
Old 01-12-11, 07:25 PM
praetor

Bikes: (RB)-Klein Quantum (MB)-GT Zaskar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding the same set of Speedplay Frogs since 1995-96.

It's kind of hard to test different pedals but I got mine from someone who owed me money. Better than cash.
Old 01-12-11, 08:27 PM
bikemanbob

Bikes: Bertoni Corsa Mondiale, Bridgestone T-700, Miyata 700 GT, Trek 600, Trek 560 Professional Series, Chrome Panasonic DX 2000, Peugeot PH12, Peugeot PX10, Schwinn World Voyageur, Schwinn Circuit, and Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I use Crank Bros with great success. Easy to engage and release. Relatively lightweight and inexpensive. Candy's are good, but Eggbeaters are better (easier to engage). I would avoid the Smarty's (they often come stock on new bikes).
Old 01-12-11, 10:58 PM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
original.jpg (97.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 01-13-11, 05:13 AM
scrublover
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Bikes: hardtail, squishy, fixed roadie, fixed crosser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SPDs (or their clones) because the kick ass.
Old 01-13-11, 02:34 PM
ch1llg

Bikes: Specialized stump jumper, scott s20 and a specialized P1, Fuji Obey, Gt Zaskar carbon, Felt f95x

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crank brothers Egg beaters.
Old 01-13-11, 04:00 PM
Peacob

Bikes: lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the crank bros mallet pedal and i couldnt be happier... Yes they are a little heavier with the cage, but it makes it easy to jump on a quick ride and not have to use clipless shoes.
Old 01-17-11, 08:46 AM
dmac49

Bikes: Fuji, Specialized, Cannondale, Columbia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speedplay FROGs or ATAC both ahead of the rest.
Old 01-18-11, 12:08 AM
pretzelface
Cat 4 roadkill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get some Shimano PD-M520's - it's a basic pedal that works fine. If you've never used clipless pedals on a mountain bike before, you won't know what your preferences really are, so it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of money. Plus, using a common system like Shimano (or Crank Brothers) makes it easy to take your friends' bikes for a spin!

Then, when you have a better handle on what you want, you can go from there. If you decide you want good mud-clearing, you can buy Time ATACs. If you decide you want gobs of float, you can buy Speedplays. If you decide you want a pedal that'll snap at the spindle or seize and unscrew, you can buy Crank Bros.

FWIW, I'm very new to mountain biking (just built up my first "real" mountain bike a couple weeks ago), so my experience with MTB pedals comes mostly from commuting and cyclocross. 'Cross is basically a torture test for all your components; if you hang out in that scene, you'll see what each pedal's strengths and weaknesses really are. I've never seen anyone bring Speedplay pedals to a cross race, and the guys running Shimano have troubles with peanut-butter mud that users of superior systems can clip right through.

You also mentioned that your experience with clipless pedals has been with SPD-SL road pedals, so you might not be used to the amount of float on MTB pedals (some brands even float side-to-side!). It's there because they don't have an angle adjustment like your road pedals - suck it up and deal. It doesn't really suck that much power from your stroke.

Incidentally, if anyone came up with an adjustable-angle cleat for MTB use and a no-float option, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I love the red cleats for SPD-SL.