Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin 810/510...GPS/Navigation, turn by turn...etc...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Garmin 810/510...GPS/Navigation, turn by turn...etc...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-14, 07:14 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Riding with an Edge 800 and turn-by-turn absolutely rocks, and you won't hear the audible sucking noise of your phone's battery dying during your ride.

I've used lots of sites to get rides--bikeroutetoaster.com, ridewithgps.com, mapmyride.com... just depends on what the locals are using where you are. I use bikeroutetoaster to make most of my own, and with the map card installed the 800 figures out all the turns automatically.
Old 07-28-14, 08:01 PM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RL7836
As FL Vector has explained, the Garmin 500 does provide turn-by-turn guidance with street names & time / distance to next turn, etc (as long as you use tcx files with embedded cue sheets). Cue sheets are automatically created/embedded when you create the routes in RWGPS.

If you get tcx files from others (like a local club), the file may or may not have the embedded cue sheets - best to create your own so you know what's in there.
This is good to know stuff... Thanks for pointing this out.
Old 07-28-14, 08:40 PM
Cyril 

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think the navigational capabilities of Garmin units, in general, have been improved upon since the 605/705.
I'm still using a 705 (which I got in 2009) and it still navigates as it did when it was new.
I use it mostly for brevets and anything over 200km I use a battery pack /booster to increase battery life.
I think I can get 12 or 13 hours out of the battery now,but if it shortens I will replace the internal battery.
(Instructions on youtube)

A refurbished 705 is cheap and all the bugs have been worked out. ( fully beta tested )
Whats not to like?

just a thought.
Old 07-28-14, 09:06 PM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs
Dedicated hardware is ridiculous considering the capabilities of smartphones.
Except when you consider that the dedicated hardware often works better in terms of calculating and processing,etc. It may be app dependent, but some navigation apps on my smartphone are nowhere near as fast as the calculations and directions on a dedicated device. It takes much longer to calculate where you are, give you the next turn, etc. And that's with a phone that's only 2 years old.

Secondly, water resistance is a major plus of the dedicated devices, along with vastly superior battery life.
Old 07-29-14, 08:56 AM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cafzali
Except when you consider that the dedicated hardware often works better in terms of calculating and processing,etc. It may be app dependent, but some navigation apps on my smartphone are nowhere near as fast as the calculations and directions on a dedicated device. It takes much longer to calculate where you are, give you the next turn, etc. And that's with a phone that's only 2 years old.

Secondly, water resistance is a major plus of the dedicated devices, along with vastly superior battery life.
I think you're going to see the gap here close rapidly... Anyhow, I scored a good deal on a 510 & magnetless sensors, I'm just not sold on the 810's navigation capability...it would probably just piss me off...
Old 07-31-14, 05:03 PM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FLvector
My guess is somehow the embedded cue sheet is getting lost in the process. I'd suggest you give ridewithgps a try and see if it works for you. You just need to set up a free account. It's actually pretty easy once you learn the steps. I used to use mapmyride but couldn't figure out how to export into the garmin with a cue sheet. It's fine for printing cue sheets and maps. Give ridewithgps a try and be sure to export the file as a tcx file.
ok, so i went on that site and figured out what i was doing wrong. i upload routes as a TCX course from there, now i get the trail with the arrows when to turn and the cue sheet with the rows of street names and how far till i have to turn, so thank you. one question though. i prefer not having the breadcrumb trail with the arrows and having the cue sheet, i prefer just the cue sheet cause it's easier to follow and i'd rather not have to page through the trail, but i tried uploading it as a GPX Route file (which is exactly that) and my 500 doesn't recognize it, should it?!

when i connect it to my PC, i upload them to the new files folder, but when i disconnect my 500 those files never make it to the courses folder, they stay there. no matter how many times i connect and disconnect it, they're always in the new files folder...
Old 07-31-14, 07:13 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^ Sorry, I only use the TCX file and haven't tried using the GPX route, so not familiar with the process.

When using the TCX route you can just scroll through and leave it on the cue sheet page which will give you the next 3 turns as they come up. I don't like the breadcrumb trail page either.